Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Old Aug 17, 2018, 10:27 am

Programs: AA,CX, BA, Priority Club, SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by lhrhappy
At that price, I think I'd rather stay at the Four Seasons private island. Any ideas who they're expecting to book it?
Not implying they will, but they did entertain the idea of have 1 night on underwater villa while other night in "regular villa", however, original/main plan was at least 3-4 nights min for 120-150K per stay (tailored itinerary) the bulter could book your excursion while you are on seaplane, etc..

Not sure who are their targets, but they launched video at Singapore airport couple days ago, Centurion card (I guess platinum card as well) holder, NY, Dubai, plus couple more places I forgot.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 10:38 am

Hate to leave tomorrow, enjoyed every moment here. But with 2 kids around, hardly free time, didn't really get a chance to get to know my fellow FTers (Majuki & Splotly).

Was rejected for a late check out, but no big deal... it is what it is, and I understand they may need the room since check in is 2pm. At least I got couple stuff animals... Last time we got a set of 5. But this time, only 2 kinds. My wife is collecting them, which is also one of the reason keep us with Conrad.... (well kinda stupid but true, couple times, we picked Conrad over WA due to this small gift).
Old Aug 17, 2018, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by goliath
So I guess we will have to agree that we have different priorities.
I thought you meant priorities about after check-in and breakfast, i.e; give up on having a decent sleep, long showers, ladies doing their makeup etc etc.

And thanks for the pics of the views from 327, Majuki.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by Fly2Where
From what I was told, it's all packaged deals, so there will be extra charge for private seaplane. However, like you said, there will be no extra charge if you choose a package to join the mass. they will use cart to transport you, express immigration etc...
The way you wrote it it looked like you meant you had to pay for the priviledge to land the seaplane at the private seaplane jetty at the UWS.

Furthermore, there will be a full bar inside the residence, 2 kinds of champaign is included (1 is actually Salon!!), also premium tea. So, it's true all inclusive. Again, it's just a plan...
The meaning of 'all inclusive' applies to a whole property, not just one room, thus my comment was referring to alcohol at all the F&B outlets of the resort. Obviously they're not going to let whoever is in the UWS go into the Wine Cellar and take $10,000 bottles off the shelves.....
Old Aug 17, 2018, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Hate to leave tomorrow, enjoyed every moment here. But with 2 kids around, hardly free time, didn't really get a chance to get to know my fellow FTers (Majuki & Splotly).

Was rejected for a late check out, but no big deal... it is what it is, and I understand they may need the room since check in is 2pm. At least I got couple stuff animals... Last time we got a set of 5. But this time, only 2 kinds. My wife is collecting them, which is also one of the reason keep us with Conrad.... (well kinda stupid but true, couple times, we picked Conrad over WA due to this small gift).
Perhaps we met in passing. I saw some of the other posters here but was with Mrs. Majuki most of the time. She doesn't like being the third wheel when I start talking about miles and points, so I kept quiet.

Which two animals did you get? We got the manta ray and dolphin, but I saw an octopus at Atoll Market on Wednesday (our departure day), which is why I inquired again about getting the entire set.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 1:01 pm

...Centurion card...
Say no more.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
The way you wrote it it looked like you meant you had to pay for the priviledge to land the seaplane at the private seaplane jetty at the UWS.

The meaning of 'all inclusive' applies to a whole property, not just one room, thus my comment was referring to alcohol at all the F&B outlets of the resort. Obviously they're not going to let whoever is in the UWS go into the Wine Cellar and take $10,000 bottles off the shelves.....
ok, I stand corrected, it's "all inclusive" only applies to you consumed in your room. The executive chef will take care of your three meals, anything outside your "room", normal charge will applies.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by Majuki
Perhaps we met in passing. I saw some of the other posters here but was with Mrs. Majuki most of the time. She doesn't like being the third wheel when I start talking about miles and points, so I kept quiet.

Which two animals did you get? We got the manta ray and dolphin, but I saw an octopus at Atoll Market on Wednesday (our departure day), which is why I inquired again about getting the entire set.
We probably met somehow... and I totally agree with Mrs Majuki, it's "your" vacation.

I received a shark and whale"s"ssss
Old Aug 17, 2018, 2:33 pm

Programs: AA PP (1MM), Admirals Club, HH Diamond
The press release for the Underwater Villa seems to be touting the "$50,000 on up" price.

http://www.travelweekly.com/Travel-N...derwater-suite
Old Aug 17, 2018, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by IvanCU
The press release for the Underwater Villa seems to be touting the "$50,000 on up" price.

http://www.travelweekly.com/Travel-N...derwater-suite
With an estimated $15M to build, they are looking at 300 nights just to cover construction. Factor in maintenance costs, and costs of benefits that come with the room cost, I would guess they wont see any profit from that room for at least 3 years. This is based on my assumption the room will only be occupied a maximum of 6 months a year.

I could of course be way off on occupancy (+ or -). I know there are hundreds of thousands (perhaps millions) of people that can afford that nightly rate. But when you factor in the location of the Maldives, you really cut down on who would actually be wanting/willing to stay there. Lets say the room were off the coast of Miami, I would predict a 90-100% occupancy rate.

But it was greater minds than mine that decided to build it. And as we all know built it and they will come.

Old Aug 17, 2018, 9:10 pm
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by Traveler Dave

But it was greater minds than mine that decided to build it. And as we all know ‘built it and they will come’.

I doubt it will prove very profitable as a stand-alone unit, but it does offer the Halo effect, and gains huge publicity for the resort in general.
Afterall, the major fashion brands make much more from handbags and shoes than they do from their Haute Couture lines. The latter are just to drum up publicity and attention.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 9:54 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by soy
I doubt it will prove very profitable as a stand-alone unit, but it does offer the Halo effect, and gains huge publicity for the resort in general.
Afterall, the major fashion brands make much more from handbags and shoes than they do from their Haute Couture lines. The latter are just to drum up publicity and attention.
Yep. For example, I had heard about Ithaa opening a few years before I was into the whole miles and points scene. I was even unaware of the Conrad brand and barely knew where the Maldives was, but I knew I had to try the underwater restaurant some day. ^
Old Aug 18, 2018, 4:06 am

I'm with Goliath in that I don't know if it's really worth continuing this discussion, but to clarify:

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
The idea is to arrive on the morning of your first day at Rangali. If you overnight in MLE, yes, you are effectively adding one night to your itinerary but you are going to arrive very early at around, on average, 10 - 10:30AM island time, which means 15 or 16 hours more than someone who arrives at 1 or 2AM on their first day at the resort.
My friend, unless you're travelling by tardis, this contravenes all known laws of physics. You're saying here that someone who breaks up their journey with an overnight in Male arrives earlier than someone who travels directly there without a stopover? Read again: the choice is between going directly to Rangali that same night of arrival by domestic flight, getting to the island about four hours after landing (that is around 1am), or, to follow your advice, stay overnight in Male and taking the seaplane the following morning, getting to the island 12-15 hours after their flight lands (that is around mid-morning the same day). Note: the first option gets them there EARLIER, that is SOONER, meaning BEFORE the second option. I think you've misunderstood and think that we're suggesting the traveller stays overnight the first night, then hangs out in Male the next day, then arrives by domestic the following day. We're not.

In terms of saving time, the best option is to go straight to Rangali that same evening of arrival with domestic transfer.

In terms of saving money, the best option is to stay overnight first and travel to Rangali the following day by seaplane.

If the poster were taking long holidays, then it makes sense to save the money/points. But this poster only has five nights (six if they go directly to Rangali instead of overnighting), so losing that first morning does impact their stay. Only that poster can decide which is worth more to them: time on the island or money.

Ignoring the comments about how long it takes to get ready because it's irrelevant: the poster will have to get ready no matter which option they choose: in both cases it'll be necessary to go to bed the first night and in both cases they'll have to get up in the morning - either to go for breakfast on Rangali or to catch a seaplane. How long it takes is up to them.

Last edited by passionforhotels; Aug 18, 2018 at 7:25 am Reason: grammar, grammar
Old Aug 18, 2018, 10:07 am

Programs: HH Diamond, BAEC
Originally Posted by Majuki
I requested the stuffed animals from our host, and upon returning from breakfast this morning we found a dolphin and a manta ray in a Conrad labeled bag. It's my understanding that they're mostly out of stock and haven't chosen to restock them, but the original set used to contain 6?

We have the set and have more than one of some of them - theres a manta, whale, crab, octopus, black and yellow fish, a clownfish, some other kind of fish and a turtle. When we were there, they were in short supply too so we requested them from our island host and he arranged for us to have the set delivered. Still have them and Im delighted we kept them as our mini pineapple loves them.

The Muraka looks amazing, I need to stay there. We are well overdue a return trip back at this stage!
Old Aug 18, 2018, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by passionforhotels
My friend, unless you're travelling by tardis, this contravenes all known laws of physics. You're saying here that someone who breaks up their journey with an overnight in Male arrives earlier than someone who travels directly there without a stopover? Read again: the choice is between going directly to Rangali that same night of arrival by domestic flight, getting to the island about four hours after landing (that is around 1am), or, to follow your advice, stay overnight in Male and taking the seaplane the following morning, getting to the island 12-15 hours after their flight lands (that is around mid-morning the same day). Note: the first option gets them there EARLIER, that is SOONER, meaning BEFORE the second option. I think you've misunderstood and think that we're suggesting the traveller stays overnight the first night, then hangs out in Male the next day, then arrives by domestic the following day. We're not.
You really need to read my post again. You misunderstood it. Come at it fresh. I have done this 6 times and I know what I'm talking about.
Also, do the math on a 5-night stay and work out how much time you lose. Again, come at it without any preconceptions. Perhaps if you do this first you'll understand the other bit more easily.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.