Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton London Canary Wharf {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2018, 2:46 pm

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by chrism20
Maybe I am just cynical, however I think only a full bar service where the measures and quantity consumed are rigourousoy controlled will improve the weekend experience.

I’m surprised they haven’t removed the spirits at the weekends and went to beer and wine only.
Me too, ive been thinking that for a while, the baileys did disappear briefly but is now back, it's probably just a matter of time.....I'm also thinking if they had card entry with the desk actually staffed and room numbers checked !.......it should be staffed regardless due to folk wanting to check in/out ( as advertised on their website)........ there ya go.....I guess we will see.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 4:06 pm

Stayed here once again this weekend.

Booked the cheapest room available on a prepay rate during the HHonors winter sale. Didn't use the OLCI facility but did notice via the app that I had been pre-allocated a “preferred room” in the lowest class. Much more importantly, despite having forgotten to arrange early check in, the room was ready and waiting for me shortly after 10am which I was very pleased with.

Check in was quick and polite, recognition of status and welcomed back by name etc.

Usual dead swan on the bed and a polite note from housekeeping although they did fail to deliver my requested pillows on day one they provided them on day two.

I no longer book lounge access at this hotel and if I was given it I would not use it (I tend to be here at weekends). I checked in at the middle desk in the lobby and couldn't prevent myself from overhearing the conversation that the agent on my left was having with a foreign male tourist. She was aggressively trying to sell him on “Unlimited food and drink in the lounge whenever you want it for your whole stay for Ł35”. When he seemed reluctant she pushed again and again emphasising that “it's definitely worth it when you think about all of the free food and drink, as much as you want, alcohol too”.

So the lounge issues at this hotel continue and assurances that this lounge upselling had stopped at Christmas are clearly untrue as this was just a few days ago. The lounge is shortly closing for refurb which will include access being restricted to key card, but this won't solve anything whilst the cheap upgrades are being oversold. The problem isn't that guests without access are sneaking in, it's that guests are being actively encouraged to exploit the lounge.

Having got that off my chest, I had an excellent stay. I do enjoy my time at this hotel, it's clean it's modern, it's in an amazing area and other than the lounge it has a great feel and the staff are usually very good. It's still one of my favourites.

4.5/5 (Just stop it with the lounge!)
Old Feb 21, 2018, 1:29 am

I don't think the issue is that they are overselling the upgrades, it's more a case of the calibre of guest they are selling them to.

Unless they are selling "Lounge access only" upgrades the numbers would presumably be the same as if the hotel had been full and every lounge access included room had been sold.

The selling it as an all you can eat bar and buffet is the biggest problem along with what would appear to be very little profiling of the guest before pushing it although I acknowledge that profiling doesn't always work. I've seen people come into lounges in the past and thought "They are trouble" then they have sat quietly in the corner through happy hour with nothing stronger than a bottle of sparkling water.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 1:47 am

Originally Posted by TheVengefulTraveller
Stayed here once again this weekend.

Booked the cheapest room available on a prepay rate during the HHonors winter sale. Didn't use the OLCI facility but did notice via the app that I had been pre-allocated a “preferred room” in the lowest class. Much more importantly, despite having forgotten to arrange early check in, the room was ready and waiting for me shortly after 10am which I was very pleased with.

Check in was quick and polite, recognition of status and welcomed back by name etc.

Usual dead swan on the bed and a polite note from housekeeping although they did fail to deliver my requested pillows on day one they provided them on day two.

I no longer book lounge access at this hotel and if I was given it I would not use it (I tend to be here at weekends). I checked in at the middle desk in the lobby and couldn't prevent myself from overhearing the conversation that the agent on my left was having with a foreign male tourist. She was aggressively trying to sell him on “Unlimited food and drink in the lounge whenever you want it for your whole stay for Ł35”. When he seemed reluctant she pushed again and again emphasising that “it's definitely worth it when you think about all of the free food and drink, as much as you want, alcohol too”.

So the lounge issues at this hotel continue and assurances that this lounge upselling had stopped at Christmas are clearly untrue as this was just a few days ago. The lounge is shortly closing for refurb which will include access being restricted to key card, but this won't solve anything whilst the cheap upgrades are being oversold. The problem isn't that guests without access are sneaking in, it's that guests are being actively encouraged to exploit the lounge.

Having got that off my chest, I had an excellent stay. I do enjoy my time at this hotel, it's clean it's modern, it's in an amazing area and other than the lounge it has a great feel and the staff are usually very good. It's still one of my favourites.

4.5/5 (Just stop it with the lounge!)
Thanks for the trip report ( and the other trip reports too, I've enjoyed reading them ) ,...... well I rest my case, it's obvious the cheap upgrades continue as I suspected......why do they choose to lie?......the saga continues!
Old Feb 21, 2018, 2:21 am

Originally Posted by wizla

Thanks for the trip report ( and the other trip reports too, I've enjoyed reading them ) ,...... well I rest my case, it's obvious the cheap upgrades continue as I suspected......why do they choose to lie?......the saga continues!
It's probably easier to fob you off and hope that on your next visit things aren't as bad than actually do something about it.

Sadly nothing significant is going to be done until something bad happens and with reports of racial and aggressive behaviour in recent weeks that probably isn't far off.

@TheVengefulTraveller - welcome to FT, also enjoying your reviews.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 3:49 am

It's probably easier to fob you off and hope that on your next visit things aren't as bad than actually do something about it.

Sadly nothing significant is going to be done until something bad happens and with reports of racial and aggressive behaviour in recent weeks that probably isn't far off.

crazy ain't it?..........it's probably going to cost the hotel more than Ł35 in booze and food with folk abusing the spirits and lost revenue on others never returning........... are they really that delusional?.......never mind.

Last edited by wizla; Feb 21, 2018 at 6:01 am
Old Feb 21, 2018, 4:04 am

Programs: Eurobonus Gold [*AG], Finnair Gold [OWS] HHonors Diamond, Hertz Pres Circle
I'll have a (extended weekend) stay booked adjacent to the refurb of the lounge, I'll let you all know how it turned out-

EK
Old Feb 21, 2018, 6:02 am

Originally Posted by Erikderek_SWE
I'll have a (extended weekend) stay booked adjacent to the refurb of the lounge, I'll let you all know how it turned out-

EK
many thanks......it will be interesting to hear.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by wizla
Thanks for the trip report ( and the other trip reports too, I've enjoyed reading them )
Thanks to you both. I've browsed these forums for a while and gained a lot of valuable knowledge so I thought it was about time I signed up and tried to contribute something.

I think that the disappointing thing is that they can't just be upfront about it. They could just choose to say thanks for your opinion but look this is the business model we are going with, but instead they tell us that the upgrades have stopped and that they care about the issue etc, but its clearly a lie. I don't see how they are making any money on these lounge upgrades anyway when they sell it as an all you can eat and drink party and they are driving away loyal customers to boot.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 5:22 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Radisson Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, Shangri La Jade
I don't think the issue is that they are overselling the upgrades, it's more a case of the calibre of guest they are selling them to.

Unless they are selling "Lounge access only" upgrades the numbers would presumably be the same as if the hotel had been full and every lounge access included room had been sold.

The selling it as an all you can eat bar and buffet is the biggest problem along with what would appear to be very little profiling of the guest before pushing it although I acknowledge that profiling doesn't always work. I've seen people come into lounges in the past and thought "They are trouble" then they have sat quietly in the corner through happy hour with nothing stronger than a bottle of sparkling water.
could do without the classist assumptions of this post tbh
Old Feb 21, 2018, 5:24 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Radisson Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, Shangri La Jade
Also, I stayed in canary wharf on Friday and was in the lounge 4pm-7pm. No bad behaviour witnessed.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 1:19 am

Originally Posted by sarahluv
could do without the classist assumptions of this post tbh
I think I acknowledged very clearly that I had got my assumptions completely wrong, you have no idea how I arrived at my assumptions as I gave absolutely no indication of their appearance/attitude/manner when they walked in the door. Yes it may be wrong but unfortunately it happens and I will not be the only one that does it.

Also, I stayed in canary wharf on Friday and was in the lounge 4pm-7pm. No bad behaviour witnessed.
Glad to hear it, as you can see from the reviews from others it's not been the norm over the last few weeks.
hugolover and wizla like this.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 7:32 am

Programs: Hilton Honors diamond
sarahluv, was the lounge door key operated on Friday/Saturday as they told me they would?
Old Feb 22, 2018, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by Winniesbestfriend

sarahluv, was the lounge door key operated on Friday/Saturday as they told me they would?
Well they lied about the cheap upgrades so place your bets........sarahluv - over to you.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 12:44 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Thought I'd add my thoughts on my recent two visits. I stayed in mid January and also last week. Both on Friday nights.

There was quite a good spread of food in the lounge and it was very busy on both evenings I was there. Same hot food - Fish goujons with chips and some samosas. Last week they had some spring rolls and also some fortune cookies on the front desk which was a nice touch. Last week the lounge was so busy that several people had to wait for a place to sit, and a couple decided to eat and drink on the computer desks. I'd recommend coming at 6pm to be sure of a good place to sit. No rowdy behaviour on either visit luckily. Last week access to the lounge was by keycard in the evening, the door was closed. All other times the door was kept open.

What was good was that they kept refilling food to make sure it didn't run out. Noticed this at afternoon tea and also the evening snacks. Last week there was also a guy making cocktails next to the nespresso machine...although he only had bottles of gin so I guess he was making fancy G&Ts with some bits of fruit in them...the old biddies in the lounge were quite happy slurping them through the happy hour haha They kept opening bottles of cava so that didn't run out. They had baileys on both visits.

Breakfast in the restaurant was good, not too busy. Last week they had glasses of Bucks Fizz which I didn't get during my visit in January.

Last Saturday though there was a noisy trio of office girls having a booked afternoon tea using groupon in the lounge. You could probably hear them cackling down at the reception desks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.