Hilton Santa Clara {US-CA}

Old Mar 14, 2005, 5:47 pm

Programs: Lifetime Plat Marriott
Lounge may be closed on weekends....

Originally Posted by brentski
I''ll be staying at the Santa Clara Hilton in the beginning of April and I'm wondering what to expect as far as Hilton's go? Is it nice, has it been upgraded?

I'm also wondering what my chances of getting an upgrade to their 'Concierge' or 'HHonors' floor via my Gold status. (Any helpful advice in getting the upgrade there?)

Any replies would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Brentski
Like an earlier post stated, this is a BUSINESS hotel. I went one weekend w/my husband and saw Maroon 5 and John Mayer at the nearby areaa (Mountain View I think). Anyway, lounge was closed....I was bummed. But we got a drink coupon each and they had a free hot appetizer in the lounge. The b-fast restaurant was very nice. I would go back again...but just don't expect the lounge to be open on the weekend. I know there is an Embassy VERY close by...not sure how it compares price-wise though.

Dawn
Old Mar 14, 2005, 5:50 pm

I've stayed there quite a bit as well and can vouch for this property. The staff seem pretty young and have had some problems recommending evening dining solutions. Last time I was there, however, I was recommended a restaurant near the Marriott and the 101 FW-name escapes me- and it was good Mexican food.

The parking is free and there is a metro-line directly in front of the hotel. First time there, it was suggested that this would be an easy way to get to dwntwn SJ and that was very untrue. SJ is a little rough at night, anyway.

I have called the hotel directly to ask for an upgrade and have been accomodated. The price was dirt and the room was a 2/2 suite. Not bad if you can get it. The room was 712, so manybe all 12's are the same.

There is a large strip mall 10 minutes away if you need provisions.

I recommend this prop, though I saw notice of ownership change when there in Jan.
Old Mar 14, 2005, 6:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Mex restaurant near Marriot is Pedro's - pretty good. If you make a left onto G.A. Parkway, then make a right at Mission College, then go one block and make a left at the light onto ??? you will hit a decent stripmall with a few decent restaurants, movie theatre, Microcenter...about 2 miles tops.

Hotel is nice, as a Gold I got breakfast upstairs in the exec lounge. No upgraded room however (i think they were taken) - i didn't care as i was in the room only a couple of hours other than sleeping.

I'd definitely recommend it, though nothing particular in walking distance. The Westin nearby is also nice, but Hilton is newer.

I've stayed also at the Embassy which is a few blocks south (just over the 101) - also quite nice, not tuite as new but good treatment as a Gold.
Old Mar 15, 2005, 10:35 am

Programs: UA 2P (will be 0P next yr), HH Diamond (thank you Surpass Card!)
Another good restaurant close by is Parcel 104 in the Marriott (a few blocks south on Great America Parkway, just before 101). It is rather expensive, but the food is extremely good (it is a part of Bradley Ogden's Lark Creek restaurant group). Hubby and I often go there for special-occasion dinners.
Old Mar 15, 2005, 1:14 pm

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by ebkeasy
The staff seem pretty young and have had some problems recommending evening dining solutions.

I recommend this prop, though I saw notice of ownership change when there in Jan.
For dining recommendations, go to the lounge off the lobby and ask the bartenders. Generally, Al works Wed/Thurs-Sun and Vicki Mon-Tues/Wed. They come on at 5:00. Al in particular really knows the area well. Tell him what you're looking for and price and he'll provide some recommendations. The food in the hotel is also fairly good, just avoid the New York strip which can be good but is often riddled with gristle.

When ownership changed, all the wines changed in the lounge/restaurant and I still haven't found a favorite.
Old Mar 15, 2005, 4:26 pm

Programs: Lifetime Plat Marriott
If I remember correctly....

Originally Posted by brentski
I''ll be staying at the Santa Clara Hilton in the beginning of April and I'm wondering what to expect as far as Hilton's go? Is it nice, has it been upgraded?

I'm also wondering what my chances of getting an upgrade to their 'Concierge' or 'HHonors' floor via my Gold status. (Any helpful advice in getting the upgrade there?)

Any replies would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Brentski
....someone posted that they rec'd a leather atache(sp?) case for Christmas as a gift from that Hilton because he was a frequent guest. I believe it even had his initials on it. Now THAT is customer service. But I thoroughly believe there is big difference in the staff when it comes to weekends. They don't have a clue re: Gold/Diamonds on the weekends, but I think they really know what service means during the busy week days!

Dawn
Old Mar 15, 2005, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by kymbakitty
....someone posted that they rec'd a leather atache(sp?) case for Christmas as a gift from that Hilton because he was a frequent guest. I believe it even had his initials on it. Now THAT is customer service. But I thoroughly believe there is big difference in the staff when it comes to weekends. They don't have a clue re: Gold/Diamonds on the weekends, but I think they really know what service means during the busy week days!

Dawn
I didn't post (hmmm...maybe I did), but I got the mini-attache filled with very nice, high-end snacks along with a photo of hotel staff signed by each of them. I spend a lot of time there and they take very good care of business guests. One of the most attentive and responsive asst. managers left for Chicago, but the staff here is truly outstanding.
Old Mar 17, 2005, 3:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, Virgin Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Plat
I've stayed at this property about half a dozen times over the last 12 months, including a couple of stays in Jan and Feb this year. My stays have been both weekday and weekend.

To be honest I wouldn't describe this hotel as much more than functional. I have been upgraded to suites on a few ocassions. Week day rates have been similar to those of the Westin across the road, which I have to say, having stayed there too, is much nicer.

As a Diamond I had mineral water in the room and I had free internet access, although suffered from a unstable connection at times. The lounge doesn't score high marks for decor, although unlike other Hiltons (downtown SFO springs to mind) they don't charge for alcoholic beverages.

As already mentioned by a previous FTer the lounge is closed on weekends and this makes the property less attractive, although room rates are considerable lower on weekends. The hotel has a gym with some pretty old eqpt.

I found the weekend staff to be young, disinterested and generally lacking in knowledge of diamond benefits.
Old Jun 22, 2006, 9:16 pm

Programs: Hilton HHonors Gold, Delta Silver Medallion, Hyatt Discoverist
Hilton Santa Clara

Typing away tonight at the Hilton Santa Clara. First time here and I'm mighty impressed, and not just because most of my recent Hilton family stays have been with HI.
Room rather nicely appointed, with couch, 27-inch TV and handsome wood furnishings.
Was able to check in early. As Diamond was upgraded and offered chance of additional amenity (I chose red wine and fruit/cheese plate) that was delivered to room.
Later visited the Executive Lounge, which was remarkable for the fact that beer and wine were available at no charge, as opposed to the usual honor bar thing.
Workout room is better than average, too.
At $159 in the heart of Silicon Valley, a decent value in these parts. Also pays to book well in advance during the week; property is sold out tonight.
Old Jun 23, 2006, 2:40 am

Programs: Hilton, United, Marriott, American
I've stayed at that property several times and have always come away with a great stay. The front desk help and the super are great people and are eager to take care of anything you may need.
The weekend rates are much better,in the $70-$90 per nt.
Still can't beat it regardless when you stay.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 4:29 pm

Hilton Santa Clara Trip Reports and Reviews

Exec lounge always had an egg dish and a potato dish for breakfast. No longer. Vanished about three weeks ago. Now just cereal, bread, fruit, and yogurt.

Given that I've been staying here 50+ nights a year for the last 3-4 years, this is pretty disappointing.
Old Nov 22, 2006, 1:13 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH diamond
Hilton Santa Clara

I'm planning a stay in San Jose next Thursday night with a 9am flight from SJC on Friday morning. I know that the traffic in SJose can be a nightmare, especially during commute hours. What's the average travel time from the Hilton SC to San Jose Airport? Yahoo maps says 20 minutes - is this about right?

Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 22, 2006, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by AK-business-traveler
I'm planning a stay in San Jose next Thursday night with a 9am flight from SJC on Friday morning. I know that the traffic in SJose can be a nightmare, especially during commute hours. What's the average travel time from the Hilton SC to San Jose Airport? Yahoo maps says 20 minutes - is this about right?

Thanks in advance.
I do this all the time (probably spend 50 nights a year at this property). 15-20 minutes sounds about right, but I'm usually flying out very early AM so not much traffic. Head down Great America Parkway, jump on 101 South, get off at 87, the airport exit. Very simple.
Old Nov 22, 2006, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by Chapel Hill Guy
I do this all the time (probably spend 50 nights a year at this property). 15-20 minutes sounds about right, but I'm usually flying out very early AM so not much traffic. Head down Great America Parkway, jump on 101 South, get off at 87, the airport exit. Very simple.
If you want to avoid freeway traffic, you can also travel east on Tasman Drive and turn right at 1st Street to get to the airport. I don't think that would take much longer, but I could be wrong.

Mike
Old Nov 22, 2006, 2:53 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH diamond
thanks gents!

Thanks - 20 min is doable. Just didn't want to get into a bad situation traffic-wise.

How do you like this property? Any tips?

Thanks again.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.