Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Oregon, USA {US-OR}

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Oregon, USA {US-OR}

Old May 24, 05, 8:05 am

Programs: Hilton HHonors Gold, Delta Silver Medallion, Hyatt Discoverist
Also, if you stay near the airport, the HI there will pick you up and drop you off. Then you can take the MAX to the convention center in the morning. Also, be on the lookout for any deals at the Hiltons downtown. They're also steps from the MAX and you can be at the convention center in minutes. But the DT at Lloyd Center would be the most convenient, as previously mentioned.
Old May 24, 05, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM , HH-diamond, spg gold,hertz 5 star
Originally Posted by murrayhill
Also, if you stay near the airport, the HI there will pick you up and drop you off. Then you can take the MAX to the convention center in the morning. Also, be on the lookout for any deals at the Hiltons downtown. They're also steps from the MAX and you can be at the convention center in minutes. But the DT at Lloyd Center would be the most convenient, as previously mentioned.
Agree with the other posters, you can use the airport as the center, you have a hampton and a hgi, plus the doubletree lyodd center, plus any other ones that have a shuttle, MAX is simple and quick, a no brainer, I've run the same stay pattern you would like for the last 5 years or so, don't even need to rent a car.

row1a
Old May 24, 05, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If I'm not mistaken, the 5/10/15 promo (to which I think you are referring) is 5/10/15 nights, not stays. So you wouldn't have to hotel-hop at all.

I could be wrong (wouldn't be the first time), but I'd check that out before I ran myself ragged.
Old Feb 9, 06, 1:58 pm

Programs: US CP, HH Diamond, QR Silver, LH, SQ,AA, AF
Best Portland, Oregon Hilton Family Hotel?

Anyone with any hints for the best Hilton familly hotel in Portland, Oregon?
Help would be appreciated.

Last edited by eurousair; Feb 9, 06 at 2:27 pm
Old Feb 9, 06, 2:55 pm

If you have the flexibility to stay outside of Portland, then the Hilton Vancouver, Washington is the obvious no-brainer for this one, IMO. I had a one-night stay there last weekend and got a gigantic room (actually, it was two rooms together - the room gave me access to an attached parlor with a giant table, desk, TV, couches, and so on). The service was wonderful, the restaurant in the lobby is very good, and overall, it was one of the better Hilton stays I've had in the US in quite a while.

(More information on the hotel can be found in this thread.)

If staying downtown (or close to it) is your preference, though, I'd likely choose the DT at Lloyd Center. A search should bring up information about that location (as well as the Hilton, which is not as good of a choice, I don't think).

Mike
Old Feb 9, 06, 3:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: UNITED 2K HILTON DIAMOND
I agree The new hilton in vancouver, wa. is just across the river and top notch. Great restaurant too.
Old Feb 9, 06, 5:39 pm

Programs: ua-mm *G, hilton-gold
the embassy suites at the pdx airport is very nice.
Old Feb 9, 06, 7:27 pm

I take my kids to Portland a couple of times a year.
If you are coming from Germany you will want to be downtown in the city.

The Embassy suites downtown is unbeleivable. It is a restored old hotel and I have been upgraded to huge suites at this hotel. It is near everthing in town. Your kids will love it.

Another option would be the Embassy suites at washington Square. This is in Beaverton or Tigard(west of town) It is right next to the largest Mall in Oregon. My teenagers like this location as well.

With our kids we like to have a suite with a seperate room and the free breakfast and happy hour are nice when traveling with the family.

Have a good trip.
Old Feb 9, 06, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
I second exit17's recommendation of the downtown Embassy Suites on Pine St. It's in a great location, close to everything downtown and an easy four block walk from the Max light rail line. There are a number of great restaurants nearby as well.

The ES is located in the historic Multnomah Hotel, which was restored from an office building conversion to the Embassy Suites in the late 1990s. I stayed there just last week and was given a diamond upgrade to a corner suite on the front of the building. My suite was nearly as big as my condo, with a very nice living area, wet bar with refrigerator, nice bathroom with lots of marble, and a nice-sized bedroom. Breakfast and the evening manager's reception were both very nice, and are located in the site of the historic hotel's Arcadian Gardens restaurant, two levels below the lobby. This area, along with the lobby, include many of the building's original architectural details, and are truly beautiful interior spaces. The indoor pool, located one level below the lobby, is also quite nice. All my encounters with the staff were excellent -- very friendly, helpful people and great service all around.

I highly recommend this property, and will definitely be staying there again on future trips to Portland.
Old Feb 9, 06, 10:24 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Location: San Diego, CA , 4.2MM+ AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold
Ditto on the ES Downtown. Perfect location and hotel for a family.

We were upgraded to a room with a dining room table that could seat 12! Perfect location, we all took the train from the airport and walked a few blocks to the hotel, even with our luggage. Huge breakfast room and the local micro-beer on tap for the manager's reception was first rate. You can even walk to Typhoon for great Thai food.
Old Feb 9, 06, 10:42 pm

Programs: Kimpton Inner Circle, HHonors Silver, Delta Gold Medallion
If you're staying downtown: Embassy Suites. Simply a great property. And you can walk/ride light rail/ride the streetcar to anything you'd be interested in.

If you don't mind the burbs: Hilton Vancouver. Even though I had a bad experience here (took 15 minutes to check me in at 4 a.m.). It's new and very convenient to I-5, which will get you to downtown Portland in 10-15 minutes if traffic is moving.

Looking for a bargain?: HGI in Lake Oswego or Beaverton. I've booked Beaverton in the past for as little as $55 with a AAA discount, even less with Net Direct rate (nonrefundable).

Enjoy the City of Roses!
Old Feb 10, 06, 4:51 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by eurousair
Anyone with any hints for the best Hilton familly hotel in Portland, Oregon?
Help would be appreciated.
I like the Double Tree near the convention center -- it's on the light rail and easy to get to from the airport and because it's on the light rail system, there's almost no place in Portland that you can't get to quickly.

Bob H
Old Feb 10, 06, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As a local Portlander, I'll agree with the votes for the ES Downtown. I took my wife there for our anniversary last year. As a Diamond, they put us in a huge suite, gave us chocolates, champagne, and a nice anniversary card. Great location, great service, and great breakfast buffet.
Old Feb 11, 06, 3:37 am

Programs: HHonors Gold since '02, Hertz President's Circle since '07
RE: Vancouver

I'm sure the HGI Vancouver is nice, but for someone coming to visit Portland this is way out of the way. Public transportation is very good in Portland but not nearly as good in Vancouver. And even if you have a car Vancouver is the worst commute in the area, with I-5 totally clogged most of the daylight hours.

RE: Other Suburbs

Not worth your time unless you are really into American Suburbia, in which case the west side would be the way to go. Washington Square Mall area, Beaverton, Hillsboro, Lake Oswego are all nice areas.

RE:Close In -- the euphemism of the locals for downtown and adjacent areas

Portland has a thriving center city, and the most popular attractions are easily reached from downtown by transit, bicycle, on foot, or car if necessary. But if you stay close in, you'll really only need your car if you travel out of the city.

Yes, ES is quite nice, but don't forget the Hilton. It has gotten very good reports here as well. Read them and it will tell you about the two buildings that comprise the Hiton, and which one is nicer.

However, my personal favorite -- balancing location, price, and service -- is the Doubletree Lloyd Center, just outside of Downtown. It is in the extended downtown area, and you will be treated well.

The DT has always been less than the ES and H when I've checked. They are often $125 whie the DT can usually be had for $70. I have always been upgraded to suites (three visits) and received full breakfast.

There are two types of suites: Lanai suites and Parlor suites. Parlor are in the tower, with large living area adjacent to full size BR. Lanai are poolside in a two story wing (nice in summer) and smaller, but still real suites (two separate rooms). Lanai is the most common upgrade, but parlor isn't unheard of.

Keep in mind that the DT is a fine property but not as up to date and luxurious as the ES and H.

Last edited by Rut Dog; Feb 11, 06 at 3:53 am
Old Feb 11, 06, 3:45 am

Programs: HHonors Gold since '02, Hertz President's Circle since '07
Arrow Misinformation Alert!

Originally Posted by exit17
Another option would be the Embassy suites at washington Square. This is in Beaverton or Tigard(west of town) It is right next to the largest Mall in Oregon.
Sorry, exit17, but Lloyd Center, next to the DT, is the largest mall in Oregon.

Washington Square: 1,345,528 sq. ft., even with the new expansion.

Lloyd Center: 1,452,481 sq. ft.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: