Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Stays versus Nights: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stays versus Nights: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2006, 7:26 am

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, HHonors Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by MIKESILV
And some of us ( who could just happen to know better) are trying to tell you that in the case of consequtive days you OFTEN WILL NOT be fortunate to get multiple stays no matter how many times you call.

An anomoly is the ovelapping/end of year stay has always been unique in that you can get a stay in each year since the system cuts off on Dec 31st as HH members who spend New Years in Las Vegas can attest.

mike
This is an interesting anamoly and I'm assuming it works anywhere and not just Vegas.
Old Mar 14, 2006, 8:21 am

Programs: AAdvantage (PLT :(, 2MM), HHonors (Silver), Hertz (5 Star), Marriott (Silver)
sad to say i always requal on nights ... guess that is why my wife hates me travelling (too many nights away).
Old Mar 14, 2006, 8:51 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
The Hotel Hop

Originally Posted by fried.food.is.good
Thanks for the advice. It sure is a hassle packing up your stuff night after night but alas, diamond beckons and I must answer its siren call.
I don't find it to be a hassle, if the properties are close. It's the sacrifice I must make to maintain Diamond Status. Hell, there are times I've done Hilton, Starwood, Hilton, "stays". Last summer I was in LA for a long weekend, some friends and I opted to stay near the airport. Since we got in late around 11:30 pm, we did the Hampton Inn, then check into the Hilton for two nights, then the Westin for a night, then a night at the Embassy Suites (North) and the last night at the Sheraton. That gave me 3 Hilton stays and 4 Starwood stays, as SPG was running a double miles/double stay promo.

I know it sounds nuts, but as a 100% leisure traveler, I have to maintain status somehow. Since I am pretty particular as to where I stay I might "hotel hop" to personally check out various properties and compare it to what other FlyerTalkers have posted (as well as posting the obligatory “trip report”).

The “hop” method is also beneficial if you are traveling to a city for the first time. If location number one is not to your liking, but location two and three met your criteria, you now know where to spend YOUR MONEY in that city on future visits.
Old Mar 14, 2006, 12:27 pm

In the next few weeks I'll requalify Diamond with stays, nights and points.
If I'm by myself (my wife sometimes joins me when I go to locations she's interested in visiting), I might change as my business changes. For instance,I might be making a business visit to Houston and seeing a two or three clients who are spread out geographically. So I might spend the first night near Hobby, the second and third at the Galleria area and stay near Intercontinental where I'll fly out of.
This year I spent 8 nights at one location in Phoenix. Not great for stays, but really added up to a lot of points.
It is a hassle to keep checking out, but you really learn to literally live out of a suitcase ( I rarely totally unpack in the multi-stays trips).
Old Mar 14, 2006, 3:20 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond, MR Silver
Not only does Hilton track multiple nights on different confirmation numbers, and even different rates as 1 stay, they will ocassionally to try lump non-consecutive nights together as a single stay so that you have to call CS to get the correct number of stays credited...

This just happened to me last week at the Hilton Costa Mesa.
Old Mar 14, 2006, 4:36 pm

Programs: HHonors Silver
The least hassle is to put in 60 nights - then nights vs. stays don't matter.

58 and counting for me...
Old Mar 18, 2006, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jmplatinum
Yes, I needed one more stay on the rolling tier for Gold at the Hilton Costa Mesa/Orange County and it was Jan 31st. I asked for the mgr on checking on the 30th and he told me to come back the next day and he would close my folio and rebook me for the next couple of days that I needed to say. Worked like a charm. ^
How do you know it worked like a charm?

The rolling tier display is so messed up, it doesn't tell you whether it worked! It just counts total stays on each month's rolling basis. Once Jan 31 had passed (which was presumably the case by the time your first stay posted), you couldn't TELL whether you'd requalified, because it always gives you the "OR" option for future months even if you don't NEED that option.

But even if it did work, it doesn't mean your SECOND part of the stay posted as a separate stay (in terms of the count). Because whether it did or not, your rolling tier display would show the same thing!

Meanwhile, just because stays post to your account doesn't mean the "number of stays" counter at the top increases. That's the ONLY place you can tell for sure whether your closing/rebooking counted as two stays or one.

There is NEVER a problem with getting the hotel to close one stay and start another (people not after stay credit often do that just for billing purposes). The problem is that even when you do that, HHonors Central (not the individual hotel) does a sweep for that and decides it's really one stay for the purpose of your total stays counter. The fact that the hotel separates it into two stays USUALLY does no good in the end (even if it TEMPORARILY looks like it did).

So, again, just because you were able to get the hotel to split the bill proves nothing. And, in case your total stays counter continues to this day to show that split bill as two stays, even on that you're just lucky.
Old Mar 18, 2006, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pdhenry
The least hassle is to put in 60 nights - then nights vs. stays don't matter.

58 and counting for me...
If you have lots of opporutinity for multi-night stays, that's true.

But if MOST of the time you do one-night stays, and then you have to do a multi-night stay OCCASIONALLY, I don't see how it's simpler to put in 60 nights, aa it might mean 45 or 50 stays instead of 28! (In particular, it's not simpler if your work or whatever other needs aren't sending you on 60 nights a year, or at least not on 60 nights that you can do on HHonors.)

(I have trouble enough maintaining Diamond at 28 stays around 32 nights given that all my stays -- almost all 1-night -- are on my own dime and lately in the places I stay most HHonors properties have gone up in price more than the competition.)
Old Mar 18, 2006, 7:15 pm
In memoriam

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
Amen to that. Hotel hopping is my primary means of earning status with HH. Another strategy is the in/out hop. When you arrive, get an HH hotel somewhere between the airport and your destination. Next night check into your destination hotel and stay until one night before your last. For the last night go back to a hotel near the airport. That way you get 3 stays for one trip. It's a bit of a pain, especially for a 3 night trip , but it gets you status fast. I've done it many times.
I would be careful on this. Just because the manager closes the folio does NOT mean that when the HH computer does the processing for nights and stays it will see it as 2 stays, the mgr doesnt control that crediting the main computers do.
Old Mar 18, 2006, 8:16 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold; Hilton Diamond; National C ar Executive Elite
that's serious hotel hoppin!

Originally Posted by Cheap Elite
I don't find it to be a hassle, if the properties are close. It's the sacrifice I must make to maintain Diamond Status. Hell, there are times I've done Hilton, Starwood, Hilton, "stays". Last summer I was in LA for a long weekend, some friends and I opted to stay near the airport. Since we got in late around 11:30 pm, we did the Hampton Inn, then check into the Hilton for two nights, then the Westin for a night, then a night at the Embassy Suites (North) and the last night at the Sheraton. That gave me 3 Hilton stays and 4 Starwood stays, as SPG was running a double miles/double stay promo.

I know it sounds nuts, but as a 100% leisure traveler, I have to maintain status somehow. Since I am pretty particular as to where I stay I might "hotel hop" to personally check out various properties and compare it to what other FlyerTalkers have posted (as well as posting the obligatory “trip report”).

The “hop” method is also beneficial if you are traveling to a city for the first time. If location number one is not to your liking, but location two and three met your criteria, you now know where to spend YOUR MONEY in that city on future visits.
Ah the memories! I once did a hotel hop during a week in the FL panhandle. Switched between the Embassy Suites Destin and the Sandestin Hilton, jumping back and forth each night. Not too bad since they were about 4 miles from each other...I would have done the Hampton Inn Destin instead of the Hilton since the HI was alot closer to the ES....but the Hilton was a resort and the price was the same (off-peak) so I sucked it up and drove the 4 miles back and forth for 4 nights. I'm such a Diamond whore!
Old Mar 18, 2006, 8:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Lehava
I would be careful on this. Just because the manager closes the folio does NOT mean that when the HH computer does the processing for nights and stays it will see it as 2 stays, the mgr doesnt control that crediting the main computers do.
You might be careful but there is no reason why anybody else needs to be
When you check-out is when the folio closes.. period.
Unlike SPG Hilton gives stay credit at different hotels on any number of consecutive nights.
I have gotten credit for 8 stays in different properties on 8 different nights in a row. Plus if you have a mutual there is no problem getting credit at two different properties on the same night. In fact with a mutual you can get two rooms credit in one hotel and one room in another.

mike
Old Mar 18, 2006, 9:19 pm

You might be careful but there is no reason why anybody else needs to be
When you check-out is when the folio closes.. period.
Unlike SPG Hilton gives stay credit at different hotels on any number of consecutive nights.
I have gotten credit for 8 stays in different properties on 8 different nights in a row. Plus if you have a mutual there is no problem getting credit at two different properties on the same night. In fact with a mutual you can get two rooms credit in one hotel and one room in another.

mike
So if what you are saying is true, I could hypothetically book 28 rooms in 28 different hotels on the same night and be a diamond overnight? Has anyone else ever booked 2 rooms in 2 separate hotels on the same night and received credit for 2 separate stays?

Would it be safe to assume that if I booked 2 rooms at the same hotel on the same night that I would receive only 1 stay credit but 2 night credits?
Old Mar 18, 2006, 10:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by fried.food.is.good
So if what you are saying is true, I could hypothetically book 28 rooms in 28 different hotels on the same night and be a diamond overnight? Has anyone else ever booked 2 rooms in 2 separate hotels on the same night and received credit for 2 separate stays?

Would it be safe to assume that if I booked 2 rooms at the same hotel on the same night that I would receive only 1 stay credit but 2 night credits?
OK.. not so fast
If you notice I did say I had a mutual - which in case you are not familiar is an account with a spouse which HH USED to allow ( all those that had such accounts were grandfathered in when they stopped creatiing new mutuals) where two members, ie my wife and I could combine stays ( or nights ) to add up to the qulification for the required Elite level.
The system does not differentiate between the two members so I could book one stay in each of our respective names and get two stays, so yes under those circumstances one can get two stays on the same night.

As to the second part of your question, though some including myself has gotten lucky you are only supposed to get stay credit and night for only one room per night in the same hotel, but you can get point credit for the total of the two rooms folios.

mike
Old Mar 19, 2006, 9:11 pm

OK.. not so fast
If you notice I did say I had a mutual - which in case you are not familiar is an account with a spouse which HH USED to allow ( all those that had such accounts were grandfathered in when they stopped creatiing new mutuals) where two members, ie my wife and I could combine stays ( or nights ) to add up to the qulification for the required Elite level.
The system does not differentiate between the two members so I could book one stay in each of our respective names and get two stays, so yes under those circumstances one can get two stays on the same night.

As to the second part of your question, though some including myself has gotten lucky you are only supposed to get stay credit and night for only one room per night in the same hotel, but you can get point credit for the total of the two rooms folios.

mike
Thanks for the clarification Mike. I wasn't familiar with the "mutual" option. Overall this is disappointing news for me (poor me, I have to earn diamond by myself) but seems to be a great thing for those who have it.
Old May 21, 2006, 8:34 pm

stays vs nights

Ok, got my brand new Hhilton Amex. I've also got 30,000 Membership Rewards points that I'll eventually launder through Hawaiian Airlines and back to Hhilton Honors for 60,000 points.

Here's my question: I Want to build up even more points. What's the difference between "stays" and "nights"? I was thinking about just booking a bunch of cheap, one-night Hampton Inn's over the next year to qualify for Gold membership. Would that work? Am I off base? What's the difference between a "night" and a "stay"?

Thanks in advance. I'm fairly new to the hotel point game. Been collecting airline points for years but recently switched.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.