Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2018, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by captainamerica
I contacted the conrad maldives and they said the only refurb DBV are on the 100 side. Is the general consensus to request the highest number DBV on the 100 side? So roughly DBV 140 or whichever is closest?
Depends on what kind of beachfront you want. As you get further up the island you get those ugly wavebreakers.....

So maybe DBV ~135 is ideal? Anyone have a map of exact villa number locations?
You can work out the villa numbers from the map(s) that @goliath posted a couple of days ago. Where the blocks of BVs stop the DBVs start, so the first one after the blocks is 121 and then as you go clockwise the numbers get higher up to 140. Or you can just work your way anticlockwise from the northernmost villa (140).
Old Dec 8, 2018, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by brodielayne
When you going? When I was there last month the high 200's were in progress, and should be done soon. IMO this is the best part of the island, with a nice deep beach and soft sand.
I'll be there in a week. I guess they will still be in progress when I get there. I stayed in a 200's BV last year and loved the location. So the question is better beach location DBV vs renovated DBV with worse location. Any recommendations?

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Depends on what kind of beachfront you want. As you get further up the island you get those ugly wavebreakers.....

You can work out the villa numbers from the map(s) that @goliath posted a couple of days ago. Where the blocks of BVs stop the DBVs start, so the first one after the blocks is 121 and then as you go clockwise the numbers get higher up to 140. Or you can just work your way anticlockwise from the northernmost villa (140).
Good point. Looking back at the map it looks like ~130-135 may be "better" in terms of decent beach front while not being too close to the noisy part of the island. Decisions decisions...
Old Dec 8, 2018, 6:02 pm

I'll be there in a week. I guess they will still be in progress when I get there. I stayed in a 200's BV last year and loved the location. So the question is better beach location DBV vs renovated DBV with worse location. Any recommendations?

Good point. Looking back at the map it looks like ~130-135 may be "better" in terms of decent beach front while not being too close to the noisy part of the island. Decisions decisions...
I was in 227 which came with a nice long plunge pool, with my only objection being the long shrub next to the lounge chairs, which cut down on airflow. The sunrise is beautiful and the beach is vacant sans the workers raking the beach.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 7:59 pm

Hmmm.....another TA review (from yesterday) mentioning the photography and saying it's free
We were there at the beginning of November and got the free photography. My wife had actually brought up seeing if we could hire a photographer and I was putting it off, then saw a banner running across the hotel tv channel for it. Called the day before we left and was able to get a slot the next morning. The guy doing it now is actually named Yasmin, from Male and he has been at the Conrad for about 6 months. He did great, we ended up paying the $150 for all the pictures.

A couple other comments about our first time there:
1. We stayed backwards of what most people do. First 3 nights in a RWV (417), then the last 2 in a DBV (232). We did that becuase while we wanted to experience both, over the water was a dream of our and we would have spent the first 2 nights wondering what we were missing if we did the DBV first.
2. While I understand and can appreciate Maldivesfreak recommending people with later flight spend the night in Male, I can't imagine flying 24 hours around the world like we did to stay in a Male hotel. We wanted to get to the Conrad asap even if it meant late in the day.
3. I honestly don't see how anyone could complain about a single thing at this paradise. Some people must be pretty spoiled. Our 5 days were perfect.
4. We ate at Rangali bar every night. Sometimes split a pizza there for lunch also. I realize most people would think that's a waste, but the burgers, pizza, quesadilla, and pasta was great and we don't get too interested in super fancy food. Breakfast at Atoll Market was superb.
5. It wasn't until I saw the updated DBV pics a few post back that I realized our villa had not been updated. It was so amazing as is, we thought maybe it was one of the refurbished ones. Now that I realize they moved the sinks and stuff inside, that makes me kinda sad. We loved the outdoor shower and sinks, etc.
6. Only one time when my wife went to the over water spa did we use a buggy. We really enjoyed the walk from RWV 417 every morning for breakfast and the peaceful walk to the villa at night. No need for buggy rides. Just walk and enjoy nature.
7. Can't wait to go back. Just hit enough points to do it again.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by Hysch
4. We ate at Rangali bar every night. Sometimes split a pizza there for lunch also. I realize most people would think that's a waste, but the burgers, pizza, quesadilla, and pasta was great and we don't get too interested in super fancy food.
The ambience.....?
Old Dec 10, 2018, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by Hysch
We were there at the beginning of November and got the free photography. My wife had actually brought up seeing if we could hire a photographer and I was putting it off, then saw a banner running across the hotel tv channel for it. Called the day before we left and was able to get a slot the next morning. The guy doing it now is actually named Yasmin, from Male and he has been at the Conrad for about 6 months. He did great, we ended up paying the $150 for all the pictures.

A couple other comments about our first time there:
1. We stayed backwards of what most people do. First 3 nights in a RWV (417), then the last 2 in a DBV (232). We did that becuase while we wanted to experience both, over the water was a dream of our and we would have spent the first 2 nights wondering what we were missing if we did the DBV first.
2. While I understand and can appreciate Maldivesfreak recommending people with later flight spend the night in Male, I can't imagine flying 24 hours around the world like we did to stay in a Male hotel. We wanted to get to the Conrad asap even if it meant late in the day.
3. I honestly don't see how anyone could complain about a single thing at this paradise. Some people must be pretty spoiled. Our 5 days were perfect.
4. We ate at Rangali bar every night. Sometimes split a pizza there for lunch also. I realize most people would think that's a waste, but the burgers, pizza, quesadilla, and pasta was great and we don't get too interested in super fancy food. Breakfast at Atoll Market was superb.
5. It wasn't until I saw the updated DBV pics a few post back that I realized our villa had not been updated. It was so amazing as is, we thought maybe it was one of the refurbished ones. Now that I realize they moved the sinks and stuff inside, that makes me kinda sad. We loved the outdoor shower and sinks, etc.
6. Only one time when my wife went to the over water spa did we use a buggy. We really enjoyed the walk from RWV 417 every morning for breakfast and the peaceful walk to the villa at night. No need for buggy rides. Just walk and enjoy nature.
7. Can't wait to go back. Just hit enough points to do it again.
Thanks for your review. Not knocking on others on here, but it seems a lot want uber fancy things and get angry when things don't go 100% perfect. Give me a cheeseburger and fries and I'm a happy person.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 2:26 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, BAEC
Well I’ve always said the Rangali burger is awesome. I loved Rangali Bar, Sunset Grill and Vilu. My favourite was the Rangali burger and the Vilu chocolate fondant. On our last night, we had dinner at Rangali and they set up at a table right down by the water. After we had finished our main course, our island host went off and arranged for the Vilu chocolate fondant to be brought over to us, it was lovely!
Old Dec 10, 2018, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA EP/4MM, DL GM/1MM, HH ♦, Bonvoy LT PLT, Hyatt Globalist, AMEX Bus Plt
I'll hold off updating the wiki until a guest can confirm but in communicating with resort about an upcoming stay: Daily Happy Hour at Vilu restaurant for (Diamond/Gold) cardholder and one guest from 17.00 -. 18.00 hours. Wiki lists 4:30-5:30PM.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by texmanufan
I'll hold off updating the wiki until a guest can confirm but in communicating with resort about an upcoming stay: Daily Happy Hour at Vilu restaurant for (Diamond/Gold) cardholder and one guest from 17.00 -. 18.00 hours. Wiki lists 4:30-5:30PM.
Wiki is correct as of the beginning of November. Not sure when it changed, but that was the times for my stay.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 5:12 pm

Programs: Delta, Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott, Hyatt
I don't even bother with a host anymore. On our last few visits I've asked for one not to be assigned, not because they aren't good but after spending a lot of time getting to know Rangali before our first visit - and booking everything beforehand - I figure they could use the resources elsewhere. I just call reception if I need anything.

+1

Always wanted to catch someone doing villas in this order and ask them after their stay whether they thought water villa first then beach villa second would be their preference next time round.....or would they do beach villa first then water villa second. Could you do me a small favour and post back after your stay and tell me what you think. Cheers and enjoy the rest of your stay! I'm sure it'll be perfect!

Hi,

To be honest with you, i actually like the beach villas because our room is closer to the activities and more food choices like the Rangali bar, Atoll Market (has more options than the Vilu), Sunset grill, Ithaa, Spa retreat and all the water activities we did, plus it's actually better equipped than a regular water villas. I don't mind walking but these activities were scheduled on different days and i would found it less convenient to walk all the way from water villa 325 to the Atoll Market every morning (even if i know i could take the Dohnni) or i could just go to the Vilu. Just more of a convenience for me. The whole island is beautiful but to me, a water villa is not really a necessity here. I'll be happy with a beach villa the same exact way i'd be happy about a water villa. Of course the water villa offers better photo ops for your friends and family but other than that, i can be less convenience to an extent.
We even went to look at a recently refurbished deluxe villa and i couldn't really understand why anyone would spend the extra money for that either. It's just more spacious with the bathrooms inside and has a little tiny pool you can barely swim in. Again, i get it if you're going there with 4-5 people but if it's just 2-3 then the beach villa complete suits the need.
BTW, like some others have said, there's absolutely no point of having a host here. Our host Miwa was/is a great person. She's very warm and seems caring so i ended up just booking activities through her because i thought she would get some kind of incentive if i did. Other than that, you could just book everything yourself..

ALSO, just a btw comment. If you're from the east coast, expect your sleep schedule to coincide with when EVERYTHING fun is happening. I often woke up around 10ish and walked outside only to discover everything other than the Rangali bar is pretty much closed. I've sometimes slept from 11am Rangali Island time till about 6pm and ended up missing out on all the freebies at Vilu. I've also stayed up all morning over here.. I don't think we can ever prepare for that.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by pineapple_09
Well I’ve always said the Rangali burger is awesome. I loved Rangali Bar, Sunset Grill and Vilu. My favourite was the Rangali burger and the Vilu chocolate fondant. On our last night, we had dinner at Rangali and they set up at a table right down by the water. After we had finished our main course, our island host went off and arranged for the Vilu chocolate fondant to be brought over to us, it was lovely!
Right. Might as well personalize it. We've had other food delivered to Mandhoo and Sunset Grill and even the reverse like you with the chocolate fondant at Rangali Bar. You get the food you want and get to eat it wherever you want. Nothing like eating over the water, especially at Mandhoo. ^
Old Dec 10, 2018, 7:53 pm

Thanks for the feedback, @Membersince2013! Glad the rest of your stay went without a hitch.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 9:39 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Talking

Lots of recent burger talks ..... so has anyone taken a photo of the burger/s from Rangali Bar? The comment sounds nice but we actually eat with our eyes
Old Dec 10, 2018, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by dcht
Thanks for your review. Not knocking on others on here, but it seems a lot want uber fancy things and get angry when things don't go 100% perfect. Give me a cheeseburger and fries and I'm a happy person.
haha yeah

if you ask any travel agent, they would tell u that the most difficult customer to please is usually the one that always frequent high-end property or want to be wined / dined, vs, say, backpackers.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by alanslegal
Lots of recent burger talks ..... so has anyone taken a photo of the burger/s from Rangali Bar? The comment sounds nice but we actually eat with our eyes
I posted pics a year or two back of just the thing you want to see.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.