FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Charges to room-do they always count toward points? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/617349-charges-room-do-they-always-count-toward-points.html)

Carolellen607 Oct 26, 06 8:26 am

Charges to room-do they always count toward points?

I just stayed at the Hilton El Conquistador on an award stay. Great time, but I was under the impression that charges to the room counted toward points. I was just told by a customer service rep that at this hotel only room charges count. However since it was an award stay, I had no room charges; just a $50 pet charge. Meanwhile I got 1506 base points. I charged room service, reataurants, spa, golf etc to the room. I thought I would get over 11,000 base points. Is the rep right about only the room charges? If that is the case shouldn't I have only received 500 points? I'm confused. Please help. Thanks.

Techtravler Oct 26, 06 8:47 am

Originally Posted by Carolellen607
I just stayed at the Hilton El Conquistador on an award stay. Great time, but I was under the impression that charges to the room counted toward points. I was just told by a customer service rep that at this hotel only room charges count. However since it was an award stay, I had no room charges; just a $50 pet charge. Meanwhile I got 1506 base points. I charged room service, reataurants, spa, golf etc to the room. I thought I would get over 11,000 base points. Is the rep right about only the room charges? If that is the case shouldn't I have only received 500 points? I'm confused. Please help. Thanks.

I can't speak about this particular hotel, but room charges do normally acru points. My wife even knows to charge her starbucks to the room if the hotel has one.

Bondiboy Oct 26, 06 8:59 am

The "rules" differ between hotels and it is hard to generalise. But I will try.

Generally charges by entities that are PART of and OWNED by the hotel qualify for points. Charges that are simply collected by the hotel on behalf of a contract service (e.g. tours, spas, florists, shops, golf lessons, ski equipment, etc.) are not elgible.

Hyatt make this a little clearer to understand by showing and asterisk (*) alongside such charges at their US properties. This is not so at their international properties and you have to guess - just like Hilton.

Your room service charges should have been elgible.

Flying Lawyer Oct 26, 06 11:04 am

Simply PDF ot Fax the invoice to customer service. They will credit the points correctly (and normally generously).

CO_Bulkhead Oct 26, 06 11:12 am

I was under the impression that all Hilton properties acrue points on all charges and not just room charges. Places like a Hampton Inn however only room charges acrue points.

The rules may be different if you are on a reward stay.

Carolellen607 Oct 26, 06 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
Simply PDF ot Fax the invoice to customer service. They will credit the points correctly (and normally generously).

Thanks Flying Lawyer. You are a genius. After calling again and then being told to call the hotel directly since they are the only ones who can correct your points, I emailed my bill to Hilton Honors. In a couple of hours, I got a response that said your total points will be corrected within 48 hours. I just checked and it is already corrected. (Well almost, about $145 in charges did not credit. I'm guessing this might be for Golf or something else that doesn't get the credit.) In any case, I'm pretty satisfied with the total now. Thanks again for the advice.

bobsyouruncle Oct 26, 06 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by CO_Bulkhead
I was under the impression that all Hilton properties acrue points on all charges and not just room charges. Places like a Hampton Inn however only room charges acrue points.

The rules may be different if you are on a reward stay.

The Doubletree at SeaTac airport won't give you HH points on parking even if you charge it to the room. So apparently the rules are different depending on the property.

infinityplusone Oct 26, 06 8:23 pm

Wirelessly posted (My IV to the Net: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry7250/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

The Drake doesn't give points for parking, on award stays and probably not on paid stays either. But they give points for room service and for any bills from any of their bars / eateries.

Kiwi Flyer Oct 26, 06 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by Bondiboy
The "rules" differ between hotels and it is hard to generalise. But I will try.

Generally charges by entities that are PART of and OWNED by the hotel qualify for points. Charges that are simply collected by the hotel on behalf of a contract service (e.g. tours, spas, florists, shops, golf lessons, ski equipment, etc.) are not elgible.

That is my understanding too. Having said that, plenty of hotels try to avoid giving credit on any charges. If it is only say 300 HHonors points to me it isnt worth the effort to chase up.