Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2018, 10:49 pm

All a matter of personal opinion, I guess. I prefer the older style with the non-intrusive flooring and overall a much brighter room. Almost every pool is a different shape and size. See the post a while back by @goliath that mentioned the pools (although you will not be able to know the exact size from the map posted). Having said that, none are super small so I really don't think you'll have an issue with even the smallest one.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by s879
We are planning our first trip from the UK. Have already booked the flights. However, realised that my children will be 12 years and 10 years by the time we travel next year and re the seaplane transfer, the 12 year old would get charged the adult amount. With the weak pound, this is bringing the cost of our family even more than the actual flights for all 4 of us! Any other suitable, good and very reliable way? I know people will say Rangali is not a place to save pennies but it is coming up to well over $2000 for the seaplane transfers.
Cheaper transfers? Yes, you can, but it certainly won't be fun! You could take the public ferry to Mandhoo (I think that's about an 8 hour ride in an open-sided dhoni with no facilities on board but only costs a few dollars per person) then ask Conrad to pick you up from there. As Mandhoo is close, they may do it free of charge or for not a huge amount. However, I think that trip would be everyone's idea of hell, even if it would save you around $1,800.

A marginally more serious suggestion would be to book a night in a nearby guesthouse, who could arrange cheaper domestic flight transfers, but then you've still got to pay for the boat to take you to Rangali. And really, do you want to spend your first night in paradise in a guesthouse?
Old Nov 26, 2018, 10:02 am

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by passionforhotels
[...] then ask Conrad to pick you up from there. As Mandhoo is close, they may do it free of charge or for not a huge amount.
YMMD.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by goliath
Another update after 12 days here - two thirds of our stay:

After the first five days with lots of rain and strong wind, the weather has now greatly improved and we were able to enjoy some near-perfect days and beautiful sunsets.

I haven't turned a single page in the books I brought with me and haven't been snorkelling at all so far. This may sound odd to some, but this time, it feels right to really do nothing at all - other than getting up late, walking (or taking the boat) over to breakfast, laying at the pool, walking (or taking the boat again) over to afternoon tea, freshening up and going to (or sometimes even skipping) dinner.

We have met many interesting people here and have spent hours of talking to them. Our daughter has constantly found new friends to play with and the guys at the kids club have taken great care of the kids as always. ^

Some updates on my previous post and some new thoughts and info I found noteworthy:

Internet (update):
The speed has improved in the meantime, speedtest.net is reporting 4.7Mbit/s to a server in Male (that equals about 35MB/min), I can now work remotely on a server in Europe without being kicked out all the time and our daughter has been able to stream Netflix without any issues.

When moving around, both my wife and I are still losing the connection on our phones multiple times a day which requires us to re-initiate the connection on the Hilton login page again, though.

Buggies / dhoni service (update):
We only used buggies a few times and waiting times have improved now. I think it helps that the dhoni / ferry has been operating again since the weather has improved and the wind has eased off.

Afternoon tea + cocktail hour (update):
We have come to like the combined event, but would still prefer it to be held at Mandhoo. Mandhoo has always been our favourite restaurant location (not necessarily the favourite menu, in my case - I prefer the cuts of meat to be bigger ). Now you can arrive at 4:30PM, still get something from the afternoon tea buffet and at the same time order drinks from the "happy hour" menu.

Some firsts (for us):
Not a first, but a new record: 35 minutes between touchdown of our plane at MLE and our arrival at the Rangali Lounge at the seaplane terminal. Very fast and efficent processes this time, from immigration to baggage delivery, from "meet & greet" by Conrad staff to check-in at TMA and the drive over to the seaplane terminal.

The first time we had excess baggage with TMA: You are allowed 30kg per person (every item is weighed, checked luggage as well as hand luggage) and we had 103kg between the three of us. I think the $5 (+12% tax) per kg of excess weight is a fair price. We paid $72.80 including tax for the extra 13kg.

The first time we are staying in a villa on Rangali Island: Pros of the DWV we are in: sunset views from bed, jacuzzi and bathtub, short walk over to Vilu for breakfast or afternoon tea / happy hour. ^ I think on a next visit, we would chose a RWV or FWV again because of their pros: more floorspace, daybed on the deck, showerhead with a hose (travelling with two girls with long hair...), glass floor underneath the vanity.

The first time we had breakfast at Vilu: We prefer this setting / location to the busy Atoll market and you can get most of the items from the kitchen (if you know that you can ask for them, the menu on the iPads is somewhat limited), but after a couple of days, we went back to Atoll market, which is easier for our daughter. Here she can pick and chose "a little bit of everything" without having to order full plates.

The first time we used laundry service: The prices are reasonable in comparison to other hotels / resorts worldwide, I would have expected higher prices here. Standard prices apply for "same day service" (pick up before 11AM, delivery by 9PM) or "next day service" (pick up after 11AM, delivery by 7PM next day). "Express service" (pick up between 8AM an 2PM, delivery within 4h hours) is 50% extra. Our laundry was picked up before 9AM yesterday and delivered around 8PM last night. See the complete list of prices in the pic below.

Some firsts scheduled for the remaining days:
  • Lobster and Champagne BBQ at the beach
  • Visit Ithaa for drinks
  • Lucky Dolphin Cruise
Villa pictures:
Thanks to management and other guests, I was able to take some pictures of:
  • Sunset Water Villa
  • Premier Water Villa
  • Renovated Deluxe Beach Villa
I will post those pics later on once I find the time, together with some updates on the renovated DBVs.

The things I love about this place - click on a picture for a larger view:

Arriving at the pool at 10:30AM with zero sunbeds occupied:

These views:

Laundry price list:

Did you provide an update on the renovated DBVs with your impressions/pictures? Maybe I missed it in the thread
Old Nov 26, 2018, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by soy
Should rename the 200-212 villas as 'Muraka View' as that is what dominates the view now. My wife thought it was the sea plane terminal at first and I cannot blame her, from a distance it has a certain public transit aesthetic.

Really should have painted the outside to make it fit in better, though their theory is that it will reflect the light to appear in various hues depending on conditions (even golden at times of a red sky). Also they wanted it to stand out, so I guess they succeeded with that even if it’s at the expense of those who have to look at the exterior of it
Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Thanks for that. I'll make a mental note to request something above 212 on subsequent visits.
Here are some recent pics showing the location of the Muraka. The second picture was take standing on the pier that leads to the RWVs.

Last edited by lizakramer; Nov 26, 2018 at 11:49 am Reason: Added 3rd photo
Old Nov 26, 2018, 4:05 pm

You could take the public ferry to Mandhoo (I think that's about an 8 hour ride in an open-sided dhoni with no facilities on board but only costs a few dollars per person)
If there have been some recent and drastic changes to the laws in the Maldives, please accept my apologies, but first, let me ask you this question: how does a non-Maldivian (without a work visa for a property at the destination he is looking to travel to) buy a ticket on a ferry? Online services, for example, don't allow for it and that's because foreigners are not allowed to buy tickets by themselves nor travel to islands by ferry without a valid reservation at the destination. So, since @s879 isn't able to buy tickets without a reservation, he must waste a whole day and has to stay at a 2-star hole before and after his 5-star stay at Rangali. That would add 2 nights onto his itinerary. Yeah, good idea.

then ask Conrad to pick you up from there. As Mandhoo is close, they may do it free of charge or for not a huge amount. However, I think that trip would be everyone's idea of hell, even if it would save you around $1,800.
Laughable to suggest they would pick you up free of charge! And I'm afraid it shows you have absolutely no idea how things work in the country. As for a not-huge-amount, and *cough* saving a massive $1800 *cough*, take this as an example: Mirihi is a stone's throw away at only 5km but the speedboat there is a whopping $370 per person and that's one way. And, need I point out, that $370 is more than a one-way journey on the seaplane per person.....and Mandhoo is 3km further away than Mirihi.

A marginally more serious suggestion would be to book a night in a nearby guesthouse, who could arrange cheaper domestic flight transfers
Um.....how much are these cheaper airfares exactly? Care to provide figures?

but then you've still got to pay for the boat to take you to Rangali.
Yeah, well we covered that one already.
And really, do you want to spend your first night in paradise in a guesthouse?
Correction: "first and last night"

So basically you've posted suggestions that are not possible, completely unrealistic and with absolutely no prices to back up what you say bar that of the $8 ferry which @s879 will not be able to take unless he stays in a guesthouse on Mandhoo (or Maamigili or wherever). Of course that's completely pointless as he and his family will have wasted 2 days and 2 nights, wasted the money for the guesthouse and the transfer from there to Rangali will be more than what it is for the seaplane.

The facts are simple.....

1a. transportation to resorts for tourists in the Maldives is a monopoly
1b. a resort will make speedboat-only transportation for arriving and departing guests equal to or greater than the cost of the seaplane (and pocket any difference should there be any)
2. try to get to Rangali and save money is a big waste of time

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Dec 1, 2018 at 1:44 pm Reason: remove personal insults, remove formatting of shouty summary at the end
Old Nov 27, 2018, 2:45 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond; Royal Ambassor
Hahaha says the other guy, who made the same suggestions a few months back. What kind of proof do you accept?
You are right, that you cannot make a direct ferry reservation. But you can do it via different companies like atolltransfer.com.
Or book for example a combined local flight-speed boat-transfer via the website transferotel.com, which is 150 US$ oneway per Person from Male Airport to Conrad Rangali, see screenshot attached. If you ad 1child (age 2-12) , it will be 220US$ ,so only 70$/child.

Yes of course it is more convenient and luxurious to wait in the Conrad seaplane lounge and go directly there, but if you are on a budget with 2-3 kids and want to save some money, this is a way of transport that one could consider, as it means a significant saving . So more money to spent on Rangali.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Dec 1, 2018 at 1:45 pm Reason: remove personal comment
Old Nov 27, 2018, 3:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
I have to agree with Maldivesfreak. If you are trying to save money on a transfer when going to the Maldives then this destination is not for you.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 3:49 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond; Royal Ambassor
Originally Posted by onlysuites
I have to agree with Maldivesfreak. If you are trying to save money on a transfer when going to the Maldives then this destination is not for you.
Why not save some money on transfer if you are a big family with kids?
It bothers me, that Maldivesfreak always claims, that alternative transport wouldn´t work.
-Using/Buying Airline points for First/Business-Flights to MLE is good/accepted
-Buying Hilton Honors points with up to 100% bonus/Daily Getaways to use at CM is also good.
- Sign-up bonuses for creditcards/ Free Night certificates are good.
- Buying Hilton Gift Cards with %OFF to use there is ok

- Saving on transfer is BAD???

Last edited by mb123; Nov 27, 2018 at 4:07 am
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:45 am

If there have been some recent and drastic changes to the laws in the Maldives, please accept my apologies, but first, let me ask you this question: how does a non-Maldivian (without a work visa for a property at the destination he is looking to travel to) buy a ticket on a ferry? Online services, for example, don't allow for it and that's because foreigners are not allowed to buy tickets by themselves nor travel to islands by ferry without a valid reservation at the destination. So, since @s879 isn't able to buy tickets without a reservation, he must waste a whole day and has to stay at a 2-star hole before and after his 5-star stay at Rangali. That would add 2 nights onto his itinerary. Yeah, good idea.
Whoa! First of all, where's your sense of humour? Should have been pretty obvious by my sentence: "as a marginally more serious suggestion" that the suggestion to take the ferry wasn't serious. I did point out in my own post that taking the ferry would be a bad idea. In fact, I believe I called it 'hell'. But you know, if it makes you feel better to clarify that it would be a bad idea for anyone in this forum who isn't able to understand that 'hell' is not a good thing, by all means knock yourself out.

Secondly, you're wrong about ferry transfers. Any human being can catch a public ferry and hundreds of tourists to the Maldives do it every single day. You simply walk up to the ferry ticket office and buy a ticket. Perhaps you're mistaking the monopoly that seaplane companies have, where it's true that tourists can't buy tickets, but public ferries are just that: public. No need to book a guesthouse.

As for the rest of your post, no point in responding as you've massively missed the point.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Dec 1, 2018 at 1:46 pm Reason: edited quote
Old Nov 27, 2018, 5:53 pm

Hi, I have been lurking on this page for the past couple weeks now trying to learn a little bit prior me going there next year in November (quite excited). I have a question though I tried to call Conrad Maldives and I always get the robo answer stating that the number I have dialed is not in service. Did anyone have any problem contacting them?

Also, my current reservation is on 11/17-11/22 any foods suggestion are welcome! My plan is to stay one night on the 16 on Male and take the first sea plane to the island the next day since this is what a lot of you have recommend. Also, thank you all that provide a huge resources on this forum and I really appreciate it!
Old Nov 27, 2018, 10:54 pm

i think it's good to try to think of strategies to save money, but no need to kill yourself over it.

and once the number of people in the party is above a certain N, it does make sense to charter a boat / arrange directly with a boatman. you can even make it a one night liveaboard trip if you are adventurous.

otherwise, be flexible with trip dates etc (before children turn 2, 12, or whatever). this helps reduce both the international flight cost as well as seaplane cost.

if nothing is amenable to change, then just have to pay up (and maybe take on a second part-time job in the meanwhile or "borrow" your travel budget from future years..)

and i fully agree that if you have the extreme penny pincher mindset before and during the trip, then this is not a trip for you. you wont be able to relax at all. you still have to pay for food while there even though you may have fully funded your accommodation with HH points and choose not to partake in any excursions - unless you pack your whole stash of camping supplies there LOL). you will just be constantly stressed out and cant enjoy yourself. i would rather stay at home if that's the case. so if you decide to go, then let go, enjoy, and be prepared to spend within reason.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 11:36 pm

Hi shosana.

There was another member a little while back that had the same problem with trying to call in. It was their service provider in the US that was causing the problems with them calling from a mobile phone. Can't remember which one.

Good move to overnight and get there early. You won't regret it.

For 5 nights I would suggest the following evening dinners (Must-dos are bolded and I have included days where restaurants are closed so keep this in mind should you re-arrange this plan);
Sun 17th: Chill out at Rangali Bar, try Atoll Market buffet or maybe go to Ufaa (closed on Wednesdays) if you fancy some Chinese food
Mon 18th: Vilu (closed on Wednesdays & Saturdays)
Tue 19th: Mandhoo (closed on Mondays)
Wed 20th: Fisherman's BBQ (this is on the beach and highly recommended. If this is cancelled due to weather you could try a Cheese Fondue or Cheese & Tapas dinner)
Thu 21st: Sunset Grill

I would put Ithaa somewhere in there for lunch (so it doesn't take up a dinner slot and it will save you some money as dinner is considerably more expensive). Book 2 weeks out for Ithaa and a few days out for everything else just to be on the safe side.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mb123
Why not save some money on transfer if you are a big family with kids?
My suggestion is from personal experience when my flight got delayed by an hour and we missed the last sea plane out. Only option was to wait around till 11pm for a Domestic flight to a nearby island and then a 45min transfer via a boat to Conrad in the middle of the night.

When I was waiting at the airport from 4pm till 11pm I tried my best to figure out a quicker and better way of getting there but there wasn't and the airplane and boat transfer ended up costing almost the same as a 45min sea plane.

Feel free to figure out a way to get to local islands and then to Conrad. Just saying that you won't save much with all the hassle that you will go through. Also what guarantee will you have that a local boat will pick you up from Conrad on the way back. What if they don't? You miss your flight from Male?

The kids are half price anyway for a sea plane. Take pot noodles and skip a couple of meals. That will save you more or less what you will save on the sea plane and trust me you will have a much easier stay.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 6:33 am

Hi shosana.

There was another member a little while back that had the same problem with trying to call in. It was their service provider in the US that was causing the problems with them calling from a mobile phone. Can't remember which one.

Good move to overnight and get there early. You won't regret it.

For 5 nights I would suggest the following evening dinners (Must-dos are bolded and I have included days where restaurants are closed so keep this in mind should you re-arrange this plan);
Sun 17th: Chill out at Rangali Bar, try Atoll Market buffet or maybe go to Ufaa (closed on Wednesdays) if you fancy some Chinese food
Mon 18th: Vilu (closed on Wednesdays & Saturdays)
Tue 19th: Mandhoo (closed on Mondays)
Wed 20th: Fisherman's BBQ (this is on the beach and highly recommended. If this is cancelled due to weather you could try a Cheese Fondue or Cheese & Tapas dinner)
Thu 21st: Sunset Grill

I would put Ithaa somewhere in there for lunch (so it doesn't take up a dinner slot and it will save you some money as dinner is considerably more expensive). Book 2 weeks out for Ithaa and a few days out for everything else just to be on the safe side.
Thank you for your contributions and suggestions. That is weird I am able to call outside the US with no problem for some reason can't reach Maldives, will try again later.

In terms of Ithaa, is there a significant difference between lunch and dinner? I believe I saw someone mentioned that it is better to do lunch as you can have a clear view of the fishes. For the fisherman BBQ what kind of foods are being served? Is this kinda like a buffet?

Thank you in advance!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.