Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2018, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by goliath
You did not fix the links, you removed them.

The idea of the code in my post is that you see a picture with 1000pix width in the thread, and when you click on the picture, it opens as a wider version with 2400pix width.

For example: picture mle2018_007_small.jpg (1000pix wide) shows in the post, and when you click on it, you see mle2018_007.jpg (2400pix wide).
I was getting broken image links in my browser so I hit the Reply button and looked at the BB code and it was incomplete. So in order to let everyone see the pics (didn't know when you'd be back online to fix it), I removed some of it and just hotlinked the images. I see you edited your post about an hour after you posted it. I guess you made the adjustments during that period but after I was getting broken links.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 5:57 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Etihad Gold, Hilton Diamond
I'll be a week in the Maldives doing some diving before heading to the Conrad, and I'll be traveling to Male Airport by boat after finishing my diving. Is it feasible to bring alcohol from my diving (the prices are very significantly lower) on board the domestic flight? I know bags are scanned to check for alcohol when arriving internationally to Male, but what about when I've purchased alcohol in the Maldives to take on the domestic flight?
Old Oct 14, 2018, 6:31 am

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
If by "domestic flight" you mean the TMA seaplane, then there is no additional check.

If you mean a domestic flight MLE-VAM (Maamingili) + speedboat to Rangali, then I don't know.

Last edited by goliath; Oct 14, 2018 at 8:43 pm
Old Oct 14, 2018, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by j.cerda
Since you are currently at the resort do you have more information on when the DBV renovations will be completed?
I am trying to find out which DBVs on the reef side of the island have the large plunge pool like in the posted picture.

Deluxe Beach Villa with large plunge pool
Be aware that this is an elongated shot so the pool looks longer than it is. It's also interesting as it looks like a standard BV as the bed doesn't seem to be facing the camera (note the lamp(s) on the LHS). This could have been a really old shot and this villa could now be a DBV and part of the BS or JBS as those have very long rectangular pools like in the picture.
However I think I know which villa it is; #125 . Has anyone stayed in 125 and can confirm?
Note that 125 is not on the reef side.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by s879
We are 2A and 2K but my children are 10 and 12 years. It says on the website that Beach Villas can accommodate kids under 12. Are they quite fussy? Have emailed but been a day and no reply. Need to book flights soon as don't want the deal to go.
AFAIK they stick to the age just like any other property would.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Be aware that this is an elongated shot so the pool looks longer than it is. It's also interesting as it looks like a standard BV as the bed doesn't seem to be facing the camera (note the lamp(s) on the LHS). This could have been a really old shot and this villa could now be a DBV and part of the BS or JBS as those have very long rectangular pools like in the picture.
However I think I know which villa it is; #125 . Has anyone stayed in 125 and can confirm?
Note that 125 is not on the reef side.

I got the picture from TripAdvisor.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/SavedPho...li_Island.html

I asked the poster and he said it is deluxe beach villa 127.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 4:50 pm

Hello all!

We will be celebrating our honeymoon at this fine resort in two weeks. I have read most of this thread and I can't wait to experience this resort. In planning and budgeting our stay, I have the following questions:

1. When it comes to restaurant reservations, we really only have one night planned where we would like to dine at Koko. We figured the other nights we'll just sort of see what type of food we feel like eating. Do we really need to make advance reservations for other places such as Ufaa and Mandhoo?

2. For couples spa treatments, would you recommend the spa retreat or overwater spa for a 2-3 hour spa treatment?

3. I am unclear of the tipping custom at this resort. The prices all seem to mention a service charge and tax will be included. Is this in lieu of tipping?

Thanks!

-ToS

Last edited by thinkorswim; Oct 14, 2018 at 5:16 pm
Old Oct 14, 2018, 5:19 pm

Depends on occupancy for restaurant bookings. Esp Ithaa. I booked all of mine 1 day ahead or on the day in early Dec last stay. I would recommend asking on the first day what the bookings are like. I reckon if you are flexible and open there would almost always be room at the larger restaurants.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 5:20 pm

No idea on spas.

No tipping is needed here. Like basically everywhere outside of North America. The service charge one of the reasons, yes.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by thinkorswim
1. When it comes to restaurant reservations, we really only have one night planned where we would like to dine at Koko. We figured the other nights we'll just sort of see what type of food we feel like eating. Do we really need to make advance reservations for other places such as Ufaa and Mandhoo?
Cynicor has posted good advice although you'd want to reserve Ufaa at least a few days in advance if it's Chinese New Year or possibly in the months of July and August when will be packed.

2. For couples spa treatments, would you recommend the spa retreat or overwater spa for a 2-3 hour spa treatment?
I'm pretty sure that the rooms there are only single bed rooms and so not possible for couples. I could be wrong so you'd want to check that with the resort before you booked.

Re tipping:
Originally Posted by Cynicor
No tipping is needed here. Like basically everywhere outside of North America.
+1
Old Oct 15, 2018, 9:52 am

1. When it comes to restaurant reservations, we really only have one night planned where we would like to dine at Koko.
Regarding Koko, be advised that it may be closed 2-3 days or more per week. After our visit, we finally got the straight scope as why it's been closed for additional days. They claim they are going to be building a roof soon over Koko to better deal with rainy evenings. They stated the additional closures are in preparation for the construction of the roof...they apparently are making room for the footings to support the structure. When I asked what type of a roof I was told it will be a clear or transparent roof (I assume perhaps a lexan or plexi glass) as to preserve the view into the evening sky.

Also, one additional note about Koko. In September they "improved" the menu by reducing the number of courses from ten to seven plates and increased the prices a small bit (I think maybe ten or so percent) while keeping the portion sizes consistent (which are small but to be expected for this type of experience). The reduction in courses and increase in prices is consistent with their new theme of 'nickel and diming' the guests. The new menu is just now updated and correct on the website (but it was not when we were there). Be prepared for a $800USD+ bill for dinner if you plan to do the sake pairing. My partner and I opted to share one of the sake pairings (she's not a big sake fan) and it was perfect amount for us.

All in all, the food quality and experience were good and I am happy we did it but would not do it again as it was not even close to worth the $$$. But hey, it's Conrad Rangali, so to be expected price wise. I don't mind paying for nice meals and have had quite a few exceptional Japanese meals in Tokyo over the years and understand the cost but this really did feel like gouging at $400+ per head especially with the unannounced menu contraction.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by goofygoofygooberyeah
...what about when I've purchased alcohol in the Maldives to take on the domestic flight?
Ha, good one.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 2:15 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Etihad Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lhrhappy
Ha, good one.
Well it was a serious question, I've tried looking it up and can't find so much. What exactly is the law? Very clearly importing alcohol into the country is illegal. But if I have alcohol acquired within the Maldives am I allowed to bring it on the seaplane (to answer the above poster seaplane is what I meant with domestic flight)? I mean if it's illegal I would prefer not to be arrested as part of my holiday, but if not I don't see what other issue there is with bringing alcohol to my week-long resort stay.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 2:18 am

Programs: LH Sen, HH Diamond, IC RA
I'll be a week in the Maldives doing some diving before heading to the Conrad, and I'll be traveling to Male Airport by boat after finishing my diving. Is it feasible to bring alcohol from my diving (the prices are very significantly lower) on board the domestic flight? I know bags are scanned to check for alcohol when arriving internationally to Male, but what about when I've purchased alcohol in the Maldives to take on the domestic flight?
Originally Posted by lhrhappy
Ha, good one.
You can not transport or take any alcohol with you on a domestic flight, as the bags were scanned after baggage drop-off. One time when I went to the Park Hyatt after Rangali, I had a can of coke in my checked-luggage. Shortly before boarding started, an airport employee asked me to come with him, because my luggage had to be opened.

After he saw, it was only a can of coke, it was no problem.
If security check sees any bottles/cans in your luggage, they will open it. It is no problem to take alcohol with you on a seaplane, as they don´t scan your luggage.
But impossible on a domestic flight.

No one will arrest you in the Maldives, when you as a tourist are caught with alcohol in your luggage. They will store the alcohol for you until your departure.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 12:41 pm

Well it was a serious question, I've tried looking it up and can't find so much. What exactly is the law? Very clearly importing alcohol into the country is illegal. But if I have alcohol acquired within the Maldives am I allowed to bring it on the seaplane (to answer the above poster seaplane is what I meant with domestic flight)? I mean if it's illegal I would prefer not to be arrested as part of my holiday, but if not I don't see what other issue there is with bringing alcohol to my week-long resort stay.
It is illegal everywhere, except on some of the resort islands but not all. Whether it is legal at your resort depends on whether the resort is owned by someone well connected or just an average local.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.