Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Goodbye Hilton Honors Diamond VIP Status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Goodbye Hilton Honors Diamond VIP Status

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2008, 11:57 am

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
You should do the seven stays if it's not too much of a hassle.
Old May 2, 2008, 8:04 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Exec Elite, Delta
Originally Posted by iris30
Yeah I dropped to Gold today. Got the 7 stay/15 night fast track offer.

If I have 2 rooms on the same night at the same hotel, would I get credit for 2 nights (and 1 stay)? I haven't had this scenario before and perused through the T&C today on Hilton but wasn't sure if I actually found the answer.
How about this scenario, Dropped to Gold on May 1, Was staying at the MKE Doubletree April 28-May 1

- Do I get credit for Diamond Bouns Points or Gold ?
- Do I get the stay/night credit for the fast track offer ?

I managed to book rooms using the Diamond 'force' on May first at the hotel for some 'blackout days' in MKE (Summerfest and the Harley 105th Anniv). But I think that's more because the GM and Sales Manager recognize me as often as I've stayed there this year so far.
Old May 10, 2008, 12:52 pm

Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, DL DM since inception, 3+ MM, HH Gold, SPG-Gold
Programs: DL, UA, AA, HH, SPG, HH, Hertz, Avis
Goodbye Diamond Status - Goodbye Hilton?

My travel pattern is pretty consistent from year to year: ~40 nights away, 30 separate stays. 2/3 I can choose the hotel, 1/3 I have no choice but to go where I am told (most often a non-Hilton). For many years I was a HH-G and then one year, 3 years or so ago, I made 26 Hilton Family stays and became HH-D. In the next 2 years I went out of my way to stay at Hilton Family Hotels to maintain that status, but usually could not make it up-above 22-24 stays/y. I was pleased to keep my HH-D status despite my "deficit" - that is, until 5/1/08 this year where I unceremoniously and without notification was dropped down to HH-G. Fine, rules-are-rules, I have no reason to complain - but then, I really have no reason to stay at Hiltons either anymore!!.

My Platinum status at Delta and AE (the "real card") makes me an automatic Gold member of Hyatt, Starwood and ....Hilton! So I will never drop down below Gold in any of these. Add to that, that when staying at Hilton Garden Inn's (which I happen to like for a quick stay-over), I never felt I got any bennies over Gold. I have only received a room upgrade as a Diamond twice in 2 years at domestic Hiltons (but always have gotten upgraded at out of country Hiltons) - and sadly to say, it is now the exception that I am even recognized as a Diamond when I check in. My take: the difference in bennies between Gold and Diamonds if traveling domestically and especially if to a Hilton Family Hotel are very difficult for me to see. Sure, you get 1.5 x points instead of 1.25 (or something like that), but for me that is definitely no biggie as I haven't used an award yet (and currently have 500K). And I never had any use for the Diamond line as I have been able to do all my business on-line and never run into problems with availability.

Even though I understand that HH according to the rules have all the rights in the world to downgrade my status, I think it may have been in their interest to keep winking at my 4-6 stay deficits per year. I get very little extra as a Diamond (except when out of country where the value really comes in - but then you can pay your way to the executive floors in those facilities without status) - and in return I put in at least 15 or so nights at Hiltons that it would have been as or more convenient for me to put elsewhere.

So in return for my (deserved) downgrade, I immediately went in and canceled 5 booked stays where it would be more convenient for me to stay at another facility. For example, I am going to LAX on 5/13/08 for a meeting at the Westin and I had booked a stay at the Hilton figuring I would commute from there to the Westin. Now, I am booked at the Westin - as a Gold member (rarely having stayed there in the past).
And isn't that what the status system is all about: making it worth while for the customer to go out of his/hers way to go to your facility. Maybe this is too small peanuts for Hilton to worry about - that's fine - no harm - we will then each go our separate ways and live happily forever after!!

My advice for HH: if you want to be sticklers about the status rules: have something tangible that makes for a notable difference between Gold and Diamond, including your Garden Inns and Hamptons, if not, and especially with Gold status being handed out like candy by all the hotel chains, there is very little incentive for a person like me to go out of my way to stay with one over the other.

Just MHO!
Old May 10, 2008, 1:16 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
It sounds like you don't feel there's a difference between Gold and Diamond, yet now you're a Gold instead of a Diamond you're going to change your purchasing behaviour? I'm being somewhat over-analytical I appreciate, but it still doesn't make sense to me!

I'm expecting to make Diamond for the first time at the end of my current stay (writing this from a Hilton Exec Lounge overlooking a rather lovely sunset) and I do agree about the limits of the programme - I don't expect any benefits from Diamond over Gold (and I still haven't been upgraded once..), but no programme is perfect.

Looking at each of these forums you can see people complaining about the problems with the programme. SPG sounds like overall the best bet in the US, but for us Europeans it's not really a serious option.
Old May 10, 2008, 1:24 pm

8 Years Diamond now Gold

I'm in the same boat , 8 consecutive years as a Diamond. My travel pattern changed in the last 6 months and they dropped me to gold. The funny thing is that I see no difference in the treatment btw. Gold & Diamond.

I've started travelling again and switched over to SPG.
Old May 10, 2008, 1:26 pm

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
IME, Hilton doesn't do a lot of "winking" as you put it. You sure you weren't maintaining Diamond on base points (100K)?

Originally Posted by Flying_Duck
Even though I understand that HH according to the rules have all the rights in the world to downgrade my status, I think it may have been in their interest to keep winking at my 4-6 stay deficits per year.
Old May 10, 2008, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
SPG is no different to Hilton in Europe except for the UK. (Plenty of sh!tty Hiltons there...).

If the OP thinks dropping from Diamond to Gold is reason enough to leave Hilton, then surely we will miss him !
IMHO HH Gold is the best mid-level tier around, definately better than SPG Gold or Hyatt Gold (through Amex, which is actually base level, as the next steps up are Plat and then Diamond!)
Old May 10, 2008, 1:42 pm

Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, DL DM since inception, 3+ MM, HH Gold, SPG-Gold
Programs: DL, UA, AA, HH, SPG, HH, Hertz, Avis
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
It sounds like you don't feel there's a difference between Gold and Diamond, yet now you're a Gold instead of a Diamond you're going to change your purchasing behaviour? I'm being somewhat over-analytical I appreciate, but it still doesn't make sense to me!
My rationale for trying to hang on to Diamond is that the 3-5 times a year I am out-of-country, booking at a Hilton always brought me great bennies. Fow example, I typically stay over one night at the airport when staying at CPH and the Hilton there is great. For a base-rate I have always been upgraded to the executive floor or one of the 4 executive rooms on each floors with access to the lounge with an unbelieavble offering of afternoon-evening snacks and drinks and a full hot breakfast in the morning. The difference between what I spend (typically under $300/n) and what I got (typically over $5-600/n) is something you can take to the bank.

I am not saying that I will not stay at Hilton anymore as I do like to stay at the Hilton Garden Inns in cities like Boise, ID, Idaho Falls, ID and St. George, UT where the pickings of good business hotels are slim, I am just saying I am no longer going to go out of my way to do so as I did in the past as even that is unlikely to get me above the "free-bee" Gold status. However, if Hilton let me stay Diamond for my 20-24 stays/y that I could put in on top of my free Gold status I would have gone out of my way mostly to keep my out-of-country bennies.
Old May 10, 2008, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
I am pretty certain that you either qualified on nights or base points instead of stays. HH are not really know to let you keep DIA status if you do not meet the 28 stay / 60 nights / 100k base points criteria.
Old May 10, 2008, 2:39 pm

Programs: SPG, HH, AA, UA, BD, Hyatt, TYP
I've never NOT been upgraded as HH-gold over the past two years. Just because I dropped from diamond to gold wouldn't stop me from staying at HH properties. On the other hand, as a SPG Gold, I have never been upgraded. SPG doesn't seem to appreciate their gold members. I am always treated like royalty at HH properties.

Halothane
Old May 10, 2008, 5:39 pm

Programs: HH diamond
I've been treated well as Gold overseas. But as Diamond, I have been treated very well. US, not as much, as both Gold and Diamond. (Why do the US Hilton properties - not the lower end of the Family - seem to be inferior in their treatment of status members c/w overseas?)

I primarily use Hiltons overseas and their nice treatment will keep me a customer.
Old May 10, 2008, 7:40 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

I am sorry to hear about your downgrade to Gold Flying Duck (great handle )
Sometimes the HH folks can make some rare exceptions to upgrade a member and let them fast track back to Diamond
It never hurts to ask and ask again. I know that first hand.
Qualifications can be tough to achieve in the program though rightfully so.
Rewards are rich for Diamonds typically with no strings or very few.
And there is a considerable cost attached to that for redemption especially in sold out hotels.Nothing to quack about there.Great benefit

IMO it is close or tied to the best program out there
Hotels will vary depending on where you travel and where you stay and to what recognition one will receive.
However I don't stay at Hilton brands only for an upgrade though at times I certainly do. There is not much to upgrade to at a Garden Inn. A little living room before the bedroom? Not to exciting to me. I take the My Way points
A great HH option ^

I stay at Hilton and earn by qualifying because for Diamonds no other hotel company in the world offers me better award redemption at the advertised rates without added point premiums.
And with thousands of properties at a wide variety of price points to choose from usually I have great choices for award or revenue as well as receiving stay credit on point awards which I find to be an exceptional brilliant benefit
And some of the hotels have put me in presidential suites.

But the number one reason I stay is trust. Something that has driven me away from some other programs
If a stay is failed corporate at Hilton will typically replace it and keep you satisfied.

When a stay fails at the Westin LAX it’s a crap shoot if anyone in and out of Starwood will care other then write up report.
Want some proof do a search and read in the SPG forum. Now I am not beating up on SPG I still maintain Platinum status and the program continues to bring me good value with a number of the hotels.Though I am more careful where I stay with them.

I am in Hilton’s court for today and while that could change in the morning its what is right about the program today that keeps me coming back.
Consider it amongst the best of the crop out there and I have left it a few times only to come back and find it stronger even if the reservation desk can be inferior to SPG at times.
Have had my serious bumps on the road with them like any program/hotel chain
However Hilton is a hotel company that stands behind what it sells
Win or lose on a stay you have solid brand and guest assurance if something fails
I remain a huge supporter of the program and I think it may just be the next Freddie winner over time if everything remains on track
My two cents here.

I hope to see you back.Those at Hilton I do know do value your loyalty
Even if the downgrade was not correctly expressed to you in a personal manner.
I am sure they browse through here or their colleagues and only hope they might take note to improve the communication to elite members

Have been in your shoes and know all too well what it means to not be more appreciated for my reasonable demonstrated loyalty.These programs have been good to me. Though on a given day with any of them its a love hate relationship
Cheers

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; May 11, 2008 at 11:46 am
Old May 10, 2008, 8:51 pm

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
I maintain Diamond so I can have lounge access at the Conrad Singapore. They don't give golds lounge access there usually.

If I dropped to gold, I could always pay about $75 more per night to have lounge access. I probably wouldn't do it. But I already pay thousands for extra stays to maintain Diamond. Doesn't make a lot of sense. I suppose I like having the Diamond card. It makes me feel special. Part of an elite group with 100k others! I think I need therapy.
Old May 10, 2008, 10:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
I have not noticed an appreciable difference between Gold and Diamond either. I like being Diamond, but I don't really think I am getting that much more for my trouble.
Old May 11, 2008, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by halothane
I am always treated like royalty at HH properties.
Can't quite agree to that extent, but Hilton obviously makes a consciences decision to have a decent mid-tier level ... and if it didn't pay off, they wouldn't do it. Would I stay at Hiltons if they devaluated this level ... no chance! To say there is no difference between Gold and Diamond is certainly not true, but there are days where both get UGed to exec. floor. It's like airline upgrades, most of the time the pax next to me is a gold, but man do I enjoy the full flights where I only make it up front because I am a PE.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.