Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2018, 6:36 pm

Programs: ANA PLATINUM,HYATT GLOBALIST, AA PLATINUM FOR LIFE, UNITED SILVER, HILTON DIAMOND, MARRIOTT TITANIUM
Originally Posted by exmike
Just guessing, but since Golds also get breakfast, it wont be listed as a "Diamond benefit".
I didn't see it listed as a gold benefit!
Old Mar 9, 2018, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by Roger Lococco
Is this the Conrad lounge at the airport in Male? If so, it's a bit shocking that HHonors members are being charged.
Agreed! Once you get on the seaplane you are a distant thought and they could care less. Pretty sad considering the spend that will be made on your stay. The GM needs to seriously consider finding other ways to cut.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 9:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by metcon123
Awesome! Thanks for the post and glad you had a good time there. Since you just got back, I'm assuming all is fine and the the SOE is not an issue?
I'm back home and no issue at all. Was so hard to leave heaven though, I can now see why some say 5 nights isn't enough. What an incredible experience and flying Etihad F all the way home didn't hurt.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 11:45 pm

Programs: United 1K, Qatar Gold, Etihad Gold, Hilton Diamond, InterCon RA, PC Plat, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by brodielayne
Agreed! Once you get on the seaplane you are a distant thought and they could care less. Pretty sad considering the spend that will be made on your stay. The GM needs to seriously consider finding other ways to cut.
Actually, I was thinking more of the inbound journey. That's when the lounge matters the most, by far. Do you have to pay to use the lounge inbound - i.e. on the way to the Conrad Maldives?
Old Mar 9, 2018, 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by Roger Lococco
Actually, I was thinking more of the inbound journey. That's when the lounge matters the most, by far. Do you have to pay to use the lounge inbound - i.e. on the way to the Conrad Maldives?
No you do not. Actually, with an evening flight you have much more need for the lounge than on arrival. A fair amount of departures leave later in the evening, and with the seaplanes only operating during the daylight, you can potentially spend numerous hours at MLE awaiting your departure. On arrival, the seaplanes do their best to get you out within two hours.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 3:10 am

CX Business Class from Chicago

Thought it might be of interest for US-based folks heading to the Maldives.
CX has rather "cheap" (~ $2'500 pp) C fares out of ORD.
downsides: long layover in HKG on inboud travel AND evening arrival in MLE -> overnight stay in Male
plus-side: evening departure on outbound gives you another full day at CR
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/prem...2-600-a-2.html
Old Mar 10, 2018, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by alp67
Thought it might be of interest for US-based folks heading to the Maldives.
CX has rather "cheap" (~ $2'500 pp) C fares out of ORD.
downsides: long layover in HKG on inboud travel AND evening arrival in MLE -> overnight stay in Male
plus-side: evening departure on outbound gives you another full day at CR
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/prem...2-600-a-2.html
I would rather fly a different route than have a 22-hour layover en route to paradise and then arrive at 9:40PM in paradise. Just saying.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by SingaporeJunkie
I'm back home and no issue at all. Was so hard to leave heaven though, I can now see why some say 5 nights isn't enough. What an incredible experience and flying Etihad F all the way home didn't hurt.
Thanks and glad to hear that! Also, a dumb question, since I'm Hilton Diamond, I know that there is free breakfast and afternoon tea, but wondering how they even know if you are a diamond member with so many other ppl around? TIA
Old Mar 10, 2018, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by metcon123
Thanks and glad to hear that! Also, a dumb question, since I'm Hilton Diamond, I know that there is free breakfast and afternoon tea, but wondering how they even know if you are a diamond member with so many other ppl around? TIA
They ask for your room no.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 12:16 am

@MaldivesFreak:

Two figures for the wiki. I received the following upgrade offer:

Beach Villa to Deluxe Beach Villa - USD300++
Beach Villa to Superior Water Villa - USD262.50++

I tried to bargain the SWV. Then the availability for 7 nights was gone (I wouldn't have taken it for all the nights anyway, we wanted to check out the BV this time) and we were offered a deeply discounted rate of $100++ to upgrade for 3 nights only to SWV. Since those nights were inbetween and we therefore would have to change rooms twice within 7 nights, I thankfully declined.

The $25 Diamond Spa discount must have been discontinued, at least we didn't get one.
As a Diamond benefit we received an additional 15 min pp to one of any treatment booked (has to be of 1 hour or longer).
Thanks for the data points. Can you confirm for which dates they are? Sorry, I haven't been on the forum for a while (just going through which posts I need to reply to) so you'll have to refresh my memory.
As for the discount card for spa treatment, yes, it has been discontinued for some time now. It was replaced by the additional 15min you mentioned.

IIRC, H-Diamonds get Manager's Invitation one-time only? I just found mine for tomorrow on my bed. We have had one last year already. Do you reckon, it's because the GM has changed since then?
This is not a one-time only thing.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 12:21 am

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
This is not a one-time only thing.
We only got it one time per visit, if we stayed longer than one week.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 12:41 am

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Thanks for the data points. Can you confirm for which dates they are? .....
As for the discount card for spa treatment, yes, it has been discontinued for some time now...
1. We were there in Feb.
2. Discount card is still listed in the Wiki as GOLD & DIA benefit.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 12:55 am

Originally Posted by lhrhappy
I would rather fly a different route than have a 22-hour layover en route to paradise and then arrive at 9:40PM in paradise. Just saying.
Me as well, for sure!
Lucky, you (my guess lhrhappy) and I can fly in from Europe, but: "Different strokes for different folks".
Old Mar 12, 2018, 1:40 am

Originally Posted by gnomey
I am looking at the RWV numbering - from previous posts by Scubaroo and MF
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27972611-post410.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27980388-post423.html

They seem to contradict with the information in the link below
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25260386-post2090.html

Assuming the former two links (which are more recent post) are correct, then
- Villas with even numbers (it includes 401, the outlying chap, and then continues from 402 to 420) are on the same side as C2 (Mandhoo restaurant), ie. they have sunrise view and closer to one of the house reefs
- Villas with odd numbers (it starts 403 through 421) are on the other side, ie. they have sunset view and can access a second house reef which is closer to DBV

Can someone confirm which is correct?

Anyway, which RWV villa # is the best bang for buck, when considering factors like sunset vs sunrise view, water current, water depth, underwater wildlife? I have read a couple of posts saying they stay in Villa 417 (but strangely not any others), so i should think this is the one that is secluded enough since it's far walk away from main island, comes with sunset view but not too close to the second house reef. Would appreciate more feedback
My post written in 2015 (post 2090) wasn't 100% accurate, while the first 2 you linked to are correct, as is your final assessment above. I can't edit my 2015 post unfortunately.
As for which RWV is better, most prefer 421 which is right at the end of the group and is the most private while still retaining a sunset view. 419 isn't a bad choice either. If you wanted to be near the most coral and marine life then 409 is a good choice (we've stayed in this villa) although the 'second' house reef is a bit of a misnomer IMO. For a closer-up view, click [https://www.google.com/maps/@3.62247...=!3m1!1e3]here.

I'd say so, rather two weeks before and a couple of days after. Therefore, many Chinese will be there approx. Jan 20th to Feb 10th 2019.
A couple of days after is not a good bet. You want to leave it at least 10 days after the start of CNY.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 3:16 am

Originally Posted by gnomey
Thanks both for DP. Actually just curious, does anyone know why is the upgrade charge to DWV so much more (vs SWV)? I have been noticing this trend frequently over time.
Considering they are both located at around the same location. Size wise, i think it's abt 50% more in SWV and probably spaced a bit further from each other. And apparently DWV is not even that swimmable bc of the strong currents, so SWV wins on this one. So curious to know what would be the (unknown to me) reasons for picking DWV over SWV? Someone who doesnt care abt snorkeling?

What else did I miss?
IINW the calculation goes something like (number of villas in that category compared to SWV * price over SWV) / area in sqm = upgrade $++

1. We were there in Feb.
2. Discount card is still listed in the Wiki as GOLD & DIA benefit.
Thanks and wiki adjusted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.