Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Goodbye Hilton Honors Diamond VIP Status

Goodbye Hilton Honors Diamond VIP Status

Old Apr 30, 2007, 6:30 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
SPG to Hilton is not an apples to apples thing. SPG has better properties and competes more with Hyatt. Yes service is better, but their average rates are higher, More 4 & 5 star properties. The reason I spend 150 nights a year with hilton, versus 70 with SPG is because hiltons are everywhere. Hilton has 2500 or so hotels. I recently stayed at the new HGI Monroe, LA I do not think SPG has anything with in 200 miles.
Old May 1, 2007, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/114)

Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
Originally Posted by seanthepilot
Expecting the drop from Diamond to Silver in a few days.

Although I've stayed enough to keep gold, my 40 nights in the last 5 months have not credited properly (showing 34 nights). Back up to gold with a few more stays booked in May.

Initially qualified Diamond on nights after years of Gold, the difference wasn't enough.

Recent 'comp'ed to Starwood Platinum last fall blew me away. Suite upgrades aside, the treatment for Platinum is a world of difference from Hilton's (Conrad's being the exception).

Yes, I got Exec Floor on every Asia stay, but for the most part, Diamond didn't impress me. Diamond did make the difference recently in Bali and Bangkok, but not enough to warrant an extra 25 nights/17 stays.

So, Hilton. Thanks for Diamond... fun while it lasted.

Wife got a fast track from Silver back to Gold for 4 stays by 7/31 and someone reported same for Diamond who had been busted to Gold with 7 stays neeeded. I would call and see if you can get similar if you are not offered it.
This should be one reason not to honor HiltonHHonors any longer. If they are inflating status like this, perks and service will certainly go down!
Old May 1, 2007, 6:15 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat. WOH Glob. SQ Gold
Another ex-diamond here. With my new gold card I was given a "fast track" back to Diamond - with seven stays needed before the end of July.
Old May 1, 2007, 6:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/114)

This should be one reason not to honor HiltonHHonors any longer. If they are inflating status like this, perks and service will certainly go down!

Hate to break this one to you colleague, but this routinely has been going on for more than 1/2 a decade, probably much longer. Nothing new.
Old May 1, 2007, 8:33 am

Programs: Hhonors (Diamond); HGVC (Elite); Ex/Comp'd - Priority Club (Platinum); UA (Gold); KLM (Gold);

Originally Posted by badjuju
This makes me nervous since I'm working on diamond status right now.
One Diamond drops back, another takes his place ... there's always someone to take your place. Hilton know that
Old May 1, 2007, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold

Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer

Hate to break this one to you colleague, but this routinely has been going on for more than 1/2 a decade, probably much longer. Nothing new.
I agree, I started as a Diamond in 1999 and during those times it was worth a lot. The dilution of perks until 2004 was not really painful in Europe, but when it started with refuses lounge access I shifted quite a lot of my business to Starwood; Platinum with Starwood is still a huge benefit here in Europe.
Old May 2, 2007, 5:15 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Originally Posted by stc
It sounds like if you really cared you would have gotten the stays to credit properly. Call HH and ask for the phone number to fax your receipts to.
I wish it was as easy as that.

My last few months, I've had nothing but headaches from HHonors. My account was closed in December. Only through Hhonors Singapore desk fighting for me was I able to re-open my account (at a cost of 30,000 points, I may add).

If/when my stays post, they are often inacurate. I find phoning the hotel myself easier than scanning and faxing reciepts... usually faster too.

None of my airline miles have posted, although my hhonors activity page states 5000 or more points awarded. I'll call to get that sorted out sometime soon.

As for the Hotels and the benefits, they provide exactly what they say. I don't argue that. Not alot more than gold, which I'll have back by mid-month.

I'm not feeling too sad about dropping down. I'm not feeling left out. Like I said before, it was fun while it lasted.

until next time,
see you at StarWood
Old May 2, 2007, 10:52 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Although I've stayed enough to keep gold, my 40 nights in the last 5 months have not credited properly (showing 34 nights). Back up to gold with a few more stays booked in May.

Initially qualified Diamond on nights after years of Gold, the difference wasn't enough.

Recent 'comp'ed to Starwood Platinum last fall blew me away. Suite upgrades aside, the treatment for Platinum is a world of difference from Hilton's (Conrad's being the exception).

Yes, I got Exec Floor on every Asia stay, but for the most part, Diamond didn't impress me. Diamond did make the difference recently in Bali and Bangkok, but not enough to warrant an extra 25 nights/17 stays.

I have been a member of both programs for many years and both have failed me and satisfied me many times. If suites are your passion SPG may be your best choice. That said I remain a huge fan of HH and SPG for many different reasons
IMO HH has exceptional program value with or without a promotion. And when problems happen at hotels Hilton guest assistance whips Starwood corporate services to shame who typically do nothing.

Starwoods Platinum customer service line is typically better then the Hilton H Diamond Desk on average
I prefer the SPG program to earn miles in and HH to redeem and stay in their hotels on revenue.
After all is said and done it really depends where you travel in any program for your best results. For luxury travel I choose frequently InterContinental as a Royal Ambassador. The best of all with a solid earning program .However the Hilton family of hotels remains one of my top choices of all time. Where today may I ask can you take a stay on points receive breakfast and or points your choice and stay credit?Certainly not at any Starwood hotel

HH is a legend in my book sorry to see it isn't working for you presently.
But you may or may not find the grass all that much greener after time spent in SPG hotels. It really depends what’s important to you.
Every program drops the ball with postings..........you will be requesting amenity points or dining credit at SPG plenty so there is no escaping mishaps
its part of the job being in these programs !
I find program fatigue sets in after time and a change may be just what you need to see if your decision was a wise one
Cheers
Old May 2, 2007, 4:18 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
Originally Posted by troyintn
SPG to Hilton is not an apples to apples thing. SPG has better properties and competes more with Hyatt. Yes service is better, but their average rates are higher, More 4 & 5 star properties. The reason I spend 150 nights a year with hilton, versus 70 with SPG is because hiltons are everywhere. Hilton has 2500 or so hotels. I recently stayed at the new HGI Monroe, LA I do not think SPG has anything with in 200 miles.
I agree...as much as I'd like to try *wood hotels, there's never one close by (at least where I've been working lately) and their properties are generally more expensive.

Personally, I spend very little time in the hotel when I'm on the road or even when I'm on vacation, so upgrades don't mean a whole lot to me. All I want is a program that can easily earn me free nights, and with the double dipping I think HH does that quite nicely.
Old May 2, 2007, 5:02 pm

Programs: UA1K, HH Diamond, SPG Plat
I'm down to Hhonors gold also. The combination of Hhonros Gold and *wood platinum is much more useful than Hhonors Diamond and *wood Gold. I do not have enough stays to be top tier on both.
Old May 2, 2007, 5:57 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, HHonor Diamond, Hyatt PLAT, Marriott PLat, UA 1K, AA EXP, DL PLAT, BMI Gold, Co PLAT
Request missing credit from Starwood is even harder, you have to fax bill to their canadian number

Request missing credit from Hilton is much easier, just call 1800HHONORS, press 5, then press 5 again, (for non diamond), tell them you missed the points, they are able to locate the electronic bill from their side, no fax needed!

I wish it was as easy as that.

My last few months, I've had nothing but headaches from HHonors. My account was closed in December. Only through Hhonors Singapore desk fighting for me was I able to re-open my account (at a cost of 30,000 points, I may add).

If/when my stays post, they are often inacurate. I find phoning the hotel myself easier than scanning and faxing reciepts... usually faster too.

None of my airline miles have posted, although my hhonors activity page states 5000 or more points awarded. I'll call to get that sorted out sometime soon.

As for the Hotels and the benefits, they provide exactly what they say. I don't argue that. Not alot more than gold, which I'll have back by mid-month.

I'm not feeling too sad about dropping down. I'm not feeling left out. Like I said before, it was fun while it lasted.

until next time,
see you at StarWood
Old May 4, 2007, 1:34 am

Originally Posted by yyliu88
Request missing credit from Starwood is even harder, you have to fax bill to their canadian number

Request missing credit from Hilton is much easier, just call 1800HHONORS, press 5, then press 5 again, (for non diamond), tell them you missed the points, they are able to locate the electronic bill from their side, no fax needed!
Or send an email to [email protected] (or [email protected]) and it happens automagically.
Old May 4, 2007, 7:40 am
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by yyliu88

Actually as SPG Platinum, I've found you get a couple of "freebies" a year. If you call SPG Platinum Conceriage, they seem to just take you word for it if the stay is a couple of hundred dollars if they can find the reservation.
Old May 4, 2007, 7:51 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
I shouldn't have said see you at Starwood, as I still really like the Hhonors program. In fact my next stay is in the next 2 weeks.

Goodbye Diamond, but not "I'm leaving". I see Gold as working perfect for me.
Old May 4, 2007, 10:56 am

Programs: SPG Plat, HHonor Diamond, Hyatt PLAT, Marriott PLat, UA 1K, AA EXP, DL PLAT, BMI Gold, Co PLAT
I shouldn't have said see you at Starwood, as I still really like the Hhonors program. In fact my next stay is in the next 2 weeks.

Goodbye Diamond, but not "I'm leaving". I see Gold as working perfect for me.
GOLD is good

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.