Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2014 to 2017] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2014 to 2017] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2017, 10:45 am

DWV in poor condition

Does anyone know what DWV this is? You'll need to see the review here for details and more pics. The reviewer is there now and so these pictures depict the current condition of the room.

Old Oct 14, 2017, 11:01 am

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
I don't know which exact villa this is, but the pics don't surprise me much...

Nothing I haven't seen here before - maybe not all combined in one villa, but still. I always thought the furniture looked quite "used" and the overall appearance of some things does not look like "5 star" here. Not anymore in the newly renovated BVs, though - those look great now! ^

My wife mentioned it as well as we moved into the RWV, coming from a renovated BV: "this place could use a renovation as well"...
Old Oct 14, 2017, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by goliath
the pics don't surprise me much...
Old Oct 14, 2017, 11:53 am

I don't know which exact villa this is, but the pics don't surprise me much...

Nothing I haven't seen here before - maybe not all combined in one villa, but still. I always thought the furniture looked quite "used" and the overall appearance of some things does not look like "5 star" here. Not anymore in the newly renovated BVs, though - those look great now! ^

My wife mentioned it as well as we moved into the RWV, coming from a renovated BV: "this place could use a renovation as well"...
Yeah, the "maybe not all combined in one villa" is what went through my mind also. The SWVs, on the other hand, should be in much better condition (at least woodwork-wise) than before. Could someone take some pics of the inside if possible and post them somewhere? TIA.

Last edited by MaldivesFreak; Oct 14, 2017 at 12:02 pm
Old Oct 14, 2017, 2:49 pm

I am planning to go to Conrad Rangali for 3 nights and then 2 nights at Holiday Inn Kandooma. I assume most people usually do the opposite but I was just wondering if this seems okay?

What I am wondering is if anyone can tell me the typical process. I assume I would fly to MLE and take a sea plane or a regular domestic flight to Conrad Rangali. Stay there 3 nights and then take a flight back to MLE. Get picked up by Holiday inn and take a boat transfer to Holiday Inn Kandooma, and stay 2 nights and then get a transfer back to the Airport or Male.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 8:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold, QF Gold, VA Gold, IC Diamond Amb., HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dr0832
I am planning to go to Conrad Rangali for 3 nights and then 2 nights at Holiday Inn Kandooma. I assume most people usually do the opposite but I was just wondering if this seems okay?

What I am wondering is if anyone can tell me the typical process. I assume I would fly to MLE and take a sea plane or a regular domestic flight to Conrad Rangali. Stay there 3 nights and then take a flight back to MLE. Get picked up by Holiday inn and take a boat transfer to Holiday Inn Kandooma, and stay 2 nights and then get a transfer back to the Airport or Male.
That seems like the most practical way to get it done but that does feel like quite a step down in property there!
Old Oct 14, 2017, 11:01 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Does anyone know what DWV this is? You'll need to see the review here for details and more pics. The reviewer is there now and so these pictures depict the current condition of the room.
We were in 346 - which was in excellent condition - so its definitely not that villa unless the pictured damage happened in the past 2 months.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 5:48 am

Programs: SPG Plt, HHonors Gold, UA Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Gold
Currently here... wow. This place is amazing. Thank you all (esp MaldivesFreak) for all the info you posted. It helped me get the best villas and hit the ground running on all activities

our SWV is not in that bad of shape, room 342 it looks great. Definately not that wear and tare

oh bte ithaa serves breakfast now. Basically it's a contential breakfast with a glass of champagne. It was in the mid-$100s (I think $160++, I can get he exact price if anyone is interested)

loving life right now! If anyone sees us at happy hour or tea say hi!!
Old Oct 15, 2017, 6:09 am

Originally Posted by freeloader
If anyone sees us at happy hour or tea say hi!!
How do we recognise you? Sent you a PM two days ago but haven't heard back yet.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by alanslegal
We were in 346 - which was in excellent condition - so its definitely not that villa unless the pictured damage happened in the past 2 months.
Noted. Thanks!

Currently here... wow. This place is amazing. Thank you all (esp MaldivesFreak) for all the info you posted. It helped me get the best villas and hit the ground running on all activities
Glad it was of help.

oh bte ithaa serves breakfast now. Basically it's a contential breakfast with a glass of champagne. It was in the mid-$100s (I think $160++, I can get he exact price if anyone is interested)
Please. Thanks.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by jozdemir
That seems like the most practical way to get it done but that does feel like quite a step down in property there!
Any intel on Kurumba resort? I actually don't have any IHG points now so was going to pay cash for these two nights so if there is a better resort at a similar price, I could do that as well.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 9:29 am

You will, most probably, regret this. I advise doing it the other way round as nobody really wants to start their holiday off in luxury on a private, twin-island resort and then end up at a far less private resort which has far fewer everything and almost the same prices for food (burgers are $35 which isn't far off that of Rangali) and water sports (exactly the same price as Rangali for a jetski, for example). It's not a place that you can just take a taxi back to the next day, week or month to do it in reverse order. Also, if you haven't been to the Maldives before, you want the best possible memories and the day you depart really sticks with you for ever. After you have gone down a few steps quality-wise and spend those last 2 days at the Holiday Inn, I can just about guarantee that you are going to wish your last days were at Rangali. They're just worlds apart.

That's pretty much it.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 10:37 am

The new bridge and construction site for the new underwater suite is another setback for the view on the sunrise side of Rangalifinolhu island (in addition to the recent additions of the 3rd island bridge and the "sand bags").
Any chance you could take a pic and post it here?
Here are some pics of the construction site for the new underwater villa. Supposedly, the villa itself is being built completely by the manufacturer in Singapore (same company as Ithaa back in the day) and then brought here by ship to be lowered onto the foundation they are building now - in February next year, if I remember correctly.

(click on a picture for a larger view):

aerial view (sorry for the quality, crop from a great distance), the construction site can be seen below Rangalifinolhu island:

view from around 214 at low tide:

view from the Spa retreat bridge last week:

views from around 205:

views from the Spa retreat bridge this week - the ship has been there for a couple of days now:

view from the other end of the staff island (some construction going on on the staff island as well):

I'm too lazy to upload more pics right now, but will add more of other areas later on.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 11:41 am

I never read the upgrade figures in the wiki properly but did today and would like to share mine which I got in Jan 2017 for our past stay in Feb 2017:

Beach Villa to Deluxe Beach Villa - USD280++ taxes per night
Beach Villa to Retreat Water Villa - USD385++ taxes per night
Beach Villa to Premier Water Villa - USD980++ taxes per night

I think the BV to RWV is far less than what's in the wiki for high season, right?
We booked the DBV offer but where upgraded to DWV instead.
Does this happen regularly?
Old Oct 15, 2017, 6:06 pm

You will, most probably, regret this. I advise doing it the other way round as nobody really wants to start their holiday off in luxury on a private, twin-island resort and then end up at a far less private resort which has far fewer everything and almost the same prices for food (burgers are $35 which isn't far off that of Rangali) and water sports (exactly the same price as Rangali for a jetski, for example). It's not a place that you can just take a taxi back to the next day, week or month to do it in reverse order. Also, if you haven't been to the Maldives before, you want the best possible memories and the day you depart really sticks with you for ever. After you have gone down a few steps quality-wise and spend those last 2 days at the Holiday Inn, I can just about guarantee that you are going to wish your last days were at Rangali. They're just worlds apart.

That's pretty much it.

Yeah the problem is that Holiday Inn has no availability on the two days prior to the weekend and I am of course using free weekend certificates for Conrad, so that means I can only book the IHG after. Is there a different resort you would suggest that doesn't require another $500 sea plane. A couple hunded boat transfer is fine? I am looking to spend about $1000 for 2 nights including food and this is for next month.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.