Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2014 to 2017] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

[ARCHIVE 2014 to 2017] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Old Sep 22, 2017, 1:29 pm

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
photo 2 - - well im a repeater and i'm still stumped.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 5:03 pm

We are up early..

is is a good strategy fruit in morning then late breakfast at Atoll, then tea time/ happy hour?

Trying to extend our dollar as far as it will go..

The guests are probably 98% Chinese. Is that typical?

Any other recommendations, since I feel like I have already forgotten most of what I have read? Lol

Last edited by enwhycee; Sep 22, 2017 at 6:27 pm
Old Sep 22, 2017, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by enwhycee
We are up early..

is is a good strategy fruit in morning then late breakfast at Atoll, then tea time/ happy hour?

Any other recommendations, since I feel like I have already forgotten most of what I have read? Lol
If you fill up at Atoll and then tea time and HH you may not even need fruit in the AM.

And yes lots of Chinese. I wouldn't say 98% but maybe 60%. Get used to it, they are gettting more and more rich....
Old Sep 22, 2017, 8:51 pm

Can someone please let me know where what time is a tea time and happy hour at this hotel. Will I get these information at check in desk.

Thanks .
Old Sep 22, 2017, 11:22 pm

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by vnfilm1
Can someone please let me know where what time is a tea time and happy hour at this hotel. Will I get these information at check in desk.
Yes, you will get that info at check-in - or here in the Wiki at the top of this thread.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 3:33 am

Originally Posted by mnredfox
If you fill up at Atoll and then tea time and HH you may not even need fruit in the AM.

And yes lots of Chinese. I wouldn't say 98% but maybe 60%. Get used to it, they are gettting more and more rich....
Every interaction with the staff has been them complaining about them ruining reef or scratching the whale shark etc..

Oh well. Can't get over how awesome the DBV is.

Worried about missing it, when we move over to the SWV..
Old Sep 23, 2017, 6:24 am

Mainlanders...

also, you make have to prompt about the tea time at checkin. I've not been to it as I wasn't told either of my visits, and assumed it had stopped running or something. Quite disappointing really.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 9:47 am

Careful, the FT Truth Police will be onto you for that, LOL!

Can't remember if we were told about tea time on our first visit but they certainly didn't let us know at check-in on subsequent visits (not that they should after the 2nd as repeaters find out about it in due course anyhow). OTOH, there was a welcome letter which did detail it (when we were entitled to it, 2nd visit onwards IIRC) waiting in the room.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 11:02 am

We are up early..

That's pretty much SOP for saving those greenbacks.

May seem like that (might be hard to differentiate between mainlanders and other Chinese and other Asians too) but, as mnredfox says, probably only around 60%, possibly a bit into the 70s or higher if they are doing promos for the Chinese market. If you include Koreans, Japanese and perhaps a few other nationalities within Asia and Southeast Asia then you could be looking at a figure in the high 80s. If they were mostly mainlanders like you say it would be a little strange because their kids have just gone back to school this month and there are no holidays right now to make them travel in greater numbers than usual. It's usually 2/3 or above mainlanders in the school holidays which are the last week in June and all of July and August.

Are you going to do a beach dinner? How many nights are you there for again?
Old Sep 23, 2017, 11:11 am

Every interaction with the staff has been them complaining about them ruining reef or scratching the whale shark etc..
Scratching the whale sharks? Bleeding hell. Shame they can't scratch back! How do they manage that, anyway?

Originally Posted by mnredfox
Wouldn't surprise me if someone opened up a resort specifically excluding the mainland market. @:-)@:-)@:-)@:-)@:-) There are a few restaurants around the globe like that. If I had 100mil to invest I know what I'd be doing.....
Old Sep 23, 2017, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
If you have set plans, i.e; to do excursion X on particular day, do dinner at a particular restaurant on a particular day, then yes, by all means email them with your whole schedule now as they take reservations up to 2 weeks prior. It might sound unspontaneous and sticking to a rigid schedule, but at least for us and I've heard from many others, it doesn't seem at all like that when you are there. You will need to book the main restaurants / special dinners a few days in advance if you want to be assured you'll have a table anyway so might as well plan it out, especially since you're only there for 5N. You don't want to be in the position where you have to miss out on a dinner at places like Mandhoo, Sunset Grill or Vilu.

Also, be aware that the honeymoon dinner is going to be at Mandhoo and that it's closed on Mondays.
Hey MF,

Why is there so much talk about reserving anything at this resort?

Every restaurant is empty. There is no need to reserve anything.

Is it just high season that your speak of?

We haven't really had the desire to spend outrageous prices to eat at empty restaurants.

Have been enjoying the fairly reasonable priced meals at Rangali bar.

Also only about a dozen people at tea time and HH which is nice.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Scratching the whale sharks? Bleeding hell. Shame they can't scratch back! How do they manage that, anyway?

I guess there is difficulty translating "DONT TOUCH THEM" and they wear so much sunscreen that poisons them.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 3:55 am

Hey MF,

Why is there so much talk about reserving anything at this resort?

Every restaurant is empty. There is no need to reserve anything.

Is it just high season that your speak of?

We haven't really had the desire to spend outrageous prices to eat at empty restaurants.

Also only about a dozen people at tea time and HH which is nice.
Mainlanders have an aversion to a lot of Western style and fusion cuisine so they prefer Atoll Market and Ufaa (after it improved when they changed the menu) and Ithaa for the experience. For example, none of the people I've gone with (except my girlfriend of course) or have recommended Rangali and Ithaa to, have praised the food at Ithaa. Some might read this and think well, that's just a few people. JIC some of you don't know, I have lived in mainland China for more than 15 years and I can tell you it's very hard for them to accept or get used to Western / non-native cuisine.
As a general rule, the more you see at the resort the less trouble you have booking tables at Mandhoo, Sunset Grill and Vilu.
Forgot to mention that The Wine Cellar dinner, Tapas and Cheese Fondue are also almost never patronized by them and are very easy to get seats at if their numbers are high.

Last edited by MaldivesFreak; Sep 24, 2017 at 7:05 am
Old Sep 24, 2017, 7:28 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
When did the Ufaa menu change occur? Last few visits were underwhelming. Willing to give it another go if the menu change was recent.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 8:16 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
You should get dinner at the Quiet Zone. Also reasonably priced, lovely atmosphere near the water, you might have the place to yourself.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.