Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Old Oct 25, 2018, 4:10 am

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by s879
Thanks Goliath. The email says Water Villa island has a quiet zone and the pool and bar does not allow kids under 16 whereas the Main Pool on the main island is open to all. Hence, I thought maybe this part is only suitable for adults. Wouldn't want to be hushing my kids all the time! How far is the main pool from where the Water Villas and Family WV are, in minutes roughly?
The quiet zone is on a small part of the beach on Rangali Island. There are no Water Villas next to it, so you would have to walk there on purpose.

Main pool to 1st FWV / RWV at the end of Rangalifinolhu (main) Island: ~8...10min walk (800m)
Main pool to 1st WV on Rangali Island across the bridge: about the same

(you can take a good look on google maps)
Old Oct 25, 2018, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by goliath
2 Adults and 2 Kids
I thought they were talking about seat assignments.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 6:49 am

Programs: AA, EXP, HH Diamond
OK, AllSet except for F&B

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
The numbers; main +960 668 0629, reservations +960 668 0109, work for me. You might be dialling it wrong.
As for an F&B plan, I mean which restaurants to visit, what special dinners to choose and in which order.
The Diamond Desk got the resort on the phone for me last night because my direct dial wasn’t working (must be a sprint thing). I managed to get an upgrade to a RWV for the $216 price quoted earlier. First night (10/25)will be in an OWV since we arrive so late, then we switch to RWV for the next 7 nights. Once I was asked for (and was given) the RWV price, I didn’t even go for a DBV as my wife really wants to be overwater. Hoping we get the sunset side.....

MAldivesFreak - I will gladly take recommendations for meals. Likely, we will rarely eat lunch as we tend to be big breakfast eaters....but if there is a lunch you strongly recommend, we will absolutely try it.

Thanks so much! Wish I could have discovered the board earlier but all seems to be moving along!
Old Oct 25, 2018, 6:57 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by FleyeSkyHigh
I thought the same thing until I got to Rangali. I have visited Conrad Bora Bora twice. Stayed once in the Presidential OWV and once in the King Pool OWV.

There is absolutely no comparison between the Bora Bora Presidential Suite and the Rangali Sunset OWV. The Bora Bora Presidential Suite is FAR superior in every possible way. You can't really compare them to the Royal OWVs either though since the Sunset OWV is quite larger.

I would compare the Bora Bora King Pool Over Water Villa (which is skipping the Bora Bora Royal Pool OWVs) to the Rangali Premier Water Villa. Again, the Bora Bora King Pool also is a bit better in my opinion.

Rangali has nothing that really stacks up to the Royal Pool OWV (their second best villas in Bora Bora).

The only similarities that these two resorts have in common are they are both located in some of the most picturesque locations in the world. I would say the quality of the Spa services at Rangali have a slight edge over Bora Bora but the facilities in Bora Bora again are far superior. In fairness to Rangali, they have quite a bit of unique beach offerings that Bora Bora does not have. But Bora Bora has the mountains instead which the Maldives obviously lack. In addition, while both are quite pricey, I did not feel like I was getting nickeled and dimed in Bora Bora the way I did at Rangali.

My advice to anyone would be to visit Rangali first and Bora Bora second, otherwise if you do them in the reverse order you may be disappointed by Rangali. Not that Ranali is bad by any stretch it's just the Conrad Bora Bora sets the bar extremely high. Based on this thread I truly wish I had visited Rangali several years earlier perhaps (2018 was my first time).
Like you and many here, we have also been to both Conrads at Bora Bora and the Maldives. Sure the Royal Villa is special (didn't stay there) just my Deluxe Overwater Villa was two villas away and I saw it every day as we were leaving/coming to my villa so call me envious. Now the hard product at Bora Bora is fantastic, everything looks fresh and modern, up to date, the grounds are meticulous, the pool area stunning and not affected by seaplanes like it is at the Maldives. Getting around with bicycles is fun, but walking around Maldives bare feet for your entire stay - just as fun.

Now the not so good ... entry level rooms at Bora Bora are apartment style; whilst Maldives have Beach Villas - which lead you straight onto the beach and into the water. Can't do that at some/many rooms in Bora Bora, including the suites, garden villas, horizon villas. Bora Bora has way less restaurants, no underwater restaurant either. Breakfast in Bora Bora is at the same location, being a restaurant located on level one, does not provide a variety like the Maldives or more importantly, lacking the intimate experience you can get being close/on the water such as as Vilu or even at Atoll where you can have sand between your toes.

The overwater villas at in Bora Bora beats the Maldives overwater villas in the same category hands down, that said, having a hot tub is more fun rather than a plunge pool but that's a personal preference.

At Bora Bora you can head out to the main island and top up on food/snacks/gifts and more importantly, alcohol. Also you can have lunch or early dinner at a variety of mainland restaurants before heading back in the evening.

Either way there are pros and cons to either resort and I wouldn't hesitate to go back to both - they are both pretty special places, bucket list destinations - and to practice what I preach, I am returning to both resorts in March and September next year.

However for me the ultimate villa I would want to stay at, are the Two Bedroom Brando Suites at the Intercontinental Thalasso Bora Bora. We have also stayed at the IC Thalasso in 2016, and this year, and we would kayak past it - it was huge - and like three times the size of our overwater villa (and our villa was still around 1200sqf).
Old Oct 25, 2018, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by alanslegal
Like you and many here, we have also been to both Conrads at Bora Bora and the Maldives. Sure the Royal Villa is special (didn't stay there) just my Deluxe Overwater Villa was two villas away and I saw it every day as we were leaving/coming to my villa so call me envious. Now the hard product at Bora Bora is fantastic, everything looks fresh and modern, up to date, the grounds are meticulous, the pool area stunning and not affected by seaplanes like it is at the Maldives. Getting around with bicycles is fun, but walking around Maldives bare feet for your entire stay - just as fun.

Now the not so good ... entry level rooms at Bora Bora are apartment style; whilst Maldives have Beach Villas - which lead you straight onto the beach and into the water. Can't do that at some/many rooms in Bora Bora, including the suites, garden villas, horizon villas. Bora Bora has way less restaurants, no underwater restaurant either. Breakfast in Bora Bora is at the same location, being a restaurant located on level one, does not provide a variety like the Maldives or more importantly, lacking the intimate experience you can get being close/on the water such as as Vilu or even at Atoll where you can have sand between your toes.

The overwater villas at in Bora Bora beats the Maldives overwater villas in the same category hands down, that said, having a hot tub is more fun rather than a plunge pool but that's a personal preference.

At Bora Bora you can head out to the main island and top up on food/snacks/gifts and more importantly, alcohol. Also you can have lunch or early dinner at a variety of mainland restaurants before heading back in the evening.

Either way there are pros and cons to either resort and I wouldn't hesitate to go back to both - they are both pretty special places, bucket list destinations - and to practice what I preach, I am returning to both resorts in March and September next year.

However for me the ultimate villa I would want to stay at, are the Two Bedroom Brando Suites at the Intercontinental Thalasso Bora Bora. We have also stayed at the IC Thalasso in 2016, and this year, and we would kayak past it - it was huge - and like three times the size of our overwater villa (and our villa was still around 1200sqf).
I fully agree with everything you just said! Great points about the disparity between entry level rooms at Conrad Bora Bora compared to Rangali. Both have pros and cons and much of it comes down to personal preference. At the end of the day, if a person is fortunate to have visited either at least once in their lifetime they are definitely winning. It's funny you just mentioned IC Thalasso... I am planning a trip there next June as a stop-off in French Polynesia en-route to Auckland and am right now working angles for a paid upgrade to the One Bedroom Brando Suite (albeit at a highly discounted price as an IHG Royal Ambassador). I will PM you if I have good success.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 11:37 am

Programs: HY DIA, HI Gold, M Plat, SPG Gold, AC Plat
Is afternoon tea still around?

So I reread the logistics email I received and I originally misread it. The happy hour is mentioned but the tea is not as a benefit. Did they get rid of the tea or do they just not typically mentiom it in the email for gold/diamond benefits?

I found mentions of them moving it in the thread to Vilu, bit that was all I found.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 11:51 am

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
Afternoon tea 16:00 - 17:00 at Vilu
Cocktails / Happy hour 16:30 - 17:30 at Vilu
Old Oct 25, 2018, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by Bcacho

The Diamond Desk got the resort on the phone for me last night because my direct dial wasn’t working (must be a sprint thing). I managed to get an upgrade to a RWV for the $216 price quoted earlier. First night (10/25)will be in an OWV since we arrive so late, then we switch to RWV for the next 7 nights. Once I was asked for (and was given) the RWV price, I didn’t even go for a DBV as my wife really wants to be overwater. Hoping we get the sunset side.....

MAldivesFreak - I will gladly take recommendations for meals. Likely, we will rarely eat lunch as we tend to be big breakfast eaters....but if there is a lunch you strongly recommend, we will absolutely try it.

Thanks so much! Wish I could have discovered the board earlier but all seems to be moving along!
Awesome. We arrive 10/31 for five nights.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by goliath
We never had to sign a waiver for taking a kid into any type of water villa.
They realize that you're a gentle giant that would never turn on them and try and take them to court if something happened. :-P

Hoping we get the sunset side.....
Make sure you email them a couple of weeks out and ask nicely if they can put you in one on the sunset side.

OK. Let me make one up for you. Question first though: are you interested in Ithaa? If yes, what would you prefer between lunch and dinner? Or do you not have any preference? And I suppose I should ask if you have a budget that you want to stick to for F&B (not including alcohol) for your 8 nights.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 10:14 pm

Herenow!

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
They realize that you're a gentle giant that would never turn on them and try and take them to court if something happened. :-P

Make sure you email them a couple of weeks out and ask nicely if they can put you in one on the sunset side.

OK. Let me make one up for you. Question first though: are you interested in Ithaa? If yes, what would you prefer between lunch and dinner? Or do you not have any preference? And I suppose I should ask if you have a budget that you want to stick to for F&B (not including alcohol) for your 8 nights.

We are Here now, we do want to eat at Ithaa...dinner is our preference, even though I now more expensive. We will likely not frequently eat lunches....just too much food given the diamond tea and stuff....unless you tell us a lunch that can’t be missed....only 7 nights left!
Old Oct 28, 2018, 2:06 am

I see. I had better get to work then. Where did you eat last night? Rangali Bar? Atoll Market?
Old Oct 28, 2018, 5:04 am

Late night

Believe it or not, we didn’t get here until 3 AM last night. Everything was delayed, including our domestic flight out of Male....after reading your posts, I know this was a huge Rookie mistake. Sitting at hhonors happy hour right now.....in lots of rain, but this is still heaven!
Old Oct 28, 2018, 6:46 am

3AM?! Ouch. What a shame. So, on to more pleasant things. This evening have dinner at Atoll Market or Rangali Bar and relax and enjoy the atmosphere.

I suggest the following evening meals;
Mon: Cheese Fondue (at the Wine & Cheese Bar, need to book ASAP)
Tue: Dinner at Mandhoo (note that this restaurant is closed Mondays)
Wed: Fisherman's BBQ (fantastic beach BBQ, $235++)
Thu: Dinner at Vilu (note that this restaurant is closed Wednesdays & Saturdays)
Fri: Dinner at Ithaa (need to book ASAP, I put this on Friday as you may have trouble booking a table earlier)
Sat: DInner at Sunset Grill (or do the Champagne & Lobster beach dinner: $260++ if the Fisherman's BBQ is rained out)

Other options;
* Koko Grill also an option and is only closed on Wednesdays due to it being at the same location as the Fisherman's BBQ. If the Fisherman's BBQ is rained out you might be able to do this (if the wind is not too strong).
* Lunch at Mandhoo is also great and they feed the fish there at 1:30 every lunchtime

I've bolded the restaurants that you should not miss out on.
Enjoy!

Last edited by MaldivesFreak; Oct 28, 2018 at 7:10 am
Old Oct 28, 2018, 8:52 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Has anyone done the Whale shark excursion through them, is it worth it? I don't remember the price and I know there is no guarantee of seeing any-- is there a better likelihood of seeing them certain parts of the year, we are returning in early April.
Thanks!
Old Oct 28, 2018, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by JRV62
Has anyone done the Whale shark excursion through them, is it worth it? I don't remember the price and I know there is no guarantee of seeing any-- is there a better likelihood of seeing them certain parts of the year, we are returning in early April.
Thanks!
Hi, my wife and I went on a Whale Shark tour with the Conrad Maldives in July of 2017 and have booked another tour for the first week of November. It is normally $200pp but we prebooked and got it for $150pp this time. We saw whale sharks as we were headed back and the crew let us stay out as long as we with with the whales sharks at no extra cost. My understanding is that a group of teenage whale sharks are always in the area, it is just a matter of finding them.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.