$1,200 per Night for a Hampton?

Old Jan 6, 08, 8:38 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Programs: AA EXP 2MM, Hilton Dia, SPG PT, National Exec Elite, MAR Silver, Ex UA 1K
Posts: 232
$1,200 per Night for a Hampton?

I booked the Hampton in Juarez Mexico for Jan. 7 for two nights. Got a rate of $99 per night. Went to electronically check in today and noticed the rate was $1,120.50 per night for a total with tax over $2,400 for two nights. Called the Diamond desk, was informed the rate was correct for a standard room. While I like earning HHpoints, this is slightly above company policy After a long discussion, the D desk finally understood. Changed rate to $120.50, will argue when I get to the hotel.

It seemed that someone put in an extra digit. I thought everything was computerized and thus impossible to make an error. Anyone else seen anything like this?
illinifan is offline  
Old Jan 6, 08, 8:45 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Programs: ICH Ambassador, HH Gold VIP, Starwood Platinum Preferred, UA Premier
Posts: 10,627
Originally Posted by illinifan View Post
I booked the Hampton in Juarez Mexico for Jan. 7 for two nights. Got a rate of $99 per night. Went to electronically check in today and noticed the rate was $1,120.50 per night for a total with tax over $2,400 for two nights. Called the Diamond desk, was informed the rate was correct for a standard room. While I like earning HHpoints, this is slightly above company policy After a long discussion, the D desk finally understood. Changed rate to $120.50, will argue when I get to the hotel.

It seemed that someone put in an extra digit. I thought everything was computerized and thus impossible to make an error. Anyone else seen anything like this?
System is programmed to recognize all Illiini fans.
Camino1 is offline  
Old Jan 6, 08, 9:30 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 118
I would have guessed it was quoted in local currency (Pesos). What is the exchange rate now?
alik19 is offline  
Old Jan 6, 08, 9:40 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: BOS / ICN
Programs: nothing but freebies
Posts: 244
Originally Posted by alik19 View Post
I would have guessed it was quoted in local currency (Pesos). What is the exchange rate now?
Good call. 1 USD=11 peso so $99~1100 peso.
edta450 is offline  
Old Jan 6, 08, 10:40 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Charlie South
Programs: AA EXP; HH Diamond; Marriott Gold
Posts: 446
Originally Posted by edta450 View Post
Good call. 1 USD=11 peso so $99~1100 peso.
Wow, the US Dollar is still more valuable than the Mexican Peso?
OverpaidSlacker is offline  
Old Jan 6, 08, 10:50 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: South Pacific
Programs: UA
Posts: 1,794
...and they also use the $ sign down south, even if quoted in MXP currency
Fiumicino is offline  
Old Jan 6, 08, 11:09 pm
  #7  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Yiron, Israel
Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Posts: 62,881
Originally Posted by Fiumicino View Post
...and they also use the $ sign down south, even if quoted in MXP currency
I didn't realize that Malpensa has its own currency, much less that they use it in Mexico.
Dovster is offline  
Old Jan 6, 08, 11:39 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Programs: UA 1K MM, DL MM, AS, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,437
Originally Posted by Dovster View Post
I didn't realize that Malpensa has its own currency, much less that they use it in Mexico.
MXP is the currency code for MeXican Pesos.
SJC1K is offline  
Old Jan 6, 08, 11:40 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: South Pacific
Programs: UA
Posts: 1,794
Originally Posted by Dovster View Post
I didn't realize that Malpensa has its own currency, much less that they use it in Mexico.
Sorry, I meant MXN http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MXN
Fiumicino is offline  
Old Jan 7, 08, 1:29 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Programs: UA 1K MM, DL MM, AS, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,437
Originally Posted by SJC1K View Post
MXP is the currency code for MeXican Pesos.
Oops! I missed the fact that the ISO 4217 currency code had changed when Mexico redenominated the peso.
SJC1K is offline  
Old Jan 7, 08, 3:50 am
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Posts: 16,407
Originally Posted by illinifan View Post
...It seemed that someone put in an extra digit. I thought everything was computerized and thus impossible to make an error...


Computerization doesn't make errors "impossible." Human beings write the computer programs and human beings enter the data. Human beings still sometimes make mistakes in either process. @:-)

Of course, in this case it's actually a moot point, since the rate was apparently denominated in Mexican pesos anyhow. No mistake after all! Much ado about nothing!!!
KathyWdrf is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: