Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2019, 5:29 pm

Programs: Airlines - Only in the pointy end on points, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by senatorbrown
hey, wondering if anyone knew if you could still pre authorize a certain amount on your credit card months before arrival? I found a blog that talked about doing it to maximize his aspire $250 resort credit.

Has anyone does this? If so - how do you do it?
You can ask to prepay some charges and the resort will send you a paper form to complete, they also ask for a copy of the card and ID. I have done it for paid upgrades and the sea plane.

I do this to mitigate some foreign exchange risk, activate travel insurance and meet minimum spend on new cards.

All my cards have listed the charge as "Conrad Maldives Rangali" not being in the US I can't say how the credit works but odds on it will do what you need to.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 5:30 pm

hey, wondering if anyone knew if you could still pre authorize a certain amount on your credit card months before arrival? I found a blog that talked about doing it to maximize his aspire $250 resort credit.

Has anyone does this? If so - how do you do it?
I had room upgrades charged recently for a stay in April. It triggered the Aspire credit about 1-2 days after the charge posted.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by draxxusbg

I had room upgrades charged recently for a stay in April. It triggered the Aspire credit about 1-2 days after the charge posted.
Same here. If you do a room upgrade they will charge the card immediately. The credit posted within a day or two.

I assume you are trying to get in credits that will expire before you arrive? If not, you can have them charge your card for any incedentials on the card when you are there. My wife and I both have a card. I had they run $250 on one card and th4 balance of our bill on another. Both credits posted within a day of two.
TD
Old Jan 24, 2019, 6:33 pm

What are the chances of them granting your request for a specific water villa? Do I have to wait til I get there to make the request (pending availability)? I’m just a gold member, not diamond.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by SponsorSFC
You can ask to prepay some charges and the resort will send you a paper form to complete, they also ask for a copy of the card and ID. I have done it for paid upgrades and the sea plane.

I do this to mitigate some foreign exchange risk, activate travel insurance and meet minimum spend on new cards.

All my cards have listed the charge as "Conrad Maldives Rangali" not being in the US I can't say how the credit works but odds on it will do what you need to.
Originally Posted by draxxusbg

Originally Posted by Traveler Dave

Same here. If you do a room upgrade they will charge the card immediately. The credit posted within a day or two.

I assume you are trying to get in credits that will expire before you arrive? If not, you can have them charge your card for any incedentials on the card when you are there. My wife and I both have a card. I had they run $250 on one card and th4 balance of our bill on another. Both credits posted within a day of two.
TD
Awesome - thanks for the help. I was under the impression Sea Plane and Room Upgrades were charged at the end of your stay when you settled the final bill. Also wondering if there would be a way to use someone else's Aspire in this scenario. for example: My Mom also has the Aspire card, and it looks like she won't be able to make it out to a resort this year - so I would give her $250, and she would pre-authorize $250 for me. Would anything like this work? I had read somewhere on another thread about a guy buying his friend's champagne for their honeymoon and it worked under his aspire credit. The guy wasn't at the resort and did it via email I believe.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by pineapple_09
Is the beach wide enough on the sunset side where the DBVs were? I remember the beach on the sunrise side being big but on the sunset side where the regular BVs are (closer to the Dhoni jetty) being almost non-existent, but if memory serves me right that’s not a problem in the DBV section?
This depends on the season and tides. Sorry I haven't kept my Beach Erosion post updated but you can get a general feel for whichever time of year you're going.

The quieter beach on the sunset side is more appealing. Trying to figure out best option as we’ll have our little one with us this time so wondering about the most kid-friendly option. What’s the water depth like on both sides? I can’t remember if it drops off quite quickly on the sunset side and is much shallower for a longer distance on the sunrise (reef) side.

And if the lagoon is much shallower on the sunrise side then that’s probably the more kid friendly one and just hope that they’ll be able to swing a renovated DBV on the sunset side for us.
The beach incline increases pretty quickly on the sunset side so not good for young kids. And considering the probable construction, it's looking like you're headed for the 200s.....

Has anybody stayed in one of the Junior Beach Suites? How did you find it? Or is the fact that it is connected to another villa not ideal? From looking at the floor plan, it looks like it’s a connecting room with a DBV?

MaldivesFreak, do you have any info?
Wish I could help you here but no, no advice sorry.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by gnomey
RE: Earning HH points

I believe restaurants and base room upsell/upgrade charge qualify for HH points
But has anyone gotten lucky and managed to get HH points even for diving, spa service, souvenir shopping etc cost charged under the Conrad Maldives bill?
Of course all spa treatments will earn points. As for others, no in my experience.

Originally Posted by canesfan
Anyone know if the special dinners at set in stone for a particular night of the week, or can change days? I know there's a C&L dinner, and BBQ dinner, not sure what other specialty dinners there are or what days of the week. Just trying to plan an excursion or 2 and don't want to plan it if there's a specialty dinner we want to do that night!
Champagne & Lobster and the Fisherman's BBQ are set on Saturdays and Wednesdays respectively.
The Cheese & Tapas is on Wednesdays and Sundays but flexible. The Cheese Fondue, which is on Mondays and Saturdays according to the planner, is also flexible. And finally the Wine Cellar Dinner is on Tuesdays and Fridays but again, is flexible. Just remember to let the host know your preference and if there are no other bookings for those and the locations are free, they will accommodate you. We've even had the Cheese Fondue in the Wine Cellar as we had never done the Wine Pairing / Wine Cellar Dinner before (we don't drink) and hence had never eaten in that location.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by Traveler Dave
Same here. If you do a room upgrade they will charge the card immediately.
This is mostly done at check-out.

Originally Posted by WorldTraveler1752
What are the chances of them granting your request for a specific water villa? Do I have to wait til I get there to make the request (pending availability)? I’m just a gold member, not diamond.
It depends solely on availability of that specific villa category and whether they can wrangle it (read adjust the jigsaw of rooms and guests (and there's also the possibility of others who are Hilton elites and returning guests already in line for it)). There is nothing you can do and no way to know. Making a request is possible but should be done at least a week out. They will assign it to you should it be possible (conditional on the above).

Last edited by MaldivesFreak; Jan 24, 2019 at 10:08 pm
Old Jan 24, 2019, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by WorldTraveler1752
I normally send them an email two weeks before I arrive. I have requested specific beach/water villas for stays in May 2016, Jan 2018 and Jan 2019 and my requests were granted even when I was gold in 2016-2018. I just became diamond in 2019.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 7:59 am

What are some DBV #s people recommend? I think we'd be looking for ones that are very quiet and private. Proximity to snorkeling or restaurants isn't a big deal.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 8:18 am

Programs: Priority Club Platinum & Ambassdor, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Champagne & Lobster and the Fisherman's BBQ are set on Saturdays and Wednesdays respectively.
The Cheese & Tapas is on Wednesdays and Sundays but flexible. The Cheese Fondue, which is on Mondays and Saturdays according to the planner, is also flexible. And finally the Wine Cellar Dinner is on Tuesdays and Fridays but again, is flexible. Just remember to let the host know your preference and if there are no other bookings for those and the locations are free, they will accommodate you. We've even had the Cheese Fondue in the Wine Cellar as we had never done the Wine Pairing / Wine Cellar Dinner before (we don't drink) and hence had never eaten in that location.
Thanks for the update! After more digging around, I also see where they have Maldivian night on Mondays. Wife and I are definitely in for the C&L dinner. Are there other specialty dinners, beside the C&L, that we should consider? Not sure I know about the Cheese & Tapas dinner. Is that a buffet too?

Last edited by canesfan; Jan 25, 2019 at 8:28 am
Old Jan 25, 2019, 8:24 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott PPE with Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Data point for 2019/2020 Festive Season

Just to provide another data point: I negotiated an upgrade rate of $194++/night to go from a water villa to a retreat water villa for 21 nights during the Dec 2019 - Jan 2020 festive season. I used the low figure for 2019 upgrade rates in the sticky as a reference point in my negotiations. Not sure if it helped but it is our third visit to Rangali and we are both diamonds.

Reservations on Hilton’s website all say Retreat Water Villa. Looking forward to snorkeling right off our villa and swimming to the drop off / house reef.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by brandonpkt
Just to provide another data point: I negotiated an upgrade rate of $194++/night to go from a water villa to a retreat water villa for 21 nights during the Dec 2019 - Jan 2020 festive season. I used the low figure for 2019 upgrade rates in the sticky as a reference point in my negotiations. Not sure if it helped but it is our third visit to Rangali and we are both diamonds.

Reservations on Hilton’s website all say Retreat Water Villa. Looking forward to snorkeling right off our villa and swimming to the drop off / house reef.

21 nights? Sounds amazing! Have a blast!
Old Jan 25, 2019, 8:32 am

We are booked to go to Conrad Maldives on May 17-22. I’ve read May is the worse tkme
to go, but we just didn’t have any other time to have our honeymoon. I know there’s a strong chance it’s gonna rain... but should we be concerned??
Old Jan 25, 2019, 9:03 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott PPE with Ambassador, Hilton Diamond

21 nights? Sounds amazing! Have a blast!

Thanks! I am finding that our Maldives addiction is taking more and more nights to quench every time we go...First visit was 8 nights, second visit was 11 nights, and now we are actually shooting for 23 nights on this visit

Either way it will still be fewer nights than @MF who is going for a full month, wish I could pull that off

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.