Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Santa Clara {US-CA}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2009, 2:21 pm

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by ross123
I've always said to my colleagues that diamond at this hotel gets you a "we won't spit on you...... much...." attitude.
As I posted up thread, I used to stay here 50-60 nights a year and I strongly disagree with this. As other posters have noted, it's the staff that makes this hotel so pleasant.

I was always treated well here, even before I began my frequent stays.

If you feel the service is not up to par, speak to Chris in Guest Services. He's a good guy.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 11:59 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Chapel Hill Guy
If you feel the service is not up to par, speak to Chris in Guest Services. He's a good guy.
Or stay at the Hyatt across the street.
Old Sep 25, 2009, 10:18 am

Cool

Originally Posted by Stripe
Or stay at the Hyatt across the street.
I switch back and forth between the Hilton and Marriott. And then with the Hilton I go between the FS Hilton and the Embassy Suites.All three hotels are probably within a mile radius. I've also done the Homewood and Doubletree closer to the airport. I liked the Doubletree, but it was really oddly laid out (between where you park for registration, then check in, then the room elevators and guest parking.

My colleague tried out the Hyatt and left after one night. She was not happy with the room. It disturbed her (the colors furnishing). So I'll probably try it just to see what she means
Old Nov 4, 2009, 11:22 am

Programs: UA1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Million-Miler
How does one go to the Hotel by light rail? Does light rail come all the way to the airport or is there a bus connection to one of the stops?
Old Nov 4, 2009, 2:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Lurch
How does one go to the Hotel by light rail? Does light rail come all the way to the airport or is there a bus connection to one of the stops?
VTA goes right by the hotel - which airport are you flying into, SFO or SJC?
Old Nov 4, 2009, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
VTA goes right by the hotel - which airport are you flying into, SFO or SJC?
SJC
Old Nov 4, 2009, 6:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
From SJC take route 10 shuttle bus (free) to light rail about .5 miles away (route 10 also goes to Caltrain on the other side of the airport, so mind which direction you're taking), then take the Mountain View line north to the Great America stop. Hotel is across the street.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 10:04 pm

I am staying at the hotel now. I was upgraded to a true suite with the living area completely separated by a door. Staff was very friendly. The lounge had very good appetizers. Booze extra of course. I won't be able to stay for breakfast in the lounge. I am impressed. Upgrades to a suite happen so rarely at Hiltons.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 12:19 am

Angry Hilton - Santa Clara

Guys, I read the board alot but don't comment much but I wanted to share my recent experience at the Hilton Santa Clara. FYI, I am a HHonors Diamond member.

It appears that this hotel thinks upgrades to the HHonors floor constitutes the same as Executive Floor. The front desk employee kept commenting that I had a low normal rate and that this was an upgrade based on that.

To top it all off, they gave me two double beds when my profile clearing states king. I finally went down and had to ask for the managers business card as there was no welcome letter or anything else like I have received at other high quality Hilton properties.

I shipped off an email to the manager however I am so pissed with how the front desk treated me (like I'm an idiot), I think I'm going to check out tomorrow and go over to either the Hyatt or maybe around the corner to the Hilton Garden Inn (I have had good luck there).

Geesh!

Old Nov 8, 2010, 9:31 pm

Thumbs up update

I received a response from the general manager and they were able to accomodate upgrading me to the executive floor with my bed selection which was greatly appreciated. It sounds like the Diamond Desk who booked my stay supposedly didn't include my bed preference but who knows.

I understand upgrades are not guaranteed and if I wanted to guarantee the exec floor I would reserve it but to say you are upgrading me to a room that is nothing more than a standard room is unacceptable. Also if Hiltons didn't upgrade me more than not I would switch to another hotel chain that values loyalty. I really wish these hotels would better train their front desk staff on their loyalty programs as having to explain them as a customer gets old.

I really enjoy staying at Hilton properties outside of the US as they understand how to treat guests and am 100% on upgrades.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 1:41 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
I'm at this property now and have been mostly pleased. I arrived by Amtrak and it's a 10-minute walk from the Great America station (not to be confused with the nearby VTA light rail station of the same name).

There were a lot of small things that went wrong at first, but staff had a good attitude and were quick to correct them. First, my keycards didn't work, probably because they had been encoded hours before. Then, I discovered the phone on the desk didn't work, which they fixed promptly. Then, the vending machine spit out a $2 Diet Coke when I had paid for a $2.50 Vitamin Water. The front desk sent a bellhop to bring me the right beverage. ^

Even-numbered rooms on the Executive Floor have a nice view of Great America, the SJC flight path, and downtown San Jose in the distance. My upgrade was confirmed 24 hours out and the room came with two bottles of water and two robes. Ethernet HSIA is very fast (I just tested at 48 Mbps down, 22 up). The room is clean and the bed is very comfortable. Unfortunately, while the TV itself is nice, the interface is pretty old, with no guide channel. And they don't carry Comedy Central.

I was pleasantly surprised that the Concierge Lounge has weekend hours now, and it's open to non-upgraded Gold as well as Diamond members. Hours are as follows: Breakfast is 6:30-9:30a weekdays, 7-11a weekends. Hors d'oeurves are 5:30-8:30p every day. I missed the evening service, but the breakfast spread was quite substantial, with eggs, potatoes, oatmeal, fruit, cereals, bagels, breads, and yogurt.

There are a lot of families here on weekends, so be prepared for the pool area to be overrun. But it's been very quiet here on the 8th floor. Finally, the hotel is accommodating my request for late checkout at 1 today. ^
Old Jul 30, 2011, 1:54 pm

Programs: AS-MVP, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold
I enjoyed this property and took the VTA from the airport to the hotel, which is really convenient. But without a car finding food or anything else to do is tough if you don't want to eat at the hotel or lounge for every meal.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 2:51 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9650; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.524 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

I arrived late and only stayed one night, so all I needed was breakfast. But you're right, the sidewalks and transit access don't exactly make the location vibrant! I wouldn't recommend it for long stays without a car.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 4:48 pm

Part review; part Thank You letter
I had a two day stay a the Hilton Santa Clara in early July. I seldom get to stay in full-service hotels, so I’m easily “dazzled”, but this stay was truly “a cut above”.
I spend about six nights a year here, usually a night at a time, usually on a weekend. During the week, it’s just beyond my budget. The week of July 1st, however, it was inexpensive and running low occupancy, presumably as a result of the mid-week Independence Day holiday.
Arrived at 1:30, well before check-in time of 3:00PM. As usual, ample parking and clean parking lot. I was greeted warmly, and housekeeping was contacted to see if my room could be expedited. It was, and 15 minutes later I checked into a mini-suite. (This was the first “suite” upgrade I can remember in 14 years as a Diamond. And at an ultra-low rate, $87 AAA.) The room seemed like a full suite to me, with a mini refrigerator and double sized bathroom – two, separate sinks, a shower and a tub. Living room area had a couch and worktable and television. View of the parking lot and environs.

Other amenities enjoyed included the Club Lounge, which has a better than average evening reception with a couple of hot dishes (non-vegetarian, so I can’t comment), crudités and salsa; morning fare was again two hot dishes (non-vegetarian – eggs and meat), plus fruit and bread and oatmeal (apparently made without sugar and cream). The nice “bonus” this trip is that the hotel wasn’t full of families visiting Great America, and feeding all six kids in the Lounge, as often seems to be the case on my weekend stays.

As always, the fitness center was good, with modern Precor equipment. The pool area was inviting, though this was a work trip with no leisure time…aside from the “mandatory” workout.

As has been noted in earlier reviews there isn't much within walking distance. But the VTA light rail stops across the street and provides easy access to Mountain View and downtown San Jose, both decent places to spend an evening (I prefer the former).

Asked for a late check-out (which I felt a little bad about, after enjoying an early check-in) and was granted 2:30PM.

All in all, a great stay. It’s always a good stay at this hotel, for me. This was extra good.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 9:36 pm

If anybody stays here game day / game weekend, please report on your experience.

Go 9'ers!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.