Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Doubletree Death - Lack of Carbon Monoxide Detectors in Hilton Hotels

Doubletree Death - Lack of Carbon Monoxide Detectors in Hilton Hotels

Old Jan 12, 07, 7:30 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: DFW
Programs: United Gold, BA Plat, Starwood Plat, Hilton Silver
Posts: 238
Thumbs down Doubletree Death - Lack of Carbon Monoxide Detectors in Hilton Hotels

I just watched a news segment, available on cnn.com, which stated that all Marriott hotels require carbon monoxide detectors. Why can't Hilton do the same? Are they too cheap? I am going to write to them and ask them to add them to their hotels. Heck, I'm going to write my representatives to enact laws. I can't wait for that Doubletree to get sued, especially with punitive damages since other guests got sick a few days before.
novaguy30 is offline  
Old Jan 12, 07, 7:35 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: He who dies with the most miles wins!!
Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Posts: 11,673
Very scary situation.

Should be mandatory in all public places. CO detectors cost almost nothing
mikey1003 is offline  
Old Jan 12, 07, 8:08 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 42
Almost makes you want to bring your own.
BrianGa is offline  
Old Jan 12, 07, 9:11 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: PEK
Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
Posts: 4,388
It's just like in Fight Club. HH and the actuaries are looking at the cost of installing carbom monoxide detectors vs. the cost of settling the lawsuits resulting from the deaths. If the first is higher than the second....no recall.

Ah, I feel so safe here in my HGI-Chicago!!
theblakefish is offline  
Old Jan 12, 07, 9:26 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Reno, Nevada
Posts: 7,368
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=641176

Mike
nako is offline  
Old Jan 13, 07, 6:01 am
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Bryn Mawr PA & Wailea HI
Posts: 15,726
I agree on smoke detectors but install carbon monoxide detectors? Cmon. Next it will be methane detectors, benzene detectors, carbon disulfide detectors etc. With all these chemical detectors here wont be enough space left in the room for two people. I really dont consider carbon monoxide a real hazard in hotel rooms.

MisterNice
MisterNice is offline  
Old Jan 13, 07, 8:16 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Beverly Hills
Posts: 107
Carbon monoxide IS a real hazard at hotels

Originally Posted by MisterNice View Post
I agree on smoke detectors but install carbon monoxide detectors? Cmon. Next it will be methane detectors, benzene detectors, carbon disulfide detectors etc. With all these chemical detectors here wont be enough space left in the room for two people. I really dont consider carbon monoxide a real hazard in hotel rooms.

MisterNice
"Hotel Online News for the Hospitality Executive" reported "Monoxide was cause of death at hotel: The second-largest hotel in Key West will be closed for at least a month while investigators probe the carbon monoxide poisoning of a tourist."

Less than a week before there were three other carbon monoxide poisonings at the hotel. So MisterNice, while you may not "consider carbon monoxide a real hazard in hotel rooms" there are at least two grieving families who understand that carbon monoxide IS a real hazard.
lisadiamond is offline  
Old Jan 13, 07, 1:04 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: He who dies with the most miles wins!!
Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Posts: 11,673
Originally Posted by MisterNice View Post
I agree on smoke detectors but install carbon monoxide detectors? Cmon. Next it will be methane detectors, benzene detectors, carbon disulfide detectors etc. With all these chemical detectors here wont be enough space left in the room for two people. I really dont consider carbon monoxide a real hazard in hotel rooms.

MisterNice
Interesting that you bring up the other detectors.

Five years ago, after a serious sinus and upper respiratory infection, I lost all sense of smell. (More common than you would imagine: http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/sym/loss_of_smell.htm )

Recently I was in a building that had a natural gas leak, I could smell nothing.

CO is odorless but Chlorine and several other common chemicals are in and around hotels and public buildings.

Every few years we hear about a CO or CL death in a hotel. Last time I remember it involved CO from a pool heater.
mikey1003 is offline  
Old Jan 13, 07, 2:10 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Bryn Mawr PA & Wailea HI
Posts: 15,726
Originally Posted by mikey1003 View Post
Interesting that you bring up the other detectors.
Five years ago, after a serious sinus and upper respiratory infection, I lost all sense of smell. (More common than you would imagine: http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/sym/loss_of_smell.htm )
Recently I was in a building that had a natural gas leak, I could smell nothing.
CO is odorless but Chlorine and several other common chemicals are in and around hotels and public buildings. Every few years we hear about a CO or CL death in a hotel. Last time I remember it involved CO from a pool heater.
While in the US Army Chemical Corps I did research involving some advanced chemical detectors for chemical and biological weapons. In industry when working with certain dangerous chemicals I use and highly recommend the very sensitive and accurate chemical detectors manufactured by Drger Safety AG

MisterNice
MisterNice is offline  
Old Jan 16, 07, 11:25 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 332
Hilton is refunding my points and putting me up in a two bedroom condo for the one night I was booked at for no charge.
Adirondacker is offline  
Old Jan 16, 07, 11:54 am
  #11  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Tampa, Florida, U.S.A.
Posts: 7,664
Originally Posted by Adirondacker View Post
Hilton is refunding my points and putting me up in a two bedroom condo for the one night I was booked at for no charge.
Care to give the relevance to the above or anything else for that matter?

mike
MIKESILV is offline  
Old Jan 16, 07, 3:40 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 332
Originally Posted by MIKESILV View Post
Care to give the relevance to the above or anything else for that matter?

mike
Sure, my hilton honors reservation was cancelled due to the unfortunate incident, I was letting people know how they handled it.
Adirondacker is offline  
Old Jan 19, 07, 9:31 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: IL
Posts: 57
Carbon monoxide is generated by the buning of fossil fuels. if a property does not use gas for heating, it wont generate carbon monoxide.

As most hotel rooms where I stay are heated by electricity there is no possibility of generating carbon monoxide in the room. A fire could generate carbon monoxide but that would be detected by a smoke detector.
rjgogo is offline  
Old Jan 19, 07, 8:29 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Oz
Programs: QF LTG, Velocity FF Red, HH Diamond, PC Platinum Ambassador, UA Nothing
Posts: 1,882
Originally Posted by rjgogo View Post
Carbon monoxide is generated by the buning of fossil fuels. if a property does not use gas for heating, it wont generate carbon monoxide.

As most hotel rooms where I stay are heated by electricity there is no possibility of generating carbon monoxide in the room. A fire could generate carbon monoxide but that would be detected by a smoke detector.
Maybe they use gas hot water!
Itsalongwaydown is offline  
Old Jan 19, 07, 9:18 pm
  #15  
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: NorCal - SMF area
Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Posts: 62,952
The insiduous part about CO is that, in addition to being a product of combustion, and is colorless and odorless your hemoglobin (the red substance that binds to O2 and carries it to every cell in your body so you may live,) human hemoglobin has approximately 210 times greater affinity for CO than for 02. It gives you a nice, apparently healthy glow and cherry red lips (not to mention reddish nailbeds.) Nasty stuff!
JDiver is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread