Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2019, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by bjywong
I was told previously on this forum that kids under two can eat for free at the resort. However, when I emailed the resort I received the following response:

"Hello can you confirm whether or not food/drink are free for children under two years old at your resort?

- We wish to inform you that children below 12 yrs can enjoy complimentary meals from kids menu, same meal plan as parents during the stay.

- Should the parents are on bed & breakfast, kids also will be entitled to bed & breakfast only."

This doesn't sound like they that would be able to eat free unless the parents purchased half board or a meal plan. We are diamond members so we are getting breakfast. Can anyone comment on recent experience if they have had an infant/toddler under two with them at the resort and if there are costs for their food for lunch/dinner?
so possibly kids under 12 might get free kids meals when parents order meals? That would be nice.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by vnfilm1

Did you do any snorkeling in deserted island trip . Is it easy to do for non-swimmer person . DH worries that there is no shade and we will get heavy sun burn and I am not a good swimmer, so safety is his concerns.
My husband and I just checked out from Conrad Rangali yesterday. We did not do the snorkeling @ a deserted island. But we did "Discover Snorkeling" ($50/per person) because I can't swim. It was a wonderful trip. We saw a turtle and a lot of fish. If you are nervous to get in the water, you can try this one first before going to a deserted island.

I got sunburn badly in 2016 from snorkeling @ Conrad Rangali. Lesson learned. So this trip I got a long sleeve shirt and long pants for swimming from Amazon. They really protected me from the sun.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 11:20 pm

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by vnfilm1
e) [...] And how much you normally tip after the service is done.
10% tip (service charge) is automatically added to your bill. No need to tip anything on top of that.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by goliath
10% tip (service charge) is automatically added to your bill. No need to tip anything on top of that.
....unless you want to.....I know the rooms cost $1000USD+ a night, but the hard workers don’t get paid based on the total of your bill....Not saying the OP is this person, but it always amazes me that people want 5-Star service for a 1-Star “tip”.

TD
Old Jan 20, 2019, 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by lincoln boy
so possibly kids under 12 might get free kids meals when parents order meals? That would be nice.
The polIcy is:

Kids under 6 eat for free with parents eating at a la carte restaurants.

Kids from 6 to 11 eat for free from the kids menu with parents eating at a la carte restaurants.

Kids from 6 to 11 pay 50% if ordering from the regular menu with parents eating at a la carte restaurants.

Drinks are charged at full price. Kids rates apply to special events (like beach BBQ, champagne & lobster BBQ etc.).

As always, YMMV.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 11:51 pm

Not wanting to get into the tip discussion again, but 2 quick remarks:
Originally Posted by Traveler Dave
I know the rooms cost $1000USD+ a night, but the hard workers don’t get paid based on the total of your bill...
From what I hear, see and read, employees at Conrad Rangali are paid and treated well. Do you know how the service charge is distributed? It was discussed previously in this thread.

Not saying the OP is this person, but it always amazes me that people want 5-Star service for a 1-Star “tip”

I would not consider a $20 tip for a 1 hours spa treatment a "1 star tip". We spend thousands of $ here (on top of the room cost), so automatically leave hundreds of $ in tip ("service charge")...
Old Jan 21, 2019, 5:21 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK Elite, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by goliath
The polIcy is:

Kids under 6 eat for free with parents eating at a la carte restaurants.

Kids from 6 to 11 eat for free from the kids menu with parents eating at a la carte restaurants.

Kids from 6 to 11 pay 50% if ordering from the regular menu with parents eating at a la carte restaurants.

Drinks are charged at full price. Kids rates apply to special events (like beach BBQ, champagne & lobster BBQ etc.).

As always, YMMV.
I guess they don't count Rangali Bar as an a la carte restaurant. Our kids only ordered from the kids menu, but we were told that kids under 6 were free when ordering from the kids menu and 6-11 paid the kids menu price. We had a 5 year old and an 8 year old, so effectively, one was for free. We only went to Rangali bar with them, so can't say for the other restaurants.

I should also add, we stayed over the festive season and everyday at the kids club they were given lunch (usually at around 3pm) for free. It was part of their festive season schedule at the kids club. Therefore, every evening, the kids weren't hungry, so that was a nice bonus for us.

Last edited by englisha; Jan 21, 2019 at 5:26 am
Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:57 pm
SST

Just got home from the Conrad and a stop in Singapore on the way home.

1). Manager Reception invitation was both via TV and via a card left on our bed the evening before. Held at Quiet Zone. Great opportunity to thank management, chat with staff.
2). They have vastly improved the WiFi coverage everywhere since our last visit. WiFi on the beach, at the Quiet Zone pool, outside at restaurants, etc. Bravo for correcting this.
3). We saw fewer and smaller rays this trip, but didn’t spend as much time snorkeling as on previous trips. No turtle sightings this time. Tiny sharks, 12-16”, abounded near the beach duiring the day, and were a joy to follow. We saw some larger sharks deeper, same black tip variety. These went up to 4’.
4). Our housekeeping fellow noted our request for ice buckets and that was nice. BTW, the rose sparkling wine provided to Diamonds is IMHO vastly improved. It was a Washington Chateau Ste Michelle product.
5). We stayed overnight in Male at the Sala Boutique Hotel. Price was about $180 with breakfast for two and it was fine. They have a good looking Thai restaurant in the hotel, if you get in earlier than we did. Nice staff.
6). They did a special Orthodox Christmas beach dinner for the large number of Russian guests on 1/6. It featured a good fireworks demonstration from a barge between the islands, off Sunset Grill, which made dinner there perfect!
7). No resumption of Movie Night yet......

More to come.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 3:20 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
....unless you want to.....I know the rooms cost $1000USD+ a night, but the hard workers don’t get paid based on the total of your bill....Not saying the OP is this person, but it always amazes me that people want 5-Star service for a 1-Star “tip”.
TD
It is not my problem (or my battle to fight) about what they get paid (or don't) or how much. They add a service charge to everything and I hope that goes back to the workers somehow. Some say they are well paid; most staff I have interacted with are happy (which I felt genuine) and have been long term employees. If things were that unsatisfactory, workers would leave - having Conrad Maldives on ones curriculum vitae will open doors to many resorts. In fact some Conrad employees are being poached by the Waldorf Astoria Maldives from what I am reading. That said, what I and we all can do, is be nice, friendly, respectful and smile to everyone, including those working to help us enjoy that 5* experience - even if I actually tip nothing.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 3:54 pm

Programs: LH Sen, HH Diamond, IC RA
Is there a special rule, who as a Diamond guest gets Ruinart champagne or the Rose sparkling wine? Booked 2 rooms for 2 different diamond returning guests. One got Ruinart the other Rose sparkling wine as a welcome gift...
Old Jan 21, 2019, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by alanslegal
to help us enjoy that 5* experience - even if I actually tip nothing.
Thank you providing a excellent example of what I was talking about in my previous post. With attitudes like that it is no wonder they “force” a 10% gratuity on everything.

TD
Old Jan 21, 2019, 5:16 pm

Thank you providing a excellent example of what I was talking about in my previous post. With attitudes like that it is no wonder they “force” a 10% gratuity on everything.
Outside of the US and A, workers are paid a fair wage to do their jobs and do not expect their palms greased in return for a job well done.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 5:53 pm
SST

Continuing from a couple posts back:

8). The water at both islands was stirred substantially by winds on days 1-3 of our 10 day stay. Few fish visible, and the shallower area off the pedestrian bridge seemed to be devoid of fish. All this changed mid day 3 when winds lessened substantially and either the clarity of the water improved or fish returned to shallower areas, probably both. For the last seven days of our stay, everything was normal with marine life present at the rate we’ve seen before everywhere, including the walkway in front of Mandhoo, along the shore, among the SWVs, and in the reef.
9). I went to great pains this time to obtain and bring sun lotion NOT containing oxybenzone etc., in order to do my part in preserving the reef. Two bottles were confiscated at HKG for being 115 ml, but I had already squeezed a good 70ml into a “legal” 100ml. bottle of another brand, and the crack security staff didn’t find my third bottle which was in a separate carryon (so much for the security of the plane). [Truth is, I think they simply had to find something in that bag, since they took it all apart and acted embarrassed that they didn’t find whatever set them off, so they took every bottle and examined it minutely after ten minutes, before announcing I’d lose the $40 worth of expensive lotion. Such theatre.]. I then looked in vain for the best lotion at all the pharmacies in CX’s HKG Terminal, and had to buy an overpriced Japanese brand, frustrated that I couldn’t read the ingredients, I hoped for the best.
10). Was a little miffed that TMA expected us to be at MLE airport at 6:30am after the 10pm arrival, but Conrad made it right by comping us the arrival day breakfast at 7:30 when we arrived. We’d had 11:30-5:15 “sleep”, and couldn’t get into our beach villa until 1:30. It was merciful, truly appreciated, and we enjoyed a 3 hour breakfast before retrieving swimsuits and getting some sun.
11). Special thanks to Azu, from Atoll Market breakfast for her consistently helpful service and friendly discussion most mornings, and Eve and her colleagues at the Rangali Bar for their equally friendly service and understanding that Americans like a LOT more ice with beverages constantly. The staff at the Conrad, many of whom have been there for 10 years or more, really are superb. It was great seeing so many of them again.
12). This is no doubt led from the top. Both the GM and Frantz, the F&B Manager, are accessible and friendly, and again took a personal interest in us and our experience— this is great. I am certain this has been the instruction to every staff member, from gardeners to the most senior managers. It’s that pervasive. Everyone wants you to have an exceptional experience.
13). Major Kudos: This trip, Binu, the chef at Atoll, personally made us a snapper dinner one night that was perhaps one of the best grilled fish I’ve had. He served it to us at Rangali Bar, whose staff kept our drinks coming and attended to our needs. After four trips to the resort, it certainly made this trip a special one. He’s a talented chef, and it was a pleasure talking with him and hearing stories of his mom and upbringing in India.

I think our friends find us bizarre for going halfway around the world repeatedly to enjoy the same expensive resort when there’s so many superb destinations and we travel so darned much; they, of course, haven’t been to the Conrad Maldives or they would understand this is a very special place.

I hope Blackstone’s full ownership is a positive, and they keep the magic this place has.

Old Jan 21, 2019, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by SST
Such theatre
Originally Posted by SST
Americans
We're on to you.
Originally Posted by SST
Both the GM and Frantz, the F&B Manager, are accessible and friendly, and again took a personal interest in us and our experience— this is great. I am certain this has been the instruction to every staff member, from gardeners to the most senior managers. It’s that pervasive. Everyone wants you to have an exceptional experience.
Frantz is a gem. I can't count the number of times we were out walking and he stopped, got off his bicycle, and asked how our stay was progressing. Such a friendly guy, and I really appreciate how he's brought influence of the One True Cuisine to paradise.

Originally Posted by SST
I think our friends find us bizarre for going halfway around the world repeatedly to enjoy the same expensive resort when there’s so many superb destinations and we travel so darned much; they, of course, haven’t been to the Conrad Maldives or they would understand this is a very special place.
Same reaction for us. But, someone who hasn't been couldn't understand.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 6:22 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum

TD

Absolute pleasure, nothing wrong with my attitude or custom. I did say be nice, friendly, respectful and smile to everyone, including those working regardless of (my) zero tipping. Anyway, according to many websites, tipping is not compulsory in the Maldives. A service charge is usually added ... to everything. So it nothing to do with the many people like me, coming from places where tipping is abnormal, that this service fee is charged.

But back to your point that to get a 5* service, you can't give a 1* tip .... really? This is a Conrad branded property and all guests should be expecting a level of service reflecting that premium brand. If they don't want to provide a solid level of service, then re-branding this resort to a Hampton By Hilton Maldives might be more appropriate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.