Hilton Helsinki Airport {FIN}

Old May 17, 2005, 7:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hhonors (Diamond); HGVC (Elite); Ex/Comp'd - Priority Club (Platinum); UA (Gold); KLM (Gold);
Arrow Hilton Helsinki Airport {FIN}

Hilton to erect EUR 40 mln hotel close to Finland's biggest airport

Hilton International has signed an agreement with Lentoasemakiinteistöt Oyj, a subsidiary of the Finnish Civil Aviation Administration, on a new hotel close to Helsinki-Vantaa airport, the country's chief hub, said a statement by Scandic Hotels, which operates Hilton hotels in Finland.

The project, worth 40 million euros, is to be complete by the autumn of 2007.

There are currently two Hilton hotels in Finland, both in Helsinki.

Old Aug 14, 2007, 8:04 am

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
Arrow Hilton Helsinki Airport {FIN}

The brand new Hilton at HEL opened yesterday. Exec lounge on fifth (top) floor, covered walkway to the terminal. Sauna and gym (gym still not quite ready) in basement.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 10:25 pm

Programs: AAdv GLD(MM), QF LTS, UA MP_nada, HH Gld, SPG, GoldenCircle Jade
I left HEL the week it opened. Is the Scandic still open?
Old Aug 15, 2007, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by alect
Is the Scandic still open?
Yes, the "bunker" remains open. It has a certain legacy as well, since I think they still offer rooms also airside.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 9:00 pm

Programs: AAdv GLD(MM), QF LTS, UA MP_nada, HH Gld, SPG, GoldenCircle Jade
Originally Posted by tsastor
Yes, the "bunker" remains open. It has a certain legacy as well, since I think they still offer rooms also airside.
Bunker is right. I stayed once - must say it was a unique experience
Old Oct 12, 2007, 8:57 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest, BT Exec
The bunker is faster and easier to reach. To get to this Hilton from the taxi yard of Terminal 2, turn to right, walk a couple hundreds of yards, turn left, be uncertain of where you would actually find the hotel, walk a further 50 yards, take an outdoors lift one level up, walk through a glass corridor with automatic doors, walk yet 100 yards and there you are. Adding a few Hilton logos with direction arrows would not harm. Finding back to the terminals can be equally annoying, which I did not actually try but took off with a cab from the front door.

The hotel itself resembles Scandics except for the service concept. It sounds odd to hear similar type of compliments and small talk in Finnish that you usually hear when checking into a Hilton, say e.g., in London. The exec floor room I sampled was on the fifth floor at the corner facing the non-Schengen terminal and runways. The room was well sound proofed, had a 36 inch Sony LCD, a small private sauna, bath tub, and shower cabin. Lots of sliding glass doors, brick like but warm floors, all the standard Hilton gadgets, and a massive, comfortable bed. The exec lounge was utterly uncongested and it was a pleasure to have the breakfast with no hassle (I was the only customer there at 7.30 AM). With a corporate rate for 200€ per night this is a bargain and regular room could have been obtained for only 130€.

Except for the walking distance from the airport I was very satisfied with the overall experience.
Old Oct 12, 2007, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by TTL
Finding back to the terminals can be equally annoying, which I did not actually try but took off with a cab from the front door.
Wow, the taxi driver must have been happy. The last time I did a brisk walk all the way to the domestic terminal and it took all of ten minutes.
Originally Posted by TTL
The hotel itself resembles Scandics except for the service concept. .
Yeah, kind of, if you are talking about the top Scandics, but I would say there are more design elements than even in a top Scandic.
Originally Posted by TTL
The exec floor room I sampled was on the fifth floor at the corner facing the non-Schengen terminal and runways. The room was well sound proofed, had a 36 inch Sony LCD, a small private sauna, bath tub, and shower cabin.
That room must have the best view of the apron. Sounds like a nice room, too. I've stayed in two different exec rooms (and one regular room) and none had a sauna.
Originally Posted by TTL
The exec lounge was utterly uncongested and it was a pleasure to have the breakfast with no hassle (I was the only customer there at 7.30 AM).
I had the same experience the time I actually had the possibility to have breakfast there as it starts at 7 am in the lounge (6 am downstairs). Some staff mentioned that they are planning to have something small available before 6 am in the future as a lot of customers check out very early.
Old Oct 13, 2007, 12:03 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest, BT Exec
Originally Posted by tsastor
Wow, the taxi driver must have been happy.
OT: He was. He had to drive 60 miles to Haemeenlinna and another cab driver next day was equally happy taking me back to Helsinki-Vantaa domestic terminal. That walk could have easily taken 3 to 4 days
Old Oct 13, 2007, 2:44 am

Originally Posted by TTL
OT: He was. He had to drive 60 miles to Haemeenlinna and another cab driver next day was equally happy taking me back to Helsinki-Vantaa domestic terminal. That walk could have easily taken 3 to 4 days
Ok, in that case he must have been very happy then.
Old Dec 22, 2007, 1:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SK EBG
Hilton Helsinki-Vantaa Airport Trip Reports and Reviews

if you are interested in sauna in your room then opt for this hotel in the deluxe category. I booked into this hotel a while ago and was upgraded thanks to my Diamond card to a deluxe room. Although the windows did not open (they usually don't at airport hotels) the small bathroom had a finnish sauna for 1-2 pax. Nice touch and well worth the €142 I paid.
Old Aug 24, 2008, 7:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Plat MM
Is this hotel no longer in the Hilton family? It doesn't show up in a search on Hilton.com - only the Strand property and the one even further from the airport.
Old Aug 24, 2008, 8:42 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by yyzflyer
Is this hotel no longer in the Hilton family? It doesn't show up in a search on Hilton.com - only the Strand property and the one even further from the airport.
Oh, it's still in there: http://www1.hilton.com/en_US/hi/hote...rport/index.do

But if you were referring to the Kalastajatorppa, it should actually be closer to the airport in drivining time compared to the Strand. About 30 minutes from the terminal as there is no city traffic on this route.

My favourite of the three Hiltons is still the Kalastajatorppa by far.
Old Aug 25, 2008, 3:20 am

Originally Posted by mosburger
My favourite of the three Hiltons is still the Kalastajatorppa by far.
Same here. Been staying there for years. First it was my favorite Arctia hotel in Finland, then my favorite Scandic and now my favorite Hilton.
Old Aug 25, 2008, 9:54 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Plat MM
Thanks for the link and tips. For some reason the hotel doesn't show up in a Hilton web page search using Helsinki or HEL airport.
Old Aug 26, 2008, 10:09 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I Googled "Hilton Helsinki Vantaa" and the first link up was this, as well as a Google map of the location.

Hilton Helsinki-Vantaa Airport hotel
Lentajankuja 1, Vantaa, Finland 1530
Tel: 358-9-73220 Fax: 358-9-732- 22211
e-mail: [email protected]

I have no idea of the directions, but it says:

"Only a 3 minute walk from the airport, the contemporary Hilton Helsinki Vantaa Airport hotel can be reached directly from the terminal via a covered walkway." I'm sure it's longer via Haemeenlinna.

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 26, 2008 at 10:14 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.