Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Doubletree by Hilton Brighton Metropole (was Hilton Brighton Metropole) {GBR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Doubletree by Hilton Brighton Metropole (was Hilton Brighton Metropole) {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2019, 5:46 pm

Programs: VS Flying Club (Gold), BA Exec Club (Silver), Hilton Honors (Diamond)
I stayed here in early December and it was fantastic! Diamond upgrade to a see view deluxe room which was more like a junior suite! It was enormous.

Diamond wine reception on the evening.

Great staff in the bar! Was perfect!
Old Jan 5, 2019, 3:21 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by ColOrd
I stayed here in early December and it was fantastic! Diamond upgrade to a see view deluxe room which was more like a junior suite! It was enormous.

Diamond wine reception on the evening.

Great staff in the bar! Was perfect!

Diamond wine reception?.....how does this work?.......interesting.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 8:11 am

Programs: VS Flying Club (Gold), BA Exec Club (Silver), Hilton Honors (Diamond)
It was a little roped off area in the main bar, with free red and white wine, there may have been some beer and a few canapés. It was a cut down version of what you would get in a Hilton Lounge 1800-2000. I had three rooms booked as there was three of us going to a gig at the Brighton centre next door. They upgraded all three rooms. It was only December but I cannot remember how they enforced or checked if you were Diamond, I think we might have been given invites to hand in.
hugolover likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by ColOrd
It was a little roped off area in the main bar, with free red and white wine, there may have been some beer and a few canapés. It was a cut down version of what you would get in a Hilton Lounge 1800-2000. I had three rooms booked as there was three of us going to a gig at the Brighton centre next door. They upgraded all three rooms. It was only December but I cannot remember how they enforced or checked if you were Diamond, I think we might have been given invites to hand in.
Oh, ok....Nice touch!...... I maybe there in the spring. Will look out for this.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 8:28 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
I just looked at hotel pricing, through hotels.com (mid week in late may) and found this Hilton to be $50 higher, than the Brighton Grand Hotel? How is this possible, who would book this sad looking Hilton, and forgo a stay, at the legendary Grand Dame of Brighton?
Old Feb 17, 2019, 1:52 am

Originally Posted by gkbiiii
I just looked at hotel pricing, through hotels.com (mid week in late may) and found this Hilton to be $50 higher, than the Brighton Grand Hotel? How is this possible, who would book this sad looking Hilton, and forgo a stay, at the legendary Grand Dame of Brighton?
There is talk here in the uk that the Grand is trading on its name, it’s no longer the grand old lady it used to be from years gone by.
I stayed there myself a couple of years back as my mother always wanted to try this and was very disappointed.....Afternoon tea was a shambles with the wrong tea brought to us and a pianist so loud we couldn’t hear ourselves speak, dress code for tea lounge was shirt and trousers , everyone was in shorts , t shirt and flip flops except myself.
Both rooms were dark and dreary with frosted glass and the breakfast was cold too.....I would choose the Hilton next door any day.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 2:52 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Spire, Caesars Diamond
Originally Posted by wizla
There is talk here in the uk that the Grand is trading on its name, it’s no longer the grand old lady it used to be from years gone by.
I stayed there myself a couple of years back as my mother always wanted to try this and was very disappointed.....Afternoon tea was a shambles with the wrong tea brought to us and a pianist so loud we couldn’t hear ourselves speak, dress code for tea lounge was shirt and trousers , everyone was in shorts , t shirt and flip flops except myself.
Both rooms were dark and dreary with frosted glass and the breakfast was cold too.....I would choose the Hilton next door any day.
The last couple of times I've been down there the Grand next door seemed to be going through some kind of never ending renovations with scaffolding everywhere. Perhaps it'll be restored to some of its former glory if that's finally finished this year - I'm not down for a conference again until late this year (normally down in April too but this year it clashes with a trip to the US).

The Hilton itself is solid for a UK Hilton but nothing special. The rooms are a little dated but the premium rooms are very spacious for the UK. Public areas are fine and a lot of people from the events I go to stay too so we all like to network/drink/eat in the bar at least once or twice during the course of things. Room service can be a little slow here late at night but they did bring me random things (nothing fancy) that weren't strictly speaking on the menu for 24 hour RS so I gave them bonus points for that! I wasn't Diamond last time I stayed so can't speak to upgrades etc but I'd already picked a pretty good room so not sure what they'd have moved me to anyway in the event upgrades were available.

Given the prices I've found it to be perfectly fine and haven't considered looking elsewhere since I started having to head down for events in Brighton.
hugolover and wizla like this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
The website for The Grand and trip adviser guest pictures, make it look like a truly special hotel. You all have been there, so i will take your observations into account, thanks.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by gkbiiii
The website for The Grand and trip adviser guest pictures, make it look like a truly special hotel. You all have been there, so i will take your observations into account, thanks.
To be fair my stay was back in 2016 but I’ve heard other negative remarks about the grand since, however maybe different now .
Old Feb 18, 2019, 3:24 am

Programs: British Airways, Hilton Hhonors, Avis, Hertz
I stayed there again a couple of weeks ago and sad to say it's still in dire need of a refurb.
All of the fittings in the room were very worn indeed with rainwater leaking into the windowsill.
It's a shame as this *could* be a fantastic hotel if they put a bit of time and money into it.

In my experience, the delivery of Honors benefits are a bit perfunctory too...Having said that,
On this last stay, I was handed an envelope with any apology letter that the evening Diamond reception
was cancelled due to a convention in the hotel with two free drink coupons...
Old Aug 16, 2019, 2:37 pm

I’m here this coming Sunday to Tuesday, Leisure stay, booked double guest room and added email to say it is my lady’s birthday so requested a sea view room ( we celebrated her birthday with a week in Mallorca last week but I guess it’s not a complete fib ) .
Just noticed preupgraded to a king room with sea view so will jump on OLCI tomorrow morning and hopefully secure a decent room.
Of course I will do my usual cutting edge reporting for you guys!.......will report back!
NoY, MoodyB and Winniesbestfriend like this.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 1:28 am

I’m here this coming Sunday to Tuesday, Leisure stay, booked double guest room and added email to say it is my lady’s birthday so requested a sea view room ( we celebrated her birthday with a week in Mallorca last week but I guess it’s not a complete fib ) .
Just noticed preupgraded to a king room with sea view so will jump on OLCI tomorrow morning and hopefully secure a decent room.
Of course I will do my usual cutting edge reporting for you guys!.......will report back!
Now about to leave for the 3.5 hour drive down to Brighton, no further upgrade this morning for tonight’s stay but checking the website the hotel is filling up fast so pulled the trigger at OLCI just now to hopefully secure a king sea view room on 5th floor, check in isn’t until 4 pm here ......... will report back!
MoodyB likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 5:57 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, Amex Plat
Now about to leave for the 3.5 hour drive down to Brighton, no further upgrade this morning for tonight’s stay but checking the website the hotel is filling up fast so pulled the trigger at OLCI just now to hopefully secure a king sea view room on 5th floor, check in isn’t until 4 pm here ......... will report back!
Good luck! You probably know that the hotel isn't exactly plush, being a mash-up of tired/renovated classic/modern, so please don't get too excited

Looking forward to you usual cutting-edge reporting
wizla and MoodyB like this.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 8:07 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, IHG Spire, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by NoY
Good luck! You probably know that the hotel isn't exactly plush, being a mash-up of tired/renovated classic/modern, so please don't get too excited

Looking forward to you usual cutting-edge reporting
stayed there last year and does just make me feel like it needs to be completely gutted / refurbed. Could be so much more with the location.

I guess the the owner is happy with minimal investment and still being one of the only real choices in that area.
NoY, wizla and MoodyB like this.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 10:44 am

Thanks guys, yeah it definitely blows hot and cold here , I think I done okay on this occasion although there does seem an air of disorganisation here , I think I got somewhat lucky.

Arrived 2-30pm, room not ready as it’s a 4 pm check in here, bags stored by concierge and went for a wander along the promenade, returned 5 pm to a very long queue at reception, luckily there as only one guy in front at the Honors line so joined behind him...... got the feeling the other folk in the regular queue wasn’t happy.
Keys swiftly given to me in envelope as I done OLCI and I collect our bags on the way through.

ROOM - 5th floor king guest room with sea view......it’s nice, a little worn and old fashioned but it’s fine, it’s fairly big too.....two tiny waters but a bottle of Prosecco and cake on side ( it’s my lady’s birthday or was last week ) ..... air con working well which is apparently rare here....... small bathroom with bath and shower above......no robes but slippers and safe. ( will upload photos later )

Now off for a sauna and swim......will report back!
NoY, BotB and MoodyB like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.