Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Oregon, USA {US-OR}

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Oregon, USA {US-OR}

Old Oct 2, 03, 10:25 pm
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Visit the Chinese Gardens. If you like to shop, Oregon has no sales tax and there is a large mall a few blocks from the Hilton.
Old Oct 2, 03, 11:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA*G MM, HH Dia, Hyatt Expl, MR Gold, IHG Plat
I can definitely recommend the Embassy Suites, a 91-year-old historic property that used to be the Hotel Multnomah. My top-floor view room featured a fascinating hardcover book on the hotel's early years, in addition to the Embassy Touch amenity pack. The lobby is dramatic. The Manager's Reception and breakfast take place in an elaborate basement grotto with beautiful wall paintings and fountains, again dating from the hotel's early years. Striking earthenware plates are provided for the breakfast buffet, which includes specials like quiche and bread pudding. The hotel's street-level restaurant and bar are excellent, reasonably priced, popular with locals, and open late.

The hotel is within a couple of blocks of MAX.
Old Oct 2, 03, 11:14 pm
Original Poster

Location: Southern California - UA1K, Delta GM, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, AA Platinum
I would second not staying at the Hilton .. it is mediocre... I did enjoy some Hilton's so I am not Hilton bashing (ie the Hilton Milenium in NYC is awesome!! as is Cancun).. But for Portland, I highly recommend the Westin (I know Starwood).. the hotel is pretty amazing and comfortable... if you cna get a good deal.. snag it!!

Good luck!
Old Oct 2, 03, 11:48 pm

We stayed at the Hilton Garden Inns at the Airport and in Beaverton.

They were both fabulously cheap, offered us a full hot breakfast, and were so much more quiet than a typical Embassy Suites.

You will, however, need a car for these choices! But, considering the hotels were only $55/night, we could easily afford the flexibility of a car!!!

http://www.hiltongardeninn.com/en/gi...tyhocn=PDXAHGI

and

http://www.hiltongardeninn.com/en/gi...tyhocn=PDXBHGI

[This message has been edited by BumpMe! (edited 10-02-2003).]
Old Oct 2, 03, 11:48 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tayd:
How about the Doubletree Downtown at 310 SW Lincoln? Their "NET DIRECT RATES" is $99.95.
</font>
If you're going to be relying on MAX/Tri-Met, I would eschew the Doubletree Downtown, as it is on the very southernmost border of downtown, in a nice enough area that would require a ~10 minute bus ride to/from the Red Line. It's a decent-enough property, but it regularly accepts $32 bids on Priceline, and is thus not worth $99 on an off-season weekend, as well, IMHO.

I would consider the Doubletree Portland Lloyd Center, as it is a ~10 minute MAX ride into downtown Portland, is right on the Airport MAX line, and can often be booked quite inexpensively on the weekends - I would call the property directly and see what you can do. (They also have accepted $32 bids on PL of late).

I would second the Embassy Suites Portland Downtown as being both lovely and having a way-above-average ES breakfast, but given your departure times, it is, perhaps, not meaningful. There are two HH properties at the airport, the Embassy Suites (overrun with kids on the weekends, about a two-block walk to the MAX line to downtown, but pleasant enough) and a Hampton Inn, also on airport property. Both have shuttles to the airport. I haven't stayed at the Hampton in a few years, but others who have describe it as about par for the course.

There's a Sunday MAX Light Rail schedule at http://www.trimet.org/schedule/h/t1100_0.htm - it looks like an early departure time from PDX is really no barrier. The trains do run on time, as a rule.

Bon Voyage
Eric

[This message has been edited by VibeGuy (edited 10-02-2003).]

[This message has been edited by VibeGuy (edited 10-02-2003).]
Old Oct 2, 03, 11:57 pm

Oopsie. Dupe.

[This message has been edited by VibeGuy (edited 10-03-2003).]
Old Oct 3, 03, 6:49 am

Put me in the minority, I think the downtown Hilton is a nice property (at least the towers section is, the original hotel building looked a little run down). As a gold, I was upgraded to the towers building (prior to arrival, it was reflected in my online reservation) and given breakfast coupons for the restaurant downstairs. The location is within walking distance to mass transit.

I also recommend the Chinese Gardens and there is an open air market (I do not know what days this is open). If you end up renting a car, I suggest going to the Japanese Gardens.
Old Oct 3, 03, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: statusless these days
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by BumpMe!:
We stayed at the Hilton Garden Inns at the Airport and in Beaverton.

They were both fabulously cheap, offered us a full hot breakfast, and were so much more quiet than a typical Embassy Suites.</font>
Sounds good. I have a reservation at the latter for a week after tayd stays. Only $47!
Old Oct 3, 03, 11:20 am

Programs: Status? What's that? :)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by terenz:
Sounds good. I have a reservation at the latter for a week after tayd stays. Only $47!</font>
Is that $47 rate from Priceline.com or some other sites? HHonors.com [booking direct to get the 1000 bonus HHonors points) is coming back with $81-85 for the lowest rates.
Old Oct 3, 03, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: statusless these days
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tayd:
Is that $47 rate from Priceline.com or some other sites? HHonors.com [booking direct to get the 1000 bonus HHonors points) is coming back with $81-85 for the lowest rates.</font>
Hilton.com (Beaverton HGI) for Saturday 8 Nov. $47.20 (AAA rate). Being on the other side of Portland from PDX, I wouldn't stay there with a pre 7am departure. I guess you were checking the PDX HGI which is not cheap.
Old Oct 3, 03, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by J0HN:
Put me in the minority, I think the downtown Hilton is a nice property (at least the towers section is, the original hotel building looked a little run down). As a gold, I was upgraded to the towers building (prior to arrival, it was reflected in my online reservation) and given breakfast coupons for the restaurant downstairs. The location is within walking distance to mass transit.</font>
Well, duh, if you were upgraded to the Towers section, of course you will have a different opinion! I was NOT in the Towers.

As a Diamond, I was on a floor that is suppposedly an HHonors floor. However, the rooms were nothing special. Small room, no safe, no minibar (free bottles of water were provided though). I had to ASK for my breakfast coupons -- they were not provided voluntarily. And the coupons only count for a continental breakfast -- add something like $6 (IIRC) if you want some protein on your buffet. Buffet is OK, but not outstanding -- no omelet station or anything. Breakfast could be taken in either ground-floor restaurant (regular or Towers building). The breakfast at the Towers building was slightly better. Late checkout was flatly denied, and the desk clerk treated me like an idiot to boot. Also, the maid rifled my possessions (in the mistaken belief that I had already checked out when I actually had another day booked). My transit timetable book, which I had picked up at the airport, disappeared from the desk drawer and was not returned. Overall, I wasn't that impressed with the place. (Of course, I had recently spent an award stay at the Hilton Paris. Staying at the Hilton International properties always spoils you for the crummy, nickel-and-dime treatment you get at so many of the U.S. properties.)

Kathy

[This message has been edited by KathyWdrf (edited 10-03-2003).]
Old Oct 3, 03, 2:53 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I have nothing but good things (OK wonderful things) to say about the Embassy Suites downtown. They handed me over the keys to the Presidential Suite as an upgrade, and I was as happy as could be. Just wish it wasn't 100 degrees out and I could have used the fireplace.

Old Oct 3, 03, 4:33 pm

I hate to hop on the anti-Portland Hilton Bandwagon, but if there's any chance that you wouldn't get upgraded, I would actively avoid it - the bathrooms are tiny in the main building and the rooms aren't much larger. By comparison, a lot of the late-80's construction Hampton Inns are spacious.

Eric
Old Oct 3, 03, 7:33 pm

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
Let me, as a Portlander and HHonors gold step in.

It will be easy for you to get to downtown on MAX. Just walk out to the platform and board the train that runs approximately every 15 minutes.

You will not be able to use MAX for your 0645 departure as it does not run early enough for you to check-in with sufficient time. One of the failures of Tri-Met's planning since most flights east leave before 8 a.m.

Taxi should be in the $35.00 range from downtown. You can also use the Portland Airporter which should be considerably less.

Do not stay at the Doubletree on SW Lincoln. It is an old, old Red Lion and looks like it from the exterior. Cannot comment on the interior.

All the discussion about breakfast is just noise, you will not get any leaving as early as you plan. That said, prices at the airport are the same as in town so you can get breakfast there, and there are a number of choices.

The nice thing about staying downtown is that our downtown does not shut down at 5p.m. Restaurants abound, it is safe to walk, it is fairly compact and clean.

We are friendly-this can be a shock to people from the East, if this is a first time visit.

Things to do with only an afternoon in town. Waterfront Park and the Esplanade on the East Bank of the Willamette. Washington Park, The Japanese Garden, walk around downtown, go to Nordstroms and Pioneer Square, look at the fountains in various locations, Eat lunch at inumerable locations. Visit Portland State University and the Park Blocks. Go to the Oregon Historical Society or the Art Museum. Walk along Broadway. See the flasher statue (posed for by Bud Clark our former bartending mayor). Take in a matinee at the Schnitzer.

Visit art galleries. Shameless plug for Lawrence Gallery in the old Winks Hardware Building on NW 9th. Ride the Streetcar-it is free. Remember that fareless square is most of downtown and on the East side to Lloyd Center. Go shopping-spend money-without any sales tax.

Walk into the lobby of the Embassy Suites, even if you do not stay there just for the experience. If you are a bibliophile, visit Powells. They have also have a travel store in Pioneer Courthouse Square.

If the day is clear look East and North for the fabulous views of Mt. Hood and Mt. St. Helens. If the day is really clear you can also see Adams and Rainer-Don't count on it on Nov 1-2. Bring something waterproof or an unbrella.

Best of all, enjoy our city

Old Oct 3, 03, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">All the discussion about breakfast is just noise, you will not get any leaving as early as you plan.</font>
This is only true for the original poster's specific plans (very early morning departure). Lots of others will undoubtedly be reading this info for their own purposes, and breakfast may be important to them.

After all my (semi-)bashing of the Hilton, I must say if I were just staying there one night, and didn't have especially high expectations, and there were cheap rates available (as there are), it would certainly be an acceptable (and convenient) place to stay and collect some HHonors points. Also, if the Towers room is important to you, it might be worth just paying the few extra dollars for it, rather than leaving it to chance.

Kathy

Search this Thread
Search Engine: