Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2018, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by Majuki
Since the flight from Hong Kong arrives at 8:45 pm, we thought it would be prudent to get a hotel room in Male the night before. I believe I read somewhere the last domestic flights are at 10 pm, and it would be a shame if IRROPS caught us, and we blew one night at the Conrad prices but were staying at the Hotel Jen (probably at our own additional expense, I'd imagine).
It depends on what you value more: your money or the experience. A night in the Jen hotel isn't anything memorable. If you can get to Rangali that night - even if it's very late - it still means you've arrived and you can wake up at leisure in paradise the following morning. But of course it will have cost you that bit more, so if you're cost-conscious, then an overnight in Male is the way to go.

It's worth contacting the resort directly to see if it's even a possibility for you to get on the last domestic transfer. If not, it's a moot point.

I got a 24-hour room rate, but it sounds like this will be a waste of money because we'll no sooner get to the hotel and it will be an early AM departure to Rangali Island. I know there isn't much to see in Male, but it would have been nice to walk around a bit and see a little more than just the resort islands. I suppose I will change to a standard check out.
If you want to see Male, you can ask Conrad to book you a sightly later transfer, say around 11am. Personally, I wouldn't as it still doesn't give you much more than an hour to look around, if you get up early, and it's possible that they can't get you a seaplane seat until even later, so then you're really losing time that could be spent on the island. If you've got a late evening departure flight, why not plan to explore Male on your way out instead? They can arrange a city tour for you and dinner somewhere.

It seems like the options are to pony up for the extra night as insurance or get the case where you get the 8 AM seaplane transfer and end up waiting 6 hours at the reception on Rangali Island for a room to become available?
It's possible your room won't be available till the standard 2pm check in time, but why would you spend that sitting in reception??? Get changed into your swimwear already and hit the beach!

Our return flight is a redeye out of MLE, so it looks like our best bet is to pay for the use of the lounge at the airport. I've heard that the Plaza Premium lounge isn't much good?
Now's your chance to go and see Male. Then use the showers in premium lounge after your city trip. Or pack a change of clothes in your hand luggage and you could also shower in the lounge inside the airport if you've got access to that.

Also, what are the contingencies in cases of inclement weather? Does the hotel shuffle people over to the domestic flight plus boat ride or simply throw their hands up and say, "Sorry! Bad weather..." and you're stuck in Male for another day (or on Rangali Island for another day)?
They'll do everything they can to get people to where they need to be, but sometimes weather does win that battle. That's why you've got travel insurance, right?
Old Jul 7, 2018, 1:09 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Thank you for the insights, MaldivesFreak, lhrhappy, and passionforhotels. Our itinerary has us spending one night in Hong Kong before heading out to the Maldives the next day, so it won't be a true 48 hours in the air. We plan on having a lazy day in Hong Kong - nothing new for us to say the least - and then heading over to the airport early afternoon for some quality time at the Cathay Pacific lounges.

It seems like there's a mixed consensus on trying to make a run for the last domestic flight where we likely wouldn't arrive until 2 am. I think I'm inclined to have the Conrad coordinate with the Hotel Jen and get the seaplane transfer over the next morning. I read that the Hotel Jen is their go to property anyway for those unable to get to the resort the first night. While the nighttime boat ride sounds like fun for me, Mrs. Majuki isn't of the same opinion. I also forget that the hotel is one hour ahead of the capital. I can experience the waves/ocean air the second night or step outside of the hotel the first night in Male. We're using the Jen as a stopover point only and aren't losing sight of this.

Originally Posted by passionforhotels
If you've got a late evening departure flight, why not plan to explore Male on your way out instead? They can arrange a city tour for you and dinner somewhere.
Thanks, passionforhotels. Who would help arrange the city tour and dinner? The Conrad Lounge at the airport? Should I make this request in advance, or when we get back to the airport? If we decide to go into town is there a place to drop the luggage at the Conrad's lounge? We are probably opting to pay for the Conrad lounge rather than the Plaza Premium or walk around in the terminal. Our departing flight back to Hong Kong isn't until 10:45 pm. It sounds like from the post from MaldivesFreak that we would typically be on a later afternoon seaplane back to Male since we have a late evening departure.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 5:20 am

It seems like there's a mixed consensus on trying to make a run for the last domestic flight where we likely wouldn't arrive until 2 am. I think I'm inclined to have the Conrad coordinate with the Hotel Jen and get the seaplane transfer over the next morning.
Good choice. You will be getting an extra 15+ hours at the resort. Not something to turn a blind eye to.

Who would help arrange the city tour and dinner? The Conrad Lounge at the airport? Should I make this request in advance, or when we get back to the airport? If we decide to go into town is there a place to drop the luggage at the Conrad's lounge? We are probably opting to pay for the Conrad lounge rather than the Plaza Premium or walk around in the terminal. Our departing flight back to Hong Kong isn't until 10:45 pm. It sounds like from the post from MaldivesFreak that we would typically be on a later afternoon seaplane back to Male since we have a late evening departure.
Mention it to your host once you arrive and they will arrange it for your day of departure. It used to be free. Not sure if they now charge a $5pp fee for it. You will be able to leave luggage with the Conrad team.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 6:38 am

Thanks, passionforhotels. Who would help arrange the city tour and dinner? The Conrad Lounge at the airport? Should I make this request in advance, or when we get back to the airport? If we decide to go into town is there a place to drop the luggage at the Conrad's lounge? We are probably opting to pay for the Conrad lounge rather than the Plaza Premium or walk around in the terminal. Our departing flight back to Hong Kong isn't until 10:45 pm. It sounds like from the post from MaldivesFreak that we would typically be on a later afternoon seaplane back to Male since we have a late evening departure.
Conrad can arrange that for you. You can either ask them about it now, or when you get there (but don't leave it too last-minute).

If you decide to do the tour AND dinner in Male, then you may not need the Conrad Lounge at all. You'll be able to access the airport three hours before departure, which in your case will be 7.45pm, so you could just head there straight after dinner. That's assuming you have access to the lounge inside the airport (airside - after customs and immigration) so you can shower and change there, should you want to. The premium plaza lounge is outside the airport (before check in) and better to use the Conrad Lounge instead. For clarification, the lounges inside the airport aren't that exciting either, but they're free and have showers and wifi, so that's about the best you're going to get.

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Good choice. You will be getting an extra 15+ hours at the resort. Not something to turn a blind eye to.
I think technically they lose around 8 hours - they'll get there around 9am when they could have got there at midnight or 1am, but seeing as that's all sleeping time, it's not valuable time lost. The only downside is that possibly their room won't be ready when they arrive, but as long as they've packed hand luggage with the things they'll need for the first few hours, that shouldn't be a problem.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 9:15 am
soy

Programs: various
Any tips for dinner in Male?
Want to kill an hour or two before checking in at airport for 9pm departure
Old Jul 7, 2018, 10:34 am

I think technically they lose around 8 hours - they'll get there around 9am when they could have got there at midnight or 1am, but seeing as that's all sleeping time, it's not valuable time lost. The only downside is that possibly their room won't be ready when they arrive, but as long as they've packed hand luggage with the things they'll need for the first few hours, that shouldn't be a problem.
Erm, your maths is off. 24-8=16. He's going to save $ by not booking that night.

Last edited by MaldivesFreak; Jul 7, 2018 at 10:43 am
Old Jul 7, 2018, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak

Mention it to your host once you arrive and they will arrange it for your day of departure. It used to be free. Not sure if they now charge a $5pp fee for it. You will be able to leave luggage with the Conrad team.
Sure. I'll mention this on arrival at the resort. I'll also e-mail them in advance for reservations at the underwater restaurant. Someone reached out shortly after I made made the booking.

I had originally booked 5 nights at the resort and 2 nights in Male, but changed to 6 nights at the resort and 1 night in Male on the basis of a friend's suggestion. I wasn't aware of the transfer times with the seaplane, so it's likely we'll have a few hours upon arrival back in Male before our 10:45 pm departure.

Conrad can arrange that for you. You can either ask them about it now, or when you get there (but don't leave it too last-minute).

If you decide to do the tour AND dinner in Male, then you may not need the Conrad Lounge at all. You'll be able to access the airport three hours before departure, which in your case will be 7.45pm, so you could just head there straight after dinner. That's assuming you have access to the lounge inside the airport (airside - after customs and immigration) so you can shower and change there, should you want to. The premium plaza lounge is outside the airport (before check in) and better to use the Conrad Lounge instead. For clarification, the lounges inside the airport aren't that exciting either, but they're free and have showers and wifi, so that's about the best you're going to get.
We'll be flying out in a premium cabin on Cathay Pacific, so I assume we'll have some sort of lounge access airside. If we do the city tour we'd just need a place to store the luggage while we're doing that. All I'd be looking for at that point would be a place with showers and to change.

Does our checked luggage go on the seaplane with us, or do they ferry it over separately? I ask because I was thinking putting almost everything into the checked suitcase versus the hand luggage, which is limited to 5 kg.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 12:59 pm

Does our checked luggage go on the seaplane with us
Yes. I have heard of luggage being transported separately on the odd occasion but I think that's only with oversized items and only on the way to Rangali, not from Rangali.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 2:20 pm

Just curious - on the day of check out, and assuming you have a evening/night internaitonal flight (which most ppl seem to do), does Conrad typically offer late check out if you are Diamond, or if you ask them nicely?

For example, letting you be in the villa until 3-4 pm or so if availability permits?

Or is that just a wishful thinking?
Old Jul 7, 2018, 2:32 pm

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
Last year, we could stay in our villa until around 4PM (if I remember correctly, definitely late in the afternoon).

I don't think it has much to do with status, but could be depending the booking situation (when will the next guests arrive).
Old Jul 7, 2018, 2:34 pm

Great, thank you! at least this gives you time to shower / wash up properly.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 3:21 pm

Basically it's 90% to do with whether your room's new guests are going to be there before 5PM or not (4PM is the latest they'll let you stay in the room with the possible exception being if there is no guest checking into your room and you have a 6 or 6:30PM speedboat ride to Maamigili to catch the 8PM flight to MLE (no data on this)). I can't say how it is for non-HHonors guests though. Perhaps the ask and ye shall receive rule applies here.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 10:38 pm
soy

Originally Posted by gnomey
Great, thank you! at least this gives you time to shower / wash up properly.
There are also showers / changing rooms (with towels & wash gear) up by the fitness center and I am sure that they will let you clean up there if you cannot stay in the villa. Is pretty standard practice for any Asian resorts I have stayed at to offer such a facility
Old Jul 7, 2018, 10:42 pm
soy

Originally Posted by soy
Any tips for dinner in Male?
Want to kill an hour or two before checking in at airport for 9pm departure

Answering my own question. Nothing worthwhile in the airport and anything there is a rip-off. Read about Conrad prices ($10 water) without the resort ambiance!!!

It seems there is a fairly decent place in Male right by the airport ferry terminal - The Sea Horse.
It seems easy to get to and with good views, decent food and fair prices.

Which brings my next question. How much is the ferry over to Male and can I pay in US $ ?
I am assuming its only a couple of $ and I would rather pay in US$ than be faffing about with getting local currency.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by soy
Answering my own question. Nothing worthwhile in the airport and anything there is a rip-off. Read about Conrad prices ($10 water) without the resort ambiance!!!

It seems there is a fairly decent place in Male right by the airport ferry terminal - The Sea Horse.
It seems easy to get to and with good views, decent food and fair prices.

Which brings my next question. How much is the ferry over to Male and can I pay in US $ ?
I am assuming its only a couple of $ and I would rather pay in US$ than be faffing about with getting local currency.
i would think it's 1 usd at most. read somewhere before that it was 5.50 rufiyaa but that's a few yrs ago
but whether they let you pay with usd is another question.
maybe try to get some change from conrad employees or from the supermarket if that's the only thing you think you need local currency for..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.