Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2018, 12:08 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Elite Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Aegan Gold, British Airways Bronze
Originally Posted by pineapple_09
I’ve read a few reviews about very noisy neighbours partying until the early hours in the beach villas. Is there any hotel policy on this? As in, will they tell them to keep it down? We experienced none of this when we stayed previously but then we stayed in a RWV / WV. This time we were going to book a DBV so am a bit worried now. Thanks.
We stayed at a DBV the first two nights and experienced none of that. We found the DBV to be more pleasant than the superior water villa...
Old Dec 27, 2018, 8:36 pm

Programs: UA MMGold, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by milgom
We stayed at a DBV the first two nights and experienced none of that. We found the DBV to be more pleasant than the superior water villa...
Stayed at Conrad Maldives twice, both times split the nights between BV and SWV.

First time we had neighbor with young children, constant heard children cry or sounds from children played outdoor. Second time we had a next door neighbor talked/argued loudly in their room for hours. We called front desk to report the situation when it continue on after midnight, but no improvement after some time so we had to call again. Later I heard someone knocked on their door and finally they stopped and it was close to 2:00AM. DBV probably is better as it is a standalone villa.

In SWV side, we also had a neighbor partying outdoor one night but in general mostly very peaceful and quiet during our both stays.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 12:28 am

Programs: BA GGL; Virgin Gold; HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by trust0me
Can you tell us more about how different it is around this time? Is it better than August or October in terms of weather, atmosphere, etc..
I am very curious about the mandatory NYE Gala Dinner. Are you planning to join them for it?
Early impressions as follows (but we only arrived on Boxing Day) - here until the 5th so no doubt my views might change plus I’m yet to experience NYE here yet!

The most noticeable difference has been that the place is genuinely busy. They always claim it’s at full occupancy in August but you can reliably book any restaurant only hours before and always get a seat on the beach in the bar etc and frankly the place feels extremely quiet with few people around at times - I guess somewhat lacking in atmosphere but very peaceful as a result. The last couple of nights (but it is festive season rather than simply December/January so I’d imagine I’m seeing an even more extreme version) have been by contrast extremely busy - hard to find a table on the sand in the bar to watch the sunset, some restaurants saying they’re full but they’ll find a way for us. The happy hour and aftertea absolutely max’d out.

The difference is also exaggerated by the difference in clientele. August seems to have couples and foursomes, with the odd kids and few large groups. This time of year seems to have more groups of 6/8+ than smaller groups and as you can imagine a lot of kids. However, strangely in terms of noise it’s rather quieter! Mainly Europeans and Japanese, so I guess stereotypically more reserved compared to the natural culture of the mainland Chinese who seem to dominate the bookings in August. It’s also very noticeably obvious that people here this time of year are vastly more wealthy. Our room (just a RWV) was $53k (versus about a fifth of that in August) for the 10 nights at rack-rate, which thank God we didn’t have to pay, so I guess it’s not surprise that we’re seeing the generality being people are sitting on the beach drinking the premium wines, playing continuously on the jet-blade, filling the restaurants etc rather than the buffet.

In the dozen or so August years we’ve come here we’ve only had a few days where the water has been like a flat sheet of glass. Equally it rarely noticeably wavy but nonetheless the difference between flat-calm and rippled water is huge when you’re walking along the oversea walkways and looking down into the water. It’s only a sample of a couple of days but people are telling me this time of year is normally like this. It’s a lot more humid and the sun feels stronger, but neither unbearable at all.

I’ve never eaten in the buffet here and was pretty anti the thought of doing so for NYE, but the staff we’ve got to know here over the years know us well and are telling us it’s pretty special and we’ll love it and it’s what we should do. Different in itself from August where the whole game appears to be to upsell people. So, we’re going to give it a go! I’ll let you know on Jan 1, but unlike MaldivesFreak who likes to be tucked up in bed by 8pm, earplugs inserted, determined to resist any fun, and laying in bed jotting down his notes on noise ready to be up at 6am and go complain on Jan 1.... we fully intend to ensure we are the ones being complained about for falling in the bushes giggling on the way home at 4am... so I may not post until Jan 2!

Also, the water sports guys have continued to come up with new things/ideas. They had new underwater jet skis in August which are lighter and faster... and today that came and found me and talked me into going outside the lagoon with them tomorrow for a couple of hours to play with dolphins chasing them along under water on them, which apparently the dolphins quite like! I’m pretty competitive so I hope to report back that the humans were victorious!

Using the jet blade this time of year appears to be out of the question though as the 8 year old kids doing it for their first time ever just seem to pick it up straight away and be brilliant at it... so you just look like a fool as an old person following them - and they stay and watch and laugh at you and of all the cheek then start coaching you from the beach!!

Last edited by Splotly; Dec 28, 2018 at 12:36 am
Old Dec 28, 2018, 1:06 am

Originally Posted by Splotly

Early impressions as follows (but we only arrived on Boxing Day) - here until the 5th so no doubt my views might change plus I’m yet to experience NYE here yet!

The most noticeable difference has been that the place is genuinely busy. They always claim it’s at full occupancy in August but you can reliably book any restaurant only hours before and always get a seat on the beach in the bar etc and frankly the place feels extremely quiet with few people around at times - I guess somewhat lacking in atmosphere but very peaceful as a result. The last couple of nights (but it is festive season rather than simply December/January so I’d imagine I’m seeing an even more extreme version) have been by contrast extremely busy - hard to find a table on the sand in the bar to watch the sunset, some restaurants saying they’re full but they’ll find a way for us. The happy hour and aftertea absolutely max’d out.

The difference is also exaggerated by the difference in clientele. August seems to have couples and foursomes, with the odd kids and few large groups. This time of year seems to have more groups of 6/8+ than smaller groups and as you can imagine a lot of kids. However, strangely in terms of noise it’s rather quieter! Mainly Europeans and Japanese, so I guess stereotypically more reserved compared to the natural culture of the mainland Chinese who seem to dominate the bookings in August. It’s also very noticeably obvious that people here this time of year are vastly more wealthy. Our room (just a RWV) was $53k (versus about a fifth of that in August) for the 10 nights at rack-rate, which thank God we didn’t have to pay, so I guess it’s not surprise that we’re seeing the generality being people are sitting on the beach drinking the premium wines, playing continuously on the jet-blade, filling the restaurants etc rather than the buffet.

In the dozen or so August years we’ve come here we’ve only had a few days where the water has been like a flat sheet of glass. Equally it rarely noticeably wavy but nonetheless the difference between flat-calm and rippled water is huge when you’re walking along the oversea walkways and looking down into the water. It’s only a sample of a couple of days but people are telling me this time of year is normally like this. It’s a lot more humid and the sun feels stronger, but neither unbearable at all.

I’ve never eaten in the buffet here and was pretty anti the thought of doing so for NYE, but the staff we’ve got to know here over the years know us well and are telling us it’s pretty special and we’ll love it and it’s what we should do. Different in itself from August where the whole game appears to be to upsell people. So, we’re going to give it a go! I’ll let you know on Jan 1, but unlike MaldivesFreak who likes to be tucked up in bed by 8pm, earplugs inserted, determined to resist any fun, and laying in bed jotting down his notes on noise ready to be up at 6am and go complain on Jan 1.... we fully intend to ensure we are the ones being complained about for falling in the bushes giggling on the way home at 4am... so I may not post until Jan 2!

Also, the water sports guys have continued to come up with new things/ideas. They had new underwater jet skis in August which are lighter and faster... and today that came and found me and talked me into going outside the lagoon with them tomorrow for a couple of hours to play with dolphins chasing them along under water on them, which apparently the dolphins quite like! I’m pretty competitive so I hope to report back that the humans were victorious!

Using the jet blade this time of year appears to be out of the question though as the 8 year old kids doing it for their first time ever just seem to pick it up straight away and be brilliant at it... so you just look like a fool as an old person following them - and they stay and watch and laugh at you and of all the cheek then start coaching you from the beach!!
haha, the third paragraph from the bottom is funny.

wow, would love to hear more abt the underwater jet ski. and your duel with the dolphins!
Old Dec 28, 2018, 3:18 am

Originally Posted by gnomey

wow, would love to hear more abt the underwater jet ski. and your duel with the dolphins!
Yes, never smart to risk the wrath of ‘the Freak’... I’ll be opening my FlyerTalk at arms length and with extreme caution for the coming hours!
Old Dec 28, 2018, 7:21 am

Old Dec 28, 2018, 7:24 am

This is great info. Thank you and enjoy! Looking forward hearing about udnerwater jet ski and NYE too
Old Dec 28, 2018, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by gnomey

same here. Would love to see a link about this.

Old Dec 28, 2018, 3:13 pm

Different in itself from August where the whole game appears to be to upsell people

They don't actually need to upsell Atoll Market. It's mainly because the Chinese go for the buffet dinners rather than the restaurants. This is for two reasons; the first being they (and their kids) want more choice and they know rice and other Asian dishes are on the menu. The second is because they are afraid of the menus at the other restaurants (some of them don't realize that there are menus translated into Chinese and with accompanying pictures) and wouldn't know what to order anyway. They generally dislike most Western food, especially Haute cuisine, and that's even if they haven't tried it. Koreans are the same. The Japanese, OTOH, are completely the opposite. The Chinese are lucky in a way because their country is so huge and there are a billion different dishes so they are incredibly spoilt for choice.....so you can kind of understand the attitude. However they are completely wrong to think that Chinese food is the be all and end all of delicious food - take them to a decent Mexican restaurant for example and they (under 50s) change their minds completely about Western food. The 180 degree turnaround is interesting to watch.

I’ll let you know on Jan 1, but unlike MaldivesFreak who likes to be tucked up in bed by 8pm, earplugs inserted, determined to resist any fun, and laying in bed jotting down his notes on noise ready to be up at 6am and go complain on Jan 1.... we fully intend to ensure we are the ones being complained about for falling in the bushes giggling on the way home at 4am... so I may not post until Jan 2!
Heh, you gotta love the Brits. Believe it or not I'm actually a night owl. It's nearly sunrise here right now so time to finish this post and get off FT and hit the sack. The other half is the one that likes to get to bed by 10 or 11 and she couldn't get to sleep even with earplugs until they actually stopped the music. And we were in 339, can you believe it. However I adjust to that bedtime too so i wasn't too thrilled about the bass travelling through the villa, especially considering the distance. What can you do (about those giggling drunkards falling in the bushes) eh?!
Old Dec 30, 2018, 5:01 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, BAEC
Spotly, any chance you could suss out the likelihood of if / when they might shut down the smaller island in order to renovate all the WVs? Thanks!
Old Dec 30, 2018, 10:56 pm

Spotly, any chance you could suss out the likelihood of if / when they might shut down the smaller island in order to renovate all the WVs? Thanks!
Will do - I’ll grab them at the new year cocktails later and pump them for info. And just to check, while they’re doing the changes we want:
1. Full length, juzucci lap pools added to them
2. Krug (free of charge and replenished daily) in the mini bar
3. Decks doubled in size, plus a slide into the water from the roof
4. More coral under the villas
5. A super-dooper loud sound system (with directional speakers that can be aimed at Villa 339 on New Year’s Eve next year)
6, And, of course it goes without saying, an underwater bedroom.

I did hear talk that they were considering closing the entire small island and just getting it done in one go. Seems like a massive job to me.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 4:09 am

3. Decks doubled in size, plus a slide into the water from the roof
Great idea! +1 to that. Make sure to request to add an inflatable to every villa. And each one multi-coloured and a different design. That should spice up the resort nicely! Oh, and water guns in each with a 100m tow line with powered retractable cable system with remote control. That way we can have water gun wars on the lagoon with multiple OWVs participating. ^^^

5. A super-dooper loud sound system (with directional speakers that can be aimed at Villa 339 on New Year’s Eve next year)
Again, very imaginitive but I've already got the one-up on ya. We'll be staying in a RWV on that night.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 7:07 am

Programs: HH Diamond, BAEC
Originally Posted by maldivesfreak
great idea! +1 to that. Make sure to request to add an inflatable to every villa. And each one multi-coloured and a different design. That should spice up the resort nicely! Oh, and water guns in each with a 100m tow line with powered retractable cable system with remote control. That way we can have water gun wars on the lagoon with multiple owvs participating. ^^^

again, very imaginitive but i've already got the one-up on ya. We'll be staying in a rwv on that night. :d
421? 😂😂😂
Old Dec 31, 2018, 7:30 am

Let's hope so.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 8:55 am

421? 😂😂😂
Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Let's hope so.
He’d hate it in that one, the waves make a hell of a racket going past it (plus it’s the best one so he’d have nothing to moan about)!

Currently sat at NYE party on the beach watching the band...this place is simply fabulous.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.