Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Old Jan 2, 2019, 3:39 am

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Originally Posted by Splotly

Just back from meeting up with him again 5 mins ago. He lives in a discreet little hole in a small rock on the corner of the villa and can’t be more than 4 feet of water... but spends playtime on the larger rock at the back of the villa (same about 4 feet of water but maybe only 1 or 2 feet deep above it). Not sure what they eat but there’s a right pile of empty shells under the bigger rock.
In the mobile version, I didn't see what you were quoting at first and thought you were responding to the question about whether Mr. Nashid is still around and where he is...
Old Jan 2, 2019, 3:43 am

Programs: BA GGL; Virgin Gold; HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Football Fan

In the mobile version, I didn't see what you were quoting at first and thought you were responding to the question about whether Mr. Nashid is still around and where he is...
I saw him a couple of days ago - so he’s was definitely still here (but not sure if he’s still now as have only seen him around that one time)
Old Jan 2, 2019, 6:14 am

Programs: AA EP/4MM, DL GM/1MM, HH ♦, Bonvoy LT PLT, Hyatt Globalist, AMEX Bus Plt
Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Huh? TMA is owned by Blackstone who own Hilton. Could've just as easily been bad luck. There haven't been any real complaints on TA in probably more than a thousand reviews (maybe one with bags not arriving on the same flight but that's about it) so I think you might be reading into the hearsay too much.

After another read I see this bit "we were in one of the “executive” planes with the private jet-style layout" which might indicate a breakdown of a standard plane and they had to use the specially outfitted as a replacement.
There are recent posts here of both long waits for the seaplane to the resort and stressful short connection times on the return. I don't think thousands of past tripadvisor reviews would lessen the inconvenience to those that are experiencing these hiccups now. When there is a change of ownership there is no harm in keeping your antennae up to see if you can anticipate any service related issues.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 6:22 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by DIM
On my way back from the vacation the flight to BKK is leaving Male at 11.30 pm (((( the last flight from Rangali is around 5 pm, right? So, we have to wait around 5 hours in the airport and I’m just looking for the options.

They have a Malé tour you can do. We were originally going to do this, but we had stayed one night in Malé before heading to Rangali. Mrs. Majuki and I walked around on our own and went to the museum, so we felt as though we had already seen the highlights. There is a luggage storage service landside at the airport. We got one of the later seaplane departures, but we still had 6 hours or so (with the time change) once we got back to the airport. We rode out the time beginning in the food court (air conditioned), then the landside Priority Pass lounge (with a strict 2 hour time limit - and they are often full), and finally went airside when the check-in stand opened for our flight. There is a contract lounge airside which doesn't have much going for it other than it's air conditioned, and the decor feels like something out of the 1970s. I think practically every airline uses it as their lounge, so it can be crowded.

We felt as though paying for the Conrad lounge upon departure wasn't worth the price of admission, but I imagine it's likely to provide a quieter space than the terminal and associated lounges.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
For your Aspire related questions I would take a look at the consolidated thread and especially the wiki/FAQ as these are all answered there.

It would make zero sense to pay separately at each restaurant as you'd be missing out on all the Hilton points and bonuses that would come with the extra incidental spend by charging everything to your room.
Originally Posted by JRV62
Staying the 2nd week of April but have not emailed yet for upgrades, we were happy with the OWV in May/June last year and most likely will stay in it again. We have had BV in Bora Bora but not here and really prefer to be on the water. As far as the Aspire goes charge everything to your room, it will automatically trigger the credit.(basically everything except the seaplane triggers it and I'm not positive that the seaplane doesn't, I just don't remember). Also remember to sign up for any promotions they have available, I know we got 3x the points last time we were there.
JJ thanks for the thread, overlooked it... FT newbie problems

JRV, sounds good. I just received my "Welcome Email" and the agent provided a brochure of all of the rooms and asked which ones we were interested in. He offered the 30% discount on room upgrades (not sure if this is a Diamond offer). I am going to ask for quotes on the DBV, DWV and RWV and will post the response when I receive. Seems like the rates should be "low" since the standard Water Villa is going for $1,043 during my stay... we will see. The agent advised the Afternoon Tea was still included... I read a few pages back of this benefit possibly not being included.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 7:44 am

Programs: BA GGL; Virgin Gold; HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by gnomey
thanks!

i would like to know too. i want to look for mr octopus when i m there.
but splotly probably shouldnt announce until he leaves the resort for security reason
I went down to see him 3 times earlier in 3 different coloured shorts. He looked well impressed - he can only do grey and purple - amateur.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by texmanufan
There are recent posts here of both long waits for the seaplane to the resort and stressful short connection times on the return.
Sorry, must've missed those.

Originally Posted by gnomey
Just curious, when you order in-room breakfast dining, do you get to specify the dishes you want? and from where? (vilu or atoll market)?
Sorry, forgot to answer the last part of the question. Answer is Atoll Market kitchen.

Originally Posted by DIM
On my way back from the vacation the flight to BKK is leaving Male at 11.30 pm (((( the last flight from Rangali is around 5 pm, right? So, we have to wait around 5 hours in the airport and I’m just looking for the options.
- Conrad lounge is okay, but food menu is soooo limited. Just a panini and a small salad - and it costs 67.76/person.
- Welness spa (free with Priority pass) in international terminal is much worse, small/no food
- Never been to Moonimaa lounge in domestic terminal (also available with PP)
- it is also a lounge in VIP terminal but 175/person seems too expensive.
The last seaplane often leaves at 6 or 6:30PM. We hit the lounge every time and usually spend 3 1/2 to 4 hours there before we head off to the airport an hour before the flight (also after 11PM). We always take the deluxe package which gets us a proper dinner. You might want to consider it. Much better value than the $175 and much much quieter. We are usually the only ones left there after 8PM. After we arrive we have dinner pretty much straight away and then the other half has a shower and then gets some shuteye and I write my complaints to whoever is the GM at the time which usually fills up the remaining time quite nicely*. JK!

* that was just for you, Mr. Splot
Old Jan 2, 2019, 10:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hhonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, AVIS Presidents' Club
Dear All,

we plan to return for the third time soon and very likely will be soft landing to Silver at HH due to less trips than usual. I wouldn't mind it however we really liked the free breakfast option in the past as Diamond benefit and if we can say so the Happy hour we even enjoyed better each day at Vilu. It was great to get drunk a bit and watching those beautiful colors.

Anyone with similar experience here being not Gold or Diamond but got these perks as returning client? I wouldn't go without these things, both was part of our daily routine

Thanks,

Wadge
Old Jan 2, 2019, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by Wadge
Dear All,

we plan to return for the third time soon and very likely will be soft landing to Silver at HH due to less trips than usual. I wouldn't mind it however we really liked the free breakfast option in the past as Diamond benefit and if we can say so the Happy hour we even enjoyed better each day at Vilu. It was great to get drunk a bit and watching those beautiful colors.

Anyone with similar experience here being not Gold or Diamond but got these perks as returning client? I wouldn't go without these things, both was part of our daily routine

Thanks,

Wadge
Wadge have you considered getting the Aspire card, gives you Diamond benefits and $250 resort credit which helps offset the $450 annual fee.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by MaldivesFirstTimer
After a bottle of wine at dinner we had the aforementioned bottle of wine at room service. This was some of the better value available on the island – a perfectly clean and serviceable Chenin Blanc from Stellenbosch for $40++ (they don’t charge the $15 “tray charge” on a bottle of wine either). We got through a few too many of these bottles through the week.
Amazing review!
I wonder why only the bottle of wine for roomservice doesn't get $15++ charged. I thought anything they bring to room would cost $15++.
Did they bring only the bottle itself? or in a chiller? any complimentary sweet to be paired?

Last edited by trust0me; Jan 2, 2019 at 1:49 pm
Old Jan 2, 2019, 1:52 pm

Has anyone done the Dream Island excursion? Wondering how much it costs, etc.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 1:56 pm

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
For the price: see the link in the Wiki to the Excursions PDF.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 3:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hhonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, AVIS Presidents' Club
HH

Originally Posted by mikewhyatt
Wadge have you considered getting the Aspire card, gives you Diamond benefits and $250 resort credit which helps offset the $450 annual fee.
Good idea, thanks, but I don’t live in the US. In my market there is no any such card, shortcut or whatever... that I really miss.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by Wadge

I have never heard about a non-status guest getting these benefits. I would seriously look into any option to get at least Hilton Gold. The breakfast benefit alone is easily worth hundreds of dollars at this place.

If you have status with another program you could status match at https://statusmatch.hiltonhonors.com/ If not, maybe ask for a fast track to gold, that usually requires 4 stays in 90 days...
Old Jan 3, 2019, 3:17 am

Oh boy all this talk about the OWV getting a facelift is really putting a damper on my trip booked for end of May! I will be keeping a close eye on this thread for any updates re: the renovations as we have 6 nights booked in an OWV

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.