Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2019, 6:54 am

We currently have 7 nights booked at an OWV. Looking to upgrade and split nights between a SWV and an DBV. Wondering what people think would be a good combination. I'm leaning towards first 2 nights at the DBV and then 5 at SWV. I'd love being over water, but the DBV looks very cozy and think I would also enjoy it!
Old Jan 15, 2019, 7:16 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott PPE with Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pineapple_09
I just looked at the snorkelling map in the wiki. Sure no wonder I never saw turtles on the house reef!!!! I never went anywhere near that area (out past Mandhoo!!) I feel a bit silly now Although that snorkelling map hadn’t been done yet prior to our last visit! I’ll be on turtle watch so in a few months hopefully.
Yup! Just past Mandhoo by the RWVs, we would see turtles there at the beginning of our snorkel, we would typically follow them for a while - probably my favorite marine life to find. That area is alway a little les traveled by snorkelers at the resort because it is further away from the beach - definitely worth the swim out there!
Old Jan 15, 2019, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by pineapple_09
What time of the year have you guys seen turtles? We still haven’t been able to see one!
In August, we have seen turtles each time we snorkel in the coral area in the lagoon off of Retreat Villas ... think we are 8 for 8 times. I would say more often than not, we have seen turtles off the house reef - although I do not have a specific recollection as to the location on the
house reef
Old Jan 15, 2019, 10:01 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Originally Posted by Traveler Dave
July 2019

Upgrade from Water Villa to Deluxe Beach Villa US$ 127 ++

Upgrade from Water Villa to Retreat Water Villa US$ 275 + +

Upgrade from Water Villa to Deluxe Water Villa US$ 373 ++
Interesting. .. We're scheduled to be there beginning of July. Is there no Superior WV? It is the only one that seems affordable/value-wise to upgrade.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by mikewhyatt
That's pretty disappointing. Maybe I will need to look at a different resort then, my SO and I would like to enjoy our meals while on our honeymoon and not just make do...
If food is going to be a deal breaker, contact the Director of F&B and say you'd like to take some recipies with you and is it OK for them to make them while you're there. You can choose some favourites and I'm sure they will be more than happy to do it. I've had cakes and desserts made to specific online recipies, had them delivered to the room before check-in and made whilst at the resort mid-stay. All I've had to do is the above. They really take care of you. After all, what's Conrad's motto again? 'The luxury of being yourself'
Might as well make use of it.

Last edited by MaldivesFreak; Feb 5, 2019 at 9:02 am Reason: Typo
Old Jan 15, 2019, 11:13 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
DWVs have exclusivity and a guaranteed and unobstructed sunset view. They have a deck / sunset-facing bed, are quieter and spaced the furthest apart and there are only 6 of them. If this is your first time I'd stick with the SWVs if you are on a budget and upgrade if you are comfortable with the extra cash. Upgrading to which other category, however, would have to be based on whether you view a sunset view and a bed that faces the sunset (DWVs) as a deal breaker. Or maybe location but that's not really a big deal. Note that there is practically no coral outside the DWVs and the current is fairly strong. Basically give up any hope of snorkelling there however you can just swim 100m north and there'll be plenty of fish outside the SWVs. For me I'd choose a DWV as we love to lie on a sunset-facing bed listening to music and stare out at the ocean - during the day and to watch the sun go down. Unbeatable!

Should be fine. They plan to have everything finished well before then. I'll be there then as well. Catch up with you there!

Generally speaking there is tons of dead coral around the SWVs and consequently a lot more marine life. The RWVs only have small formations / patches of coral around half a metre to a metre wide and they are small in number and very spread out. The differences with the marine life being that around the RWVs there tends to be more larger creatures like rays, turtles and big fish. The reason being the depth of the water, with the area around them much deeper (see my Water Depth post linked in my sig) and able to accommodate the bigger creatures. The exception being you see more reef sharks around the SWVs.

Thank you @MaldivesFreak We are staying 12/25-12/31, so basically right after the Christmas Eve Gala ends and leaving right before the NYE Gala lol. Looks like Superior WV it is. I love snorkeling and seeing marine life, so that would be my priority. Also would prefer deep(er) water. Based on this, what Superior WV would you recommend? I would greatly appreciate your knowledge. Also, is this rebuild a definite development? Or just a rumor?
Old Jan 15, 2019, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by dcht
We currently have 7 nights booked at an OWV. Looking to upgrade and split nights between a SWV and an DBV. Wondering what people think would be a good combination. I'm leaning towards first 2 nights at the DBV and then 5 at SWV. I'd love being over water, but the DBV looks very cozy and think I would also enjoy it!
For 7 nights I'd be doing (and have done) 3 + 4 (or 4 + 3 if you have a more of a preference for land over water). The DBVs are awesome so consider at least 3 nights in one. If this was your second trip and you still wanted to do land and only had a BV rather than DBV, I'd recommend 2 + 5 as you've mentioned above, otherwise 3 + 4 or 4 + 3. My 2c.

Originally Posted by Wozza2404
So with my original plan of 5 nights here (Sat-Thurs) and then 3 nights at Gili Lankanfushi on the rocks due to Gili going up in smoke (and I am absolutely not prepared to pay Gili kind of money if there's any construction going on whatsoever), I'm now leaning towards either 5 nights here and 3 nights at the new WA (though that's risky with dates in late November 2019 meaning the resort will only have been open to guests for 5 months or so, most likely), or just doing 8 nights here.

For the 5 nights, and thanks to this thread, my plan was to just upgrade my WV booking to a SWV and I think I'll be happy enough with that. I probably don't want the hassle of changing rooms mid way through a 5 night stay. However if I were here for 8 nights I'd likely want to try something else, so my question is where would you go for three nights after a 5 night stay in a SWV? A RWV? Beach Suite? I'm really struggling to decide what would be best here.
If you've stayed in a BV before (by that I mean a villa on land in a destination like the Maldives) and you much prefer OW then by all means cross a BV off your list. If not, it's great to experience both land and water and in that order. My advice to you is 3 + 5 or 4 + 4; BV / DBV / BS + SWV. If you were to go OV only, then 3 + 5 or 4 + 4; SWV + RWV. That way you get to stay OW at both islands.

Last edited by MaldivesFreak; Jan 15, 2019 at 11:22 am
Old Jan 15, 2019, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by cce5858
Thank you @MaldivesFreak We are staying 12/25-12/31, so basically right after the Christmas Eve Gala ends and leaving right before the NYE Gala lol. Looks like Superior WV it is. I love snorkeling and seeing marine life, so that would be my priority. Also would prefer deep(er) water. Based on this, what Superior WV would you recommend? I would greatly appreciate your knowledge. Also, is this rebuild a definite development? Or just a rumor?
See the posts linked to in the wiki section titled Villa Selection: Superior Water Villas
Note that the depth of the lagoon on the whole western side of Rangali Island is the same, so you're not going to get any variance in depth based on which villa you choose. You'll just have to wait for high tide if you want to wade around or swim in deep water. BTW, at high tide you can safely swim over coral formations whereas at low tide you'll hit them.

Rebuild looks about as definite as you can get, it's just a matter of when, not if and redecorate vs. replace.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 2:07 pm
mbr

Programs: LX SEN, HH Diamond, IHG, Melia Silver, AVIS, Sixt
Yes, you get a really long list of items with checkboxes to tick. Add $15++ for delivery.
We just came back from Rangali and have been told by the host that room breakfast is fully charged for Diamonds now, not only the USD15 tray charge. We never used it though because we liked to go to Vilu too much so I cannot comment whether this info was correct.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 3:35 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
After all, what's Conrad's motto again? 'The luxury of being yourself'
Dropped in favor of "Never just stay. Stay inspired."
Old Jan 15, 2019, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by mbr
We just came back from Rangali and have been told by the host that room breakfast is fully charged for Diamonds now, not only the USD15 tray charge.
?!

That's disappointing.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 7:07 pm

Enjoy yourselves!
Awesome, thank you for all the suggestions
Old Jan 15, 2019, 9:24 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Spire Amb

State of erosion beginning of boardwalk towards spa.

State of erosion around 217-200

We got here on Tuesday the 15th. As diamonds, we were upgraded from beach villa to deluxe beach villa 217 for the first 5 nights booked on points. The next 10 days after that is booked currently as water villa. Will see if there is any upgrade or not. Prepared for not, but mildly hopeful!

Full review to come after a time.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 9:25 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Spire Amb
Originally Posted by mbr
We just came back from Rangali and have been told by the host that room breakfast is fully charged for Diamonds now, not only the USD15 tray charge. We never used it though because we liked to go to Vilu too much so I cannot comment whether this info was correct.
Originally Posted by lhrhappy
?!

That's disappointing.
We checked in yesterday and was told it was only $15 for the service charge of bringing it.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by Carl Christensen
We checked in yesterday and was told it was only $15 for the service charge of bringing it.
We’ve been here since the 6th and that’s what we were told also - just the tray charge. I still prefer to graze at the buffet than in room breakfast however.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.