Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Old Nov 28, 2018, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by passionforhotels
Whoa! First of all, where's your sense of humour? Should have been pretty obvious by my sentence: "as a marginally more serious suggestion" that the suggestion to take the ferry wasn't serious.
Well.....no, because you have instructions and amounts in there that say what you have to do and how much you can save. You can't expect people to read the first paragraph which reads like a "Tip on how to do x while saving n dollars" then regard it as a joke. Maybe that was your intention when you wrote it, but.....

I did point out in my own post that taking the ferry would be a bad idea. In fact, I believe I called it 'hell'. But you know, if it makes you feel better to clarify that it would be a bad idea for anyone in this forum who isn't able to understand that 'hell' is not a good thing, by all means knock yourself out.
Yes, but any non-native English speaker (of which there are many reading this forum and thread, a couple of my friends included) could construe your post as 100% serious and really a way to do it, albeit while exaggerating the lack of comfort (remember how we use the word hell in English). As I pointed out for those people, there is no way in hell (oops, there we go again with that word, haha) it would save you anything and in fact cost more.

In a nutshell your semi-serious (or however you like to spin it), totally misleading post was pretty much worthless and so it got the derision it deserved. No offense, but if I see BS I will make an example out of it.

Secondly, you're wrong about ferry transfers. Any human being can catch a public ferry and hundreds of tourists to the Maldives do it every single day. You simply walk up to the ferry ticket office and buy a ticket.....but public ferries are just that: public. No need to book a guesthouse.
Well, fair enough if the rules have changed. I have read otherwise and on more than one aspect of the journey. Though I doubt that any foreigner can buy a ticket or get on a boat to any island that does not have either a resort or a guesthouse. Foreigners are / were? not allowed onto those islands without a letter of invitation approved by the authorities. So I suppose it begs the question: Have you done this yourself?

Regarding @mb123's screenshots, if the rules have changed, the transaction should go through after you enter your country of residence / passport number etc. Otherwise, just like on the Maldivian ferry website(s), it will come up with a message / popup saying that this service is only for locals / Maldivian residents like it did when I and others tried it. So this begs a question for you: have you done this yourself, mb123? Doesn't look like it based on what you wrote a few months ago and what your screenshots show. If you have, please provide pictures of your tickets that you held in your hand to get to Rangali. Something tells me I will be waiting an eternity to see them.....
Like I said, if the rules have changed, I stand corrected. Show us the Maldivian government law / website where it says that foreigners are now allowed to travel to islands themselves without showing reservation documents before boarding local ferries. Show us a completed transaction with the name of a non-Maldivian passport / ID holder on it. Show us pics of your tickets in hand at Maamigili getting onto the speedboat. Then, and only then, will people believe you and we can put all this speculation to rest.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 9:44 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by onlysuites
My suggestion is from personal experience when my flight got delayed by an hour and we missed the last sea plane out. Only option was to wait around till 11pm for a Domestic flight to a nearby island and then a 45min transfer via a boat to Conrad in the middle of the night.

When I was waiting at the airport from 4pm till 11pm I tried my best to figure out a quicker and better way of getting there but there wasn't and the airplane and boat transfer ended up costing almost the same as a 45min sea plane.
This experience reinforces the decision to spend the first night at a hotel in Mal rather than arrive at the hotel at 1-2 am hotel time.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I spent the night in the Muraka; it was AMAZING. I have pictures on my Instagram, but not sure if I am allowed to post the link.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
I spent the night in the Muraka; it was AMAZING. I have pictures on my Instagram, but not sure if I am allowed to post the link.
Pics or it didn't happen.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 12:48 pm

Nice. How much did you pay?
Old Nov 28, 2018, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Nice. How much did you pay?
I was a guest of the hotel. It was amazing!
Instagram link
Old Nov 28, 2018, 2:53 pm
soy

Programs: various
I am just back and there appear to be almost daily guests at Muraka - all press/promo stays from what I gathered.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 2:59 pm
soy

Regarding the renovated DBV. I am beginning to wonder if the photos posted earlier are a bit misleading. When leaving, we were speaking to people who spent part of their stay in a renovated DBV and they raved about it. Did not get to see any photos, so hopefully someone who stays there can post some here soon. Perhaps earlier fears were misplaced.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 2:19 am

Yes, but any non-native English speaker (of which there are many reading this forum and thread, a couple of my friends included) could construe your post as 100% serious and really a way to do it, albeit while exaggerating the lack of comfort (remember how we use the word hell in English). As I pointed out for those people, there is no way in hell (oops, there we go again with that word, haha) it would save you anything and in fact cost more.
Backpeddle all you want, but any advice that begins with "It certainly won't be fun" then goes on to explain the many ways it won't be fun and ends with the explicit instruction that it would be "everyone's idea of hell" can't be misinterpreted, native english speaker or not. Only you choose to have difficulties in understanding.

As for costing more, no it wouldn't. It just wouldn't be pleasant. The ferry ticket is around $10 per adult, half for children, so we're talking $30 for a family of four, plus whatever Rangali wanted to charge for the pickup. Let's say $400 each way. That comes to $860 for the return trip. A saving on the over $2,000 the OP is quoted for seaplanes. Clarification for the benefit of the hard of thinking: this is not a good way to transfer as it involves a long trip on a public ferry with limited facilities.

Well, fair enough if the rules have changed. I have read otherwise and on more than one aspect of the journey. Though I doubt that any foreigner can buy a ticket or get on a boat to any island that does not have either a resort or a guesthouse. Foreigners are / were? not allowed onto those islands without a letter of invitation approved by the authorities. So I suppose it begs the question: Have you done this yourself?
What rules? Are you perhaps thinking of the 1980s/90s when islands were out of bounds to everyone (even Maldivians needed a 'visa' to go to Male if they didn't live there)? You know that was rescinded about two decades ago? So far I've visited Mandhoo, Maamigili, Utheemu, Dhangethi, Kudahuvadhoo, Dharavandhoo, Hanimadhoo, Kamadhoo, Kudarikulu, Naifaru, Eydhafushi and a few others whose names I don't remember right now. No need for any paperwork.

Public ferries can be taken by anyone. They can't be booked online, you just show up, buy a ticket and board. The proof is the hundreds of tourists at the ferry terminal every day doing just that. Again for the hard of thinking: this is not a recommended or preferred method of transfer, it's simply mentioned as the cheapest option although with many major drawbacks that would make this option unsuitable for anyone except the more intrepid [clear enough?].

You can book at least one of the domestic airlines directly online: Flyme and all they need is a copy of your passport. I phoned and checked and they don't need proof of accommodation to issue a ticket, although that's a moot point for anyone who's already got a reservation at Rangali anyway. I don't think this would be a massive cost saving though - maybe a couple hundred at the most.

Seaplanes can't be booked directly but not because of any laws. They just didn't want to bother with the hassle of collecting payment from individual passengers when it was easier to bill the resorts.

Finally: pointing out the obvious yet again: getting the resort to handle your transfers is the easiest and most convenient method but also the most expensive. There are cheaper ways of transferring, but frankly with so many drawbacks it's not really worth it. But hey, if you're young, adventurous, have time on your hands and a bunch of points to use, here you go.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 2:55 pm
soy

Probably time to get back on track folks as this argument is going nowhere.
Even if its theoretically possible to get cheap transfers, there are so many drawbacks that anyone who seriously entertains these ideas is probably better off looking for a different holiday destination.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 7:55 pm

Programs: AA EP/4MM, DL GM/1MM, HH ♦, Bonvoy LT PLT, Hyatt Globalist, AMEX Bus Plt
Originally Posted by Majuki
This experience reinforces the decision to spend the first night at a hotel in Mal rather than arrive at the hotel at 1-2 am hotel time.
Another option is to overnight in CMB. Paid flights are often cheaper and Award travel easier to find in addition to cheaper hotels. Catch one of the early flights in to MLE in the morning.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 9:56 pm

Programs: OZ *G, HHonors Gold, Aclub Plat
Originally Posted by texmanufan

Another option is to overnight in CMB. Paid flights are often cheaper and Award travel easier to find in addition to cheaper hotels. Catch one of the early flights in to MLE in the morning.
Yup good advice... would rather do this than overnigt in Male if given a choice...
Old Nov 30, 2018, 3:20 am

Programs: HH Diamond, BAEC
Moving on swiftly ....

Can we talk about the renovated deluxe beach villas? Any photos? What exactly is changing?
Old Nov 30, 2018, 3:52 am

Programs: LH Sen, HH Diamond, IC RA
Fotos of DBV

Here are some fotos of the first renovated Model /Display Deluxe Beach Villa, not sure if the other renovated Villas are exactly the same.

Old Nov 30, 2018, 4:23 am

Programs: HH Diamond, BAEC
Thanks so much for the photos Tom! Is the bathroom in the DBV air-conditioned now? I didnt do much research at all into any of the beach villas previously because I only wanted to stay in a water villa so we stayed in a RWV and a WV. Only reason Im considering a beach villa now is because well have our little one with us on our next trip - Im assuming a beach villa is the better option for kids? My only worry is the bugs ... I seem to be a magnet for getting bitten by mosquitos!

What age do people tend to bring their children to stay in a water villa? I know theres some waiver you have to sign if you do so.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.