Hilton Sandton {ZAF}

Old Jul 4, 2016, 11:17 am

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
As a Gold, should I expect Executive Lounge access?

Is the best option from the airport the train?
Old Feb 9, 2017, 2:37 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Any recent visits to report back on? Hows Dia treatment these days?
Old May 22, 2017, 1:53 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, MM, AS MVP, Lifetime Skyclub, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, National Exec Elite, IHG Gold
Great stay

I did a mileage run to JNB and used points for one night (33,000.) As a diamond, I was upgraded to a suite and granted a late checkout of 6:00 pm as I had a late flight. Very nice of them. Breakfast in the restaurant was very nice. I did not have a chance to use the executive lounge but was granted access. I used uber to and from the hotel to the airport at a cost of $20.00 usd each way.
Old May 24, 2017, 1:43 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Is there a specific pick up point at the airport for Uber?
Old May 24, 2017, 8:50 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, MM, AS MVP, Lifetime Skyclub, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, National Exec Elite, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
Is there a specific pick up point at the airport for Uber?
Funny you mention that.... The driver wanted me to meet in front of the Inter Continental Hotel (Departure level, terminal A.) After leaving customs, you are nearly to terminal B. I ended up going up to the departure level upstars and meeting Uber there. It was really painless. The driver called me to confirm my location and it worked out great. About $20.00 US to the Hilton from JNB.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 11:25 am

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Fairmont Platinum
Quick two night here before Christmas. Diamond on a cash stay $110 USD a night.

Upgraded to 1 bedroom suite on a lower floor. The lounge was closed -- this was supposed to be temporary, but from some comments above it seems to be closed from time to time... so full buffet breakfast in the restaurant was included. For the evenings they have a small reserved section set up in the bar area in the lobby.

In regards to Uber, its upstairs at departures near the restaurant. I tried taxi, Uber and train. Traffic can be a pain and the hotel is located a few blocks from the Sandton train station so I found that was the best option. Taxi was the most expensive, and Uber and train were neck and neck depending on the route the driver took.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 2:28 pm

Programs: QFF LTG , HHD
Originally Posted by MtlFire
In regards to Uber, its upstairs at departures near the restaurant. I tried taxi, Uber and train. Traffic can be a pain and the hotel is located a few blocks from the Sandton train station so I found that was the best option. Taxi was the most expensive, and Uber and train were neck and neck depending on the route the driver took.
Someone who knows the system better than me may comment but it seems to me that the hotel is in cahoots with the taxis to fix prices. This is not uncommon elsewhere and not just in South Africa. If you pick up a taxi at the Sandton Gautrain taxi rank in my experience it will be a lot cheaper than from the hotel.
MtlFire likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Uber works perfectly in ZA; no need to deal with taxi. For my stay in Dec. Uber from the airport to Sandton was around 20 USD in the evening. Uber pick-up point is upstairs at departures level; it is explained to you when using Uber app at the airport - or just ask; no stress.

I didn't stay at the Hilton. The Radisson Blu Gautrain has a better location; just across the street from the Sandton (Gautrain) Station. Gautrain from/airport is ZAR 167 for off-peak travel (including a 16 ZAR fee for the Gautrain card; you can use card again for your next Gautrain trip, but no refund). I would prefer the train but when 2 or more people I would def. use Uber. It is possible to walk from the Sandton St. to Hilton; perfectly safe during daytime.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 10:58 pm

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
A while since we have stayed here. 1 night stay on 23 rd December and another coming up on 8th Jan.
Checked in after our flight from the U.K. Hotel very quiet , no room ready at 1200 so left luggage and happily went off shopping.
Free shuttle to Sandton Mall works really well .
On our return upgraded from suite to terrace suite.
then a first for us , arrived with the porter in the room to notice Lego on the table , half finished ice cream and an in prepared room . Porter did not know what to do so we rang down and were told to wait in the room and they would investigate . We did not seem believed . 15 mins on and we found some one from house keeping outside the room . She was horrified and took us back to the front desk . No body seemed sure what to do . Told to wait in exec lounge which we did for 40 mins and then porter came back up and advised us they had found a new room for us and he would shift bags . All ended fine but was handled badly and no manager around . No apology except from the porter.

rooms are tired but comfy and I certainly would not pay extra for an exec terrace suite . They just have a small grubby terrace with low table .

Exec lounge , one staff who was an absolute delight . Decent snacks 2 hot dishes , free pour wine and spirits on individual request . Afternoon tea very basic .

Breakfast was good downstairs , the manned juice bar a nice touch . All staff were lovely if a bit ineffective at times .
Old May 9, 2019, 2:43 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Good service and still a good property

Hilton Sandton

Map| 2 Reviews | 100% Recommended

Hilton Sandton

138 Rivonia Road Sandton Johannesburg, ZA

Good service and still a good property (9 Photos)

Hilton Sandton

The last time I stayed at this property was more than 10 years ago.  I don't remember how it was but I was expecting the hotel to be out of date, but was surprised that they have upkept the hotel with times - so I see it as a grand dame.

The hotel is located close to the financial center and newish shopping/office complex.  It is about 15 mins walk from the Gautrain station to the hotel - more or less doable if you have rollerbags.  However if you can get the timing correct - you can hop on the shuttle [which leaves every .15 and .45 from the drop off area of the Gautrain].  I forgot to check on this beforehand - so I did the walk to the hotel.  

In general it is quite a centrally located property.  The hotel does have a shuttle every half hour from the hotel to the Gautrain station and Nelson Mandela square [which now has a larger shopping complex build adjoining to it].  

Check In

I arrived late in the afternoon - was helped immediately at the special HHonors elite line [was called to that line when I arrived].  Check-in was fast and efficient.  I had initialy a connecting room booking - but did request to have it separated - which was met and 1 room was upgraded to a corner suite and the other room a deluxe king.  A run down of the hotel facilities and lounge hours was provided.

Room

Due to the structure of how the hotel is [tower like], rooms are basically divided into different 'fingers'.  Each finger/branch has about 10 rooms.  The suite I was allocated was well sized with 2 separate rooms, a living room and a bedroom separated by a wall and door.  

The living room area was well sized with a large sofa and TV/bar area where the fridge and tea making facilities were located.  They did provide 4 large bottles of water.

The bedroom was also well sized, I believe it was very close to the size of a normal room as it consisted of the bed and a small sitting area.  There was a 2nd tv in the room [but a much smaller size compared to the living room].  The window in the bedroom was much larger and provided a nice view towards the neighbouring park and beyond towards the outskirts of Sandton.  There was also a working desk in the bedroom with sufficient outlets - consisting of an international version.

Bathroom size was ok - i believe it is the same size as the normal deluxe rooms.  There was a bathtub and a walk-in shower.  Size of the bathroom was ok.  Toiletries were the normal current Crabtree & Evelyn products.  

Internet connection and speed was relatively fast and stable.  TV channels were the standard international selections.  The air conditioning worked fine and luckily again at high setting - not too much fan noise could be heard.  Noise disturbance from both outside and within was good - could be because the room was at the end of the finger, it had little foot traffic from guests.  Bed was comfortable and good.

All in all, was happy with the room - it was well upkept and seems fairly recently updated.

Hil_bathroom.jpgHil_bed1.jpgHil_bed2.jpgHil_bed3.jpgHil_bed4.jpghil_view.jpg

Executive Lounge

The lounge was located at the highest floor of the hotel.  There is a service desk [unmanned when I visited] before the entrance to the lounge.  To access the lounge, one will need to enter with your key card.

From what I was informed, the lounge does have breakfast, tea time and canape/happy hour services.  I only visited the lounge during the happy hour.  The service during the canape session was good - there were a number of finger food and what I would say a mini version of main dishes.  It caters to both vegetarian and non-vegetarian.  Drinks selections were good - with 2 different reds, 2 whites and 1 brut and the normal stronger drinks.  There were 2-3 servers which does do a table service.  

The lounge is not that big, but seems to be sufficient even during the busier times.  

Hil_lounge.jpgHil_lounge2.jpg

Breakfast

I had breakfast in the main restaurant of the hotel which is located one floor up from the lobby at the same level of the meeting rooms.  

Breakfast selection was ok - a mix of western, asian and local dishes.  There was also a fruit juice station and an egg station.  Service was friendly and dishes seems to be replenished on time. They do bring the different individually ordered items to your table.

All in all a good breakfast experience.

Pool

I did visit the pool the next day, had wanted to maybe take a dip, but since temperature was still not that tropical, the pool temperature was on the cooler side.  However the pool area was very well done and does give a sense of tranquility.  There was a larger garden courtyard down some steps next to the pool area.  

Hil_pool.jpg

Overall

All in all, am surprised that even though the hotel has been there for such a long time, management has kept the hotel to standard.  Staff were in general friendly.  Will surely return to this property if I return to the area.

Good service and still a good property

Would you like to write a review on the Hilton Sandton?

No, thank you.
Yes
NoY and Jaimito Cartero like this.
Old May 9, 2019, 11:04 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by nldogbert
However if you can get the timing correct - you can hop on the shuttle [which leaves every .15 and .45 from the drop off area of the Gautrain]. I forgot to check on this beforehand - so I did the walk to the hotel.
Since the Gautrain became operational, one simply phones the hotel from the station and they send a shuttle. Has this changed?

Check In I arrived late in the afternoon - was helped immediately at the special HHonors elite line [was called to that line when I arrived].
Did the hotel know you were entitled to use the line, or was that simply the next available agent?

I had initialy a connecting room booking - but did request to have it separated - which was met and 1 room was upgraded to a corner suite and the other room a deluxe king.
Curious why you first requested connecting rooms and then later decided on separate rooms?

Due to the structure of how the hotel is [tower like], rooms are basically divided into different 'fingers'.
At only six floors, I wouldn't call it a tower. Arranging a hotel in wings is fairly common (and true tower properties are sometimes arranged in wings and other times as a monolithic block).

The lounge is not that big, but seems to be sufficient even during the busier times.
This is, obviously, highly dependent on occupancy. When the hotel is quite full, such as when a conference is there, the lounge fills up quickly with no available seats, and there are waits for tables at the restaurant. When occupancy is low, the lounge and restaurant are often very empty. During periods of very low occupancy, such as New Year's when everyone leaves J'burg for the Cape, the lounge is typically closed, with substitute offerings in the bar.

I did visit the pool the next day, had wanted to maybe take a dip, but since temperature was still not that tropical, the pool temperature was on the cooler side.
The pool has never been heated, so even during late summer the water temperature is on the cold side. (I've swum laps even in winter, but had to sit in the sauna afterwards to warm up.)
Old May 9, 2019, 12:52 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by anabolism
Since the Gautrain became operational, one simply phones the hotel from the station and they send a shuttle. Has this changed?
Well, I did not do my homework too well this time - so upon arriving from the Gautrain from Park Station - I did not even know that they had a shuttle and from the map, it looked walkable so I just did that.

Did the hotel know you were entitled to use the line, or was that simply the next available agent?
Normally when there are no lines waiting, I will just wait for the next available agent to call me - so this time is was just pure co-incidence.

Curious why you first requested connecting rooms and then later decided on separate rooms?
I had a reservation booked for 3 adults, and it automatically made the reservation as 2 rooms connecting - however I would have preferred 2 separate rooms and of course hoping for a higher chance of an upgrade for 1 of the rooms [although another guest is a Diamond member too - although info was not in the reservation]

This is, obviously, highly dependent on occupancy. When the hotel is quite full, such as when a conference is there, the lounge fills up quickly with no available seats, and there are waits for tables at the restaurant. When occupancy is low, the lounge and restaurant are often very empty. During periods of very low occupancy, such as New Year's when everyone leaves J'burg for the Cape, the lounge is typically closed, with substitute offerings in the bar.
True - although this time even with those conference rooms occupied the next day - noticed lots of people on that floor - the lounge did not get filled up. But indeed, if the executive floor is sold out or there's lots of eligible guests, it will be quite a nightmare.

The pool has never been heated, so even during late summer the water temperature is on the cold side. (I've swum laps even in winter, but had to sit in the sauna afterwards to warm up.)
This is a pity, I had assumed that during peak summer, the water temperature will be much warmer. Seems such a waste as I found it to be a nice pool area to spend the afternoon.
Old May 9, 2019, 5:20 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
I had a reservation booked for 3 adults, and it automatically made the reservation as 2 rooms connecting - however I would have preferred 2 separate rooms and of course hoping for a higher chance of an upgrade for 1 of the rooms [although another guest is a Diamond member too - although info was not in the reservation]
I often want two connecting rooms, but have always started the booking by indicating two rooms. Done that way, they are never automatically connecting, that always has to be specifically requested.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 3:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Is there executive lounge access / free breakfast for Gold members in this hotel ?
Old Nov 9, 2022, 8:01 am

Programs: BA Bronze, HH Diamond, A-Club Plat, Club Carlson Gold Elite, Marriott Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador
Any recent visitors to the Hilton Sandton?

My last visit was pre-COVID and I'm wondering whether anything has changed recently.

Thanks,

Chris

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.