Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Reykjavik Nordica {ISL}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2018, 10:20 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by mphall
If cost is no obstacle for you, then I would go with regular room. Food is so expensive that a kids fish and chips at the museum was $25. Pizza was $40. The executive floor at least gives you something. I would never go back to Iceland but if someone paid me I would go for three nights, see the northern lights and get the heck out of there. Dismal downtown filled with graffiti and marginal musuems. We went for the arts festival but nothing could be found for the 6 days we were there. It's trendy right now. Kind of like Prague was a few years ago. Iceland was my least favorite of anywhere I have ever been. Cheap to get there but expensive to do anything else. Alaska, Canada and any US national park has Iceland beat. In my opinion.
Wow!

Surely travelers who frequent FT know in advance how much the cost of food/activities would be in a given country/city? Iceland was worth every penny because it was so spectacular.
Andriyko likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 11:09 am

How is this property when it comes to early check in? Arriving into KEF early morning, would they let me check in if a room is available? I'd hate to have to wait until 2pm or even 12pm to check in and don't want to have to pay for another night.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 9:14 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
I have 4 nights in Iceland June 19-23. I used my free night cert for Canopy at June 22, and for now have 1 night at the Radisson 1919 for June 19 and 2 nights at Canopy June 20 and 21 nights. Should I do 3 nights at Hilton Nordica since we will be driving around Iceland those 3 days (save 20k points)? Or maybe just the first night at Nordica (or even Radisson Saga) since we fly in at 310 PM that day and will go to Blue Lagoon after that.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 5:57 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Not a lot of traffic on this thread!

Any recent updates? Only 2 posts in all of 2019 and they all had questions.

I too have a question:
Does Hilton Gold receive comp breakfast in lounge or resto?
TIA.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Does the hotel still give free 15 minute massages in the spa to elites and free passes to public transportation? They used to offer both.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 12:12 pm

Programs: NH Dia/SFlyer, JL Crystal/JGC, MB Plat, WoHyatt Glob, IHG Dia Amb, HHonors Dia
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Does the hotel still give free 15 minute massages in the spa to elites and free passes to public transportation? They used to offer both.
They still gave the free massages as of May. No idea about transportation passes.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 3:03 am

Programs: DL-Diamond; UA-Silver (moan); Hilton-DIA; Marriott-PPE; IHG-Plat; NC-Exec Elite
I am here now as a Diamond on a paid stay and was not offered either.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mdaecher
I am here now as a Diamond on a paid stay and was not offered either.
I wonder if it is something we have to ask for now?
Old Jul 8, 2019, 11:14 am

Programs: NH Dia/SFlyer, JL Crystal/JGC, MB Plat, WoHyatt Glob, IHG Dia Amb, HHonors Dia
I wonder if it is something we have to ask for now?
Describing it precisely, there is no free massage for Diamonds. Diamonds get free entry to the hotel spa, which is chargeable for other guests. The spa experience includes Saunas, indoor and outdoor whirlpools etc. When sitting in the small indoor whirlpool you’ll be asked by a masseuse if you want to receive a short shoulder and neck massage for free. This is offered to all guests regardless of status. ... at least this is how I experienced it mid of May.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 5:15 pm

Recently booked a 2 night stay here with points for next year in April, but upon submission, I did not get a confirmation email, and also got a popup (i booked thru the app) which said something like "You may need your bank to verify this."

Anyone have any idea what is going on?
Old Oct 7, 2019, 6:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Amb Elite & LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by shonanroger

They still gave the free massages as of May. No idea about transportation passes.
I was there a year ago and the free transportation pass had been long gone by then. The bus stop is right in front of the hotel and the bus company has quite a good app, which you really need to use as they buses offer no change. They'll take your cash but no change will be given.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 12:47 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by deac83
I was there a year ago and the free transportation pass had been long gone by then. The bus stop is right in front of the hotel and the bus company has quite a good app, which you really need to use as they buses offer no change. They'll take your cash but no change will be given.
Thanks for reminding me not to sell all my 10-kronur coins.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 11:50 am

My wife and I were there recently, and I figured I'd provide some brief updates/notes about my stay:

* I have Diamond Hilton Honors status.
* We were very happy with the stay, and would likely pick it again if we return to Iceland.
* I booked a regular queen room. We were upgraded to an executive queen plus. (Based on reading the descriptions, I think the only difference between the regular and plus rooms is the plus rooms face the water/mountains, but I'm not certain of that.) Room was neat, clean, and nothing appeared worn/scuffed/etc..
* Officially check-in is 2PM, but we had no problem checking in at ~10AM. The check-in agent event explicitly suggested we go have breakfast in the lounge. They had signs indicating there's normally a charge for early check-in, but that wasn't charged or even mentioned for us (presumably due to Diamond status).
* The lounge is open 6-21. Most of the day they have some minimal snacks available (mixed nuts, small cookies, etc.) along with fridges with soda, juice, local beer, and skyr (Icelandic yogurt). In the morning they have breakfast. In the evening (17-19) they have a small selection of alcohol (1 each white/red wine, Gordon's gin, Smirnoff vodka, Bicardi rum, and Johnny Walker Red whisky), a soup (different both nights we were there), small sandwiches, and some sort of hot appetizer (we saw spring rolls and samosas). There was a good coffee machine that also made hot chocolate.
* As mentioned above we had Breakfast in the lounge the first morning. The rest of the week we had breakfast in the restaurant. The restaurant has a much wider selection, so if you have the choice I'd pick the restaurant over the lounge. (See my post in the gold/diamond breakfast thread for more details.)
* One evening we ate Dinner in the hotel restaurant. My wife had a lamb dish that she thought was very good. I wanted something lighter, so I went with a chicken Cesar salad that I enjoyed. Pricing seemed in-line with what we saw elsewhere around town for a nice restaurant.
* The last morning my wife visited the spa. We got free access to the saunas/hot tubs/etc. as a Diamond member. (I don't know if that's only given to Diamond or Gold also gets it.) There is a public rate along with a discounted rate for guests. As mentioned above, my wife got a brief (~10 min) head/neck massage while sitting in the hot tubs. (A masseuse came over and offered once she got in.) Overall she enjoyed it.
* Neither of us used the gym, but my wife saw it while in the spa. She says it looked pretty good and had a lot of options. There were 3-4 people there around 9 am and it looked like there was a class going on in the studio .
* We asked for a 2PM late check-out and were given it without problem.
* There is a good size grocery store (Netto) a couple minute walk around the corner. It's small by American standards, but seemed typical (and typically priced) for Iceland based on others we drove by.
* The room had a small fridge that we stored some items in. There was no minibar or microwave.
* There were standard Hilton/Doubletree Crabtree & Evelyn toiletries in mini bottles along with a large wall mounted bottle of soap/shampoo/body wash in the shower/next to the sink.
* We picked this hotel for a few reasons over the Canopy/Curio:
** Price - This hotel was a bit cheaper than either the Canopy or Curio
** Lounge - There were a couple days we had large lunches while we were out, and we were happy to have a small dinner in the lounge.
** Parking/Location - We planned to spend most of our visit elsewhere in Iceland, so we were planning to rent a car. The Hilton didn't charge for parking (Canopy and Curio both do), and was in a location that was very convenient to access the ring road. (It was 3-5 minutes depending on lights to access the major road and another 5-10 to get to the ring road.) It was also convenient to drive to downtown Reykjavik (about 10 minutes).
englisha and cerberusbites like this.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by jbond00747
My wife and I were there recently, and I figured I'd provide some brief updates/notes about my stay:
** Parking/Location - We planned to spend most of our visit elsewhere in Iceland, so we were planning to rent a car. The Hilton didn't charge for parking (Canopy and Curio both do)
I didn't stay at the Hilton, but at both of the other two when in Iceland in September. Technically, neither of the other two charge for parking. But they don't have parking. You either street park (Which as I remember, is free overnight, I forgot the hours....) or park in a nearby garage not associated with them. From the three nights, I only ended up paying for parking for one of them. If I go back, I would likely try the nordica instead.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 6:48 pm

Latest on the property?

Hi all,

Any recent intel on this property? Mrs. ShagU and I will be staying there next month. Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.