FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Homewood Suites by Hilton Seattle Downtown {US-WA} (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/758050-homewood-suites-hilton-seattle-downtown-us-wa.html)

SFO-SJC Flyer Oct 3, 2004 7:15 pm

Homewood Suites by Hilton Seattle Downtown {US-WA}

Has anyone stayed at or know anything about the Homewood Suites on Western Avenue in downtown Seattle? Any information would be appreciated.

ermdjdsj Oct 3, 2004 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by SFO-SJC Flyer
Has anyone stayed at or know anything about the Homewood Suites on Western Avenue in downtown Seattle? Any information would be appreciated.

I stayed at Homewood Suits Seattle near downton early August of this year, it was fine. Convenient location, got upgraded as a gold to a large upper level corner room with a view of the bay. Breakfast buffet (on a weekend) was crowded, was hard to find a place to sit and eat, so took tray to room and ate with a view there! Wouldn't mind staying there again.

Craig6z Oct 3, 2004 10:31 pm

I was disappointed in the hotel, earlier this year (I am Diamond). Room was similar to that ermdjdsj received, but the hotel overall looked a bit worn. Also the hotel was full, and the noise level on my floor was surprisingly high.

Breakfast was as ermdjdsj described (although I was there during the week), very crowded.

A few months later I stayed at the Hampton in near the Seattle Center, much preferred it.

borisbear Oct 4, 2004 9:23 am

Don't let them fool you thinking this is a "downtown" hotel. It's near downtown. It's in the general downtown area if you are thinking of the general Seattle area, but don't be fooled into thinking it's just a short stroll to the Market or whatnot. It's not all that far (probably 20-25 minute walk to the market, and maybe only 15 to the space needle), but it's not in Downtown. It's down in a light industrial area near the grain port, and it's not the nicest area to walk around (not dangerous, mind you, but just not all that pleasant).

It's an easy 10-minute ride on the #15 or #18 bus to the heart of downtown), but to do just about anyhting else requires a walk uphill or along the not that nice part of the waterfront.(It's probably 5-10 flat minutes walking over to the end of the "waterfront streetcar" line. There's a nice park along the waterfront in front of your hotel, but you can't get to it because it's cut off by the railroad tracks except at the extreme ends of the park (there was talk about building a pedestrian overpass in the middle but I don't think it was ever done).

It;s a few minutes up hill to the "Lower Queen Anne" area of restaurants and shops, which is on the western edge of the "Seattle Center" (worlds fair) complex. The Space Needle, for example, is on the eastern edge of this complex and hence another five minutes' walk.

I wouldn't let that preclude you from staying there (especially if you are renting a car), but just be aware it's not really in the midst of everything.

(As an aside, the Hampton Inn "Downtown" is not really in downtown either, but it at least closer to the Space needle as it abuts the NE corner of the Seattle Center complex).

murrayhill Oct 4, 2004 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by Craig6z
I was disappointed in the hotel, earlier this year (I am Diamond). Room was similar to that ermdjdsj received, but the hotel overall looked a bit worn. Also the hotel was full, and the noise level on my floor was surprisingly high.

Breakfast was as ermdjdsj described (although I was there during the week), very crowded.

A few months later I stayed at the Hampton in near the Seattle Center, much preferred it.

Just be very careful if you stay at the HI during the summer and you get a suite, as I did when I was "upgraded" in August. Seems the living room has no A/C, only the bedroom. They do provide a fan, but it mostly blows hot air around. I happened to catch Seattle during a hot spell, and it was not fun. This was not disclosed to me at check-in, and since I had unpacked and had to do work, I declined the offer to move. In the end, they knocked $46 off the bill after I e-mailed HI, but you'd be wise to ask what room you're getting before you get a key.

SFO-SJC Flyer Oct 13, 2004 1:49 am

Thank You Very Much

Thank you all for your comments. It seems the Hilton Family selection in downtown Seattle is very limited. It is either the HS, HI, or H. All have their pluses, and all have their minuses.

In the final analysis, it seems like we will be staying at the HS. I will let everyone know about our stay in early November.

If anyone has some other ideas, I would appreciate them.

Again, thank you very much.

detouring Oct 14, 2004 12:28 am

I stayed there last Thanksgiving week with a friend and a dog. Crowded breakfast time, as reported above. Picked the property because of the dog. Our room was great.

KathyWdrf Oct 14, 2004 12:51 am

There is extensive commentary on this hotel already posted in other threads.

If you do a search using Seattle and Homewood as your search terms, you will find it.

tommya Oct 14, 2004 10:59 am

Agree with others on the location being a long walk to downtown. I seem to recall a trolley service within a couple of blocks from the hotel that runs to downtown.

wck4 Oct 14, 2004 12:38 pm

It's a walk to the trolley, but you could take it. The trolley doesn't actually run to "downtown", it runs along the waterfront to Pioneer Square, from which you can double back up 1st or 2nd (avoid 3rd in that area!!) to downtown. To reach the trolley from the hotel, cross Denny and walk south along Elliott, then turn west a block to Alaska, and pick up the trolley at one of the stops on Alaska.

Seattle's downtown is roughly bordered by Olive to the North, 6th to the East, 1st to the West and maybe Cherry/Columbia to the South. Pioneer Sq is south of that, mostly along 1st/Occidental. North of downtown is Belltown, and the HS is north/west of that, along the far edge of Lower Queen Anne.

Waterfront Trolley Info

SFO-SJC Flyer Oct 27, 2004 11:24 pm

Homewood in DT Seattle. A Positive Experience

My wife and I spent two nights, Sunday and Monday, at the Homewood in DT Seattle.

The only negative was that the property is slightly worn. Nevertheless, it was clean and presentable, which is more important to us, and, even more important, we had a wonderful stay.

We had a quiet 6th floor suite overlooking the water. The bed was comfortable. We watched the ships and enjoyed a beautiful sunset from our window. The staff was cheerful, accommodating, and helpful. We met some interesting hotel regulars. The walk to the trolley was not that bad.

We will definitely stay there again.

^

ermdjdsj Oct 28, 2004 8:56 am

My wife and I spent two nights, Sunday and Monday, at the Homewood in DT Seattle.

The only negative was that the property is slightly worn. Nevertheless, it was clean and presentable, which is more important to us, and, even more important, we had a wonderful stay.

We had a quiet 6th floor suite overlooking the water. The bed was comfortable. We watched the ships and enjoyed a beautiful sunset from our window. The staff was cheerful, accommodating, and helpful. We met some interesting hotel regulars. The walk to the trolley was not that bad.

We will definitely stay there again.

^

Glad it worked out. Sounds like you may have been in the same suite I had last August at this property.

AA Novice Nov 16, 2007 5:06 pm

Homewood Suites Seattle-Downtown

I have a reservation for this property in September. Anybody stayed here or heard anything about it?

Thanks

TWAL10114Ever Nov 16, 2007 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by AA Novice (Post 8743275)
I have a reservation for this property in September. Anybody stayed here or heard anything about it?

Thanks

I've never stayed there, but often considered it. However after staying in Seattle this past September and seeing where the hotel is in relation to everything else in downtown, I'm glad I didn't. It is quite a hike from there to things like Pike's Market, shopping and the good retaurants. The good news for you is that it looks like a really nice Homewood from the outside, so hopefully it is just as nice on the inside.

smmrfld Nov 16, 2007 6:39 pm

Nice property

Typical Homewood. I've stayed there, and it is actually quite convenient to the sites mentioned in the previous post. Great walk through a nicely re-gentrifying neighborhood on the way to downtown, or along the waterfront. Very close to Space Needle, Hendrix Experience, etc.