Wiki Posts
Search

Carribean/Mexico resort?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2007, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond,Ambassador Club,Delta FF,USAIR FF
Carribean/Mexico resort?

I have read the reviews re: Hilton Barbados and they seem very good. We are looking for a relaxing beach vacation - will also probally dive some. Anyone have any carribean resorts that stand out as a clear choice? We really like to snorkel and dive on vacation. Also have diamond status.
Some in the running Barbados, Curaco,Cancun, Tobago, and Los Cabos.
Currently leaning towards Barbados, but would like others opinions.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 8:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond,Ambassador Club,Delta FF,USAIR FF
Carribean/Mexico resort?

Anyone?
Old Aug 22, 2007, 9:48 am

In terms of Hilton's, I have only been to Barbados, and I don't dive, so I'm not sure how much I can help. I do snorkel, and found Barbados to be only fair for that (not as good as USVI, Cayman Islands, or even Hawaii). The island is very interesting and worth seeing. As you've found in your research, Hilton Barbados is a nice property that treats diamonds well.

Sorry I can't be more help.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 7:21 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
I go to San juan, PR a lot. The nice thing their is none of the hotels are great, but they are good, you can stay a night or two all over the island. Their are several nice places to Dive or snorkel and you are not locked in to just one place. Just my 2 cents.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 10:23 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
For snorkeling or diving, the Caribbean has fewer fish species and coral diversity than the Pacific (the center of species diversity is Indonesia and surrounding area it drops off the farther you get, basically.) I think if you search for Hilton and scuba or diving, you may find some threads (and spelling counts - try "Caribbean.")

Time of year also counts - hurricane season, the Caribbean could be iffy in any case.
Old Aug 23, 2007, 7:24 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Delta Platinum AA Platinum
Barbados is all I can offer and I have heard good things about Cabo.
Old Aug 23, 2007, 9:06 am

Programs: AA, HH Diamond
Loved the Barbados Hilton, last Xmas- Treat Diamonds wonderfully. Did an easy wreck dive with my kids and had a blast!

Hilton Cancun- Was there pre-hurricane (Wilma?) treated diamonds great, also. Corral was a big disappointment.

I like the Caribe Hilton, treated us well a few years ago. Did the bioluminessent kayak trip, and was one of the greatest things we have ever done. The Embassy Dorado is OK, but crowed and small beach.

I have not been to the Curacao Hilton or Tobago Hilton, but enjoyed both Islands. It has been about 20 yrs since Tobago, but loved Curacao, just a few years ago.

Have not heard great things about Bahamas Hilton or Jamaica.

Loved the Jalousie (St. Lucia), but no longer a Hilton.
Old Aug 24, 2007, 3:06 pm

The Hilton Cancun is a nice resort but there is no decent snorkeling/diving around Cancun. For snorkeling, you can take take a boat tour from Cancun over to Isla Contoy. Isla Contoy retricts the number of daily visitors since the island is a protected habitat. It's a beautiful place and worth a visit if you have the time. You can also take a ferry over to Isla Mujeres or you can drive south down Hwy. 307 along the Yucatan coast and spend the day snorkeling at Akumal, Soliman Bay or even further down to Tulum (the view from the ruins overlooking the Caribbean is outstanding). For diving, head south and take the ferry over to Cozumel and spend the day there. There are quite a number of dive operators in Cozumel and they would be happy to take you out to the reefs for a day of diving.
Old Aug 25, 2007, 2:27 pm

Programs: AA MM; UA-S; HH-D; Marriott-LTP
I've done both the Caribe Hilton and the Cabo Hilton. Loved the infinity pool in Cabo and, as I recall, both had swim up bars.

We were greeted with complimentary margaritas and received a nice room with a HUGE balcony over looking the pool in Cabo. The Caribe Hilton was nice but when I was there, the executive lounge/tower was under construction.

Where ever you chose, do have fun!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.