FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Hilton Dublin Kilmainham {IRL} (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/608751-hilton-dublin-kilmainham-irl.html)

bbkenney Oct 3, 2006 5:13 pm

Hilton Dublin Kilmainham {IRL}

I was tooling around the Hilton website today making some reservations for Dublin and one of the places listed was the "Hilton Kilmainham". It cannot be booked yet. The implication was that this was a completely new hotel but could have meant only new to Hilton.

Does anyone know anything about this location?

swaluvr Oct 3, 2006 8:15 pm

If the property is near old Kilmainham gaol, it's south of the Liffey and west of the "main" part of the city. It would be near the Royal Hospital and the Museum of Modern Art.

We were in Dublin in April, visited the gaol, and I did notice a lot of construction around there--don't know if any of it was destined to be a Hilton property, or not.

Rae

PD Oct 10, 2006 2:19 pm

Read about it here:
http://www.ehotelier.com/browse/news_item.php?id=P9311

TMK May 21, 2007 5:57 pm

Dublin Kilmainham - Executive Lounge?

I'm sorry if this has been asked and answered, but does the Kilmainham have an Executive Lounge? I've stayed at Dublin City and I know that property does not (but is somewhat better located than the Kilmainham).

Thanks in advance -

hserus May 21, 2007 9:13 pm

They'll probably tell you the lounge is located right next door - in Kilmainham Gaol :)

travisw Dec 13, 2007 9:40 pm

Has anyone stayed at this property who could provide a short trip report?

JAP Dec 14, 2007 9:13 am

Originally Posted by travisw (Post 8893047)
Has anyone stayed at this property who could provide a short trip report?

Just returned from this Hilton. I have stayed there a couple of times in the past couple of months.

Hotel is located close enough to Heuston Train Station, where I arrive from Cork. If the weather is fine, I usually walk to the hotel - about 20-25 mins, but not recommended if you have a lot of luggage. Otherwise, a taxi from the train station will be about €5-6 or so.

On arrival, the bar / restaurant is to your left through clear glass from the lobby, but I have not sampled either ...

The lifts are access controlled, in that you can only access the reception level and car park without a keycard. Otherwise, insert your keycard in the slot, and then press your floor # to get to your room.

As HH Diamond, I have been offered an "upgraded" room or breakfast, not both :(. I will typically take the better room, as I'm not much of a breakfast person... My suggestion is to go for a high floor (there are 5 total) and a room with x24, 26, 28 or similar numbers to give you a beautiful view out across the west of the city.

There is no Executive Lounge in this property, but I am usually provided with some nice amenities as Diamond - 1/4 btl wine, fruit, water & small box of 2 chocs.

Room service is generally very good quality, and arrives quickly.

The rooms themselves tend to be a little warm for my tastes, even using the A/C at its lowest ... You certainly won't get US-cold a/c temp out of it... And the rooms that I have been in don't have any windows, so no other way to cool the room more.

BTW don't forget to put your keycard in the slot when you enter the room to activate all the lighting & a/c. (I usually put an old FF Card in the slot when I'm going out, as otherwise the a/c turns off when you remove the room card, and I would then return to a stuffy room.....)

Staff generally fairly competent and welcoming. Small businesss centre with PCs and internet access as well as the normal services.

WiFi in the rooms, as well as wired internet BB, at the normal rip-off rates here in Europe (€20 per day I think ...)

Bed v comfortable and bathroom nice - not huge, but ok for size. Combined bath & shower.

Good TV & movie selection, and widescreen TV. Must be about 26"

Any more Qs - I'll be happy to answer if I can.

P.S. Traffic in the morning can be a bit manic around the Hilton if you have your own car. I use taxis all the time, so they can use bus lanes and tend to get around much better.

travisw Dec 14, 2007 9:02 pm

thanks, that's quite helpful!

Markieg Feb 26, 2008 6:44 pm

Can anyone advice the proximity of this/other dublin properties to Griffith Conference Centre please?
Secondary issue - best/quickest/cheapest travel method from the airport please?

Markieg Mar 3, 2008 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by Markieg (Post 9320323)
Can anyone advice the proximity of this/other dublin properties to Griffith Conference Centre please?
Secondary issue - best/quickest/cheapest travel method from the airport please?

please????

hserus Mar 3, 2008 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by Markieg (Post 9351987)
please????

About 10 minutes by taxi from Griffithsi, not sure about buses.

And from the airport - taxi again, or you could take a bus downtown and then cab it from there.

Markieg Mar 6, 2008 5:13 pm

thanks!

Just found that there is a tram system - the nline map is not helpful for an outsider - is this any help for the hilton properties? btw, probably looking at main Hilton now due to sold out dates at Kil ..
thanks,
Markieg

UK2USFlier Mar 31, 2008 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by JAP (Post 8895008)
My suggestion is to go for a high floor (there are 5 total) and a room with x24, 26, 28 or similar numbers to give you a beautiful view out across the west of the city.

One small word of warning - and I can only speak for room 328 - the architect saw fit to festoon the hotel with some sort of chicken wire that rattles to the point of intense annoyance, especially when it's as windy as it is in Dublin tonight.

I've switched rooms, to x18, and whilst the chicken wire is still there, the noise is not. I also learnt a new phrase in what I suspect was one of the Eastern European languages, which translates roughly as "I'd like to get the £*^$)"*"&&" architect to sleep in that room!"

You have been warned!

And I guess I'm not the only one that thinks this way: see here

Oh, and the pool tiles needed to be replaced in this eight month old building, hence the pool is out of action ... I'm about to cancel booking #2 for the end of April.

servus Jun 1, 2009 2:16 pm

Any recent updates? I'll be staying at the Kilmainham next weekend.

Zurich Flyer Jul 10, 2011 8:47 am

Originally Posted by TMK (Post 7774827)
I'm sorry if this has been asked and answered, but does the Kilmainham have an Executive Lounge? I've stayed at Dublin City and I know that property does not (but is somewhat better located than the Kilmainham).

Thanks in advance -

Unfortunately, the Kilmainham has no lounge either. And to make things even worse, they don't even provide you with some diamond extras. All you get is one bottle of tap water in a "hilton kilmainham" bottle. :td::td::td: Shame on them. Also this Hilton is a no-go for me :mad: