Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2019, 2:22 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Spire Amb
Originally Posted by fedechat
They didn't offer that when I was there 2 weeks ago, cocktail, lunch and dinner.

I got the fruit plate, chocolate, welcome card and the Rose sparkling wine 2 weeks ago as a Diamond member.

I didn't see a single mosquito during my stay, but a couple of big bats flying back and fort from the main island to the small island

During my stay the tide was low and windy on the big island, but I was able to see a couple of 3 and 4 ft reef sharks. The lifeguard was very nice, offering towels and loungers that were not occupied by the beach bungalow guests during their stays.
just one small counterpoint. Both my wife and I have received a single mosquito bite each. I received mine lounging in the Rangali bar.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 2:35 am

Programs: HH Diamond, BAEC
Carl, did you guys get a renovated DBV?
Old Jan 23, 2019, 7:28 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Spire Amb
Originally Posted by pineapple_09
Carl, did you guys get a renovated DBV?
I don't believe so. both of our deluxe beach villas had only 1 shower and didn't have the things described above. But we love it. Huge and so relaxing. So much better than the one night in the water villa.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 8:22 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott PPE with Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Carl Christensen
I don't believe so. both of our deluxe beach villas had only 1 shower and didn't have the things described above. But we love it. Huge and so relaxing. So much better than the one night in the water villa.

If you don’t mind me asking, in which which water villa type did you stay for your one night? The base water villa?
Old Jan 23, 2019, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by Carl Christensen
Oh! This is great to hear. I was worried I would really miss the water villa by staying in the Deluxe BV. We stayed in a regular water villa and a retreat water villa previously.

Are you on in the sunrise (200) side?
Old Jan 23, 2019, 9:25 am

Pics please! Sunrise DBV or sunset DBV?

sunset side.
i was told that DBV numbering in the high 120s.were recently renovated.
i think this part of the beach is quieter too if you dont particularly care to be located right in front of the snorkeling area.

sorry no pictures .
but trust me, if i were to do it all over again, i would choose to stay at DBV throughout and forget abt the WV.
I think WV is probably only worth doing as a one time thing for novelty sake
the DBV is much more spacious and relaxing, like carl said above

let me provide you other details from memory
- the main entrance door (wood) to the DBV actually lead you to the villa backyard area first, then you have to open a second entrance door (glass) before you actually step inside the villa itself.
- the backyard area is very nice, with slate/stone tiles. there is a daybed on an elevated platform, with 3-4 steps of stairs leading to it. there is a dyson fan there too. the bed is big enough for 3 adults to fit in if you wish. there is also a cane/wooden swing right next to the daybed, on the same elevated platform
- if you sleep on the daybed, you will be facing a mini stone fountain, and look directly into the deluxe beach villa since most of the villa walls/doors are all glass. the villa itself is surrounded on 3 sides by a 10 foot concrete wall, so there is no way someone can look into the villa unless they scale the wall. so basically, it's as if your villa is located within a fortress. the only side of the villa without the concrete wall is the front part where the plunge pool + beach are located
- the outdoor shower is also at the backyard, this is where you can wash your feet or snorkeling equipment easily

- you can walk from the outdoor shower area to the indoor shower area through another glass door, in like 6 steps. there are the typical jack and jill sinks, and the japanese bidet style toilet is right next to the indoor shower. shower gel + shampoo + etc are provided in the hotel style tube form, rather than in ceramic bottles like in the water villa.
- there is also a fairly large walk-in closet inside the villa
- there are two study desk nook inside the villa - one is a glass side table facing the backyard, and another is wooden table on the side of the villa. because it's a new renovation, i felt that the power outlets etc are more up to date and well-situated as well, compared to the older water villa.

- the flooring in the new deluxe beach villa is marble throughout, including the porch area right next to the plunge pool, but it is not polished marble, which is actually good bc otherwise it will be very slippery.
- the plunge pool (1.2 meter depth at the deepest) is located at the front yard, with sliding doors separating the villa itself from it. there are 2-3 deck chairs and a small table and also a pot filled with water + ladle where you can wash your feet

probably the only criticism i have abt this renovated unit (no idea how the old one look like) is that the front yard is not connected directly to the backyard. it would have been awesome if you can walk directly from the beach / plunge pool area (front yard) to the outdoor shower area (back yard) without 1) having to walk through the inside of the villa itself and risk having water drip everywhere along the path. OR 2) always remembering to have a key card with you in order to go through 2 sets of locked doors. it's not the end of the world, just a tad inconvenient

Last edited by gnomey; Jan 23, 2019 at 9:40 am
Old Jan 23, 2019, 10:15 am

Thanks so much gnomey, that’s a great review! Is the beach wide enough on the sunset side where the DBVs were? I remember the beach on the sunrise side being big but on the sunset side where the regular BVs are (closer to the Dhoni jetty) being almost non-existent, but if memory serves me right that’s not a problem in the DBV section?

The quieter beach on the sunset side is more appealing. Trying to figure out best option as we’ll have our little one with us this time so wondering about the most kid-friendly option. What’s the water depth like on both sides? I can’t remember if it drops off quite quickly on the sunset side and is much shallower for a longer distance on the sunrise (reef) side.

I really really want a renovated DBV rather than non-renovated. The majority of the renovations are on the sunset side. The other thing to consider is this potential for the renovations on the water villa island so a sunset DBV would have a view of construction work, hence why I’m thinking back over to the sunrise side is better. And if the lagoon is much shallower on the sunrise side then that’s probably the more kid friendly one and just hope that they’ll be able to swing a renovated DBV on the sunset side for us.

aaaahhhh!

Our last visit was over 5 years ago, hence why I’m striving for perfection here Thanks for the advice!
Old Jan 23, 2019, 10:47 am

Thanks so much gnomey, that’s a great review! Is the beach wide enough on the sunset side where the DBVs were? I remember the beach on the sunrise side being big but on the sunset side where the regular BVs are (closer to the Dhoni jetty) being almost non-existent, but if memory serves me right that’s not a problem in the DBV section?

The quieter beach on the sunset side is more appealing. Trying to figure out best option as we’ll have our little one with us this time so wondering about the most kid-friendly option. What’s the water depth like on both sides? I can’t remember if it drops off quite quickly on the sunset side and is much shallower for a longer distance on the sunrise (reef) side.

i cant recall the depth exactly but what i remembered is that the water is calmer on the sunset side at the DBV high 120s area.
but i believe adults can walk out to quite some distance on the water on both sides? although i didnt try to do that on the sunset side
as for the beach width, i think both are about the same. at least i didnt notice any perceivable differences, if any

we did request for the renovated DBV, but of course they didnt promise us anything.
we also requested the high 120s area (without realizing that those are in fact the villas that have been renovated first).
so i guess we were just lucky that everything work out well.
it's nice when you are the first few occupants staying at the renovated unit

the DBV numbered in the high 120s are actually quite far away from the Dhoni dock, much nearer to the mandhoo spa area.

Old Jan 23, 2019, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by gnomey
sunset side.
i was told that DBV numbering in the high 120s.were recently renovated.
i think this part of the beach is quieter too if you dont particularly care to be located right in front of the snorkeling area.

sorry no pictures .
but trust me, if i were to do it all over again, i would choose to stay at DBV throughout and forget abt the WV.
I think WV is probably only worth doing as a one time thing for novelty sake
the DBV is much more spacious and relaxing, like carl said above

let me provide you other details from memory
- the main entrance door (wood) to the DBV actually lead you to the villa backyard area first, then you have to open a second entrance door (glass) before you actually step inside the villa itself.
- the backyard area is very nice, with slate/stone tiles. there is a daybed on an elevated platform, with 3-4 steps of stairs leading to it. there is a dyson fan there too. the bed is big enough for 3 adults to fit in if you wish. there is also a cane/wooden swing right next to the daybed, on the same elevated platform
- if you sleep on the daybed, you will be facing a mini stone fountain, and look directly into the deluxe beach villa since most of the villa walls/doors are all glass. the villa itself is surrounded on 3 sides by a 10 foot concrete wall, so there is no way someone can look into the villa unless they scale the wall. so basically, it's as if your villa is located within a fortress. the only side of the villa without the concrete wall is the front part where the plunge pool + beach are located
- the outdoor shower is also at the backyard, this is where you can wash your feet or snorkeling equipment easily

- you can walk from the outdoor shower area to the indoor shower area through another glass door, in like 6 steps. there are the typical jack and jill sinks, and the japanese bidet style toilet is right next to the indoor shower. shower gel + shampoo + etc are provided in the hotel style tube form, rather than in ceramic bottles like in the water villa.
- there is also a fairly large walk-in closet inside the villa
- there are two study desk nook inside the villa - one is a glass side table facing the backyard, and another is wooden table on the side of the villa. because it's a new renovation, i felt that the power outlets etc are more up to date and well-situated as well, compared to the older water villa.

- the flooring in the new deluxe beach villa is marble throughout, including the porch area right next to the plunge pool, but it is not polished marble, which is actually good bc otherwise it will be very slippery.
- the plunge pool (1.2 meter depth at the deepest) is located at the front yard, with sliding doors separating the villa itself from it. there are 2-3 deck chairs and a small table and also a pot filled with water + ladle where you can wash your feet

probably the only criticism i have abt this renovated unit (no idea how the old one look like) is that the front yard is not connected directly to the backyard. it would have been awesome if you can walk directly from the beach / plunge pool area (front yard) to the outdoor shower area (back yard) without 1) having to walk through the inside of the villa itself and risk having water drip everywhere along the path. OR 2) always remembering to have a key card with you in order to go through 2 sets of locked doors. it's not the end of the world, just a tad inconvenient

Great review!

We we are going to be there this Summer with our 10 year old. From the pictures I have seen there does not seem to be a great place for her to sleep. From being in the room would you have a suggestion on where we would but a roll-away?

TD
Old Jan 23, 2019, 1:30 pm

Debating between the Dream Island excursion and Private Beach Dinner. Has anyone done these? Any thoughts?
Old Jan 23, 2019, 2:24 pm

Has anybody stayed in one of the Junior Beach Suites? How did you find it? Or is the fact that it is connected to another villa not ideal? From looking at the floor plan, it looks like it’s a connecting room with a DBV?

MaldivesFreak, do you have any info?

Considering upgrading from DBV for a couple of nights but not sure if it’s worth it or not. Thanks! (Sorry for the many questions - oh how the tables have turned! It used to be me answering a lot of the questions on here )
Old Jan 23, 2019, 3:28 pm

Has anybody at CR (or recently returned from CR) heard any additional conjecture re renovation/reconstruction/shut down of smaller island ?
Old Jan 23, 2019, 6:51 pm

Programs: Airlines - Only in the pointy end on points, Hilton Diamond

Oh! This is great to hear. I was worried I would really miss the water villa by staying in the Deluxe BV. We stayed in a regular water villa and a retreat water villa previously.

Are you on in the sunrise (200) side?
Just as an aside we stayed in a DBV and a WV on our last trip.

We preferred the DBV so you are not missing out, especially as you have already done the OWV thing.

Later in the year we are staying in a DBV for the majority then a few nights in a DWV as we were offered a good rate.

This is a walk through I did of our DBV a couple of years ago, obviously there will be some difference from the newly renovated DBV but gives you a reasonably good idea of what to expect.

This is the standard WV 318

Last edited by SponsorSFC; Feb 6, 2019 at 5:40 am Reason: Added WV video
Old Jan 23, 2019, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by Traveler Dave

Great review!

We we are going to be there this Summer with our 10 year old. From the pictures I have seen there does not seem to be a great place for her to sleep. From being in the room would you have a suggestion on where we would but a roll-away?

TD
they put the extra single mattress for the kid at the foot of the main bed.
if there is a second kid, they will convert the sofa (to become a bed).
it's all still comfortable, no worries.

10 adults can easily live in the villa if some are willing to sleep under the stars.
it's a huge unit.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 7:03 pm

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, DL PM, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by llfoster
Has anybody at CR (or recently returned from CR) heard any additional conjecture re renovation/reconstruction/shut down of smaller island ?
I was there a few days ago, and I heard the smaller island will be shut down starting in the summer and that the owners are still finalizing plans. Some of the impacted staff are already making plans for what they will do with the time off.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.