FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Hilton Newark/Fremont {US-CA} (no longer Honors) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/652374-hilton-newark-fremont-us-ca-no-longer-honors.html)

Diamond Dog Feb 3, 2002 12:54 pm

Hilton Newark/Fremont {US-CA} (no longer Honors)

I wanted to pass on my great expereinces with this hotel. I have stayed several times. Always upgraded without having to ask. Executive floor with evening appetizers and continetal breakfast. Free shuttle to and from San Jose airport and within 10 mile radius. Its newly remolded so the hotel looks really great inside. The people are all so freindly and you can tell the management stresses making the customer feel important. Even the restaurant is really really great. Its Asian/fusion cuisine.

They dont seem very busy, especially their restuarant. Most hotel restuarants are not good, but this one is.

I guess I am writing this because I feel bad for them. Even though they are trying so hard, you can tell that that they are not getting the business they want. They try all kinds of special things like "manager receptions" but it still seems to not work. I hate to see people who are doing everything right not be successfull. I am also writing this because I have written negative things about other hotels (Hilton Seattle) and I think its only fair to point out hotels that do things right.

One of the problems the hotel may have is its not really in San Jose and not really in San Fran. Kind of in between. Its right off the 880 freeway so if people are picking you up, its very convenient. There isnt much to do around the hotel, so that may be a problem for some. But I travel so much, I usally just want a nice meal and a nice room and I am happy. Across this street is a strip mall though and if you like ethinic places, you wil be in hog heaven. There are about 3 indian/pakistani restuarants, a japaneses, 2 chinese, an italian.

hedoman Feb 3, 2002 4:15 pm

This used to be my regular hang out. That was before they wanted $200/night for a room.
It was always a nice place to stay, and it sounds like they've made improvements.

Hope that all the hoteliers saved some money during the boom years, because the area has crashed and I don't feel real sorry for any of them. I'm getting three and four star rated hotels in this area for 30 to 40 dollars during the week thru Priceline.

MIKEM Feb 5, 2002 11:58 am

hedoman,

I've been staying there for the past six month and have never paid more than $139/night, midweek. I assume you're exaggerating when youy say $200/night.

However, I do agree with you that it is nice to see many of the hotels having to lower there rates. That area is waaay over priced.

capetown Feb 5, 2002 8:18 pm

The Santa Clara Hilton is still fighting and clawing to keep its higher rates. Hopefully they will drop their rates as well in the next few months to reflect slower business.

As for the Newark Hilton, it is a very poor location. It takes (even with the slowdown in the local economy) over an hour to get
to San Jose - Milpitas on the 880 and to be honest with you...it is an awful looking hotel.

As for feeling sorry for them...I dont think so...No one felt sorry for us when we were forking over the big bucks a couple of years ago to stay at ANY hotel in the Bay area. Business travelers have long memories and price gouging and poor service will indeed come back to haunt them.

outoftown Feb 5, 2002 9:38 pm

I've stayed at the Newark/Fremont Hilton about two years ago and thought the service was excellent. A smartly dressed business woman was in front of me arguing about her missing reservation and was angry they were sold out. The desk clerk then gave me the presidential suite with the huge conference room and two bathrooms for my $89 rate. I hadn't stayed there lately because the rates have gone up a lot. But in 3 years as a Diamond, I have never gotten another upgrade like that at any other US Hilton except Tapatio in the off-season.

hedoman Feb 15, 2002 4:11 pm

Will be staying here 2/18 thru 21. Just scored the place on Priceline @$42.00/night.
$140.29 total for three nights.

AK-business-traveler Jan 25, 2007 6:19 pm

Hilton Newark/Fremont {US-CA} (no longer HHonors)

I have an upcoming stay at the Hilton Newark/Fremont and will need to get myself to the airport for a 9am flight. What's the commute like at that time? How much time should I allow?

elCheapoDeluxe Jan 25, 2007 8:56 pm

Well, the traffic isn't going to be great, but the drive shouldn't take you over a half hour. Take 880 directly down to the coleman avenue exit and you'll survive ;-)

cblaisd Jan 25, 2007 9:46 pm

I'd up that estimate to 45 minutes, even an hour. I have seen some horrendous backups that time of day on that road.

Depends on your own personal stress o'meter in some ways. I have a low tolerance for even possibly, maybe, could miss a flight -- or frantically rushing to make it.

AK-business-traveler Jan 26, 2007 12:29 pm

thank you

Thanks folks - sounds like I need to try to book somewhere closer to the airport if possible...

elCheapoDeluxe Jan 26, 2007 2:09 pm

You're lucky! A couple years ago when it was only 4 lanes it would REALLY get hammered. That said, if you don't want the uncertainty, staying at a hotel near the airport wouldn't be unwise. There is a doubletree only a few blocks from the entrance if that is an option for you. Also, the Hampton Inn near 880 & 237 isn't bad at all. If 880 is especially backed up, take Old Oakland Rd (parallels 880 on the east side) down to Brokaw. Turn right on Brokaw and it will shoot you straight over to SJC.

AK-business-traveler Feb 3, 2007 3:44 pm

thanks!

will try for the doubletree instead - thanks!

party_boy Feb 3, 2007 3:49 pm

Don't exit Coleman, during traffic you'll have to go over the 101 which will easily add 10-15 min. Exit Brokaw and make a right at the light. Go straight for about 2-3 miles and you will enter the Airport.

I'd personally give the drive about 20 min from Stevenson (fremont/newark) to Brokaw.