Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Surfers Paradise {AUS}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2012, 3:03 pm

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
Originally Posted by jtatlanta
Thanks Syphanx.

We are all between 35 and 50 and over for work. Hopefully we can find some decent places to eat at night and have a few beers that are not too wild.

Main thing of course is to get a decent nights sleep.
Call/ email the hotel in advance, advise them of your status and request a high floor room on the Southern or Northern side of the hotel. Otherwise street-level noise during schoolies will be unbearable.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:59 am

Programs: QFF Platinum (56% LTS), Europcar Privilege Elite VIP
Ok, so last night in the Hilton on Surfers Paradise, wasn't as chaotic as I thought it was going to be (in relation to schoolies)

The Good:

- Was put on a fairly high floor of the hotel section (floor 14), the hotel portion only has 15 (executive lounge and a few rooms located on this floor).

- Not as many schoolies as expected were staying in the hotel and all of them are located in a residence tower (tower 1)

- Didnt really dine out much but I think the majority of the restaurants were ok since the kids just cooked for themselves.

The Bad:

- The streets are chaotic (especially at night)

- Nowhere to get a quiet beer or two. Beer yes, quiet no.

From my experience, if staying during the schoolies period I would definitely book a room (or get upgraded) with executive lounge benefits as it gives you a place to grab a drink and some food (with a nice view) and get out of the chaos of street level venues. Overall the Hilton have managed the schoolies accommodation very well and from my experience they (the schoolies) have not caused an inconvenience for other guests.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 5:35 am

Programs: DL DIA, BA Gold
Just got back after a week at Hilton Surfers Paradise. Overall was pretty good. I did get an upgrade to a suite as a Diamond but still a lot of street noise. Executive lounge is very nice with fantastic views. Staff were good overall. Very nice hotel bar. Lots of schoolies in the local bars so very busy but not really a big deal. Didn't see any schoolies in the hotel.

In terms of nightlife we walked a lot to either Broad Beach or Main Beach and experienced probably some the best resturants and nightlife in the world, yes really. I was blown away by the variety and quality. The fact you can walk everywhere from the hotel is also a big plus, no worrying about DUI's or parking etc. Also went to Mount Tamborine which was well worth it.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 10:10 pm

Programs: QF Gold
Very interested to also know how HHGold is treated.

Tempted to book a stay for early Jan.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 3:22 pm

Hilton Surfers Paradise

Got an upgrade from the most basic room to a King Executive, but still the tiniest room on the entire floor. The hotel is also massively understaffed, long lines at check in, pool area not clean, mattresses filthy, empty drink glasses left everywhere and no one around to clean them - even in the sauna. Lounge staff non-existent and not resupplying the food offering or cleaning after previous guests. Most expensive Hilton I've ever stayed in and definitely most underwhelming. Sydney Hilton and Adelaide seem leaps and bounds over this one. Stayed at the Sofitel at Broadbeach and next time will definitely stay there over the Surfers Hilton.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 10:05 am

Programs: *A Gold, HH dia,Hyatt plat,Sixt PLAT,QF , EY Gold
Any golds stay recently ? Booked a one bedroom and hoping for a two bedroom ocean with lounge access
Old Jan 27, 2014, 3:47 pm

Programs: HH - Diamond BA - Blue
Exec Lounge access & moan

In short... I think the answer to the above question might be no, unless you pay (I think around $99 per NIGHT) or are in a hotel Exec room/suite, at least for golds. Maybe different for diamonds.

In long....

We have booked a 2 bedroom deluxe apartment in the residences for 4 nights on an advance purchase rate at the end of Feb/start of March and have had not a great pre-stay experience thus far.

After noticing 10 days later after booking that no money had been taken for my card, I logged into my Hhonours account to find the reservation gone and had been cancelled without any knowledge to myself. Concerned with what had happened I called the central Hilton reservation number. Gave my confirmation number and was promptly told that I had cancelled it.... I hadn't, nor should I even of been able to as the reservation is for a non refundable advanced purchase rate!!! The agent I had on the phone then said there was a payment card problem after phoning the hotel. Fine, and we could of resolved this had I know about it. After some faffing and around 30 minutes on the phone I now have a new Confirmation # for the same room, dates and rates. Then a few days later the same thing happens again... cancelled... with no notification. Apparently they had emailed... never got it or it got stuck in a spam folder somewhere. For a 4 night $$$$ stay they should have called if there was a problem.

After it being cancelled a 2nd time I sent a fairly stroppy email to the hotel and hhonours describing what had happened, and suggesting they might have called to let me know if any issues with the booking. Got calls and emails from the hotel the next day who took payment over the phone on a different credit card. Offered a free deluxe ocean view upgrade for the hassle.

So...

- As far as I'm aware, no one in between me booking (either of the reservations) and me calling/emailing to see why it had been cancelled contacted me via phone to let me know there was anything wrong.
- If I hadn't keep an eye on my Hhonours account, I could of turned up in February 2014 with my reservation email to then be told 'oh sorry, you cancelled that back in November or whatever'. It would no doubt of completely ruined our trip.
- I have since called my bank who confirm they have not blocked any card transactions on the account recently, so I'm convinced the hotel were doing something wrong with it.

Asked about lounge access being Gold as I was totally confused about whether the apartment would get lounge access as there was executive mentioned in the descriptions in a few places on the website but in others no mention. Reply from hotel below.

"Thank you for your email regarding the Executive Lounge Access Rights. With the current changes in the benefits for HH Gold members, unfortunately the Hotel are not able to provide complimentary access."

...so they are playing the blame game with Hilton Corporate. Sigh... Penny pinching by the hotel, it would seem. A shame...

And to top it all off, I notice my room rate has dropped in price since booking. So their 'free upgrade' room is now being sold for less than what I paid for the cheaper room at the time!!! ahhh!!

It better be a nice apartment

Last edited by lifetimeblue; Jan 27, 2014 at 3:53 pm
Old May 20, 2014, 10:08 am

Programs: Hilton Gold
bump - any recent reviews about this Hilton? I just booked a 2 night stay (starts on Thursday). HH Diamond so hoping for a suite upgrade. Not interested in peace and quiet - looking to have fun at the bar and nightlife scene, so I think the location suits me.

I also booked a reservation at the Marriott resort. I know it's a little farther north, but the facilities at the Marriott looked great. Any thoughts between the 2 hotels? trying to determine which one to cancel
Old May 20, 2014, 9:18 pm

Just stayed there and the weekdays are DEAD this time of year. EL is very understaffed and you're lucky to see any personnel at all up there (very courteous and helpful when you do see them). Booze is only available during service hours though the lounge itself is open all day.

Booked the King relaxation suite, top room category on the hotel side. Sofa was so dingy, used a towel on it the entire stay. Ocean view was partial at best.

night one - no turndown
night two - turndown, no chocolates
night three - full turndown

Temp first night jumped from 21 to 26 with the in-room air conditioning. (Yes, I was using correctly). So I sweat out a couple pounds.

Location is perfect, hotel is so-so. Best part of that location is the laundry down the street will deliver your clothes for a $5 fee.

I wouldn't have ripped in to them had I not been awarded ZERO HHonors points for my paid stay based on a rate which is now under review by HHonors.

Last edited by saaveraward; May 20, 2014 at 9:55 pm
Old May 21, 2014, 1:57 am

We stayed at Surfers for a week in Feb in a 2 bed residence apartment.

I wouldn't have ripped in to them had I not been awarded ZERO HHonors points for my paid stay based on a rate which is now under review by HHonors.
Aircon in our residence suite also liked changing temp/switching off during the night.

We got zero points also for our stay there. Quick email to [email protected] sorted that.

I also booked a reservation at the Marriott resort. I know it's a little farther north, but the facilities at the Marriott looked great. Any thoughts between the 2 hotels? trying to determine which one to cancel
If you're there for the nightlife go to the Hilton, you can roll into the place from the night clubs (as long as you remember your room key as they are all security fobbed entrances)

The Hilton's pool looks nice, but was cold when we were there in Feb so never used it. There is an indoor one, though. Large chuck of the pool area only gets sunlight at certain (limited) parts of the day.

The reservations department I found to be totally hopeless from start to finish. I thought after our debacle (see above) at booking things could only get better, but they didn't and managed to get a whole lot worse on checkout. Won't go into it but do check your bill carefully.

s
Old May 21, 2014, 5:28 am

Hilton Surfers Paradise

thanks for the feedback. sad to hear that this property is sub par but hoping that proximity to clubs makes up for it!
Old May 21, 2014, 7:07 am

Room are nice (as I say we went with the residency and were impressed). Breakfast is good. Views are fantastic (if you have ocean view). Indoor pool, sauna and spa nice enough. Pool bar good but was barely open at all when we were there. So it's not all bad

(Hilton Pool 1 of 3)

Last edited by lifetimeblue; Dec 16, 2015 at 3:36 pm
Old May 21, 2014, 7:28 am

Hilton Surfers Paradise

those pics look great! I will report back on my stay there this weekend
Old May 29, 2014, 12:52 pm

Some thoughts on my stay:

Excellent. Probably the best thing this hotel has going for it. It is on Orchid street, about a block away from the esplanade, and right on the same street as most of the nightclubs/bars in Surfers Paradise.

Room:

I was upgraded to a 2 room relaxation suite (from a standard room) at no charge. The room had a nice balcony in the bedroom and a separate living room area with couches. Two big LCD tvs (one in the living room, one in the bedroom). Bathroom had a separate tub and shower. Nice partial view of the beach (thanks to the large high rise that was across the street from the Hilton)

Amenities:

nice pool on the 2nd floor, however it was totally empty when I went. It's outdoors and unheated, so since it was breezy people may have chosen to stay out.

The gym was pretty poor. It felt like an afterthought, tucked away in the basement. The equipment itself was pretty new, but the room itself felt very desolate. No windows, poor airflow. Not for the claustrophobic to be sure.

Restaurant was nice and the free breakfast for Diamonds was great. Eggs, waffles, fruits, bacon. A pity I was too lazy to go the first day.

Service:

I arrived pretty early (around 945am), but they had my room (an upgraded suite) ready for check-in. Also had to check out early (around 6am), but it was a quick and painless process. The manager at the Executive Lounge was extremely helpful with some issues I was having with my power adapter, and was also helpful in recommending places to hang out and eat.

Overall:

I had a very fun time in Surfers Paradise, and the Hilton would be my top choice if I were to return as a Diamond.
Old May 29, 2014, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by shadowsjc
Some thoughts on my stay:

Excellent. Probably the best thing this hotel has going for it. It is on Orchid street, about a block away from the esplanade, and right on the same street as most of the nightclubs/bars in Surfers Paradise.

Room:

I was upgraded to a 2 room relaxation suite (from a standard room) at no charge. The room had a nice balcony in the bedroom and a separate living room area with couches. Two big LCD tvs (one in the living room, one in the bedroom). Bathroom had a separate tub and shower. Nice partial view of the beach (thanks to the large high rise that was across the street from the Hilton)

Amenities:

nice pool on the 2nd floor, however it was totally empty when I went. It's outdoors and unheated, so since it was breezy people may have chosen to stay out.

The gym was pretty poor. It felt like an afterthought, tucked away in the basement. The equipment itself was pretty new, but the room itself felt very desolate. No windows, poor airflow. Not for the claustrophobic to be sure.

Restaurant was nice and the free breakfast for Diamonds was great. Eggs, waffles, fruits, bacon. A pity I was too lazy to go the first day.

Service:

I arrived pretty early (around 945am), but they had my room (an upgraded suite) ready for check-in. Also had to check out early (around 6am), but it was a quick and painless process. The manager at the Executive Lounge was extremely helpful with some issues I was having with my power adapter, and was also helpful in recommending places to hang out and eat.

Overall:

I had a very fun time in Surfers Paradise, and the Hilton would be my top choice if I were to return as a Diamond.
Glad you liked it, it is a nice hotel. Hope we get back at some point!

...just check you got the correct amount of points from them

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.