Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Old Oct 2, 2018, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by TalkingPoint
Have the points and the availability is there for a Water Villa @95k. Flexible budget and SunWV rates are pretty high so the cash upgrade looks attractive. Any reason why I shouldn't do it? I'll be at the StR for 5 days in an OWV prior to hopping over. First time to maldives. Also see that there's 2 bdrm. Maybe should fly some friends out as well. I'm guessing Diamond benefits will only apply to me and my SO, though?
Upgrade to the Muraka. i think that's the only villa that will triumph StR

Decor-wise, StR villa is more contemporary, sleek, refined. Conrad villa is more warm, tropical, cozy.
Perhaps something like visiting the Versaille vs your grandmother's house (assuming your grandma is not QE...)?
Haha, not sure if the analogy is apt. But it's good to come with the appropriate expectations.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 1:36 pm

Programs: AS 100k, BA GGL, UA 1k, DL DM, AC SE, B6 Mosaic4, Hyatt/Hilton/Wyndham/IHG Diamond, Marriot Ti
Thanks for the advice. Perhaps I will wait until the WA is open and see if there's any availability. Would like to resort hop to see different parts.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by TalkingPoint
Thanks for the advice. Perhaps I will wait until the WA is open and see if there's any availability. Would like to resort hop to see different parts.
You could try Hilton's Curio Collection property at the three-resort "one island, one resort":
Crossroads Maldives ? The first integrated leisure and entertainment resorts in maldives

There are no words.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 2:04 pm

Why don't you stay at the Conrad first then the St. Regis after the Conrad. It's your first time to the Maldives so you will be blown away by both resorts. Doing it that way you will get to experience Rangali, a large but private resort that has oodles of natural beauty (both in and out of the water) that can't be beat, a phenominal F&B operation (the largest in the Maldives and there's Ithaa), has been open for more than 20 years and so the service will be excellent (many staff have been there from the beginning) and it doesn't still need ironing out like the St. Regis does. Remember, at the Conrad you won't get any of that St. Regis BS, like "Sorry, the restaurants are all full tonight!" when they in fact are only at 20% capacity and other service anomalies and oddities. Then you'll get to experience the accommodation at the St. Regis. The F&B there is excellent too but hasn't the variety of locations and menu items that the Conrad has.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 2:39 pm

I believe the surrounding waters around Conrad is better too, and teeming with marine animals - so if you are more of a diver/snorkeler, then South Ari Atoll where Conrad is located will be more appealing to you. See whale shark etc.

But if you have zero interest in water sports, and will be staying inside the villa for the majority of your time, then you will probably enjoy StR more and the pampering.

Different strokes for different people.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 8:47 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Regarding the jet lag, my wife and I stopped in Dubai last time and next year we're stopping in Singapore for a day. Makes the trip more bearable.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 1:57 am

Programs: Gold Hilton-Starwood-ClubCarlson-LeClub /Amex/ Gold Cathay-Silver BA-Etihad Silver
I would like some advice please of those who have been before. I'm a female and I cover so I would like some more privacy where people won't be swimming around my villa or being overseen by the spa etc. Basically, I would like to enjoy some bikini time.

We have booked the overwater villa on points and I will be looking to either stay there and as for a specific villa or upgrade to a more private option. Can you point me to specific villas that might work?

Thanks
Old Oct 3, 2018, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by goliath
No, I didn't have to, but I was excited and looking forward to it after a couple of rough weeks / months at work.

After arriving today, excitement has cooled down a bit, but I will hold back with comments until at least another day. Let's see how this stay develops.
Any update goliath? Hope you are having a great time.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 9:18 am

Interesting! We are traveling there next week (Sat) and we got into a DBV for 3 nights and the remaining 3 we decided to stay in a OWV. Didn't realize that they haven't finished upgrading all DBVs yet.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by elenanik
I would like some advice please of those who have been before. I'm a female and I cover so I would like some more privacy where people won't be swimming around my villa or being overseen by the spa etc. Basically, I would like to enjoy some bikini time.

We have booked the overwater villa on points and I will be looking to either stay there and as for a specific villa or upgrade to a more private option. Can you point me to specific villas that might work?

Thanks
I believe the RWV are the most spaced out villas. If you can request the ones at the end of the walkway (421 & 419?) you will have the most privacy. I was there in January and stayed in 419 and never had anyone swimming around my villa or being able to see in on the deck.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 10:38 am

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Hysch
Any update goliath? Hope you are having a great time.
Yes, still alive. But too lazy / tired to update. I will post tomorrow.

Originally Posted by techtifosi
Interesting! We are traveling there next week (Sat) and we got into a DBV for 3 nights and the remaining 3 we decided to stay in a OWV. Didn't realize that they haven't finished upgrading all DBVs yet.
Yes, many are still being renovated (the higher 100s, that part of the beach is closed) and some in the 200s have not even been touched yet. No way they are gonna be done by October, 15 (as they claim on the website). Other repeat guest we have met have been in contact with the GM, but even he was not able to put them into a renovated DBV.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by goliath
Yes, still alive. But too lazy / tired to update. I will post tomorrow.

Yes, many are still being renovated (the higher 100s, that part of the beach is closed) and some in the 200s have not even been touched yet. No way they are gonna be done by October, 15 (as they claim on the website). Other repeat guest we have met have been in contact with the GM, but even he was not able to put them into a renovated DBV.
Did they give an updated timeline on the DBV renovations? I hope they are done by december....
Old Oct 3, 2018, 1:13 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Elite Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Aegan Gold, British Airways Bronze
I asked and they said that they cannot say if they'll be renovated by December. They also cannot guarantee that the upgrade I booked in December will be a renovated DBV
Old Oct 3, 2018, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by milgom
I asked and they said that they cannot say if they'll be renovated by December. They also cannot guarantee that the upgrade I booked in December will be a renovated DBV
How disappointing. I think they ought to put you in the Muraka as compensation.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by elenanik

Thanks
If you end up not upgrading and keeping a WV then check out the Villa Selection: Water Villas (standard/basic water villa category) section in the wiki for advice on which one is best.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.