Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Honors Gold VIP Members at Scandic Hotels

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Honors Gold VIP Members at Scandic Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2006, 8:47 am

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
Originally Posted by Spider
I'm planning a weekend stay at Helsinki Scandic Grand Marina during the first May weekend. Their best rate seems to be 124euro/room for a superior king room.

Since this is their highest simple room then the next level up should be a suite of some sort.

Would an upgrade to a suite be realistic at this hotel?
I have stayed there many times as Diamond - never been upgraded to a suite. Also the superior rooms are quite basic - a little nicer fabrics used, sometimes a room for 3 or 4. Sometimes a corner room with sea view - that, I think, would be the best you can get.

I like the location of the Grand Marina and the service attitude of the staff.
Old Apr 10, 2006, 5:13 pm

So, what would be the best hotel to book where an upgrade would be most realistic to eventuate? A proper Hilton, like Strand?
Old Apr 10, 2006, 10:29 pm

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, PC Plat
So, what would be the best hotel to book where an upgrade would be most realistic to eventuate? A proper Hilton, like Strand?
Strand is great, service is very nice, staff well trained etc.
If there is upgrades to Executive floor available you will get access to clubroom, otherwise not.

Scandic Continental has most rooms to upgrade, their Ambassador rooms are IC quality (hotel was IC before). Superior plus rooms are still among the best in town.

Grand Marina is worst Scandic in Helsinki. I don´t like Marski neither. Simonkenttä is nice & modern but upgrades are rare and rooms small.

Most valuable benefit for gold Scandics in Finland is 14 euro coupon to restaurant. Diamonds will get 17 € and -25% from all food & beverages. Also you get bottled water & fruits from fruitmarket in lobby.

TV
Old Apr 11, 2006, 3:26 am

Originally Posted by tristan vox
Strand is great, service is very nice, staff well trained etc.
If there is upgrades to Executive floor available you will get access to clubroom, otherwise not.
I've had access to the exec.club at Strand even when the exec floor was full. As a hotel Strand is best. Location for sightseeing or shopping is not that good. No coupons either.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by tsastor
I've had access to the exec.club at Strand even when the exec floor was full. As a hotel Strand is best. Location for sightseeing or shopping is not that good. No coupons either.
Well, it is 10 minutes to walk to the Main station and the same time to the main shopping area. But it is a Hilton. At least under the old points regime most Scandics were superb deals at 10.000 points. And rooms: I was on a tour around Copenhagen, Stockholm, Bergen and Olso. And did the same in every Scandic: Had a look at the first room they offered, complained and they were happy and able to offer a much nicer room.

Cheers
T.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 5:03 am

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
Well, it is 10 minutes to walk to the Main station and the same time to the main shopping area. But it is a Hilton.
True, but the Grand Marina is 200 meters from the market place, senate square and the sightseeing boats. Being an old stone harbour warehouse it is still quiet, especially on the seaside. But I agree that if you want a stylish room there you'll probably have to book a suite.
Old Apr 25, 2006, 7:06 am
mtn

Programs: Honors Gold, Marriott Gold
Unfortunately since 1st of February 2006 Hilton Helsinki Strand grants access to executive lounge only if a guest is staying at the executive floor. Even Diamond members don't get free access to the lounge. If you don't receive an upgrade, you will have to pay a supplemental charge of 50 euros to access the lounge.

Scandic Helsinki Continental also has a lounge, but the lounge does not offer any alcoholic beverages. As I know, Scandic Helsinki Continental is the only Scandic hotel to have a lounge. Is this true? In Helsinki Continental you get access to the lounge only if you stay in a superior room or suite.

Scandic Simonkenttä has very small rooms. I recommend it only for people traveling alone. There are nice rooms with a private sauna at the top floor, but they are almost always fully booked.

If you are looking for a hotel with a lounge with alcohol, Hilton Helsinki Strand and Crowne Plaza Helsinki are the only ones offering booze.
Old Apr 25, 2006, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by mtn
Unfortunately since 1st of February 2006 Hilton Helsinki Strand grants access to executive lounge only if a guest is staying at the executive floor. Even Diamond members don't get free access to the lounge. If you don't receive an upgrade, you will have to pay a supplemental charge of 50 euros to access the lounge.
Sorry to hear that. That takes away my main reason to stay at this property. Thanks for the info anyway.
Old Apr 26, 2006, 5:08 am

Programs: UA Gold (Million Miler), FI Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
I am HH Gold and stayed at the Scandic Brussels last week. I got an upgrade to a newly refurbished "exec room" on the top floor, fruit, bottled water, and a €5 coupon off the bar/restaurant.
Old Apr 26, 2006, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
No, suite upgrade is not on of the features of HH. And to be honost: I am not even sure the this hotel has any suites.

Cheers
T.
Yes they do, and very nice ones. Not sure about upgrades though.
Old Apr 28, 2006, 9:28 pm

Question

When staying as HH Gold at Scandic, do I get exactly the same privileges as at Hilton proper? Do I get a free room upgrade when available? Do I get to bring along my spouse for free?

Your Spouse????????????????????????? WHAT????????????????????
Old Aug 12, 2006, 4:49 pm

Water/fruit benefit for Golds at Scandics

Fruit and mineral water are published benefits for Golds at Scandic hotels. According to the HHonors website, these items are to be delivered to the room. However, the Scandic website says that these items are to be obtained free of charge at the "Fruit market" in the hotel lobby. Which website has the correct information? Thanks.
Old Aug 12, 2006, 5:11 pm

Typically there is a big basket of fruit near the front desk. Although there is a price indicated per piece, Diamonds (and I would guess Golds) are invited to take two pieces with them. Usually you have to ask. I have never (15 or so stays) had the fruit delivered to the room. Scandics are just not staffed for room service.

The water is also at the front desk and you usually have to ask.

By the way, the fruit is never exciting. Apples seems to be the most common in my experience.
Old Aug 12, 2006, 5:41 pm

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
I've had water and fruit in the room on a couple of occasions. In Brugge, Belgium, we also received a bottle of wine and box of chocolates in the room. ^

But had they not had it waiting in the room, it would never have been a long walk to the lobby
Old Aug 12, 2006, 7:44 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I had the same experience - a box of Belgo chockies and South Effrican wine, not a bad deal at all. And yeah, the largely Flemish locals would much rather we call it Brugge (brew-huh) than the French "Bruges." I'll drink a Bruggse Tripel to that!

Lode Notredame (Quasimodo Tours) tells the story that when the French were being repelled at the gates with arrows and boiling oil, the local residents invented the first "French fries."

Originally Posted by Grog
I've had water and fruit in the room on a couple of occasions. In Brugge, Belgium, we also received a bottle of wine and box of chocolates in the room. ^

But had they not had it waiting in the room, it would never have been a long walk to the lobby

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.