Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Surfers Paradise {AUS}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2017, 8:15 am
cjd

markis10, why are your photos upside down? Disappointed to hear about your poor stay. We stayed there a couple of years ago, midweek, and thoroughly enjoyed our stay in the residences. Did plan to return in the future, but will see how reports go.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 3:16 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cjd
markis10, why are your photos upside down
I have an iPad with down under settings
Old Mar 20, 2017, 5:50 am

Programs: QF OWE, HH D, HGP D, Starriott Plat, AA/LM/SQ/VA/QF/AS/BA
After several stays here I now avoid this property for most of the reasons already stated here by other members, even as a Diamond. But what rally ticks me off are the super soft beds that offer no postural support at all. I had major problems sleeping on any bed despite changing rooms three times. Evidently they do not 'stock' firmer beds in any room nor in housekeeping. The wooden planks they offer to insert directly under the topper are a waste of everyone's time and effort.

After a recent stay at the Sheraton Mirage, there are just as many problems with the property although at least the mattresses are slightly more tolerable.

The Marriott is looking like my next candidate if I have the patience and care factor for Australia's 'Gold Coast' (low socio undeserved sense of entitlement/status).
Old Mar 22, 2017, 8:19 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
And the fun continues, spend $851AUD for the stay, received 3901 base points indicating a $390USD spend. Current exchange rates have it at a spend of $650USD. I understand you don't get points on taxes, which the hotel appears to be avoiding given my tax invoice says GST was $3.27

Emailed a query, got the following rubbish:

Please be advised that Base Points are the standard points an Hilton Honors member earns for their hotel stay. Members receive 10 Base Points (5 Base Points at Home 2 Suites) per USD spent on the hotel bill before taxes.

In addition, points awarded for stays at hotels within the Hilton portfolio outside the U.S. will be based on local currency converted to U.S. dollars. This rate will be determined at our sole discretion, based on standard currency conversion methods but may vary from currency conversion rates used by credit card companies.

Please note that continued modifications of your stay posting after the departure date can be affected by the exchange rate that is constantly changing. I sincerely apologize as we are not able to provide further modifications to the stay to apply a previous exchange rate.
So apparently the missing $250usd of spend is blamed on currency exchange, which has perhaps varied by 1% at most.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 1:26 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Does any one recently stayed at the apartment? We booked for a two bedroom apartment and wondering if breakfast will be included for everyone in the house (4 adults, 2 kids)?
Old Aug 8, 2017, 11:52 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by Ausriver
Does any one recently stayed at the apartment? We booked for a two bedroom apartment and wondering if breakfast will be included for everyone in the house (4 adults, 2 kids)?
My understanding is that if you stay in the residence as opposed to the hotel, breakfast is not included, unless your rate explicitly says it is (in which case, it should also say for how many people). But I haven't stayed at this property in a few years, so things may have changed.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 6:51 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Diamond benefits apply regardless of where you stay in the property, I thought?
Old Aug 9, 2017, 8:26 pm
jxd

1 night stay coming up next week, dropped them an email and was pre upgraded from deluxe to executive. Will post update when I'm there
Old Aug 9, 2017, 10:02 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors
Originally Posted by jxd
1 night stay coming up next week, dropped them an email and was pre upgraded from deluxe to executive. Will post update when I'm there
Awesome. Any tips as to what to say to them in an email?
Old Aug 10, 2017, 5:44 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by m0hamed
Diamond benefits apply regardless of where you stay in the property, I thought?
At least when I stayed in the residence, a few years back, they were adamant that benefits only applied when staying in the hotel.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 11:13 pm
jxd

Originally Posted by earlyriser
Awesome. Any tips as to what to say to them in an email?
I straight up requested for an upgrade if it's available and the next day i checked i was pre-upgraded to an executive room.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 6:03 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Great Location but a Few Flaws

Hilton Surfers Paradise Hotel

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

6 Orchid Ave Surfers Paradise Surfers Paradise, QL AU 4217

Hilton Surfers Paradise - Great Location but a Few Flaws (13 Photos)

I had a 5-night stay on points at this property which was a mixed bag.  I was not overly impressed, but my stay was not terrible either.  I would return if I had to be in Surfers Paradise again.

Room

As a Diamond member I was upgraded to a relaxation room facing the ocean, just one floor (14) below the executive lounge (15) so views are nice.  I believe this room was possibly the best non-suite room in the hotel so it was a fairly generous upgrade.  The views from there are great particularly with the floor to ceiling windows.  The room is at the end of the hall way so not exactly a “corner” room given the shape of the hotel, but I would say an “end” room.  The room was spacious and the bathroom as well.  The bed was very comfortable and I had great sleep every day and I was not disturbed by noise at all.  There was a stain on the carpet in the corridor leading to the room however.  Nothing major but it was in contrast with the rest of the room which was bright and clean.  Water pressure was not very good in the shower. 

20180212_010552.jpg20180212_010603.jpg20180212_010618.jpg20180212_011011.jpg20180212_011025.jpg

The strong point of this hotel is the location.  It is right in the middle of the action with several shops and restaurants around; I do not think the location can be any better.  The Novotel is very close so equally desirable for the location.  The location of the Marriott is not as good because it’s a bit away from the beach or the shop/restaurant area, although still walkable.  But at Hilton you are literally right there.  Self-parking underground is 20 AUD per day. 

Dining

The executive lounge design is very nice with several different kinds of seating options, including a terrace outside, several tables inside by the window on 2 different sides of the hotel to enjoy the view, or larger tables for bigger groups away from windows.  There is also a meeting room within the lounge.  The breakfast in the lounge left to the desired.  The only hot food choice was bacon every day – no omelets or anything else.  There was smoked salmon which I had most mornings, but the rest was pretty standard western choices and nothing to be excited about, such as standard hotel fruits.  Since it was my first stay in Australia, I do not know if this is common in the country so I do not have a good benchmark.  The hotel does not offer free breakfast in the restaurant for Diamond members – you have to pay 10 AUD extra per person.  I cannot recall a Hilton hotel elsewhere that you do not get the choice of free breakfast in the lounge OR restaurant for Diamond members, at least not the Hiltons I have been to.  Evenings food choices in the lounge were not great either, but at least there were 2 hot choices.  The problem is that one of the two was vegetable samosas every day.  Only the second was changing, for example they had pork dumplings, cheese tarts, fried chicken, etc.  The salads were nice so it could serve as an appetizer.  They had one choice of red wine, one choice of white white, and they had sparkling wine.  I only went once in the afternoon and they had good sandwiches and some desserts.  So I think afternoon tea is actually better than breakfast and evening canapés.  Service in the lounge was sometimes friendly, and sometimes completely absent particularly in the morning, on occasion there was no staff at all for 10 minutes straight (access to the lounge is via key card).  So bottom line the lounge is so-so but if you stay in another hotel, you might not even get a lounge, for example Novotel or Marriott, so a lounge is better than no lounge.  Room service options left to be desired but with so many restaurants around the hotel, it does not matter much.

1518485851211.jpg1518485876604.jpg1518485878318.jpg1518485883823.jpg

Amenities

This hotel is a bit stingy in terms of amenities in the room.  Refills were hard to come by, 2 water bottles were provided on arrival but never after, no mouthwash available, etc.  Also you also cannot get a water bottle from the lounge to take to your room – only water from the lounge is in a large container to fill your glass.

Gym

The gym was surprisingly small for a hotel of this size, including several floors above the hotel which are for Hilton Residence guests.  There was only one free weight!

20180212_221529.jpg

Pool

There are two outside pools and one indoor pool.  The pool areas outside were ok but nothing special so I would say the Hilton is great to go to the beach, but not so much to enjoy the pool.  For some reason the bar at the pool was closed when I stopped by, even though it was mid afternoon.  You had to call the restaurant if you wanted a snack or a drink.

20180212_221843.jpg20180212_221957.jpg20180212_222103.jpg

Internet

I rarely comment on the internet connection when I visit hotels, but for this one it was as bad as I have experienced since I visited Beijing two years ago.  It was slow at all hours of day or night, but fortunately no outages so usable for e-mail at least. 

Overall

Overall at this hotel I can say great location and good room upgrade.  Perhaps a few minor issues might make me investigate other destinations than Surfers Paradise for a vacation, but if I had to be in Surfers again, I would probably pick the Hilton again because I am not sure there are better alternatives in the Surfers Paradise area at least from hotel chains one might have status. 

Hilton Surfers Paradise - Great Location but a Few Flaws

Would you like to write a review on the Hilton Surfers Paradise Hotel?

No, thank you.
Yes
RafKa likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 9:00 pm

Thank you for the detailed review. I was actually thinking of going to Surfers for a short break, but having read your review I know to skip the Hilton now.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 10:28 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by puchong
Thank you for the detailed review. I was actually thinking of going to Surfers for a short break, but having read your review I know to skip the Hilton now.
The Sheraton Mirage is vastly superior.

Surprised the review doesn’t mention the noise issue of the bars that reach up 15 floors of the hotel.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 12:45 am

Originally Posted by m0hamed

The Sheraton Mirage is vastly superior...
Yes, stayed there in the past; though I am not a beach person, I must stay the virtually private beach at the Mirage is really stunning. They grudgingly upgraded us to a suite, but it faced a car park in the rear - not good. After severe Internet issues, the next night we were further upgraded into a really nice, if somewhat gaudy, beachfront suite. That night, the electric drapes kept moving back and forth on their own, as if they were haunted! This started around 1 AM and continued the rest of the night! Must stay the hotel handled it very well the next morning. The wife would love to go back, while I am still mourning the loss of the Noosa property/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.