Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Conrad Bali {IDN}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2019, 10:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by noddie09

These guys are working around the clock it would appear. We woke up for sunrise yoga today and there was workers banging away at 6am.

Hopefully by April it should all be complete but I will ask resverations for you when we check out
Thanks so much!
Old Feb 22, 2019, 8:03 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold

These guys are working around the clock it would appear. We woke up for sunrise yoga today and there was workers banging away at 6am.

Hopefully by April it should all be complete but I will ask resverations for you when we check out
Thanks for checking, and yes please update us on their construction schedule on your way out. Heading there in early May and really hoping it's not how you describe.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by anabolism
How long was the drive each way? How do you arrange for an Uber driver to wait and keep the meter running?
I just booked Uber on app to go to Uluwatu but on the way, I asked if he would like to just keep the meter running and take me back as well and he was able to. That was 2 years ago. I’ve since got to know a Uber driver very well and she takes me everywhere for a fixed fee (she stopped doing Uber, apparently the taxi drivers are very aggressive towards them). Let me know if you want the contact details as she’s very reliable, speaks well and charges fair prices (a bit more than standard Uber but not by much).
Old Feb 22, 2019, 11:22 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by Aeolus

I just booked Uber on app to go to Uluwatu but on the way, I asked if he would like to just keep the meter running and take me back as well and he was able to. That was 2 years ago. I’ve since got to know a Uber driver very well and she takes me everywhere for a fixed fee (she stopped doing Uber, apparently the taxi drivers are very aggressive towards them). Let me know if you want the contact details as she’s very reliable, speaks well and charges fair prices (a bit more than standard Uber but not by much).
Thanks, that's great to know (I never would have thought it possible). Sure, please do pass on her contact info.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by anabolism
Thanks, that's great to know (I never would have thought it possible). Sure, please do pass on her contact info.
Happy to help. Send me a PM and I'll reply with her contact details. I've also just WhatsApp her for rates from Conrad to Uluwatu for you.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 11:46 pm

Regarding renovation, I was there in Dec and Feb. If your room is on the East Wing and if you are using the lagoon pool, you won't even know there's any renovation. I also spent some time in the main pool area as well and didn't notice the construction noise, otherwise I would have moved myself to the Suites pool. The renovation is in the middle section of the resort and you'll definitely notice it as you walk to the Suites side.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 2:22 am

Programs: United Premier 1k, Hertz Presidents Circle, Hilton Diamond
I'm going to be there in 3 weeks, should I request a room in the east wing?
Old Feb 26, 2019, 1:05 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, NZ Gold, BA Gold
Morning all from a very sunny London! After a lovely 5 days at the Conrad Bali, my overall thoughts are very positive. On check out I discovered that the hotel was at 75% occupancy and the reason it felt so empty was that there was several conferences taking place. Sadly for those of you with upcoming reservations, it appears the construction will be on going until May at the very minimum.

It appears the project has fallen well behind and I was informed several times it should have been completed after Christmas. My only advice I can give you is to ask for a room away from the construction (East wing as mentioned above) or bite the bullet and pay for a room upgrade to the suites (West wing). All the construction is isolated to the middle block and there were several workers around the main pool each day. Not only would an upgrade to the suites get you in to the west wing but it would also give you access to the suites pool if you are not a diamond member.

Finally, I have noticed several comments about drivers and uber etc! Grab is the app to use in Asia (Exact same as Uber) however there is far more drivers using Grab as opposed to Uber. To give you an example, we paid 105,000 Rupiah from the Conrad back to the airport @ 22.00

Any questions please ask away
Sinter likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 10:02 pm

Morning all from a very sunny London! After a lovely 5 days at the Conrad Bali, my overall thoughts are very positive. On check out I discovered that the hotel was at 75% occupancy and the reason it felt so empty was that there was several conferences taking place. Sadly for those of you with upcoming reservations, it appears the construction will be on going until May at the very minimum.

It appears the project has fallen well behind and I was informed several times it should have been completed after Christmas. My only advice I can give you is to ask for a room away from the construction (East wing as mentioned above) or bite the bullet and pay for a room upgrade to the suites (West wing). All the construction is isolated to the middle block and there were several workers around the main pool each day. Not only would an upgrade to the suites get you in to the west wing but it would also give you access to the suites pool if you are not a diamond member.

Finally, I have noticed several comments about drivers and uber etc! Grab is the app to use in Asia (Exact same as Uber) however there is far more drivers using Grab as opposed to Uber. To give you an example, we paid 105,000 Rupiah from the Conrad back to the airport @ 22.00

Any questions please ask away

Thanks for that Noddie. I am checking in 24th May for 9 nights so looks like I will be line ball with the construction timeline. I am a Diamond so will have use of the suites pool, however the room will be a lottery unless I upgrade.

Is there any impact at all around the suites rooms or pool with regards to noise or purely if using the main pool?

Its been around 6 years since I was last there so my memory is foggy with regards to the layout.
noddie09 likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 10:58 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
There is no more Uber in SE Asia. They sold their operations to Grab for a stake in the company or so.

Anyways, use Grab, Gojek or Bluebird (taxi company) app. If you want to go Ubud, better book a car for several hours / a day as in Ubud area all the ride hailing and even taxi firms are almost impossible to book as it is a stronghold of local driver "consortium" who charge 3-5x normal fares and are quite hostile to ride hailing drivers.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 12:56 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, NZ Gold, BA Gold
The room will be a lottery but a lot of the Diamond members we met during cocktail hour had been upgraded to suites (ourselves included). The hotel is very aware of the construction and it looks like offering upgrades has kept many elite members happy.

In regards to the noise, there is no impact around the suites rooms or pool. The main pool however is very noisy and we could heard drilling throughout the day (At breakfast, lunch and when using the main pool). We quickly learnt to stay away from the main building.

Hopefully with a bit of luck, everything will nearly be finished by the time of your visit.

Enjoy
Old Mar 7, 2019, 1:18 am

Been here since the 3rd of March and checking out on the 8th. So far we’ve experienced a very subpar stay even with diamond benefits.

Booked originally a room with king bed however upon check in was upgraded to a lagoon room with two twins... complained as we only wanted a king bed. Check in took over 2 hours due to them not having any other king rooms or suites besides the Conrad suites left. Due to the renovations, lots of the rooms are blocked on in wing 3. They offered upgrade to lowest Conrad suites with king for $120/USD night. No way was I paying that. I pulled up the website and searched my whole stay, and was offered every type of king room for booking. Even showing them that, they said the website was wrong and there were no available rooms such at that. After two hours of talking with them, they finally offered to just move me to a Conrad suite king for no cost. Not the best way to start our Conrad stay.

After checkin, things continued to stay not great. Our suite had many non functioning power outlets and required a visit from engineering. They were unable to fix the outlets, so they provided a power bar to use with the only working outlet. More power issues followed with 2 power outages that evening.

Food at the resort has been a mixed bag. The breakfast buffet has been very average, but can’t complain since it’s included with Diamond benefits. Rin (Japanese restaurant) was very subpar for the two meals we ate there. We ended up receiving a comped meal at Suku for dinner one night with all the issues we’ve experienced. Room service meal last night however was above average and I quite enjoyed the carbonara pasta.

Afternoon tea and the cocktail hours have been awesome for snacks and drinks... it’s a must do everyday in my opinion. Rin although much quieter than the lobby lounge, feels way too cramped and dark for my liking. Enjoy your afternoon tea in East If you can.

Further to the dining situation... restaurant availability has been very poor especially with Spice not open. Nyepi day is today and there will be only one restaurant open for dinner (Suku), which I totally understand. However Rin is closed for dinner on the 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9... and The beach front restaurant closed on the 5, 6 and 7 for dinner. The limited options was disappointing. I understand closures on the 7th... but the other days is unacceptable to me. Resort occupancy seems REALLY low and I think that contributes to lack of dining options. The biggest annoyance is how they didn’t announce these dining news till the morning of the 5th.

As for the room... it’s alright. Great size and nice bedroom/en-suite. However the entire look is a little tired and needs a refresh similar to the newly renovated rooms. Can’t complain for the free upgrade. Sadly with all the dining closures, the Conrad suites wing feels really far away feom
eberything. Not having breakfast in rin anymore is a big walk every morning too.

Last big negative. We got stuck in a elevator (near the spa) that was being finicky for most of our stay. However the last time we’ve used it... it lost power and we were stuck in it for a few minutes. I had to pry the doors open to get out and my girlfriend was quite shaken up due to claustrophobia in the dark/heat. Complained to the hotel and the response was “oh. Sorry, we’ll have someone take a look at it”. Not great.

If I had the choice, I will likely look elsewhere over the Conrad Bali. The stay was “just fine” in almost every way except for the issues we’ve had. With all the competition in Bali for resorts, we expected at least something above average and didn’t get anywhere near that. Considering the brand... we hoped for more. Maybe I was just jaded after spending the week prior at the St. Regis Bali
Last note... construction noise has been very notiaceble from our suite.... doesn’t look anywhere close to being done.

Last edited by Canarsie; Apr 24, 2019 at 12:57 am Reason: Consolidation.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 5:24 am

Do they still use their own inferior bath amenities instead of the standard Shanghai Tang/Refinery?
Old Mar 7, 2019, 5:59 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by glendroid
Maybe I was just jaded after spending the week prior at the St. Regis Bali
Maybe that should have been your opening sentence, rather than the last sentence
Old Mar 7, 2019, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK

A final word on Uber and Indonesia and (most of) the rest of SE Asia.

UBER NO LONGER OPERATES HERE
and hasn't done for quite some time

So install the Grab app and put your credit card on it. The app operates much like the Uber one.

An alternative, often a tad cheaper, is Gojek - but for most of us cash will be the single payment option here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.