Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Stays versus Nights: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stays versus Nights: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2015, 9:42 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by kmandrew
I guess you have to give us a bit more information. What is your goal, for instance to reach Gold or Diamond with a fast track or are your trying to decide between points/points vs points/miles? Are you trying to build up your Honors points or top off an airline account?
I definitely want Gold and I am gunning for miles, because I have heard that the Hilton points are massively devalued.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 11:24 pm

Programs: QFF LTG , HHD
Stay over year end

I'm sure this has been answered before but I can't immediately find it. I've a stay starting December 29 and ending January 2 (4 nights). Do the nights accrue to the year in which they fall or do all accrue to one year or the other, in which case which year? And is it two stays or one (as I expect) and what year does that accrue to? Many thanks.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 2:44 am

Originally Posted by turtlemichael
I'm sure this has been answered before but I can't immediately find it. I've a stay starting December 29 and ending January 2 (4 nights). Do the nights accrue to the year in which they fall or do all accrue to one year or the other, in which case which year? And is it two stays or one (as I expect) and what year does that accrue to? Many thanks.
The nights all post in the new calendar year, which explains how I managed to achieve 16 nights by 6 Jan...
Old Dec 17, 2015, 5:01 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
How many stays will I get in following situation? I have booked consecutive 3 nights in HGI Times Square, 2 nights in Hilton Times Square, and again 2 nights in HGI Times Square. But aside that for the same time 7 nights in HGI Times Square for two friends, not family members. I will be paying all the stays.

To ensure myself three stays, should we arrange a different payer for the 7 nights in HGI?
Old Dec 17, 2015, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by TTL
How many stays will I get in following situation? I have booked consecutive 3 nights in HGI Times Square, 2 nights in Hilton Times Square, and again 2 nights in HGI Times Square. But aside that for the same time 7 nights in HGI Times Square for two friends, not family members. I will be paying all the stays.

To ensure myself three stays, should we arrange a different payer for the 7 nights in HGI?
Your three stays should not be a problem, but getting credit for the other room would be, since they would be a completely separate reservation there would really be no way to combine them into your first one to at least salvage those first three nights.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by TTL

That would be a tough call. Sometimes where there is a conflict in bookings it seems they choose the one to give the lesser benefits. I doubt they will look to all four of your stays but instead just the two that conflict, probably after check out on day eight. My guess would be the three-night stay as they would likely have fewer points. You'll still get your three stays, but those points from the seven-night stay would be lost until claimed.

If I was doing the same thing, I would look to move the seven night stay to someone else, hopefully with an HH account already, or a new account just to capture the points from the stay. Also, is there a reason the other party can't/won't move with you? Yes, it's more of a hassle, but at least you can gather the points for both rooms. And, if you put them on a Gold promo, they'd only be one stay away from Gold status (bonus points).
Old Dec 17, 2015, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
I'm not sure your 3 stays are guaranteed as long as all the rooms are in your name. The problem is the 7 night stay and Hilton may look at that stay as the one they credit. As you cannot earn 2 separate stay credits for the same night I could envision Hilton saying only one stay credit. Then you get into a big back and forth with Hilton and there is no guarantee you will win. While it is true the first two stays might post and then you only have trouble getting credit for the third, I had one similar situation where Hilton backed out an earlier posting overlapping short stay and credited the later posting longer overlapping stay. It would be best to have someone else be responsible for that 7 night stay.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 2:09 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
Thanks for thoughts! We will open another account for the 7 nite stayers. I could have split their stay to three separate bookings in HGI, the middle one being reserved by the other account, but that proved too much of a hassle. Merry Xmas!
Old Jan 21, 2019, 10:38 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by mlqsko
Sorry for bumping the thread, but I got a question:

One night at a property, then few days later another one (not back to back) = 1 or 2 qualifying stays?
I'm pretty sure if there is a night between 2 stays at the same property it counts as 2 stays. (e.g. check in Monday, check out Tuesday, Check in Thursday).

This thread hasn't had activity in the last few years...can anyone confirm that we can still stay at 2 different properties in the same city on back to back nights and get 2 stay credits? I need to be in a few different areas of NYC(Manhattan) and they are far enough apart that it makes sense to move hotels to be closer to where my business will be.

Seems like a good opportunity to rack up stay credits - also considering I need 7 more stays by Feb 27 for a Diamond challenge I enrolled in.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by PHL
I'm pretty sure if there is a night between 2 stays at the same property it counts as 2 stays. (e.g. check in Monday, check out Tuesday, Check in Thursday).

This thread hasn't had activity in the last few years...can anyone confirm that we can still stay at 2 different properties in the same city on back to back nights and get 2 stay credits? I need to be in a few different areas of NYC(Manhattan) and they are far enough apart that it makes sense to move hotels to be closer to where my business will be.

Seems like a good opportunity to rack up stay credits - also considering I need 7 more stays by Feb 27 for a Diamond challenge I enrolled in.
Yes.
PHL likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by PHL

Many years ago SPG treated stays by geography and not just properties, so 5 nights in a row in NYC would be considered one stay. They got rid of that some time ago and not it only counts consecutive nights at the same property as one stay. I believe that also applies to properties co-located in the same building being separate. The only issue I recall popping up is when the properties share a back-office function and the night auditor deems them to be logically one property. If memory serves, pushback resulted in the stays being separated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.