Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2018, 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by richtravel
love this comment specifically after MaldivesFreak highlighted “bias” in my posts.
proof is in all the comments that followed my posts with not a single person refuting the cost saving push going on.
Cost cutting is not in doubt. Indeed there are many things that they are trying to do which are obviously harming the resort's image and reputation. TBPH I think it's time they were made aware of this so I'm going to email them.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 12:19 am

Programs: QF Platinum - SQ PPS - HH Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, ShangriLa Jade
Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Cost cutting is not in doubt. Indeed there are many things that they are trying to do which are obviously harming the resort's image and reputation. TBPH I think it's time they were made aware of this so I'm going to email them.
excellent. It’s a good resort and closing the gap on a few small concerns will make a big difference.
interested in their feedback following your conversation. Thanks.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 2:01 am

excellent. It’s a good resort and closing the gap on a few small concerns will make a big difference.
interested in their feedback following your conversation. Thanks
I agree, but don't hold your breath as I doubt they will answer.
And just to be clear, I wasn't doubting all of what you posted. You did indeed raise some valid points, especially in your last posts. Let's hope management take notice of those points and those that others have mentioned for the benefit of all. It certainly looks that some changes are permanent but I'm also confident that they will certainly make, and continue to make, certain things available for those who ask and returning guests. TBH I think they should just raise the price of the rooms and be done with the stinginess.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 5:22 am

Originally Posted by Carl Christensen
Q: If you paid for an upgrade, did they charge you prior to arrival or added it to your bill?

I'm looking at getting the Amex Hilton Aspire with offers $250 Hilton Resort credit. I see no issue with using it while there, but if they would charge any upgrade ahead of time to you, and you used your Amex Hilton Aspire in 2018 to pay it this likely would be reimbursed by Amex (-$250), then by the time you show up in 2019 the Amex Hilton Aspire credit should be available again and you pay for various items on your hotel bill and get another -$250.
You can pay for upgrades at the same time as the room or at any time of your choosing. You just have to arrange it with the reservations department.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 6:13 am

as always, it was a wonderful family holiday, with friendly staff, beautiful weather and amazing natural beauty. Rangali Bar staff,drinks and food hands down beat the dinners we had at sunset (x2) and mandhoo. Steak sandwhich is excellent and beef tenderloin was perfectly cooked each time (same cannot be said for sunset grill).
fiah we caught was beautifully cooked for lunch the next day (once again beating mandhoo and sunset grill at their own game).
The cost savings may have got on my nerves a little but did not take away from another great Maldives break.
I almost wholeheartedly agree with that: The steak sandwich imo is one of the best values at the Conrad and food was prepared perfectly at Rangali. But I loved the food at Mandhoo, absolutely nothing to complain about there on my/our part, perfectly cooked fish/chicken and great quality. OTOH we both loved the menu at Sunset, but the tuna and beef (ordered rare or medium-rare) were severely overcooked every time.
Breakfast at Vilu imo was very good imo, but a bit disappointing/repetitive if you are there for 2 weeks or more. Especially if you are a repeating guest and remember the more extensive menu & buffet they still offered a few years back.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 6:34 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond; Royal Ambassor
Checkout procedure could also be improved.At check-in at 2017 I got a welcome letter with the lounge on departure as a Diamond benefit.On the day of departure, our island host told us, that due to new regulations passengers have to be at the airport 3 hours before departure.
I fully understand that the seaplane operations are not under control of the hotel, but please don’t tell guests wrong things about regulations, that doesn’t exist.
Our island host also told us, the use of the Conrad lounge would depend on our arrival time in Male.
On arrival in Male we were told, that now in 2018 the use of the Conrad Lounge isn’t free anymore.
So we decided to go straight to the International Airport Terminal. At the end, we had to wait 1 hour outside, before we were allowed to enter the check-in area .
So this has nothing to do with luxury travel. If the passengers have to wait several hours for the departure of their international flight, why don’t they allow them to use their lounge for free?
I don’t expect any complimentary food, just an air-conditioned room and some chilled water to kill waiting time.
Why is the lounge complimentary at arrival but not at departure?
Old Feb 17, 2018, 8:41 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
Well, the lounge wasn't complimentary for departure for years. Then, fortunately, it was. But that door has since slammed shut, as you discovered. It is ridiculous.

Btw, I agree on the steak sandwich. They do it right and it is a pretty good value. You can order it via room service, too, although it's not on the menu. And Mandhoo is the best option, by far. Mandhoo and Rangali, all I need.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 9:53 am

What is the current situation for drinking water? I know that each villa gets two complimentary water bottles/day. However, how difficult it is to get free drinking water after this? I realize food prices are understandly high but I don't want to have to pay big dollars just to keep hydrated.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by searchingforawards
What is the current situation for drinking water? I know that each villa gets two complimentary water bottles/day. However, how difficult it is to get free drinking water after this? I realize food prices are understandly high but I don't want to have to pay big dollars just to keep hydrated.
It's not traditional bottled water as you would expected. It's water in large glass bottles that has the impurities removed with a stopper. How they sterilize the actual bottle and stopper is anyone's guess. You can request unlimited glass bottles/refills. I'm referencing in-room only and not the restaurants. If you want bottled water at a restaurant, expect to pay.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 11:31 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald), IHG Platinum Elite, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by saaveraward
It's not traditional bottled water as you would expected. It's water in large glass bottles that has the impurities removed with a stopper. How they sterilize the actual bottle and stopper is anyone's guess. You can request unlimited glass bottles/refills. I'm referencing in-room only and not the restaurants. If you want bottled water at a restaurant, expect to pay.
This links back to my question at #2115 . Presumably this is exactly the same water that comes out of the taps. I don't know that for sure. My first trip to Rangali is still a few days away, but in every other Maldivian resort I've stayed at, the desalinated water that gets piped to the villas is the same stuff they put in the filtered water bottles. Presumably that's the case at Rangali too, in which case you just fill a glass from the tap. Or does anyone know different?
Old Feb 17, 2018, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by ajx2
This links back to my question at #2115 . Presumably this is exactly the same water that comes out of the taps. I don't know that for sure. My first trip to Rangali is still a few days away, but in every other Maldivian resort I've stayed at, the desalinated water that gets piped to the villas is the same stuff they put in the filtered water bottles. Presumably that's the case at Rangali too, in which case you just fill a glass from the tap. Or does anyone know different?
No, it is not the same. The tap water is NOT potable. The bottled water gets treated.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 4:11 pm

We were told that the tap water is drinkable, certainly ok for showering or brushing your teeth. But the bottle you receive in the glass bottles is treated further and is even suitable for things like baby formula.
But our host said if we needed more, we should just request extra bottles. IIRC we received two large glass bottles and two smaller ones plus they were refilled every morning and at night during turndown service.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by SR12
We were told that the tap water is drinkable, certainly ok for showering or brushing your teeth. But the bottle you receive in the glass bottles is treated further and is even suitable for things like baby formula.
But our host said if we needed more, we should just request extra bottles. IIRC we received two large glass bottles and two smaller ones plus they were refilled every morning and at night during turndown service.
SR12 is correct on all points. You used to be able to get tap water at Atoll Market & Rangali Bar if you asked for it but not anymore AFAIK.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 5:31 pm

Programs: AC SE
Would walking around with a refillable water bottle be frowned upon? What if you brought a bottle to one of the restaurants?
Old Feb 17, 2018, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by jasdou
Would walking around with a refillable water bottle be frowned upon? What if you brought a bottle to one of the restaurants?
An increasing number of guests are doing just that. I suppose it would depend on what you think is acceptable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.