Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Old Oct 24, 2018, 2:30 pm

Programs: HY DIA, HI Gold, M Plat, SPG Gold, AC Plat
Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Interesting review of one of the SunWVs on TA just a few days ago: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser...li_Island.html
It looks like they may not be providing the speedboat services and butler like they used to. The reviewer said there was no butler and makes no mention of the speedboat service (although he might just have wanted the buggy). Can anyone confirm.

And I updated the wiki. Most interesting point here is the Conrad's (Hilton's) website now says that completion of the DBV renovations is due on 10 December, 2018.
That's a little odd regarding the DBV's. They offered it on my stay in Early November as an upgrade option. I'm assuming that doesn't necessarily mean they are all done by any means, but I figure there aren't too many of them.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 7:47 pm

There aren't too many of them left to do.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA, EXP, HH Diamond
Yes, it would have been good to find this thread a few months ago. Maybe you'll have dry eye syndrome come Friday, LOL.

Diamond status usually extends a 20% discount off an upgrade rate (which is the difference in BAR between two villa categories).
Are you prepared to pay $230/night before or after taxes? If it's before, you may be lucky enough as $240 is the lowest rate we've seen so far for a RWV for high season this year (see the wiki). I would suggest you call them right now (email wastes precious time) and offer your $230++ for the last 4 nights in a RWV and ask whether they have any DBVs available for the first 4 nights (and see if you can get one for $100++ or thereabouts). That way you'll get to experience both land and over water accommodations (and in the most preferred order).

And if you are wanting an F&B plan, let me know and I'll suggest something for you.

I have been trying to call but the number on the website doesn’t seem to be working. I keep getting this weird Olson Wells recording about War of the Worlds???? Any recommendations? Also, what is an F&B Plan? forgive my ignorance.....
Old Oct 24, 2018, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by Bcacho
I have been trying to call but the number on the website doesn’t seem to be working. I keep getting this weird Olson Wells recording about War of the Worlds???? Any recommendations? Also, what is an F&B Plan? forgive my ignorance.....
The numbers; main +960 668 0629, reservations +960 668 0109, work for me. You might be dialling it wrong.
As for an F&B plan, I mean which restaurants to visit, what special dinners to choose and in which order.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 9:24 pm

Programs: AA, EXP, HH Diamond
The numbers; main +960 668 0629, reservations +960 668 0109, work for me. You might be dialling it wrong.
As for an F&B plan, I mean which restaurants to visit, what special dinners to choose and in which order.
So weird, I am dialing those exact numbers from my Sprint cell phone and they do not work at all. Sigh. I don’t get it. I then called the diamond desk and they were getting the same Orson Wells War of the Worlds recording. Are you literally dialing the exact numbers that you pasted? So odd. I am going nuts.

I certainly would take any F&B recommendations you have....thanks so much. We are there from 10/27-11/4.....but we arrive very late on 10/27, which I know is not a popular choice (once again, wish I had found this board), but tool late to change now.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 9:46 pm

Interesting review of one of the SunWVs on TA just a few days ago: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser...li_Island.html
It looks like they may not be providing the speedboat services and butler like they used to. The reviewer said there was no butler and makes no mention of the speedboat service (although he might just have wanted the buggy). Can anyone confirm.
Stayed with in the last 30-60 days in a Sunset WV. Definitely no speedboat service (did there used to be such a thing?!?). No true butler in the sense of someone stationed outside the door (like in Bali or elsewhere) but did have a 'host' that was dedicated to our Sunset Villa and the neighboring Sunset Villa who was excellent and we could call on day or night and he would take care of our request and usually be there with in 15 minutes.

I read the tripadvisor review and concur on the problems with the round rotating bed. A few other observations about the status of the Sunset Villa we were in: The electronics and systems were problematic; Motorized shades had issues; Hot water went out twice (also electrical issue), The TVs were in disarray (hanging wires, no connections) and no one could fix them over an almost week long stay; Sheets for the round bed didn't fit because they were just normal king linens (I agree, hard to come by but def could be done at such a price point); Much damage to furniture (stains, wear marks, chips/gouges), Kitchen Door Panels didn't close and one was missing. In short the villa seemed weathered and tired. One positive of the Villas was that the WIFI was screaming fast and coverage was strong (despite what others have reported else where in the resort). The high level of service given to us by our host helped soften the impact of the lackluster condition of the accommodation. We absolutely appreciated his candor and honesty about the issues with the new resort ownership and/or management (which when pressed he admitted was most likely the problem).

In short, we enjoyed our stay in the sunset villa (namely due to the location within the resort and the Maldives in general) but would never stay there again for the price. I keep comparing this Conrad to the Conrad Bora Bora (probably because of the similarities in having OWV) and the Bora Bora property is light years again of Rangali in terms of up keep, modernization and overall feel.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by Bcacho
So weird, I am dialing those exact numbers from my Sprint cell phone and they do not work at all. Sigh. I don’t get it. I then called the diamond desk and they were getting the same Orson Wells War of the Worlds recording. Are you literally dialing the exact numbers that you pasted? So odd. I am going nuts.
I had the exact same problem with my Sprint phone calling from U.S. Vodafone phone would go straight through from U.K. and U.S. My Centuylink voip was no dice either. My partner has a U.S. T-Mobile phone and I tried on her phone and it worked fine.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by FleyeSkyHigh
Stayed with in the last 30-60 days in a Sunset WV. Definitely no speedboat service (did there used to be such a thing?!?). No true butler in the sense of someone stationed outside the door (like in Bali or elsewhere) but did have a 'host' that was dedicated to our Sunset Villa and the neighboring Sunset Villa who was excellent and we could call on day or night and he would take care of our request and usually be there with in 15 minutes.

I read the tripadvisor review and concur on the problems with the round rotating bed. A few other observations about the status of the Sunset Villa we were in: The electronics and systems were problematic; Motorized shades had issues; Hot water went out twice (also electrical issue), The TVs were in disarray (hanging wires, no connections) and no one could fix them over an almost week long stay; Sheets for the round bed didn't fit because they were just normal king linens (I agree, hard to come by but def could be done at such a price point); Much damage to furniture (stains, wear marks, chips/gouges), Kitchen Door Panels didn't close and one was missing. In short the villa seemed weathered and tired. One positive of the Villas was that the WIFI was screaming fast and coverage was strong (despite what others have reported else where in the resort). The high level of service given to us by our host helped soften the impact of the lackluster condition of the accommodation. We absolutely appreciated his candor and honesty about the issues with the new resort ownership and/or management (which when pressed he admitted was most likely the problem).

In short, we enjoyed our stay in the sunset villa (namely due to the location within the resort and the Maldives in general) but would never stay there again for the price. I keep comparing this Conrad to the Conrad Bora Bora (probably because of the similarities in having OWV) and the Bora Bora property is light years again of Rangali in terms of up keep, modernization and overall feel.
Curious what room you stayed in at the Conrad Bora Bora. I stayed in the Presidential suite on a nice upgrade and figured the Sunset water villas were the room to compare it to at Conrad Maldives.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by brodielayne
Curious what room you stayed in at the Conrad Bora Bora. I stayed in the Presidential suite on a nice upgrade and figured the Sunset water villas were the room to compare it to at Conrad Maldives.
I thought the same thing until I got to Rangali. I have visited Conrad Bora Bora twice. Stayed once in the Presidential OWV and once in the King Pool OWV.

There is absolutely no comparison between the Bora Bora Presidential Suite and the Rangali Sunset OWV. The Bora Bora Presidential Suite is FAR superior in every possible way. You can't really compare them to the Royal OWVs either though since the Sunset OWV is quite larger.

I would compare the Bora Bora King Pool Over Water Villa (which is skipping the Bora Bora Royal Pool OWVs) to the Rangali Premier Water Villa. Again, the Bora Bora King Pool also is a bit better in my opinion.

Rangali has nothing that really stacks up to the Royal Pool OWV (their second best villas in Bora Bora).

The only similarities that these two resorts have in common are they are both located in some of the most picturesque locations in the world. I would say the quality of the Spa services at Rangali have a slight edge over Bora Bora but the facilities in Bora Bora again are far superior. In fairness to Rangali, they have quite a bit of unique beach offerings that Bora Bora does not have. But Bora Bora has the mountains instead which the Maldives obviously lack. In addition, while both are quite pricey, I did not feel like I was getting nickeled and dimed in Bora Bora the way I did at Rangali.

My advice to anyone would be to visit Rangali first and Bora Bora second, otherwise if you do them in the reverse order you may be disappointed by Rangali. Not that Ranali is bad by any stretch it's just the Conrad Bora Bora sets the bar extremely high. Based on this thread I truly wish I had visited Rangali several years earlier perhaps (2018 was my first time).

Last edited by FleyeSkyHigh; Oct 24, 2018 at 10:50 pm
Old Oct 24, 2018, 11:31 pm

I thought the same thing until I got to Rangali. I have visited Conrad Bora Bora twice. Stayed once in the Presidential OWV and once in the King Pool OWV.

There is absolutely no comparison between the Bora Bora Presidential Suite and the Rangali Sunset OWV. The Bora Bora Presidential Suite is FAR superior in every possible way. You can't really compare them to the Royal OWVs either though since the Sunset OWV is quite larger.

I would compare the Bora Bora King Pool Over Water Villa (which is skipping the Bora Bora Royal Pool OWVs) to the Rangali Premier Water Villa. Again, the Bora Bora King Pool also is a bit better in my opinion.

Rangali has nothing that really stacks up to the Royal Pool OWV (their second best villas in Bora Bora).

The only similarities that these two resorts have in common are they are both located in some of the most picturesque locations in the world. I would say the quality of the Spa services at Rangali have a slight edge over Bora Bora but the facilities in Bora Bora again are far superior. In fairness to Rangali, they have quite a bit of unique beach offerings that Bora Bora does not have. But Bora Bora has the mountains instead which the Maldives obviously lack. In addition, while both are quite pricey, I did not feel like I was getting nickeled and dimed in Bora Bora the way I did at Rangali.

My advice to anyone would be to visit Rangali first and Bora Bora second, otherwise if you do them in the reverse order you may be disappointed by Rangali. Not that Ranali is bad by any stretch it's just the Conrad Bora Bora sets the bar extremely high. Based on this thread I truly wish I had visited Rangali several years earlier perhaps (2018 was my first time).
Good to know. I will likely not make any effort to upgrade to the Sunset Water Villa. The Presidential OWV at Conrad Bora Bora is amazing, in fact in 5 nights, we literally had 3 meals outside of the villa, that's how good of a room it really is.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 2:41 am

Do people with 2A and 2K go for standard Beach Villas when using points? There is the option for the Water Villa with points and I'm thinking if i book that with points, then upgrade would be cheaper for higher villas. However, in their email when i queried, they said the WV pool can not be used by kids so am wondering if I should totally avoid the WV. My kids are 10 and 12. The aim is to hopefully upgrade but if the upgrade from WV is also a WV on the side where kids are not allowed, then best I go for a BV.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 2:46 am

Yes, there most certainly was a speedboat service. As for the butler service, the small 'shacks' outside the SunWVs are for the butlers I believe and also probably the housekeeping.
From their website: https://conradhotels3.hilton.com/en/...ns/K3ZEQ3.html
SUNSET WATER VILLA

Butler service, glass floors, outdoor whirlpool, private infinity pool, ocean-view bathtub.Set on stilts over the lagoon, the glass floors in the living room of this villa provide views of the marine life below. The large marble bathroom features an ocean-view circular bathtub, while outdoors, you will find a luxurious whirlpool and private infinity swimming pool.The round master bed rotates 270 degrees to follow the beautiful Maldivian sunset. The second king size bedroom, adjacent to the bathroom with open-air shower, features a flat screen TV which descends from the ceiling.For a taste of true luxury, this villa comes with a kitchenette and butler service 24-hours a day. Also featured are DVD and CD players and a Bose sound system. Sleeps up to 4 adults and 2 children, or 3 adults and 3 children.
Interesting points. Could be the wiring isn't set up to take the amount of current needed. What's the bet if you turn all the A/Cs off the bed and hot water will work properly. Maybe that's why that reviewer said the A/C wasn't strong enough. They could have turned some of the units off in order to lessen the amperage. Anyway, sounds like it's definitely not worth the money. Abhorrent the condition it is in considering what they charge for it per night.

Sounds like sound advice. ^
Old Oct 25, 2018, 3:04 am

Originally Posted by s879
Do people with 2A and 2K go for standard Beach Villas when using points? There is the option for the Water Villa with points and I'm thinking if i book that with points, then upgrade would be cheaper for higher villas. However, in their email when i queried, they said the WV pool can not be used by kids so am wondering if I should totally avoid the WV. My kids are 10 and 12. The aim is to hopefully upgrade but if the upgrade from WV is also a WV on the side where kids are not allowed, then best I go for a BV.
Sorry, 2A and 2K? Is that credit card lingo / slang? Usually they make you sign a waiver for taking kids into an OWV. Should still be the same.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 3:33 am

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
2 Adults and 2 Kids

We never had to sign a waiver for taking a kid into any type of water villa.

There are no villas / no side "where kids are not allowed".
Old Oct 25, 2018, 3:49 am

Originally Posted by goliath
2 Adults and 2 Kids

We never had to sign a waiver for taking a kid into any type of water villa.

There are no villas / no side "where kids are not allowed".
Thanks Goliath. The email says Water Villa island has a quiet zone and the pool and bar does not allow kids under 16 whereas the Main Pool on the main island is open to all. Hence, I thought maybe this part is only suitable for adults. Wouldn't want to be hushing my kids all the time! How far is the main pool from where the Water Villas and Family WV are, in minutes roughly?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.