Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2018, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by Splotly

Assuming PWV means Premier Water Villa? If so, we’ve stayed in them many times (but always the one nearest the Sunset Water Villas if that makes any difference to you) - so I’d hope to be able to answer most things that might interest you about them (interestingly privacy is quite a good question given you’d intuitively think it might not be given what they are.) What are you keen to know?
Any colour on Family Water Villa? As noted, we're only in the area for 3 days, plan is to chill and snorkel, maybe try the whale shark snorkel thing. Trying to keep accommodation <$1,500 per night, so that prices us out of Four Seasons, St Regis, etc. But not booking yet as travel is in June...and I'm curious about Waldorf. Thanks all - Jamie
Old Sep 10, 2018, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by alanslegal

Gym provides bottled water as far as I remember however you won't need it as you can order more Conrad water to your room - its complimentary. Easiest option is to ask your room attendant to provide a few more bottles and they will do so - with a smile.

That said, it is likely you order Evian/Voss/San Pelligrino water at the restaurants though - and they take you for a nice ride, like around US$10++ per bottle - that said, we just order alcohol instead (as water is free back in the room at least).
Can we just take the bottles from the room to the restaurant? Seems weird you have to pay for water at the restaurant. Forgive my ignorance, but is that normal in places outside of the US?
Old Sep 10, 2018, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by sunshine213
Can we just take the bottles from the room to the restaurant? Seems weird you have to pay for water at the restaurant. Forgive my ignorance, but is that normal in places outside of the US?
There are complimentary bottles of filtered water on the buffet at Atoll, so no need to bring any there. It would not be appropriate to bring bottled water to the other venues.

You could try asking for tap. It's not usually printed on the menu even if it is available. Or just go with the flow. $8 for a liter of Evian isn't going to kill you after you've gone to all the expense of getting yourself from North America to the Maldives. Or are you a credit card blogger?
Old Sep 10, 2018, 11:54 am

Assuming PWV means Premier Water Villa? If so, we’ve stayed in them many times (but always the one nearest the Sunset Water Villas if that makes any difference to you) - so I’d hope to be able to answer most things that might interest you about them (interestingly privacy is quite a good question given you’d intuitively think it might not be given what they are.) What are you keen to know?
Yes, the Premier Water Villa. I'm considering topping off the last two nights of a 10 night stay in the PWV. But I really want to do my research before I spend $1k a night to upgrade.

- I saw some previous comments discussing the privacy issue of the PWV. Is it really worse than the DWV? I've previously stayed in the RWV and found the distance between them to be pretty good. I just dont want to be hearing my neighbor all the time. Nor have people swimming out in front of our villa.

- What did you find worth while from the PWV? Beside the plunge pool is there anything that really stands out over the other water villas?

- hows the current outside of the PWV? I've heard the DWV area has a strong current, is the PWV similar?

Is there anything else I should know about the PWV? What about the PWV has made it worth while for you to stay at multiple times given its roughly $600+/night more expensive than the DWV.

Thanks for taking the time to answer these questions!
Old Sep 10, 2018, 1:19 pm

Programs: BA GGL; Virgin Gold; HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by captainamerica
Yes, the Premier Water Villa. I'm considering topping off the last two nights of a 10 night stay in the PWV. But I really want to do my research before I spend $1k a night to upgrade.

- I saw some previous comments discussing the privacy issue of the PWV. Is it really worse than the DWV? I've previously stayed in the RWV and found the distance between them to be pretty good. I just dont want to be hearing my neighbor all the time. Nor have people swimming out in front of our villa.

- What did you find worth while from the PWV? Beside the plunge pool is there anything that really stands out over the other water villas?

- hows the current outside of the PWV? I've heard the DWV area has a strong current, is the PWV similar?

Is there anything else I should know about the PWV? What about the PWV has made it worth while for you to stay at multiple times given its roughly $600+/night more expensive than the DWV.

Thanks for taking the time to answer these questions!
Ok I’ll give it a go - but having written the below it’s probably a bit light on objective facts and more about personal preferences:

PRIVACY
• Overall excellent. When it works it is a feeling of being totally isolated, in a vast space, away from any other villas (including the one linked to it), expansive full view of ocean etc. Quite unique compared to all the other villa types (except the Sunset ones of course). And that feeling is highly likely except by exception because very few people venture up that far because there no much there. The excepts:
• it’s linked to (not separate from) the other PWV - so it has a connecting door both indoors and outside in the dividing fence they use to create an overwater suite for some guest. This means that if someone is in the one next door then you will be able to catch a glimpse of them through the slats in the fence depending on the angle you are sitting. It’s not intrusive at all unless your neighbour happens to be a perv and deliberately sits at an angle they can view you (but the clientele that book them would seem less likely to do so). In fact of the half dozen times we’ve been in one, the other one was maybe empty for our entire stay half those times (and except on 1 stay, we’ve always stayed in it for a week+ so it’s often empty a lot - guess that depends on time of year though - we’ve been in it in August mostly).
• Can’t say I ever recall ‘overhearing’ people next door when the other one was occupied (or their music even though there are speaker), but that’s probably because like most people they will be quiet and relaxed in the Maldives. I can imagine a noisy neighbour being quite easy to hear and annoy me though if they choose to be.
• There are 3 big exceptions you can get to the people never venturing up there: there is a sand bar which makes for a wonderful photo shot and people in the know do go up there. Naturally they don’t spend all day there but they are very visible if you are in the villa that’s the one nearest the sunset water villas; similarly they occasionally use it for more professional, promotional photo shoots, in which case they can setup there for quite a while; lastly and probably most intrusively, in the evening they do sometimes have people on the sandbar having their private beach meal - and if you’re outside on your deck in the evening you can see and hear them if you stand up and because it’s dark they tend to look over because your movement naturally catches their eye
• If you are in your toilet (its own separate cubicle rather than affecting the bathroom) and don’t pull down the window bind then you’ll only make that mistake 1 time when you spot someone walking past!
• There is a piece of coral (quite a nice piece and a half decent size although like most of the coral in the resort is rather dead now) directly at the steps of the left hand one (the one further from the sunset water villas). If you’re in that one your neighbour might snorkel it but nobody else will as they won’t know it’s there and it’s way too tiny to bother with unless you’re staying in either of those villas.

WHAT YOU GET (that makes me enjoy it relative to other ones)
• The walk to it feels unique and a bit special because it’s beyond all the other villas (except the sunset ones) and is actually a lovely sand track with bushes that seems better by some measure compared to other parts of the island trails.
• A bit of status, snobbery feeling and a sense that you’ve done well (makes me sound like an arse but the feeling may also matter and be worth it to some)
• There’s a day-bed outside, that’s the size of a emperor bed, raised up over the water and is just wonderful during the day as well as for star gazing at night. I’ve drunk more bottles of champagne with the missus watching stars sat on there than anywhere else in the resort
• The pool is a totally usable size, much more than you’d think, gorgeous lighting to it, overhangs the water perfectly and is a genuine infinity experience that’s private to you - you’ll burn a few gigs of disk space on pics I assure you!
• You get a great (and massive) plate of fruit, tons of chocolates and champagne - and they refill all the time (I think that’s due to PWV because even through I’ve been a dozen times, am Diamond etc I don’t get quite that when we stay in their other villas). Top TWAG tea selection and mini bar is filled with different really decent stuff!
• Bulgavri toiletries, and in nice little sizes you can slip into your snorkel bag and easily carry to use to demist you mask when you’re over on the main reef.
• Room is special, and huge, wonderful sofa and TV, amazing bathroom as you’d expect, brilliant wardrobe room etc etc. There will be better in other resorts nowadays I’m sure but you won’t fail to see it as very special anyway.
• There is absolutely no current, ever as far as I can recall, outside it and the water is always about waist to shoulder height. Steps down into water are wide and makes them a lot more welcoming and easy going that the other villas. Despite being over sand and me loving snorkelling - I still snorkel round the villa when I don’t round the other types.
• My wife loves it, it’s her favourite - and I can tell she feels safest privacy wise in it as she’s so much more relaxed and less body-concious sunbathing on its deck that any of the others

WHY NOT ALWAYS STAY IN IT (might be a good question given the above)
• Well, my favourite villa type is surprisingly a Superior Water Villa. There is no question that the SWV is nowhere near in the same level as the PWV - but what I personally love is the feeling of a room on stilts where I’m closely connected to and aware that I’m right in the middle of the ocean and sat 2 feet from it. The PWV is very much a big hotel suite that unless you’re outside in the pool makes you feel some distance from being connected to where you actually are in the world, despite being able to see the ocean fully from wherever you are in the room it’s just a long way away given how large the room is. (And my personal preference for that is so much that it means I prefer the SWV to the DWV even though in that case the difference is only a matter of a few feet more - I would however take the DWV at the end of the chain of them over any other room if I could snag it, because it has no fence and doesn’t need one because of its location so you can open all the doors and you’re effectively on a platform in the middle of the ocean!)
• I’d you end up paying full price then it’s a ton of cash, and I’ve never felt it was worth it or done it at full price (we’ve been given an upgrade to it a couple of times and the other times we’ve spent 7-14 nights in it we’ve grabbed it at maybe 30%+ off full rates).

If there’s anything else you wanted to know then do ask or PM. I think one year we stayed in it we made a video walk through because it was so cool. Will be on YouTube somewhere I think.

Last edited by Splotly; Sep 10, 2018 at 1:32 pm
Old Sep 10, 2018, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by jamienbaker
Any colour on Family Water Villa? As noted, we're only in the area for 3 days, plan is to chill and snorkel, maybe try the whale shark snorkel thing. Trying to keep accommodation <$1,500 per night, so that prices us out of Four Seasons, St Regis, etc. But not booking yet as travel is in June...and I'm curious about Waldorf. Thanks all - Jamie
Tried one for the first time a couple of weeks ago (retreat version rather than family configuration - so a spa room and gym rather than extra beds in the second room). Loved it. In fact have chosen one for our reservation over this new year. I part I think I loved it because it felt different and new (having been to the island a few times - even being in a new location and having a different walk freshened the experience up). Others on here can tell you about it better than me though, as we were only in it for 10 nights and it was our first time - whereas I know others on here will have been in them all the time and know the key details better than me. I would say they felt considerably bigger than the other villas, both inside and the deck - but th orientation of the inside, in particular the bed not facing the water so you open your eyes and immediately think Jesus I’m somewhere amazing was a miss for me compared to the SWV/DWV feeling.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 1:45 pm

Ok I’ll give it a go - but having written the below it’s probably a bit light on objective facts and more about personal preferences:

PRIVACY
• Overall excellent. When it works it is a feeling of being totally isolated, in a vast space, away from any other villas (including the one linked to it), expansive full view of ocean etc. Quite unique compared to all the other villa types (except the Sunset ones of course). And that feeling is highly likely except by exception because very few people venture up that far because there no much there. The excepts:
• it’s linked to (not separate from) the other PWV - so it has a connecting door both indoors and outside in the dividing fence they use to create an overwater suite for some guest. This means that if someone is in the one next door then you will be able to catch a glimpse of them through the slats in the fence depending on the angle you are sitting. It’s not intrusive at all unless your neighbour happens to be a perv and deliberately sits at an angle they can view you (but the clientele that book them would seem less likely to do so). In fact of the half dozen times we’ve been in one, the other one was maybe empty for our entire stay half those times (and except on 1 stay, we’ve always stayed in it for a week+ so it’s often empty a lot - guess that depends on time of year though - we’ve been in it in August mostly).
• Can’t say I ever recall ‘overhearing’ people next door when the other one was occupied (or their music even though there are speaker), but that’s probably because like most people they will be quiet and relaxed in the Maldives. I can imagine a noisy neighbour being quite easy to hear and annoy me though if they choose to be.
• There are 3 big exceptions you can get to the people never venturing up there: there is a sand bar which makes for a wonderful photo shot and people in the know do go up there. Naturally they don’t spend all day there but they are very visible if you are in the villa that’s the one nearest the sunset water villas; similarly they occasionally use it for more professional, promotional photo shoots, in which case they can setup there for quite a while; lastly and probably most intrusively, in the evening they do sometimes have people on the sandbar having their private beach meal - and if you’re outside on your deck in the evening you can see and hear them if you stand up and because it’s dark they tend to look over because your movement naturally catches their eye
• If you are in your toilet (its own separate cubicle rather than affecting the bathroom) and don’t pull down the window bind then you’ll only make that mistake 1 time when you spot someone walking past!
• There is a piece of coral (quite a nice piece and a half decent size although like most of the coral in the resort is rather dead now) directly at the steps of the left hand one (the one further from the sunset water villas). If you’re in that one your neighbour might snorkel it but nobody else will as they won’t know it’s there and it’s way too tiny to bother with unless you’re staying in either of those villas.

WHAT YOU GET (that makes me enjoy it relative to other ones)
• The walk to it feels unique and a bit special because it’s beyond all the other villas (except the sunset ones) and is actually a lovely sand track with bushes that seems better by some measure compared to other parts of the island trails.
• A bit of status, snobbery feeling and a sense that you’ve done well (makes me sound like an arse but the feeling may also matter and be worth it to some)
• There’s a day-bed outside, that’s the size of a emperor bed, raised up over the water and is just wonderful during the day as well as for star gazing at night. I’ve drunk more bottles of champagne with the missus watching stars sat on there than anywhere else in the resort
• The pool is a totally usable size, much more than you’d think, gorgeous lighting to it, overhangs the water perfectly and is a genuine infinity experience that’s private to you - you’ll burn a few gigs of disk space on pics I assure you!
• You get a great (and massive) plate of fruit, tons of chocolates and champagne - and they refill all the time (I think that’s due to PWV because even through I’ve been a dozen times, am Diamond etc I don’t get quite that when we stay in their other villas). Top TWAG tea selection and mini bar is filled with different really decent stuff!
• Bulgavri toiletries, and in nice little sizes you can slip into your snorkel bag and easily carry to use to demist you mask when you’re over on the main reef.
• Room is special, and huge, wonderful sofa and TV, amazing bathroom as you’d expect, brilliant wardrobe room etc etc. There will be better in other resorts nowadays I’m sure but you won’t fail to see it as very special anyway.
• There is absolutely no current, ever as far as I can recall, outside it and the water is always about waist to shoulder height. Steps down into water are wide and makes them a lot more welcoming and easy going that the other villas. Despite being over sand and me loving snorkelling - I still snorkel round the villa when I don’t round the other types.
• My wife loves it, it’s her favourite - and I can tell she feels safest privacy wise in it as she’s so much more relaxed and less body-concious sunbathing on its deck that any of the others

WHY NOT ALWAYS STAY IN IT (might be a good question given the above)
• Well, my favourite villa type is surprisingly a Superior Water Villa. There is no question that the SWV is nowhere near in the same level as the PWV - but what I personally love is the feeling of a room on stilts where I’m closely connected to and aware that I’m right in the middle of the ocean and sat 2 feet from it. The PWV is very much a big hotel suite that unless you’re outside in the pool makes you feel some distance from being connected to where you actually are in the world, despite being able to see the ocean fully from wherever you are in the room it’s just a long way away given how large the room is. (And my personal preference for that is so much that it means I prefer the SWV to the DWV even though in that case the difference is only a matter of a few feet more - I would however take the DWV at the end of the chain of them over any other room if I could snag it, because it has no fence and doesn’t need one because of its location so you can open all the doors and you’re effectively on a platform in the middle of the ocean!)
• I’d you end up paying full price then it’s a ton of cash, and I’ve never felt it was worth it or done it at full price (we’ve been given an upgrade to it a couple of times and the other times we’ve spent 7-14 nights in it we’ve grabbed it at maybe 30%+ off full rates).

If there’s anything else you wanted to know then do ask or PM. I think one year we stayed in it we made a video walk through because it was so cool. Will be on YouTube somewhere I think.
Thank you! This was very helpful. Definitely the type of detail one likes to know before committing to an expensive upgrade!
Old Sep 10, 2018, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by jamienbaker
FYI, there are 7 FWVs and the numbering is as follows; 401, 402, 403, 406, 407, 410 & 413. That might be of use to you if you are wanting to secure one in a particular location or facing a particular direction. Check out a map of the resort and the villa numbering post in the wiki to see the exact locations of those 7.

@captainamerica
The PWV on the right / northernmost / nearest the SunWVs is number 313. The other one is 314.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by captainamerica
Thank you! This was very helpful. Definitely the type of detail one likes to know before committing to an expensive upgrade!
Intrigued to know what you decide + hear whether you reckoned it was worth it afterwards if you do decide to go for it. The experience will be utterly different when you’re in the villa compared to the other types - so maybe consider the additional value of that too (if you are the sort that might spend a little time in the villa during the day + early evening + when you get back to it after a night out): akin to having an extra 2 days someone different rather than more of the same after 8 nights. 1k per night to upgrade sounds like a lot if it’s in August, but other times of the year sounds like it might be a steal. If you wanted my in the round recommendation looking past all the detail, I’d say do it without hesitation and you’ll not regret it - it’s quite an experience; unless 2k makes a decent size difference to you (but at this place is probably the difference between a 15k bill and a 17k bill at the end so maybe not really so much more once you’re that far up into the crazy numbers!!)
Old Sep 10, 2018, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
FYI, there are 7 FWVs and the numbering is as follows; 401, 402, 403, 406, 407, 410 & 413. That might be of use to you if you are wanting to secure one in a particular location or facing a particular direction. Check out a map of the resort and the villa numbering post in the wiki to see the exact locations of those 7.

@captainamerica
The PWV on the right / northernmost / nearest the SunWVs is number 313. The other one is 314.
The resort (and I think most people) tend to think of the one nearest the sunset water villas as the better one. Mainly because it has a marginally better outlook, wider ocean view than the other one. (It’s the one we choose, but is likely most affected by the privacy things I mentioned - although I would add to my post that not one of them is something I’ve really noticed or bothered me for more than 6 seconds while I was there - just noted them down because they are facts.). The other villa wouldn’t be affected at all by those privacy matters, save for the risk of bad neighbours one.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by lhrhappy
There are complimentary bottles of filtered water on the buffet at Atoll, so no need to bring any there. It would not be appropriate to bring bottled water to the other venues.

You could try asking for tap. It's not usually printed on the menu even if it is available. Or just go with the flow. $8 for a liter of Evian isn't going to kill you after you've gone to all the expense of getting yourself from North America to the Maldives. Or are you a credit card blogger?
Lol..not a credit card blogger at all. Are there even any good ones left (other than doc maybe?)? Honestly, paying $8 AFTER spending so much is specifically what's going to kill me . If I didn't have to pay almost $1300 for the transfer I'd, quite literally, make it rain with the $8 bottles. But good to know they have filtered water and I have the option of tap water. But given the social pressure, we'll most likely shell out for the water at the restaurants.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 3:05 pm

This might a stupid question- but is there any value in trying to arrange the transfer yourself via a private sea plane company? Or paying for the domestic flight out of pocket to whatever airport is closer and then just having hilton arrange the boat transfer? What would even be the airport that the domestic flight goes to?
Old Sep 10, 2018, 3:35 pm
soy

Programs: various
This might a stupid question- but is there any value in trying to arrange the transfer yourself via a private sea plane company? Or paying for the domestic flight out of pocket to whatever airport is closer and then just having hilton arrange the boat transfer? What would even be the airport that the domestic flight goes to?
In a word - No
There is no cheap way to get to Rangali. Maybe you could come up with some convoluted plan that saves $50 or so, but it would be a ton of work with lots to go wrong
Old Sep 10, 2018, 10:54 pm

Soy is right. And there is only one seaplane company so they have a monopoly and set the prices high enough so they can slaughter enough lambs make enough profit to comfortably have meetings in underwater restaurants that cost thousands and thousands of dollars.....

What's arguably worse is that they openly boast about it.

There was some talk about trying to save money on transportation a few tens of pages back in the thread if you want to search for it and read up on the difficulties and specifics.

Originally Posted by lhrhappy
You could try asking for tap. It's not usually printed on the menu even if it is available. Or just go with the flow. $8 for a liter of Evian
Erm, I thought that quite a few FT'ers were reporting that tap water is no longer available anywhere else other than Atoll Market. I believe since Stefano took over they have not made it available. And isn't the cheapest water $12++?
Old Sep 10, 2018, 10:57 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Elite Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Aegan Gold, British Airways Bronze
I was actually looking at that for the return as I would like to maybe stay in Fenfushi for a couple of days after the stay at conrad. I did see that a speed boat from fenfushi to Male is $50 (2 hours) and a ferry is $25 (8 hours)
Still want to have at least the inbound trip to the conrad with the seaplane transfer for the experience. But it doesn't seem very efficient if I go back to the Conrad for the return trip after having gone to Fenfushi...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.