Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newbury North {GBR} (formerly Hilton)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newbury North {GBR} (formerly Hilton)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2017, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have a Bristol stay coming up, considering your review Skimanant this place is to be avoided!
Old Sep 20, 2017, 8:30 am

I too did not receive a cookie at check in. Breakfast did have fruits, yogurt, hot buffet items, breads, and cereals but very limited options in comparison with other Doubletrees. My wife is gluten free. I called and asked room service what options were available for her. The response: "I don't know."

At one point, there was a long line at reception and for at least 8-10 minutes not a single person was at the desk. We just waited there.

At breakfast you have to wait to be seated, but the person doing the seating also does the coffee behind the bar, which can lead to long delays.

Won't be in a hurry to return
Old May 29, 2022, 11:19 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
BUMP - I’m here Friday night on my return journey from Cornwall to break the journey up.
I noticed nobody has posted since September 2017 so I’m taking a bit of a leap of faith…..anyone had any recent experiences?
Will do the usual reporting…..
lcylocal and chrism20 like this.
Old May 30, 2022, 8:07 am

Programs: BAEC silver, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Will be there on Wednesday night. Also breaking the trip to the south west. Fingers crossed 🤞
Old May 30, 2022, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by DrAJ
Will be there on Wednesday night. Also breaking the trip to the south west. Fingers crossed 🤞
Ah…cool, I’d be interested to hear your views after….cheers.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 8:41 am

Programs: Ihg diamond ambassador hilton gold
This is my local hilton but have only sent parents there. Hope you have a great time

We are normally just two miles away so if you are venturing further than the M4 junction and want some tips, please let me know
wizla likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by richardhall99
This is my local hilton but have only sent parents there. Hope you have a great time

We are normally just two miles away so if you are venturing further than the M4 junction and want some tips, please let me know
Hi and thanks…. No it’s purely just a stopover between Cornwall and Norwich, I won’t be arriving until 10/11pm and leaving fairly early too ( although I’m hoping for a quick sauna before breakfast ).

I have been preupgraded from a queen guest room to a queen deluxe room a few days back, I done OLCI to a room on second floor overlooking the courtyard so hopefully this will be quiet……will report back!
Old Jun 4, 2022, 8:50 am

Arrived 11:30pm last night, car park appeared fairly full but still plenty of spaces, it’s £5 per 24hours and not comped for diamonds.
Digital key for my preupgraded room arrived @ 1-44pm but reception area upon arrival was very quiet so got a physical key too.
Two cookies and two waters given and I’m off to the room ….
Note - 2 floors and no lift!

QUEEN DELUXE ROOM - reasonably large but not huge however whilst a little worn it was clean and tidy, super king size bed ( English ) , two extra waters on desk, table and chair , robe in closet and safe.

BATHROOM - medium sized , shower over bath type arrangement , usual toiletries…clean and tidy too.

I didn’t get any photos I was simply too tired and forgot….. we slept well but mattress was very worn and we both had sore backs , nothing bad but I wouldn’t choose this room again during OLCI ( 247 ).

SPA - i managed to get an hour in here before breakfast, it’s pretty good to be honest, clean albeit small changing rooms , lockers take a £1 coin .
Pool is nice , sauna was nicely hot , steam room too….. jacuzzi was out of order.

GYM - didn’t indulge but had a quick look , basically two of everything ( cross trainers, treadmills, etc ) some resistance machines , free weights and a pulley rack.
It was fairly small but reasonably equipped.

BREAKFAST - this was great, a nice selection of fruits , cereals and yogurts ….. was half full @ 9am this morning….. hot food was hot and tasty too with a great selection …… tea/ coffee self serve….cappuccino from machine was good.

CHECK OUT - done online at 10am and posted room card in express box.

CONCLUSION - apart from the creaky, worn bed it was a solid stay, I would definitely stay again but would not choose the same room, must also mention that digital key whilst works fine is almost useless here as front desk needs to put a pin code in parking tablet before you can register car so one would have to queue regardless, kinda defeats the object.

ROOM NO - 247

NEXT PLANNED STAY - Hilton Canary Wharf ( 6 / 6 / 22 )

Last edited by wizla; Jun 4, 2022 at 8:54 am Reason: Typo
Old Jun 4, 2022, 8:57 am

Hey, how was your stay?
Old Jun 4, 2022, 9:55 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by wizla
digital key whilst works fine is almost useless here as front desk needs to put a pin code in parking tablet before you can register car so one would have to queue regardless, kinda defeats the object.
Well, if there's a queue you could go straight to the room and then come back later to register the car, that's what I do as I'd rather not have to stop when carrying my stuff up to the room.

Where the digital key was really useless was one Hampton where it didn't work the lift, and the front desk said it was a known problem...

Plus you have to go to the front desk anyway if you want DT cookies.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by :D!
Well, if there's a queue you could go straight to the room and then come back later to register the car, that's what I do as I'd rather not have to stop when carrying my stuff up to the room.

Where the digital key was really useless was one Hampton where it didn't work the lift, and the front desk said it was a known problem...

Plus you have to go to the front desk anyway if you want DT cookies.
Hmmm have to be careful with that one , you get 30 mins to register before an automatic fine is published at Hampton Corby , I kinda assumed they are all connected to parking eye…..I could be wrong here but it’s £100 fine if I’m correct.
I don’t normally bother with the cookies as they are so calorific but yes they was welcome with a cup of tea on this occasion after dinner 6 hours back and a 200mile drive… talking of tea they had twinnings rather than that horrid H + G rubbish.
:D! likes this.

Last edited by wizla; Jun 4, 2022 at 1:59 pm
Old Jun 5, 2022, 2:37 am

Programs: BAEC silver, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
We also had solid albeit functional experience. Pre upgraded to 2nd floor Queen deluxe (213). Surprised about no lift. Also worn and lumpy mattress but did sleep well. I did notice that the windows opened as well as AC being good. Staff all seemed welcoming and I'm told they are happy to serve drinks from bar all night as long as you room charge post 10pm. We arrived at 8.30pm so ordered a couple of starters from the restaurant menu to have either some wine in the (very quiet) bar. Food mediocre really. Next morning we used gym. Pretty standard, a little tired but did the job. Typical hilton one of two treadmills out of order... had water machine but no small towels.

At breakfast they were trialling table service orders on hot food when we were there. Not sure if it was just as they were quiet? The F&B manager was actively seeking feedback on it from guests who had been there for buffet day before. I think its a good concept to reduce waste and not have eggs that dry out under heat lamps but they do need a menu on table if they are going to ask for table orders.

On reflection it was solid. Something about the atmosphere and student hall type corridors that i can't quite decide on... trying to decide how I feel about this place vs our usual m4 stopover at Swindon... Time will tell i suppose next time what the gut feeling is when we make trip.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 3:17 am

We also had solid albeit functional experience. Pre upgraded to 2nd floor Queen deluxe (213). Surprised about no lift. Also worn and lumpy mattress but did sleep well. I did notice that the windows opened as well as AC being good. Staff all seemed welcoming and I'm told they are happy to serve drinks from bar all night as long as you room charge post 10pm. We arrived at 8.30pm so ordered a couple of starters from the restaurant menu to have either some wine in the (very quiet) bar. Food mediocre really. Next morning we used gym. Pretty standard, a little tired but did the job. Typical hilton one of two treadmills out of order... had water machine but no small towels.

At breakfast they were trialling table service orders on hot food when we were there. Not sure if it was just as they were quiet? The F&B manager was actively seeking feedback on it from guests who had been there for buffet day before. I think its a good concept to reduce waste and not have eggs that dry out under heat lamps but they do need a menu on table if they are going to ask for table orders.

On reflection it was solid. Something about the atmosphere and student hall type corridors that i can't quite decide on... trying to decide how I feel about this place vs our usual m4 stopover at Swindon... Time will tell i suppose next time what the gut feeling is when we make trip.
Yes I forgot to mention the air conditioning, it was a positive from me, worked well and was reasonably quiet too, did try to open window upon waking but it was strangely locked shut.
As for Newbury against Swindon I feel Swindon was definitely more modern but it’s the spa at Newbury that wins it for me , I love to sauna and swim before breakfast…… room wise I had a suite at Swindon which was far superior to my queen deluxe at Newbury so would be unfair to judge on rooms.
Overall I agree with your thoughts, both solid stays although both rooms had creaky beds which was annoying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.