Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Sandton {ZAF}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2009, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by doglover
Good luck getting the exec floor unless you pay for it.
It's only one night so I'm not too bothered about an exec floor room. I'm diamond so I should at least get lounge access.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 1:04 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
I stayed at the Hilton Sandton (Johannesburg) this past week. At check-in I was informed that it was the hotel's policy to only upgrade Diamond members, not Gold. I argued for 20 minutes, produced the printout of the HHonors policy for room upgrades and executive lounge access and got Hilton worldwide reservations on the phone who confirmed king bed availability on the executive floor. Eventually, and very reluctantly, I got my upgrade. The duty manager told me that he has had this issue with other Gold guests but has been instructed by the general manager to only upgrade Diamonds.

The general manager's email address is [email protected]. Some may be interested in emailing the gentleman pointing out their dissatisfaction at this information and/or seeking clarification.

Last edited by danger; Apr 7, 2010 at 1:51 am
Old Apr 7, 2010, 6:04 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

After emailing Axel I received this response:
Dear Danger

Thank you for your email concerning your recent stay with us.

I would like to extend a sincere apology for the problems encountered upon your check in. Please rest assured that I have addressed this issue with the team members concerned and corrective action has been taken accordingly. We are also scheduling refresher training on Hilton HHonors as a matter of urgency for all team members as we have had a few new starters lately and we need to ensure that all team members are fully and properly versed on the benefits of the program.

Please rest assured that we do in fact upgrade our Gold members as per policy and should you be returning to Hilton Sandton in future, please don't hesitate to make your reservation through my office and I will ensure you receive an upgrade to the Executive Floor should our occupancy level permit. Furthermore, by way of apology, I am arranging for 10.000 points to be credited to your Hilton HHonors account.

Thank you again for taking the time to write to us as it is only through feedback such as yours that we are able to improve our standards and service delivery.

Yours sincerely,

Axel Hauser
General Manager
Hilton Sandton
South Africa
Old Apr 7, 2010, 6:47 pm

Programs: HHonors, Hyatt GP, Marriott, Varying Levels w/ UA /AF /DL /SQ /AA
Sounds like Mr. Hauser gave a decent response.
Old May 1, 2010, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by Eugene
Keep in mind that the exchange rate of Rand to $ changed dramatically (not quite doubled, but close to that, the lowest I recall being about 12 Rand for 1 $, now about 6.5). Also, depending on the travel dates, I can see rates as low as $134 for June 2004 ("Weekend in Style", including full breakfast and late checkout).
I'll be staying here on a four night point stretcher in May if anyone has any recent stories. I am a new HH diamond, and this will be my first time trying it out.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 6:07 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

The Executive Lounge at this property will be closed from 16 December 2010 to 9 January 2011.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 7:24 pm

Programs: Honors Diamond; AA Ex Plat; AS MVP 75K
Has anyone been to this property recently. I have a trip to SA planned in August which includes a couple of nights in the Johannesburg Hilton. I got an absolute steal (or so I hope) of 18,000 points/night for the Royal suite. Unfortunately I don't know much about the hotel or the suite. Anyone have recent reports?
Old Jul 23, 2011, 7:44 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Amex Centurion
I spent a couple of months at Hilton Sandton in the latter half of last year. It is a good property. Each week I was upgraded to a junior suite, which is nice. It is conveniently located in Sandton and was a short drive to my work each day. The food is not amazing, but there are plenty of good restaurants near the hotel.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 4:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Looking for recent stays and reviews of this property am planning to be in jnb in early December. What best transfer method to and from airport with luggage.

Thanks
Old Jun 10, 2012, 8:32 pm

Programs: UA Gold-1MM, Hhonors Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold
Originally Posted by worldiswide
Looking for recent stays and reviews of this property am planning to be in jnb in early December. What best transfer method to and from airport with luggage.

Thanks
You can pre-arrange with the hotel to be picked up at the airport or you can take the train. See the thread --
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/afric...b-sandton.html
Old Jun 11, 2012, 9:19 pm

Does hotel have wireless? Looked on the website and looked like wired was free in room
Old Jul 3, 2012, 2:40 am

Programs: BA Gold, BMI Gold, IC Amb and Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by worldiswide
Does hotel have wireless? Looked on the website and looked like wired was free in room
Yes it has wireless and free for diamonds, not fantastic speed, but OK. Works in the lounge too when you move about.

Oh and love the access system for it - you have to phone the business centre for a password! If anyone tells me "this is Africa" one more time GGRRRRR............
Old Jul 3, 2012, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by anothersuitcase
Yes it has wireless and free for diamonds, not fantastic speed, but OK. Works in the lounge too when you move about.

Oh and love the access system for it - you have to phone the business centre for a password! If anyone tells me "this is Africa" one more time GGRRRRR............
Thanks for the information. Do you know if you can access more than one device per room. Any other comments/impressions of the hotel to share?
Old Jul 8, 2012, 1:36 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by anothersuitcase

I didn't mind calling the business center every day for a code, because I loved how they used animal names for the disambiguators ("L for Lion, E for Elephant, ...")

[of course it isn't really 'L' for lion, but rather 'L' as in lion, but I'm embarrassed that I notice such arcane things]
Old Jan 7, 2014, 9:16 am

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Any recent experiences with the executive lounge, and the potential for a Diamond upgrade and restaurant breakfast with a points and cash reservation?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.