Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2018, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by Carl Christensen
Q: If you paid for an upgrade, did they charge you prior to arrival or added it to your bill?

I'm looking at getting the Amex Hilton Aspire with offers $250 Hilton Resort credit. I see no issue with using it while there, but if they would charge any upgrade ahead of time to you, and you used your Amex Hilton Aspire in 2018 to pay it this likely would be reimbursed by Amex (-$250), then by the time you show up in 2019 the Amex Hilton Aspire credit should be available again and you pay for various items on your hotel bill and get another -$250.
So the HIlton $250 credit is also available at Conrad Maldives (I understand that the website shows Conrad Maldives as one of Hilton resorts)? I am deciding whether I should open a HIlton Aspire credit card.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 1:04 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Spire Amb
Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Thanks for the rates. I'll add them to the wiki.

Yes, that's pretty much it as far as the differences go. I don't think they will do that since they changed the 21 villas to 14 RWVs and 7 FWVs. You'll only get a rollaway bed if you ask for an extra one.

Have you read my Guidelines For Paid Upgrades post (linked in my sig)?
​​​​​​​Question: Any advice on room selection if snorkeling is important to us?

We have 15 nights booked with points (in groupings of 5 nights at a time back to back) in Jan 2019 for a total of 1.14 million Hilton points. All booked into the Water Villa. I have read that the beach villas are closer to better snorkeling. We are advanced snorkelers (able to snorkel with current, chops, and swim down etc).

Would it be better to:
1) Keep water villa
2) change one of the group of 5 nights to beach villa?
3) have either water or beach villa for trying to get into one room type that has better access to snorkeling?

Is the water villa considered a better villa to bargain from (i.e. many times people have had to pay to upgrade from beach villa to water villa. If there was another villa type that had better snorkeling access would we have a better starting point if we started from water villa?)

I'm not too thrilled about spending much for upgrade. I've done the whole pay-for-upgrade thing such as at Hilton Moorea to upgrade from beach to OWV (because of snorkeling right off the deck). I suppose for a 5 night portion of our 15 nights I might consider 100-200 range per night for good snorkeling location. Otherwise, we have tons of time there, I guess we can just spend more time walking to snorkeling locations.

Any input for 1st time to the Conrad Maldives for snorkelers?
Old Apr 2, 2018, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by lincoln boy
So the HIlton $250 credit is also available at Conrad Maldives (I understand that the website shows Conrad Maldives as one of Hilton resorts)? I am deciding whether I should open a HIlton Aspire credit card.
I received the credit 3-4 days after the rangali charge posted.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by speedlog

I received the credit 3-4 days after the rangali charge posted.
Wonderful! Thank you for DP. I will certainly open the Aspire.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 2:07 pm

Is the water villa considered a better villa to bargain from (i.e. many times people have had to pay to upgrade from beach villa to water villa. If there was another villa type that had better snorkeling access would we have a better starting point if we started from water villa?)
I also would be curious to see the answer to this question. Is the cost to upgrade to DBV cheaper if one is initially (award) booked into a WV?
Old Apr 2, 2018, 3:44 pm

Programs: NZ
Question: Any advice on room selection if snorkeling is important to us?

We have 15 nights booked with points (in groupings of 5 nights at a time back to back) in Jan 2019 for a total of 1.14 million Hilton points. All booked into the Water Villa. I have read that the beach villas are closer to better snorkeling. We are advanced snorkelers (able to snorkel with current, chops, and swim down etc).

Would it be better to:
1) Keep water villa
3) have either water or beach villa for trying to get into one room type that has better access to snorkeling?

I'm not too thrilled about spending much for upgrade. I've done the whole pay-for-upgrade thing such as at Hilton Moorea to upgrade from beach to OWV (because of snorkeling right off the deck). I suppose for a 5 night portion of our 15 nights I might consider 100-200 range per night for good snorkeling location. Otherwise, we have tons of time there, I guess we can just spend more time walking to snorkeling locations.

Any input for 1st time to the Conrad Maldives for snorkelers?
Recently had my first stay in a water villa. Snorkeled on the House reef every day. It looks far but it’s not that bad, can take the dhoni or golf cart over (or walk, around 20 mins)

loved the water villa villa and didn’t feel like I missed out on any snorkeling on the main island. It is possible to snorkel on the smaller island right off the water villa, but the house reef is far better.

If you do want to spend some time in a beach villa, then the 200s are where you want to be. The house reef is roughly centered around villa 225 but is massive enough that any of the 200s is fine.

Old Apr 2, 2018, 4:05 pm

We plan on visiting here for our honeymoon in late October. Used points to book a standard water villa for 5 nights.

Afrer reaching out, the following upgrade prices were offered:
Superior Water Villa for USD $130 + 10% service charge + 12% T GST per night.
Retreat Water Villa for USD $240 + 10% service charge + 12% T GST per night.
Deluxe Water Villa for US $395 + 10% service charge + 12% T GST per night

I replied asking to upgrade our entire stay to a Superior Water Villa for USD $90 per night and was pleasantly surprised when they accepted. Thank you to everyone in this thread!
Old Apr 2, 2018, 9:08 pm

Programs: SPG/Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Best Western Diamond, OW Emerald
Upgrade Cancellation

With the standard Water Villa now widely available at the same rate as a Beach Villa (95,000 points), I decided to cancel my upgrade to the Superior Water Villa (they wanted USD $400.40++ per night) and request the standard Water Villa (I was originally in a Beach Villa prior to upgrade request). Has anyone had any experience negotiating a cheaper upgrade rate in person at the resort? Would still like to upgrade a few days of my stay, but the advanced upgrade price I was quoted seems pretty steep compared to some of the rates others have quoted recently on this thread. I will be arriving at the resort in a few weeks, so hopeful the decline in tourism due to the state of emergency will lead to better upgrade rates.

Last edited by EdChambers; Apr 3, 2018 at 9:13 am Reason: Relevance
Old Apr 2, 2018, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by lhrhappy
I also would be curious to see the answer to this question. Is the cost to upgrade to DBV cheaper if one is initially (award) booked into a WV?
I've asked for said upgrade prices but haven't received any yet. Will ask again and report back.

​​​​​​​Question: Any advice on room selection if snorkeling is important to us?

Would it be better to:
1) Keep water villa
I would choose the second option. That way you get to be much nearer and possibly right next to the house reef and experience both villa types. And I would ask for the BV for the first 5 nights since you're keen snorkellers and would want to start exploring as soon as you arrived. And the order of BV first then WV to finish the stay is the much preferred option. The other advantage is that you only have to move villas once. If you do decide on this you'd better contact them ASAP as it will be much easier for them to arrange it now than in a few months time.

​​​​​​​Is the water villa considered a better villa to bargain from (i.e. many times people have had to pay to upgrade from beach villa to water villa. If there was another villa type that had better snorkeling access would we have a better starting point if we started from water villa?)
Still awaiting confirmation of this (see my comment above).

​​​​​​​Otherwise, we have tons of time there, I guess we can just spend more time walking to snorkeling locations.
I would say that is your answer right there, hence my recommendation of your second option of 5N in a BV, 10 in a WV.
Hope this helps.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 7:19 am

Programs: NZ
Originally Posted by tom-schmitt
Ask your housekeeper, if he can get you a stuffed animal. Normally they have a few in stock. A generous tip may help :-)
We asked our host about it, he said housekeeping would arrange one. Nothing. The night before check out he asked us if we got one. After hearing we had not, he met us while we were waiting for our seaplane and gave us two in a gift bag. Nice way to end the stay!
Old Apr 3, 2018, 8:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Are rewards blacked out for some reason? I'm seeing absolutely *nothing* for standard room awards anytime during Q4 2018...
Old Apr 3, 2018, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by Martellus
Are rewards blacked out for some reason? I'm seeing absolutely *nothing* for standard room awards anytime during Q4 2018...
I see availability for every. single. night in Q4/2018, with the exception of Dec 21-31.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 10:16 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ukinny2000
I see availability for every. single. night in Q4/2018, with the exception of Dec 21-31.
Interesting - do I need to actually have points in my account before I can see availability?
Old Apr 3, 2018, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by Martellus
Interesting - do I need to actually have points in my account before I can see availability?
I am able to see the availability even without logging onto hhonors, so probably not an issue of sufficient points
Old Apr 3, 2018, 11:19 am

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
To see award availability you need to be either:

1) logged out

or

2) logged in AND have enough points for the award you're looking for.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.