Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Old Oct 9, 2018, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by gnomey
200 for deluxe water villa seems like a good deal - usually they quote 2x that .. weird.

sometimes i feel their upgrade quotes are kinda all over the place.
The DWV is an excellent deal. Not too surprising that the DWVs are cheaper than normal considering the quote is for almost a year out (and is shoulder season) but at $200++ I have to say that that is quite a bit lower than normal. I'd snap that up in an instant.

Originally Posted by JRV62
Hi MF,

I remember when I was there in June they told us that the Fisherman's BBQ was no more, they were only doing the Lobster night on Fridays instead.
Yes, I do now remember you saying that. My bad.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 11:06 pm

Programs: Airlines - Only in the pointy end on points, Hilton Diamond
Call me mad but we are thinking DBV on the sunrise side we enjoyed our DBV (209 from memory) much more than the sunset side WV on our last trip (318 I think it was).

Is there any particular reason we should be going DWV ?
Old Oct 10, 2018, 12:41 am

Well, it really comes down to land vs water and by the looks of it you prefer land. DWVs are a must-try as far as OWVs go due to their privacy, condition, view (especially 348) etc, so maybe if you did still want to consider OWV you could split the stay between the two and maybe go (1/3) water --> (2/3) land, rather than land --> water. I suppose there's another factor and that is how keen you are on the new decoration.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 5:49 am

Thanks mate. Good points to think about.

They are getting back to me about a quote for the Muraka so may all be academic
Old Oct 10, 2018, 10:12 am

Did you win the lottery or rob a bank?
Old Oct 10, 2018, 8:24 pm

Not yet
Old Oct 13, 2018, 5:11 am

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
Another update after 12 days here - two thirds of our stay:

After the first five days with lots of rain and strong wind, the weather has now greatly improved and we were able to enjoy some near-perfect days and beautiful sunsets.

I haven't turned a single page in the books I brought with me and haven't been snorkelling at all so far. This may sound odd to some, but this time, it feels right to really do nothing at all - other than getting up late, walking (or taking the boat) over to breakfast, laying at the pool, walking (or taking the boat again) over to afternoon tea, freshening up and going to (or sometimes even skipping) dinner.

We have met many interesting people here and have spent hours of talking to them. Our daughter has constantly found new friends to play with and the guys at the kids club have taken great care of the kids as always. ^

Some updates on my previous post and some new thoughts and info I found noteworthy:

Internet (update):
The speed has improved in the meantime, speedtest.net is reporting 4.7Mbit/s to a server in Male (that equals about 35MB/min), I can now work remotely on a server in Europe without being kicked out all the time and our daughter has been able to stream Netflix without any issues.

When moving around, both my wife and I are still losing the connection on our phones multiple times a day which requires us to re-initiate the connection on the Hilton login page again, though.

Buggies / dhoni service (update):
We only used buggies a few times and waiting times have improved now. I think it helps that the dhoni / ferry has been operating again since the weather has improved and the wind has eased off.

Afternoon tea + cocktail hour (update):
We have come to like the combined event, but would still prefer it to be held at Mandhoo. Mandhoo has always been our favourite restaurant location (not necessarily the favourite menu, in my case - I prefer the cuts of meat to be bigger ). Now you can arrive at 4:30PM, still get something from the afternoon tea buffet and at the same time order drinks from the "happy hour" menu.

Some firsts (for us):
Not a first, but a new record: 35 minutes between touchdown of our plane at MLE and our arrival at the Rangali Lounge at the seaplane terminal. Very fast and efficent processes this time, from immigration to baggage delivery, from "meet & greet" by Conrad staff to check-in at TMA and the drive over to the seaplane terminal.

The first time we had excess baggage with TMA: You are allowed 30kg per person (every item is weighed, checked luggage as well as hand luggage) and we had 103kg between the three of us. I think the $5 (+12% tax) per kg of excess weight is a fair price. We paid $72.80 including tax for the extra 13kg.

The first time we are staying in a villa on Rangali Island: Pros of the DWV we are in: sunset views from bed, jacuzzi and bathtub, short walk over to Vilu for breakfast or afternoon tea / happy hour. ^ I think on a next visit, we would chose a RWV or FWV again because of their pros: more floorspace, daybed on the deck, showerhead with a hose (travelling with two girls with long hair...), glass floor underneath the vanity.

The first time we had breakfast at Vilu: We prefer this setting / location to the busy Atoll market and you can get most of the items from the kitchen (if you know that you can ask for them, the menu on the iPads is somewhat limited), but after a couple of days, we went back to Atoll market, which is easier for our daughter. Here she can pick and chose "a little bit of everything" without having to order full plates.

The first time we used laundry service: The prices are reasonable in comparison to other hotels / resorts worldwide, I would have expected higher prices here. Standard prices apply for "same day service" (pick up before 11AM, delivery by 9PM) or "next day service" (pick up after 11AM, delivery by 7PM next day). "Express service" (pick up between 8AM an 2PM, delivery within 4h hours) is 50% extra. Our laundry was picked up before 9AM yesterday and delivered around 8PM last night. See the complete list of prices in the pic below.

Some firsts scheduled for the remaining days:
  • Lobster and Champagne BBQ at the beach
  • Visit Ithaa for drinks
  • Lucky Dolphin Cruise
Villa pictures:
Thanks to management and other guests, I was able to take some pictures of:
  • Sunset Water Villa
  • Premier Water Villa
  • Renovated Deluxe Beach Villa
I will post those pics later on once I find the time, together with some updates on the renovated DBVs.

The things I love about this place - click on a picture for a larger view:

Arriving at the pool at 10:30AM with zero sunbeds occupied:

These views:

Laundry price list:

Last edited by goliath; Oct 13, 2018 at 6:08 am
Old Oct 13, 2018, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by goliath
Another update after 12 days here - two thirds of our stay:

After the first five days with lots of rain and strong wind, the weather has now greatly improved and we were able to enjoy some near-perfect days and beautiful sunsets.

I haven't turned a single page in the books I brought with me and haven't been snorkelling at all so far. This may sound odd to some, but this time, it feels right to really do nothing at all - other than getting up late, walking (or taking the boat) over to breakfast, laying at the pool, walking (or taking the boat again) over to afternoon tea, freshening up and going to (or sometimes even skipping) dinner.

We have met many interesting people here and have spent hours of talking to them. Our daughter has constantly found new friends to play with and the guys at the kids club have taken great care of the kids as always. ^

Some updates on my previous post and some new thoughts and info I found noteworthy:

Internet (update):
The speed has improved in the meantime, speedtest.net is reporting 4.7Mbit/s to a server in Male (that equals about 35MB/min), I can now work remotely on a server in Europe without being kicked out all the time and our daughter has been able to stream Netflix without any issues.

When moving around, both my wife and I are still losing the connection on our phones multiple times a day which requires us to re-initiate the connection on the Hilton login page again, though.

Buggies / dhoni service (update):
We only used buggies a few times and waiting times have improved now. I think it helps that the dhoni / ferry has been operating again since the weather has improved and the wind has eased off.

Afternoon tea + cocktail hour (update):
We have come to like the combined event, but would still prefer it to be held at Mandhoo. Mandhoo has always been our favourite restaurant location (not necessarily the favourite menu, in my case - I prefer the cuts of meat to be bigger ). Now you can arrive at 4:30PM, still get something from the afternoon tea buffet and at the same time order drinks from the "happy hour" menu.

Some firsts (for us):
Not a first, but a new record: 35 minutes between touchdown of our plane at MLE and our arrival at the Rangali Lounge at the seaplane terminal. Very fast and efficent processes this time, from immigration to baggage delivery, from "meet & greet" by Conrad staff to check-in at TMA and the drive over to the seaplane terminal.

The first time we had excess baggage with TMA: You are allowed 30kg per person (every item is weighed, checked luggage as well as hand luggage) and we had 103kg between the three of us. I think the $5 (+12% tax) per kg of excess weight is a fair price. We paid $72.80 including tax for the extra 13kg.

The first time we are staying in a villa on Rangali Island: Pros of the DWV we are in: sunset views from bed, jacuzzi and bathtub, short walk over to Vilu for breakfast or afternoon tea / happy hour. ^ I think on a next visit, we would chose a RWV or FWV again because of their pros: more floorspace, daybed on the deck, showerhead with a hose (travelling with two girls with long hair...), glass floor underneath the vanity.

The first time we had breakfast at Vilu: We prefer this setting / location to the busy Atoll market and you can get most of the items from the kitchen (if you know that you can ask for them, the menu on the iPads is somewhat limited), but after a couple of days, we went back to Atoll market, which is easier for our daughter. Here she can pick and chose "a little bit of everything" without having to order full plates.

The first time we used laundry service: The prices are reasonable in comparison to other hotels / resorts worldwide, I would have expected higher prices here. Standard prices apply for "same day service" (pick up before 11AM, delivery by 9PM) or "next day service" (pick up after 11AM, delivery by 7PM next day). "Express service" (pick up between 8AM an 2PM, delivery within 4h hours) is 50% extra. Our laundry was picked up before 9AM yesterday and delivered around 8PM last night. See the complete list of prices in the pic below.

Some firsts scheduled for the remaining days:
  • Lobster and Champagne BBQ at the beach
  • Visit Ithaa for drinks
  • Lucky Dolphin Cruise
Villa pictures:
Thanks to management and other guests, I was able to take some pictures of:
  • Sunset Water Villa
  • Premier Water Villa
  • Renovated Deluxe Beach Villa
I will post those pics later on once I find the time, together with some updates on the renovated DBVs.
Since you are currently at the resort do you have more information on when the DBV renovations will be completed?
I am trying to find out which DBVs on the reef side of the island have the large plunge pool like in the posted picture.

Deluxe Beach Villa with large plunge pool
Old Oct 13, 2018, 1:43 pm

Pic links fixed

Arriving at the pool at 10:30AM with zero sunbeds occupied:

These views:

Laundry price list:

Old Oct 13, 2018, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Pic links fixed
You did not fix the links, you removed them.

The idea of the code in my post is that you see a picture with 1000pix width in the thread, and when you click on the picture, it opens as a wider version with 2400pix width.

For example: picture mle2018_007_small.jpg (1000pix wide) shows in the post, and when you click on it, you see mle2018_007.jpg (2400pix wide).
Old Oct 13, 2018, 2:43 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Goliath.

Enjoy the Lobster and Champagne BBQ, I actually thought it was over priced before we went but it turned out to be our most memorable meal there, we still talk about it!!
Old Oct 13, 2018, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by JRV62
Enjoy the Lobster and Champagne BBQ, I actually thought it was over priced before we went but it turned out to be our most memorable meal there, we still talk about it!!
We sure did enjoy it and I wholeheartedly agree with you! What a feast! ^

Definitely the best buffet dinnner I ever had at any resort! I hope there will be space in our stomachs again for cheese fondue tonight...

I will let the pictures speak for themselves - sorry for the bad quality in some of the pictures (it was getting dark). Not pictured are the two BBQs with about 10 other types of meat and seafood (beef, chicken, lamb, calamary, prawns...).

(not my plate... , thanks to another guest posing with his plate )

Last edited by goliath; Oct 13, 2018 at 10:00 pm
Old Oct 13, 2018, 11:14 pm

Programs: LH Sen, HH Diamond, IC RA
Is it all you can drink champagne or do you get only 1 bottle per couple?
Old Oct 13, 2018, 11:25 pm

It's "free flow".
Old Oct 14, 2018, 12:26 am

Trying to book my first trip to Rangali. We are 2A and 2K but my children are 10 and 12 years. It says on the website that Beach Villas can accommodate kids under 12. Are they quite fussy? Have emailed but been a day and no reply. Need to book flights soon as don't want the deal to go. Also, do the kids get free breakfast and afternoon tea as well? I'm a Diamond member.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.