Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2018, 9:10 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by goliath
I don't see an further indication that "the Conrad Maldives might deflag" in the link provided. The sale has been discussed already further up. There's only speculation in this thread so far.
Originally Posted by captainamerica
I wouldnt worry. If there are major changes I doubt they would occur by march. I also don't think it would be beneficial for the new owners to leave the hilton family. A good portion of people who visit do it on points but still spend a lot on food, room upgrades, etc. By leaving the hilton they would be excluding a lot of their repeat customers.

But worst case there will always be the Waldorf Astoria opening up in 2019.
I just back tracked the thread, if interested folks that missed the details, earlier post started from #4249, 4251 and 4252.
So I guess the sale and handover of owners had already occurred.
Does Hilton have specific contract duration on these branding flags like Marriott?
If the contract doesn't expires for a few more years, it might be safe to assume there won't be any deflagging any time soon.

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Please stop the presumption. Thank you.
Sorry, don't mean to cause unnecessary panic, but we plan to book for Nov 19 next year, I know it's planning very far ahead, but if we know the chances of changes, then we might have to look into other options ie the Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi and SAii Lagoon Maldives, Curio Collection by Hilton, which will join the Hilton portfolio next year..
Old Dec 19, 2018, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by bluestrudels
I just back tracked the thread, if interested folks that missed the details, earlier post started from #4249, 4251 and 4252.

Does Hilton have specific contract duration on these branding flags like Marriott?
If the contract doesn't expires for a few more years, it might be safe to assume there won't be any deflagging any time soon.
Did you read the part where I talked about Irufushi? Hilton got the boot and 24hrs notice to pack up and leave.....and that wasn't even an ownership change.....so there's no comfort zone so to speak. I am looking forward to a 30-night stay at Rangali next December (all on points too) but I'm not speculating for the better nor worse because we just don't know what's going to happen.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 1:33 pm

I am looking forward to a 30-night stay at Rangali next December (all on points too)
holymoly, that's a lot of points, 2.28MM by my count! What's your secret?
Old Dec 19, 2018, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by ukinny2000
holymoly, that's a lot of points, 2.28MM by my count! What's your secret?
Yeah, what he said
Old Dec 19, 2018, 6:53 pm

No secret, unfortunately. Since I live outside of the US and in a country where there are no Hilton-branded CCs, it's cash cash cash and a measly 10 points per dollar spent.....so the hard way all the way. And since we travel at most twice a year, it's taken a long time to build up the balance. Won't regret the splurge though. Will be the best use of points ever!
Old Dec 21, 2018, 3:52 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
Since I live outside of the US and in a country where there are no Hilton-branded CCs, it's cash cash cash and a measly 10 points per dollar spent.....so the hard way all the way. .
I assume you are using an amex card to get points, as you have no hilton cc options ?

Anyway, sounds far from measly to me, on a normal hilton redemption, that works out at equivalent to about 3-4% cashback, which is pretty impressive and far more than you'll get for any credit card here in the UK (whether it's cash or points).

For a Rangali redemption, you could be seeing an equivalent 6-8% payout for your spending. Guessing 76K a night against say $500-600 inc tax per night in cash.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 5:23 am

He means the base 5ppd for HH spend and the 5 ppd diamond bonus I thought?
Which is measly compared to what people in the USA can earn with HH credit cards.
And also poor compared to the good old days of quadruple and triple HH points. One stay at Rangali I made as many points as I burned. The good ol days
Old Dec 21, 2018, 6:01 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
Originally Posted by Cynicor
Which is measly compared to what people in the USA can earn with HH credit cards.
And also poor compared to the good old days of quadruple and triple HH points. One stay at Rangali I made as many points as I burned. The good ol days
Ah I see, so the points come from actual stays, how old fashioned
That is an impressive effort then to gather up the required total.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 6:38 am

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
Regular points would be 10 points per Dollar + 10 point per Dollar Diamond bonus.

That is still possible these days. Right now, you can get 401k points for a stay at Rangali as a Diamond (100k base points -> triple points on "luxury & resort" stays + 100k Diamond bonus +1k MyWay benefit).
Old Dec 21, 2018, 8:37 am

For a stay next month, I was offered an upgrade: BV to DBV for $378.5++.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 8:53 am

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Originally Posted by goliath
Regular points would be 10 points per Dollar + 10 point per Dollar Diamond bonus.

That is still possible these days. Right now, you can get 401k points for a stay at Rangali as a Diamond (100k base points -> triple points on "luxury & resort" stays + 100k Diamond bonus +1k MyWay benefit).
We'll probably get close to that on our upcoming 10 night stay. I like that promo .
Old Dec 21, 2018, 9:39 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by gnomey
there's some posts in the past, where people have engaged with dive companies (non-conrad related) to do their excursions.

the company then come to conrad to pick them up from the dock.

tried messaging the person who did that before, but that person is no longer active in FT

who should you be talking to for this sort of things? your host upon arrival? or someone else beforehand?
I would suggest contacting the dive operations directly. I doubt that the island host would have any idea of who to contact or even would be in a position to send business away from the Rangali contracted dive operation.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by mgodara
Anyone currently here? We are going to Manager's reception tonight in Quite Zone - would love to meet fellow FTers.
Didnt know about this event. I also didn't get an invite lol... oh well
Old Dec 21, 2018, 10:15 am

Some tidbits from my stay:

- Multiple staff members said the new owners will keep the hotel under the Conrad brand.
-One staff member mentioned a contractual agreement until 2020 or 2022 that required the hotel to stay under the Conrad brand regardless of the owner. But still the new owners say they intend to keep it a Conrad branded hotel.
-A a few of the staff are moving to the Waldorf Astoria. Many staff members like the facts its closer to Male for them. Seems Hilton also wants to bring over some experienced members to the new resort
-The new owners have begun discussions to renovate the OWVs on the quiet island. This may start as early as May 2019. They understand the need to have better OWV to compete with new resorts. They may add 2 more sunset water villas. They're also exploring adding exclusive island rooms accessible only by speed boat.

Overall the staff seemed happy with the new owners. Lets see how much of this ends up being true. Thought I would share what I heard with you guys.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 10:28 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
Thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.