Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in India {IND}

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in India {IND}

Old Feb 11, 2019, 4:11 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by hserus
Well it is right downtown but there really isn't as much to see in Bangalore. I would suggest a day or two there and then head off to a hill resort in Coorg, about three hours by car from Bangalore. I can recommend this one as I stayed there over the new year. https://www.tripadvisor.in/Hotel_Rev...Karnataka.html

How much time does it take to get from the airport to Conrad? Luckily my flight lands at 2:20am and after a few days in Bangalore I leave at 3:45am so I imagine there won’t be much traffic.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 4:13 am

Programs: BA bronze, Marriott silver
Originally Posted by NWplatinum
How much time does it take to get from the airport to Conrad? Luckily my flight lands at 2:20am and after a few days in Bangalore I leave at 3:45am so I imagine there won’t be much traffic.
An hour or a bit more. The airport is around 35 km from downtown Bangalore, in the middle of nowhere (well, out on a highway).

And way past midnight is unfortunately when most international flights land in India, whichever ones leave Europe in the morning for example.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 4:17 am

Originally Posted by hserus
An hour or a bit more. The airport is around 35 km from downtown Bangalore, in the middle of nowhere (well, out on a highway).

And way past midnight is unfortunately when most international flights land in India, whichever ones leave Europe in the morning for example.
How much is a taxi cost from the airport? And do locals take American dollars?
Old Feb 11, 2019, 4:23 am

Programs: BA bronze, Marriott silver
How much is a taxi cost from the airport? And do locals take American dollars?
You can get an Uber. https://www.uber.com/en-IN/airports/blr/ .. comes to seven or eight Hundred rupees I think (around 10-11 dollars) for a sedan or hatch. I could be wrong, I live in a city around 5 hours by road from Bangalore (MAA) so I mostly drive down. The cars in the lower categories can get rather old and ratty, so get Uber SUV - which will give you people mover minivans rather than any actual SUV, but at least they'll mostly be in better condition. They'll be a few hundred costlier. Or pay 3-4x that amount and your hotel will be glad to send you anything from a regular Toyota or Honda sedan to a Merc or BMW, depending on what you ask for.

Your hotel will be glad to take your USD at a rather disgusting rate if you carry dollars - just pay them by card and choose USD as the currency of payment rather than INR, the rate works out much better for you that way. Or you can change dollars at one of several foreign exchange centers - there should be one or two at the airport arrivals terminal itself. Change say a hundred bucks into cash just in case - and insist on smaller bills (100 and 500 rupee notes, not the 2000s, making change for those will be painful).

Most if not all places a tourist would go to (and most if not all places I'd go to, for that matter) take Master / Visa just fine. Amex availability might be a bit limited to the larger stores. Diners - don't even ask.

USD isn't legal tender in India, even virtually legal tender like it is in Vietnam so you can't walk into a shop and pay in dollars. Well, some of the bigger tourist traps generally accept dollars and have a rate conversion worked out, but just pay by card, it works just fine.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 4:09 pm

Deciding to stay in Bangalore just because you have Q-suites availability does not seem to be wise. You would be better off in taking a domestic flight to some other interesting city, e.g. Madras, Madurai, Bombay etc. Unfortunately, bad traffic plagues many cities in India but Bangalore & Delhi are two of the worst.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by puchong
Unfortunately, bad traffic plagues many cities in India but Bangalore & Delhi are two of the worst.
correction, bangalore & mumbai are two of the worst, closely followed by delhi....
Old Feb 13, 2019, 2:17 am

Originally Posted by puchong
Deciding to stay in Bangalore just because you have Q-suites availability does not seem to be wise. You would be better off in taking a domestic flight to some other interesting city, e.g. Madras, Madurai, Bombay etc. Unfortunately, bad traffic plagues many cities in India but Bangalore & Delhi are two of the worst.
The only driving I’ll be doing is to/from the airport at 2am. So I’m not too worried about traffic. I’ve never been to India and while it may not be the best city, just being able to check off I’ve been to the country is good enough for me.

Getting back to the Conrad Bengaluru, how good are they about upgrades? How is the executive lounge?
Old Feb 13, 2019, 4:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA EXP

The only driving I’ll be doing is to/from the airport at 2am. So I’m not too worried about traffic. I’ve never been to India and while it may not be the best city, just being able to check off I’ve been to the country is good enough for me.

Getting back to the Conrad Bengaluru, how good are they about upgrades? How is the executive lounge?
Probably the worst in both. Better of staying at the Taj Racecourse property, also you are in India for the first time- forget about upgrades and EL- go out and soak it in- but not in Bangalore- definitely worth looking at Kerela or side trips from Bangalore if you dont want to stray too far.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 3:05 am

Originally Posted by ashkale
Probably the worst in both. Better of staying at the Taj Racecourse property, also you are in India for the first time- forget about upgrades and EL- go out and soak it in- but not in Bangalore- definitely worth looking at Kerela or side trips from Bangalore if you dont want to stray too far.
Sorry that’s just how I roll. Wanting to see and be in another culture is good enough for me. I don’t care what the city is, or how “beautiful” one place can be perceived over another.

Bengaluru also doesn’t seem as hot so that’s another plus. I‘m not exactly what you’d consider your average tourist. I value the comforts and experiences of getting to a destination more so almost than the destination itself. I think a lot of people like that can be found on FT who can say the same thing.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 1:20 pm
Suspended

Exactly the profile I had in mind- Get to the Taj. Hilton will be pathetic in terms of expectations expressed in your statements.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 3:37 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Bengaluru also doesn’t seem as hot so that’s another plus. I‘m not exactly what you’d consider your average tourist. I value the comforts and experiences of getting to a destination more so almost than the destination itself. I think a lot of people like that can be found on FT who can say the same thing.
Being originally from Bangalore I'm definitely biased, but I think it's a fine city and you'll have a good time. Traffic is a nightmare, but it's a very cosmopolitan city that doesn't lack for comfort. If it's your first time in India, and you haven't had good South Indian food before, this is your chance. The best stuff tends to be vegetarian, but it's a different cuisine than the typical north food you'd find at the cookie-cutter Indian takeout place in the west. There's enough in the way of tourist attractions to keep you busy for a few days.

The Conrad's location isn't bad, especially if you plan on going to Indiranagar. But the Racecourse Taj or the JW (for proximity to UB City) will suit you just fine.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 12:42 am

Exactly the profile I had in mind- Get to the Taj. Hilton will be pathetic in terms of expectations expressed in your statements.
The Conrad will be bad? What’s the best Hilton property in bengaluru?
Old Feb 18, 2019, 2:20 am

Programs: QR Platinum, WY Gold, Shangri-la Diamond, Hilton Diamond
The Conrad Bengaluru is very nice in my opinion. Excellent service, lovely pool area and a very solid executive lounge. Exec lounge happy hour offers 4 hot options (including 2 vegetarian), salad bar, cheese board, wines (including a local sparkling wine), beers, spirits and a daily selection of cocktails. Don't quite understand the negativity here!
Old Feb 18, 2019, 6:35 am
Suspended

The quality of food and drink was disturbingly bad- not sure how much experience you have had in Indian hotels but this is sub-par.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by purple1addict
The Conrad Bengaluru is very nice in my opinion. Excellent service, lovely pool area and a very solid executive lounge. Exec lounge happy hour offers 4 hot options (including 2 vegetarian), salad bar, cheese board, wines (including a local sparkling wine), beers, spirits and a daily selection of cocktails. Don't quite understand the negativity here!
The quality of food and drink was disturbingly bad- not sure how much experience you have had in Indian hotels but this is sub-par.
hmmm... well you can’t both be right.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.